University of Arizona Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will somebody please give me a reason why Phoenix is a better campus than Tucson? I haven't been accepted to Tucson yet but I'm holding off on house shopping until I am officially rejected or accepted to Tucson. Here's my situation:

1. I would much rather live in Phoenix than Tucson
2. The scholarly project really does not interest me
3. I'm worried that Phx has not had a round of boards yet to show how they're doing

What are the +'s of going to Phx other than living in Phx instead of Tucson? Somebody please help me here. I'm obviously stoked that I got into Phx but I'd just like someone to paint the picture for me

I would appreciate some help on this one, too! I was accepted to Phx earlier but Tucson this past Monday, which means I have about a week-and-a-half to decide. It's rough! I'm going to go visit both again next Thursday and Friday. I'm really drawn to Phoenix now, but after the interviews I felt like Tucson was it. I love the more individualized education Phx offers, but honestly, should I be concerned about lack of stats and effects of economy/budget cuts?

Also, have any of you considered MD/MBA or MD/JD? I believe this would be Tucson only...

Members don't see this ad.

so is it too early to start thinking about housing? i was just wondering if there is an area where med students tend to live/ what people will be doing about housing.

It's never too early to at least start making a plan. I too am very concerned with this. I am actually battling more about what to do with my current house in Mesa (sell it in a horrible housing market or rent it to tenants who could potentially destroy it). Elchhh. Ultimately, I'd love to get a place in the Catalina foothills where my wife and I could be close enough to good schools where she can teach and I can be semi-close enough to the SOM campus. This summer is going to be an...er...adventure :scared:

I would appreciate some help on this one, too! I was accepted to Phx earlier but Tucson this past Monday, which means I have about a week-and-a-half to decide. It's rough! I'm going to go visit both again next Thursday and Friday. I'm really drawn to Phoenix now, but after the interviews I felt like Tucson was it. I love the more individualized education Phx offers, but honestly, should I be concerned about lack of stats and effects of economy/budget cuts?

Also, have any of you considered MD/MBA or MD/JD? I believe this would be Tucson only...

I had a pretty difficult time deciding between the two programs as well. However, I ended up chosing Tucson. Although I was a little concerned re: lack of stats and budget cuts in Phoenix, the main reason for chosing Tucson was that the advantages that come with having a teaching hospital directly connected to the school were too great to overlook. Also, the advantages of the Phoenix campus (small class size so know professors well, scholarly project, etc.) are still existent at the Tucson campus, according to current students. My friends in Tucson say they get to know the faculty on a very personal level, it is a very tight-knit group, and they have just as much opportunity for research though it is individually motivated (rather than mandated by the program like in Phoenix). I do agree that Phoenix may give you "more varied" clinical opportunities since they work with so many different hospitals and facilities, but this seems to more important for 3rd and 4th year--which you can chose to attend in Phoenix even if you complete your 1st and 2nd in Tucson. However, I still really like Phoenix and have a lot of confidence in the program there, so I am sure wherever you chose will give you an excellent medical education.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat of choosing a campus right now and I am leaning toward Phoenix, mainly because the faculty seems very intent on making the students happy, as well as the fact I like the capstone weeks.
I am curious if I missed something at Tucson, a lot of people seem to like it better there, but the admissions office was not nearly as friendly to me, and on the interview day they didn't really mention much about what makes Tucson special. I am out of school and went to school OOS so maybe I missed some information about the school. Can those of you who chose Tucson give advice on what you like that is unique? I have never lived in Phoenix and have no desire to live with the parents in Tucson thus I don't have much preference of cities.

I am in the same boat of choosing a campus right now and I am leaning toward Phoenix, mainly because the faculty seems very intent on making the students happy, as well as the fact I like the capstone weeks.
I am curious if I missed something at Tucson, a lot of people seem to like it better there, but the admissions office was not nearly as friendly to me, and on the interview day they didn't really mention much about what makes Tucson special. I am out of school and went to school OOS so maybe I missed some information about the school. Can those of you who chose Tucson give advice on what you like that is unique? I have never lived in Phoenix and have no desire to live with the parents in Tucson thus I don't have much preference of cities.

