University of Arizona Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just emailed my decision yesterday looks like Ill be making the move down to tucson! Man I think I spent more time thinking about the choice between phoenix and tucson then I did on the actual MCAT. Looking forward to meeting my future classmates it still hasnt hit me yet that this is it that I wont have to be retaking that horrid test again and reapplying everywhere :)

so true. i was so prepared for what to do to reapply (in what would have been two cycles) right before i got accepted. I then immediately withdrew from the other position i was applying for.

oh yea and does anyone have any recommendations for a nice apartment complex in a good area?

i'm going down to tucson the day before the second look to look at apartments in the area.

oy, i still have 2 months of school and a thesis to write, but i can't think about anything but next year -- i'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Man I was already going to my Plan B and C's I was starting to apply to podiatry and osteopathic schools because God knows I wasnt going to sit down and go through my examcracker books again!

Good luck on that thesis though i think youll need it if I was in your shoes I have no idea how I would be able to write a thesis knowing that I got in already. Ill see ya at the second look

Has anyone finished filling out the Financial Aid/Scholarship Application? What do you think is the appropriate length for the narrative? They ask for you to discuss quite a bit but I don't want to make it too long..Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone finished filling out the Financial Aid/Scholarship Application? What do you think is the appropriate length for the narrative? They ask for you to discuss quite a bit but I don't want to make it too long..Thanks!

My narrative ended up being about 1.5 pages long (single spaced with 12 point font), but I think since they didn't give a length requirement that we can pretty much write however much we want...I would say just write as much as you think accurately reflects who you are and answers the important questions.

I have a question about insurance. I believe we are required to purchase health insurance though the school?? Does that also cover other family members?? And, does it include dental insurance?? Any info would be great.

I have a question about insurance. I believe we are required to purchase health insurance though the school?? Does that also cover other family members?? And, does it include dental insurance?? Any info would be great.

You are not required to purchase health insurance through the school, you're just required to have insurance. The schools insurance plan is the same plan offered to undergrads and you can find all the info about it on UA's website. Premiums start at about $600/semester for individual plans and go up from there.

so does anyone know how match day went this year for UA? I'm curious, but I can't find anything online

Well I just got rejected by phx. Not too upset, I felt a lot better about Tucson and they evidently felt a lot better about me! It does mean a lot more upheaval, but that often works out just fine. So see you at all at the Tucson second look! I'll be wearing the fedora and have a rose between my teeth;). Ok not really, and Go Wildcats!

The 4th years all matched really well. I know I was really impressed, hopefully that trend will continue the next few years! If you want to see specifics, names/residency locations are all posted in the hallway on a big US map in front of the admissions office.

The 4th years all matched really well. I know I was really impressed, hopefully that trend will continue the next few years! If you want to see specifics, names/residency locations are all posted in the hallway on a big US map in front of the admissions office.

cool i'll have to check it out when i'm back for second look!

So, it's a definite Tucson for me. What's odd is that on Wednesday of last week I send PHX an email asking to be removed from consideration as I have decided Tucson is where I want to be, yet I still got a rejection from PHX today :eyebrow:. One of two things must have happened...either my email was too late to be processed or it was some sor of formality. Either way, I am thrilled about Tucson. For some reason I just got a better feeling there...as though my learning style fit more. So, I am excited and looking forward to meeting the rest of you (Tucson goers) at second look day! As for Phoenix goers, I really hope that there will be opportunities for us (Phx and Tucson) to meet and work together collaboratively in the future.

Have any of you Phx students gotten anything in the mail about 2nd Look? Has anyone heard much more about it besides the email sent several weeks ago? Just wondering... seems like it's coming up fast. Maybe I'll call them today.

Similar question, does anyone know the dress for Tucson's 2nd look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar question, does anyone know the dress for Tucson's 2nd look?

i don't know specifics, but i was looking on other threads and it seems that most people agree that for guys a button down shirt and khakis, etc (business casual?).

Well, I got the call at 8:08 this morning that I got in to Tucson! Yay! Can't wait to see you guys at second look!

You are going to have to change your MSU CHM Class of 2013 now :D

Lol, you're right, thanks!

