University of California, Davis: visiting 4 weeks as exchange student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mangostin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a student from Netherlands - Belgium who got the opportunity to apply for a clinical rotation of 2 - 4 weeks at Dentistry and Oral Surgery at the University of Davis, California. Knowing my ticket will be quite expensive to get there and room and board should also be paid, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile.
Could anyone give me some information about how the university is like? How much does room and board cost around there? Is anyone familiar with the Dentistry and Oral Surgery of Companion Animals rotation from Dr. Verstraete?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mangostin!
I haven't worked personally with Dr Verstraete (only a second-year student here), but he did one lecture for us and it was well-organized and easy to follow, for what it's worth.
As far as room and board goes, have you talked to the school about helping you find a place? We get regular emails from administration on behalf of exchange students looking for places to stay. The cost really varies depending on if you're sharing an apartment, house, etc. Most are between $500-$1000 per month though, for a room. Entire apartments tend to run over $1000 USD (I know that's a wide range >.<). My room mates and I subleted our house last summer to exchange students, and it was about $1700 per month, divided among several students. If you're here over the summer you can probably find better deals due to the availability of sublets.

The school is nice, in my opinion (of course I'm biased, haha). The hospital building itself is maybe a little on the older side, but it runs smoothly. The equipment is newer. The veterinary school and hospital are next to the main undergrad campus, but not in it. So there's some traffic around the campus due to the undergrads, but they aren't actually on our campus at all.

Feel free to ask more questions or pm me if you want, I hope you are accepted and get to visit california!

Hello Falina!
Thank you for your reply! I already contacted Judy Wall with some questions, but she basically send a lot of information back that was already on the site too. So I decided to get some student experiences!

How much does normal live cost around there? Poor student over here trying to get a good view of finances :D
I also heard going by bike to campus is possible, but since I would only be staying 1 month would renting be an option?
I'm trying to go in summer but of course I am not sure if this can be arranged. Would you expect to have some hands on in this clinical rotation?

If others stop by in this tread: does anyone have more information about this clinical rotation?