University of Colorado-Skaggs SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my housing info from Colorado. Do students generally have roommates or are they mostly living by themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my housing info from Colorado. Do students generally have roommates or are they mostly living by themselves?

I'm also an incoming student. Sounds like there is a variety of people living alone or with roommates. So it's mostly your preference. The Facebook page has some people looking for roommates https://www.facebook.com/groups/358020330941959/ and some advice on where to live (good areas, bad areas, etc.). You can also find roommates through the UC Denver housing website. I don't remember the url for it but I think it is also posted on the Facebook page and it should be easy to find on the school website.

I'm also an incoming student. Sounds like there is a variety of people living alone or with roommates. So it's mostly your preference. The Facebook page has some people looking for roommates https://www.facebook.com/groups/358020330941959/ and some advice on where to live (good areas, bad areas, etc.). You can also find roommates through the UC Denver housing website. I don't remember the url for it but I think it is also posted on the Facebook page and it should be easy to find on the school website.

Cool thanks for the info. Time to reactivate the facebook account lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Saving $5,000 a year with a roommate sounds like the best option. If you could take out $5,000 less in loans per year at 6.8%, you'll end up saving $20,000 (principal) + $5,000 (approximate compounded interest) = $25,000 (a third of after-taxes annual salary, so four months of work/new car). :)

Is anoyone here not pre pharm? I've been trying to find any information regarding the tox program. I had an interview and was looking to see if other people who interviewed in March have heard back.

Thanks

Saving $5,000 a year with a roommate sounds like the best option. If you could take out $5,000 less in loans per year at 6.8%, you'll end up saving $20,000 (principal) + $5,000 (approximate compounded interest) = $25,000 (a third of after-taxes annual salary, so four months of work/new car). :)

I never really think about things like that but I like your math haha. I sent in that roommate form on the school website a couple days ago, but I never got a confirmation or anything. Anyone else had this problem?

Hi everyone! Current P2 here, and just wanted to let ya'll know about an upcoming Open House at the pharmacy school for those who are local and want to find out more about the curriculum and campus! Great networking opportunity for those applying next year too! RSVP by April 15th and the event is Friday, April 19th. Link to flyer: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Wmxf2fMDOIdEl6R2tSX2tKbHc/edit?usp=sharing

P.S. For those searching for apartments and thinking about renting at 21 Fitz, feel free to PM me for more info. I split the referral incentives. :)

answered your questions in the spaces below. :)
I would appreciate it if any current CU SOP students can comment on any or all of the subjects below. I would particularly appreciate any input from P2 students regarding the new Curriculum. Feel free to just make any general comments. I'm sure incoming P1s such as myself would appreciate to hear both the PROs and CONs about the program. Feel free to PM your comments as well. Thanks!

Curriculum: Can't comment much on the new curriculum as I'm a P2 and it just started with the current P1 class, but you seem to learn the more applicable topics (i.e. gastrointestinal disorders) earlier. You also have more group discussions to prepare you for 3rd year.

Faculty: Excellent! Well-known in the field. Many have written chapters to the Pharmacotherapy handbook that everyone uses. Many opportunities to join them in their research or do honors thesis projects with them. Very accessible and friendly.

Reputation: You can tell by the stats on residency matches here: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/pharmacy/AboutUs/AboutSchoolPharmacy/Pages/Education.aspx that our school has quite the reputation in the field. The majority of people applying for residencies, are able to acquire the skills necessary to be competitive through our curriculum and with campus involvement.

Study areas: Ed2 and Ed1 buildings are accessible 24/7 with your ID badge. Many study rooms with huge whiteboards and TV screens if you want to project your notes on them (or watch NCAA/NBA games?). The library also has many nice study rooms, but it closes at midnight most days.

Social Scene: Downtown is where it's at.

Other: Bring warm clothes. Be prepared to wear layers as the temperature in one day can differ by 40-50 degrees (67 and sunny in the morning to 12 and blizzards at night??).

Overall: Love it here and I hope you all will too! Hope this helps!