What I like re: Tucson campus that is unique:
-Societies program: matched with a faculty member in small groups (I think 5?), meet every week to learn clinical skills, do case studies, etc.
-CUP program: community service program (Phoenix has these opportunities also, but since they are new and have fewer students, there are not as many and not developed to the extent as in Tucson)
-teaching hospital (UMC) *** (convenience for clincals, get to interact all the time with various health professionals, research opportunities, etc.)
-anatomy lab: Tucson has their own anatomy lab with cadavers only for medical students (each cadaver is shared by 4 students and the students get to do the prosections themselves throughout the year during each block...in Phoenix they share cadavers with other institutes and I was told they are already prosected for them)
-faculty: most of the faculty have been teaching there for 20 years or so (when my dad was there in the 80's he had some of the same professors I will have), they know what works well for students and what doesn't
-student spirit: all the students I know absolutely love it there, they all hang out in the student commons together, do intramural sports, etc.

A few key points about Tucson that Phoenix lacks: Virtually unlimited access to UMC (according to first year students there), more established program that allows for more opporunities with less effort (phx has limited clubs/organizations. You can start them...if you have time), stronger reputation as a medical school around the country, and a well established medical research department (unlike the empty benches I saw in Phx during my interview in ABC 1).

Secondly, I live in Tucson already and have some housing options already set up. We are actually looking for a 4th...so far its 1 male and 2 females. We are all graduate/medical students. So, if anyone is interested post a reply!

Is anyone completing the UA scholarship application? I am trying to get it in my the March 1st priority deadline, but I have been putting off the narrative portion...I am so sick of writing about myself! But, I definitely need the money so I'll have to suck it up.

For any of you that have already completed it, did you write a new narrative or re-use text from your applications?

Is anyone completing the UA scholarship application? I am trying to get it in my the March 1st priority deadline, but I have been putting off the narrative portion...I am so sick of writing about myself! But, I definitely need the money so I'll have to suck it up.

For any of you that have already completed it, did you write a new narrative or re-use text from your applications?

Narrative portion?

So does the Scholarship app take into account our parents ability to help us, or just if we say they are going to? Also does anyone know if it is a post mark date for the priority or the received date?

I am not sure if it's a post-marked or received-by date, but the office told me that it's not really a deadline, just a suggested "priority" submission date. So, I will probablly put it in the mail tomorrow (live in Phoenix) and hope it gets to Tucson by Monday--although that will technically be March 2nd, I don't think they will be checking their mail on sunday.

I just got accepted this morning, I'll be attending the Tucson campus. I am so excited and happy that the wait is finally over! I interviewed in September for crying out loud! :D

Congratulations! Well deserved :)

Congrats merryjoulton! Welcome to the land of relief and hooray!

I'm curious about housing as well. I'm going to rent a room if possible in Tucson but will keep my house in Tempe as my partner works here. I'll be driving home on weekends. No great options, but we'll see what the next few months bring.

I already sent in my scholarship ap. Does anyone what kind of scholarships are even offered? Or how likely it is to get one?

Members don't see this ad :)
When is U of A going to release their waitlist and declines?

Anne said no later than mid-March (~March 15 max which is a Sunday so March 13?)

For those of you who had to choose a campus between Phoenix and Tucson, how did you go about it? Just e-mailed both campuses or sent in formal letters??? Did you explain your choice? Would appreciate some feedback...

Anne said no later than mid-March (~March 15 max which is a Sunday so March 13?)

For those of you who had to choose a campus between Phoenix and Tucson, how did you go about it? Just e-mailed both campuses or sent in formal letters??? Did you explain your choice? Would appreciate some feedback...

I was accepted to Tucson first, and had to write a letter of acceptance (just of the offer in order to hold my place, its not binding you to go there in August) by two weeks post-acceptance. Once I was accepted to Phx, I just emailed them a note saying that I would not be attending there. Whichever campus you decline from will give you a response acknowledging it, and I am sure they communicate to the other campus when that happens. I don't think it is at all necessary to tell the campus you are picking that you declined the other offer.

I sent a letter (email form) to both campuses addressed to Dr. Hernandez and Office of Admissions and Student Affairs (Phoenix) and Dr. Leadem and Office of Admissions and Student Affairs (Tucson). I didn't really explain my reasoning, but did say how excited I was to be a part of the UA COM and I appreciated both campus's offices for their guidance and support along the way. I mentioned to Phoenix (one that I declined) how honored I was to receive an acceptance but that after careful consideration I would be withdrawing it to attend the Tucson campus. Of course in the letter to Tucson I added more about looking forward to meeting my class, etc. Hope this helps!

I was accepted to Tucson first, and had to write a letter of acceptance (just of the offer in order to hold my place, its not binding you to go there in August) by two weeks post-acceptance. Once I was accepted to Phx, I just emailed them a note saying that I would not be attending there. Whichever campus you decline from will give you a response acknowledging it, and I am sure they communicate to the other campus when that happens. I don't think it is at all necessary to tell the campus you are picking that you declined the other offer.

Actually, in the letter of acceptance from Tucson it says you must let each campus know of your final decision. So I would advise sending a letter to Tucson letting them know you are chosing to attend their campus.

I noticed on the second look invitation that people are bringing guests. Are we allowed to bring people? And, if so, who?

Thanks pasdechat and DrO for the feedback!

For those who got accepted this past Friday, did you guys get your letter in the mail yet (the one with the affidavit, etc?)?

I am also wondering about how many guests we can bring...can we bring 4+??

I was accepted Friday and still haven't received the letter. I live 9 miles from the school, so I wonder if it wasn't sent out yet.

i was accepted monday (last week) and i finally got my letter today. I'm scared that they won't get it within the two weeks and they'll revoke my admittance (i know that it wouldn't actually happen, but still not something worth testing)

I noticed that too so I called the office today and she told me that family is encouraged to come.

Thanks!

So, is anyone bringing parents? I can totally understand bringing significant others, but bringing my parents might feel a little weird unless everyone else was too.

I also was accepted a week ago. I just had to get that off my chest. I'm totally psyched. I went to U of A undergrad a few ages ago and I'm damb glad to be coming back! I love seltzer!

Hey spelledout, get that sucker in the mail. However, I'm sure they only start counting once you actually get the letter.

So, is anyone bringing parents? I can totally understand bringing significant others, but bringing my parents might feel a little weird unless everyone else was too.

If my parents were living closer than several states away (Oregon and Georgia), I would definitely bring them. I am however likely going to bring my grandparents-in-law. They have watched my wife and I go through this journey, so I definitely think they should get to see what it's all about on 2nd look day.

I'll be on my own for 2nd look day. But I hope to have my family there for the white coat ceremony. I am excited about sharing that moment with my two terrific daughters.

Spelledout--

Yes, you should get an e-mail confirmation right when they receive your letter/affidavit. I sent mine priority too and it got to them the same day. They replied the next business day.

It will just be my husband and I at Second Look, mainly because my parents already know a lot about medical school through my father's own experience (he's a physician, graduate from UA med actually!). However, my parents, my in-laws, and my grandparents will probablly all come to the White Coat Ceremony.

It will be exciting to get to meet some of you in person! Can't wait!

Does anyone know how easily parking permits for Tucson can be obtained? When should we order one to ensure that they're still available?

Usually pretty hard to obtain! I would order one as soon as you can. I would look at the parking webpage and find out when you can request one. Parking is usually pretty tight at UofA. And I dont think you get any special bonus being a med student over an undergrad. But once you get a permit, finding a space is not bad at all. Also all of the first year classes start at 9am, and parking is usually pretty wide open.

Just wanted to say hi to my new class. I'm living in Mexico at the moment so I wont be back for the second look but hopefully we can all get together before the school year starts. Drinks anyone (alcoholic or not)? I'll be in Tucson for No Mas Muertes in July if anyone want to get together.

Is anyone making a group outside of SDN? I'd like to see what makes us all unique.

Salud!

Thanks for the reminder about parking!!! I had it on my to-do list but I keep forgetting.

Hola tam83 y bienvenidos a SDN! Why are you in Mexico? Estas estudiando alla? Ahhhh, it feels good to practice Spanish and realize that the minor in Spanish did actually help me retain the language-learning from high school!

Anyhow, I look forward to meeting all of you on Second Look Day and when school starts...although I don't think I'll be giving up my identity when I do meet you :prof:

Or maybe I will??? :confused:;):D

Funny that Spanish cropped up. I have time on my hands right now and had just decided to focus on improving my limited Spanish. I did an internship in Ecuador a while back, which was great, but it's definately a use it or lose it skill. Creo que voy a attendar el grupo de espaniol clases circa mi casa. Man, that was rough. I do need work! :p

Has anyone received a hard copy invitation for Phoenix's Second Look Day through US Mail yet? I was just curious, and hoping I didn't somehow miss it...

Also, just this morning I accepted the offer from Phoenix and declined my seat in Tucson, so hello to all of my future Phoenix classmates! Woo-hoo! It was an extremely hard decision, but I feel good about it :)

Funny that Spanish cropped up. I have time on my hands right now and had just decided to focus on improving my limited Spanish. I did an internship in Ecuador a while back, which was great, but it's definately a use it or lose it skill. Creo que voy a attendar el grupo de espaniol clases circa mi casa. Man, that was rough. I do need work! :p

That's a good idea as I doubt any of us will have time to work on it come August :eek:...with the exception of those of you who are freakishly efficient studiers.

I don't think I qualify as the feakishly efficient. I did discover, while studying for the MCAT, that I don't mind, and kind of like studying for long hours. Ahh, I will eat these words I know.

It looks like tomorrow is D-day for Tucson waitlist or rejection. Not sure about phx. I've been wondering if I might get a crack at phx, but am settled and happy with Tucson if I don't.

Time to eat dinner. I am the domestic diva nowdays and actually cleaned the BBQ today. I had plans for other work, but settled in the sun this afternoon, with a book and a beer. Gotta enjoy this time while I can. :)

I'm in the same boat. I also was accepted to Tucson, which I am very happy about, but haven't heard anything from Phoenix. Do you know when they put out their wait-list or final acceptances...

I'm in the same boat. I also was accepted to Tucson, which I am very happy about, but haven't heard anything from Phoenix. Do you know when they put out their wait-list or final acceptances...

Someone posted in the other UA thread that Phoenix would release it's waitlist/rejections on March 23.

Hi guys! Accepted at PHX and waitlisted at Tucson #39...my first choice. I have no idea how deep the WL will go this year...Anyways, I'm super excited to continue being a Wildcat and having most of you as classmates soon!

To inform the schools of my decision I just emailed Tanisha at Tucson, told her I was honored to be accepted that I'd be attending the Phoenix campus instead, and for the Phoenix campus I just emailed them too. No formal letter or anything :thumbup:

Yes, I did the same. I just e-mailed both campuses and informed both of my decision. I love Arizona :love::biglove:

I'm curious about the dress code to, if anyone has any specifics that would be great.

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. I want to know if I need to go out and get a handful of new ties. I actually really like the idea of a dress code. It gives it that extra professional touch, so to speak.

During lecture days you don't have a dress code. During doctoring or I guess sometimes when a special guest comes in, you have to wear a dress shirt and slacks.

During lecture days you don't have a dress code. During doctoring or I guess sometimes when a special guest comes in, you have to wear a dress shirt and slacks.

There a few basic rules that always apply, no athletic wear, no visible underwear/straps, exposed midriff, or clothes with holes or tears, etc. The thought is that even in the hallways and elevators people will identify you as med students. Thus the faculty wants everyone dressed as appropriate professional students. Even if its just on normal lecture days with no patient interaction.

On societies, clinics, all CUP activities, hospital shadowing, guest faculty, patient presentations, or any patient attended sessions then full professional attire/closed toe shoes is required. Guys that's dress slacks and dress shirts, tie highly recommended. Girls can be dress slacks or dresses/skirts but nothing revealing or strappy. One of the deans is big on the no straps and exposed midriff and is not afraid to let you know about complying.

Professional Attire Required. White coats are acceptable but are not required. Dress is to be utilitarian and practical; it should not be a distraction for the diverse group of patients and staff who we see. Examples of acceptable professional attire include: For Men: Button-down shirt, Pants (not jeans), Socks & Shoes, Underwear cannot be visible For Women: Shirt or blouse, Pants (not jeans), Skirts or Dresses (knee-length or longer). Tops should not be low-cut, have spaghetti straps or be anything more revealing. Midriffs should not be visible. Underwear cannot be visible.

While they are not very strict on normal class days, they do want students to be professional in attire. But when they ask for professional dress, it is required and the faculty will say something if you are not complying. Dr Leadem/Dr Kof also talk about it during orientation at length to make sure everyone understands. And there is an icon that displays on that class session on your ArizonaMed calendar to remind you.

So I just emailed my decision yesterday looks like Ill be making the move down to tucson! Man I think I spent more time thinking about the choice between phoenix and tucson then I did on the actual MCAT. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates it still hasnt hit me yet that this is it that I wont have to be retaking that horrid test again and reapplying everywhere :)

oh yea and does anyone have any recommendations for a nice apartment complex in a good area?

it still hasnt hit me yet that this is it that I wont have to be retaking that horrid test again and reapplying everywhere :)

I cannot emphasize enough how much I agree with you on this! I had purchased the whole set of Examkrackers books two days prior to my getting accepted at the Tucson campus. The money lost on that is indescribably worth the relief of getting accepted ten...make that 100 times over.