I rsvp'd to second look... does anyone know where this Kiewit Auditorium is? And what's the dress code for second look- can I come in jeans? If it's supposed to be a "relaxed second look," I'd really be most relaxed in jeans. =)

You are going to have to change your MSU CHM Class of 2013 now :D

Lol, you're right, thanks!

I rsvp'd to second look... does anyone know where this Kiewit Auditorium is? And what's the dress code for second look- can I come in jeans? If it's supposed to be a "relaxed second look," I'd really be most relaxed in jeans. =)

Kiewit is the auditorium on the main floor of the Arizona Cancer Center. Its not far from the main hospital entrance and driveway to UMC.

Hello!

So I clicked the Special Events link on the UofA Medicine website and there was info. on the class of 2009 Match Day for the UofA (I believe it's at the very top of the page...there's a link that takes you to a Google map with all the info.).

Also, at the bottom of the page, there's info. on our class of 2013...I'm sure we'll be getting more details on Second Look Day! But since they've posted all this info. already, it's nice to have a heads up.

See you guys on the 10th! :hello:

On another note, I hope UofA can find a great coach to hire after tonight's embarrassment to the Cards. I grew up in Louisville though and I've been a UofL fan for most of my life, so I was cheering for the 39 point winner :)

Oh my! I know, UofA got crushed...but I'm glad they made it as far as the sweet 16 considering all they've been through this year. But you're now a Wildcat so even if you grew up in Louisville, you must now support the Wildcats!!! :D It's a rule you know!

I just wanted to say that I am so freakin' excited for Second Look Day in a couple of weeks! I have the most unbelievable senior-itis as I try to finish my undergrad degrees, and I can't wait to be at the next level, you know?!

I can't wait to meet you all (oh, well, Phoenix students, that is - I wish I could meet you Tucson folks, but we'll have to do that some other time :) )!

Hello!

So I clicked the Special Events link on the UofA Medicine website and there was info. on the class of 2009 Match Day for the UofA (I believe it's at the very top of the page...there's a link that takes you to a Google map with all the info.).

Also, at the bottom of the page, there's info. on our class of 2013...I'm sure we'll be getting more details on Second Look Day! But since they've posted all this info. already, it's nice to have a heads up.

See you guys on the 10th! :hello:

Okay, wait... I can't find the Class of 2013 thing... where was it?

Has anyone started doing their look book yet?

I talked with a current 2nd year, and she said the Second Look day dress code is business casual. Goodbye, jeans, how I will miss you.

It kind of got me excited, seeing that Class of 2013 stuff. Wow, this is really going to happen.

Does anyone no when the white coat ceremony is?? I want my girls to come, but they seem to want to take trips and have lives during the summer- go figure!

1) What kind of laptop is everyone going to get for Fall? Current students-do you recommend a certain brand or type that has worked well for you? I've had a Dell for 4 years, but was thinking of getting a Macbook.

Also, are there any very useful applications for I-phone, Blackberry, or Palm that current students recommend? I am getting a new phone tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone really uses any med applications on their phone...

2) For those of you going to Phx 2nd Look, is everyone going all 3 days? I am supposed to work a long shift Saturday and didn't know if anyone else was planning on missing 1 of the 3 days? Who is everyone bringing to 2nd look?

I'm planning on getting a Dell. My husband has a really good track record with is, and I hated my Toshiba. =)

1) What kind of laptop is everyone going to get for Fall? Current students-do you recommend a certain brand or type that has worked well for you? I've had a Dell for 4 years, but was thinking of getting a Macbook.

Also, are there any very useful applications for I-phone, Blackberry, or Palm that current students recommend? I am getting a new phone tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone really uses any med applications on their phone...

2) For those of you going to Phx 2nd Look, is everyone going all 3 days? I am supposed to work a long shift Saturday and didn't know if anyone else was planning on missing 1 of the 3 days? Who is everyone bringing to 2nd look?

Hey, Cuddy,

I think I'm going to get the computer the med school recommends - the tablet PC. I know many students have said they don't use that function, but I need a new computer and have always wanted a tablet anyway, and I think it's something that I would utilize. Just my personal preference.

I second your question on phone/Blackberry applications - can any current students comment?

And yes, I will be at all three days of the Phx Second Look. I'm bringing my parents (one or both) and my fiancee if he can get off work. If you can't make Saturday, it's probably not a problem since that's the community service day - the other two days seem more important as far as getting to know the students and school, although community service is a great way to get to know fellow classmates!

Can't wait to meet you!

My family will be moving to Tucson, and we'll probably need a 3 or 4 bedroom place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking and any other general suggestions about housing in Tucson? What is the best neighborhood to live in as a med student?

Thanks. Looking foward to meeting all of my classmates.

Hey, Cuddy,

I think I'm going to get the computer the med school recommends - the tablet PC. I know many students have said they don't use that function, but I need a new computer and have always wanted a tablet anyway, and I think it's something that I would utilize. Just my personal preference.

I second your question on phone/Blackberry applications - can any current students comment?

And yes, I will be at all three days of the Phx Second Look. I'm bringing my parents (one or both) and my fiancee if he can get off work. If you can't make Saturday, it's probably not a problem since that's the community service day - the other two days seem more important as far as getting to know the students and school, although community service is a great way to get to know fellow classmates!

Can't wait to meet you!

I cant speak from personal experience but I have heard very bad things about that gateway tablet that they recommend. And the company that sells it. Personally I ordered mine from Costco Build to order section. Then you have the Costco warranty on top of the manufactures. Not to mention if your price it out, that Gateway is a ripoff. You can get lots faster and nicer for much cheaper.

PS We got anti-virus and Office 07 free, they loaded it during orientation

My family will be moving to Tucson, and we'll probably need a 3 or 4 bedroom place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start looking and any other general suggestions about housing in Tucson? What is the best neighborhood to live in as a med student?

Thanks. Looking foward to meeting all of my classmates.

You might want to look west of campus at the Gates/Starr Pass area, or North of campus in the River Road area, or heading East from the school towards Country Club. Just my thoughts, as I dont know your price range or what not. Be prepared for 5-10 min drive, as many of the homes right around the campus are prone to break ins and other crimes.

My partner is a computer person and has been wanting a tablet laptop. Her research has led her to think the fujistu (hope that spelling is right) is the best one around.

Where is the laptop rec/specs at??

My partner is a computer person and has been wanting a tablet laptop. Her research has led her to think the fujistu (hope that spelling is right) is the best one around.

Where is the laptop rec/specs at??

Yeah, I've been doing some research of my own since Kros's posts a couple back. There's an HP Pavilion that seems to be highly rated and recommended for students. I heard the good thing about getting the Gateway through U of A is that it comes loaded with the programs you need, plus there is tech support available through school if it breaks - is this not correct? Maybe I'm mixing this up with other schools' laptop programs...

Yeah, I've been doing some research of my own since Kros's posts a couple back. There's an HP Pavilion that seems to be highly rated and recommended for students. I heard the good thing about getting the Gateway through U of A is that it comes loaded with the programs you need, plus there is tech support available through school if it breaks - is this not correct? Maybe I'm mixing this up with other schools' laptop programs...

It does NOT come preloaded with any special programs in particular. There really isn't any programs that you specifically need, exp for Office and Adobe Reader. It comes loaded wiht the same programs as any other laptop setup purchased elsewhere. There are computer people for the college of medicine and they will help you with ANY computer, Not just the gateway. They helped me with my Hp get set up and going, and with troubleshooting a defective hard drive issue. Very nice people :D

Hence if you want a tablet consider the Fujitsu or the Hp tablets. Or just shop around for laptops. I got mine with a coupon deal at Costco. They even have the tablet in a build to order format. Macs are also perfectly fine, but you may not get Office installed for free. The only program that I know that is not available on Mac is the digitaleyepiece histo program. Honestly I don't know of a single person that has ever used it outside of the MDL. Programs that you will need for a session or histo are loaded in the MDL computers for that reason.

Sorry to be harsh on the gateway and that computer company, but I know one or two people that had serious issues with the company and with the computer. Ultimately they highly regretted ordering the computer from them.

http://omc.arizona.edu/students/index.cfm

Last edited:
Why does the U of A recommend the tablet? In other words, what type of uses and applications are useful or essential for med school that are unique to a tablet pc?

Sorry to be harsh on the gateway and that computer company, but I know one or two people that had serious issues with the company and with the computer. Ultimately they highly regretted ordering the computer from them.

http://omc.arizona.edu/students/index.cfm

That's awesome, Kros, thanks, and thanks for being harsh! Naturally, I want info and opinions so that I don't make mistakes I could've avoided.

And Kros, I know you probably could better answer Seltzer's question, but it seems like a personal preference on the tablet. When I had to decide between Phx and Tucson I went back to both and shadowed some students, and one girl in Phx has a tablet (the Gateway, actually, which she seems to like). In speaking to her about it (and watching her use it in class), I decided it is something I would like. She used it mainly on the instructor's powerpoint slides online during the lecture to circle thing, add her own notes, and make some sketches. I find that I am torn in lecture between using my laptop for note-taking or just using paper because (being not particularly computer-savvy) I cannot draw things into my notes with only a computer keyboard.

You have a tablet, Kros, is that right? Are you happy with the tablet function?

That's awesome, Kros, thanks, and thanks for being harsh! Naturally, I want info and opinions so that I don't make mistakes I could've avoided.

And Kros, I know you probably could better answer Seltzer's question, but it seems like a personal preference on the tablet. When I had to decide between Phx and Tucson I went back to both and shadowed some students, and one girl in Phx has a tablet (the Gateway, actually, which she seems to like). In speaking to her about it (and watching her use it in class), I decided it is something I would like. She used it mainly on the instructor's PowerPoint slides online during the lecture to circle thing, add her own notes, and make some sketches. I find that I am torn in lecture between using my laptop for note-taking or just using paper because (being not particularly computer-savvy) I cannot draw things into my notes with only a computer keyboard.

You have a tablet, Kros, is that right? Are you happy with the tablet function?

That's the thing about computers, she has the gateway and loves it. Personally I do not have a tablet, just a regular Hp laptop. I was not to big on the idea of the tablet and pen idea, and was happy that I didn't have to have it. All of our notes are printed and I usually just have the copy center bind them with a spiral for 2-3 bucks. Works very well for me. Others do use the tablet and like it for notes. The problem encountered is that some faculty will only post their notes on AzMed after their lecture. Or will only post pdf over PowerPoint files. I don't know if only certain files are tablet compatible or not. Most of the class just uses paper for their notes. Some days you might have 4-6 hours of lecture and then worry about battery life. There aren't any plugs in the main lecture room except at the lectern. And I am not sure if the other MSI's on here have tablets, I dont think so. But that is the main reason for having the tablet is to write/draw on the notes. And one could argue if its that essential for med school. Phoenix is much bigger on it than we are, from what I have heard. Its really hard to recommend much other than to go with what you know and like. Esp when if you take notes on it, you will be carrying it every day and keep it charged. If it seems cumbersome then dont do it. Seems like that dramatically changes the cost of the laptop and its specs, when you choose notebook vs tablet.

At the Phoenix campus it seems that all the students bring laptops to lecture everyday since the notes are distributed on OneNote. There are outlets in all of the lecture rooms, so battery life seems to be less of an issue.

Krosburg, brroother thanks for the feedback. I definitely like the idea of using the tablet, but from what you say, I think I might personally be more efficient just writing on bound notes.

As an aside, I think it's very annoying when a professor only gives you notes until after class. I get so much more out of it when I have the notes during class.

Krosburg, brroother thanks for the feedback. I definitely like the idea of using the tablet, but from what you say, I think I might personally be more efficient just writing on bound notes.

As an aside, I think it's very annoying when a professor only gives you notes until after class. I get so much more out of it when I have the notes during class.

Well you do receive the notes before class at the start of the block, but they range from outline bullet points to 15 page mini-textbooks. We don't get them digitally like Phoenix at all. Then either just before or right after lecture, the lecture slides themselves are posted in pdf or powerpoint format. The lecture slides are different from the lecture notes that you will have at the start of the block. This could be why Tucson doesnt have as many tablets, since we dont get digital Onenote versions.

So I just wanted to confirm with those of you going to Phx 2nd Look about the dress..

For the mixer it says "dress to impress"--so that means dress and heels for girls most likely right?

For the next event on campus and then the D'back game (which is soooo cool that they are doing that for us), it says "casual" dress...are flip flops/sandals OK then for girls?

Haha..I just want to make sure I am not dressed way down or too much for all of this. Thanks.

For the mixer, I agree that it is a 'little black dress' type of event. As for Friday's event, I think on campus is business casual while the game is flip flop appropriate. Since the email said ".You are welcome to bring an extra set of clothes for the game!" .I think there is a certain level of professionalism that should be present on campus. But that's just my interpretation....

For the mixer, I agree that it is a 'little black dress' type of event. As for Friday's event, I think on campus is business casual while the game is flip flop appropriate. Since the email said ".You are welcome to bring an extra set of clothes for the game!" .I think there is a certain level of professionalism that should be present on campus. But that's just my interpretation....

Good to know, Spicyangel - I think I skimmed over that part, so it's a good thing you pointed that out. I am glad to hear the topic brought up about dress for the Thursday night thing. I wasn't sure if it's more formal, like long-dress formal, or cocktail-dress, etc. We should all just decide on here what we want it to be so that a significant group of us will at least be consistent!

I'm driving to Tucson Friday morning for 2nd look from Tempe. It's just me this trip. If anyone wants to carpool with me they are welcome. I'll be coming back to phx area afterwards. I may also try and pop in and get white-coat fitted while I'm in town.

Let me know, otherwise, I'll see y-all at The Look. :cool:

I know we will all be getting info on the details of registration and the like later in the spring, but does anyone happen to have any info on that as of now? And if so, where'd you find it? For instance, when do we get registered, what does the process entail, etc. Meanwhile I am so excited for meeting you all in Tucson on Friday! This has all been so surreal up to this point. Maybe on Friday I will realize it's not all just a dream :D

I know we will all be getting info on the details of registration and the like later in the spring, but does anyone happen to have any info on that as of now? And if so, where'd you find it? For instance, when do we get registered, what does the process entail, etc. Meanwhile I am so excited for meeting you all in Tucson on Friday! This has all been so surreal up to this point. Maybe on Friday I will realize it's not all just a dream :D

I think you do the registration over late summer, since we have a organ system schedule you have no choice in classes. You just sign up for the 4-5 classes that they want you too. Its really easy and all done on the computer in like 5 minutes. Type in course number, click add, go to next class and repeat. Everything is blocked and restricted to med students only so you dont have to worry about fighting to get a class. If I remember right you sign up for Prologue(MED 812), Foundations (MED 813), Neuro (MED 817), and Societies (MED 826). But many of the dates and times dont match, they just allow the faculty to give you the credit. Its hard to explain as it is quite different from the undergrad model, but they will cover it in orientation.

http://garnet.ccit.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/schedule/schedule.cgi?MEDxzz094zOpen

Good to know, Spicyangel - I think I skimmed over that part, so it's a good thing you pointed that out. I am glad to hear the topic brought up about dress for the Thursday night thing. I wasn't sure if it's more formal, like long-dress formal, or cocktail-dress, etc. We should all just decide on here what we want it to be so that a significant group of us will at least be consistent!

Thanks Spicyangel-you made some good points. I think Thursday night is more cocktail-dress. I plan on wearing a simple black or dark-colored cocktail dress...

I also agree that business casual is most appropriate for Friday events before the game..but would you say business casual with professional heels and dress pants is ideal? Or would heels be too much for the tours, group activities?

Sorry boys..these things are not so simple for us and I would feel much better if a group of us girls is dressed consistently. :laugh:

Sorry boys..these things are not so simple for us and I would feel much better if a group of us girls is dressed consistently. :laugh:

Lol, for sure, Cuddy - I would feel much better as well! :D

Wow, I hadn't even started thinking about dress for second look, I'm still trying to work out with phx finding a student to stay with.
That said I was wondering if anyone was driving from Tucson to Phoenix on Thursday. I cant seem to get the phoenix list serve to work so as to send a mass email. I would prefer to carpool and chip in for gas rather than take an airport shuttle to Phoenix. If anyone is making the trip Thursday, or knows someone making the trip, PM me to figure out logistics.