Note: I borrowed this from the Pros and Cons thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=878726

Is there any truth to what "CPC2012" stated above? UCDenver is tied for #1 on my list of schools to attend (tied with the University of Arizona). It just seems like he/she is a disgruntled student/employee.
How do you feel about the larger class size? I go to a small university, so I am used to small classes and accessible professors. Most of the schools I applied to are 60 - 90 students because I was looking more for a smaller class, but I think I fell in love when I was visiting Denver.
Have you been able to get to know you classmates and professors pretty well in you experience so far?
(sorry for the long delay)
I don't know in regards to what he is saying as I am not in CPC. This school is certainly difficult, but by no means impossible. If you come in with the right attitude, it will help in the long run. Viewing pharmacy school as a privilege rather than a chore helps as well.

Larger class size; not really a larger class for me. Usually my chem classes had over 150 per day, and now this actually seems smaller to me. I can't say I "know" a lot of my classmates, but I do hang out with several quite frequently. I can't say I "know" any of my professors either except for maybe in skills as it has less people per session.

I don't think they send out letters if you're waitlisted or denied, but instead, emails. Did you hear back from them at all through email?

Unlike other schools, Colorado seems to waitlist everyone who they don't initially accept (and don't even rank them). The chance of getting in, thus, is slim; but based on past threads and other schools, June seems to be the time when there's some traffic in the waitlist since people are finalizing their decisions.

I guess I was waitlisted before? But just received an acceptance today which I will be declining so good luck to another candidate.

It was quite the backhanded acceptance as well!:mad:

"Although we previously invited you to and would like you to consider joining the Summer Advanced English Course as an optional program, it is our pleasure to inform you that your credentials in a combination of areas now qualify you for direct admission to the Doctor of Pharmacy program for the fall of 2013.If you choose to accept admission, it is important to note that you should be vigilant about improving your writing skills and use any available resources for assistance"

I was somewhat offended at the whole Eng course ordeal as well since I thought I were pretty good at the engrish...

I guess I was waitlisted before? But just received an acceptance today which I will be declining so good luck to another candidate.

"Although we previously invited you to and would like you to consider joining the Summer Advanced English Course as an optional program, it is our pleasure to inform you that your credentials in a combination of areas now qualify you for direct admission to the Doctor of Pharmacy program for the fall of 2013.If you choose to accept admission, it is important to note that you should be vigilant about improving your writing skills and use any available resources for assistance"

I was somewhat offended at the whole Eng course ordeal as well since I thought I were pretty good at the engrish...

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know the waitlist is moving somewhat. I'm like checking this thread everyday!!!

Thanks for sharing. Nice to know the waitlist is moving somewhat. I'm like checking this thread everyday!!!

I was on the waitlist too, not sure if it will help you but I withdrew my application so good luck to all of you still waiting.

i was admitted the same exact way. i thought i was good at english too! lol

Hi all. I am looking for a new female roommate! I have a large room with private bath (standing shower, no bathtub) for rent in a 3bd/2 bath bi-level home. Beautiful, quiet and SAFE neighborhood!!! The house is 5 miles away from Campus....less than a 10 minute drive. Open to carpooling as well.

Looking for a CLEAN and QUIET female who is easy going and drama free. Reliable with rent. Can move in anytime after July 25th-ish. Rent is $550 a month, but does not include electric/gas/cable/internet (which will be split 3 ways).

The room will be extremely private, as you will essentially have the lower floor of the house to yourself, as the other roommate and I will be mostly on the top floor of the home. You will have total house privileges including washer/dryer, kitchen, living room, backyard, etc. Parking spot in the driveway. No smoking, but 420 is okay (although we don't smoke ourselves). No pets. House has large patio in backyard; central AC and heating systems. Newer carpet. New tan-colored paint in the room (current picture has blue/gray paint). Newer double-pane vinyl windows. Fireplace. Central location. Easy access to freeways, fast food restaurants and stores (Target and Sprouts are 2 miles away, freeway is less than 1 mile).

if interested, Please email me with information about yourself and any other information you think I should know! Thank you!!

For pictures, see link: http://denver.craigslist.org/roo/3827756478.html

Thank you!

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm trying check out as many prospective housing opportunities as possible during a visit and would love to take a look at a few more. I'm a 24 year old male. I like keeping clean but especially with the common areas like the living room and kitchen. I'm friendly and easy to get along with. House, apartment, or condo. It doesn't really matter to me as long as it's safe and I have no problem with parking. PM me if you have any questions

Just gave up my seat this afternoon. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist !