University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Ryxndek

D1 Minnesota
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Link to last year's thread: University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Link to school website: University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry

Class of 2024 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.61
Science GPA: 3.53
DAT: 19.6AA, 19.8TS, 19.5PAT
Applied: 1,517
OOS: 890 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 161 Accepted
IS: 386 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 138 Accepted
International: 241 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 62 Accepted
# Enrolled: 143
Class of 2026 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.56
DAT: 20.2AA, 20.1TS, 20.0PAT
Applied: 1,804
OOS: 1,094 Applied, 163 Accepted
IS: 423 Applied, 125 Accepted
International: 287 Applied, 54 Accepted
# Enrolled: 144
5th-95th Percentiles
Science: 3.05-3.97
Overall: 3.20-3.97

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interview #2
Notification date:
6/30
Method of notification: Email
Residency: In state
AADSAS mail-out date: 5/31
Application complete date: 6/7
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.93; Overall: 3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 AA, 22 TS, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, No section below 20
Method of interview: In Person
140 shadowing, 130 volunteering, lots of working hours

Reactions: 1 user
Interview #2
Notification date:
6/30
Residency: In state
AADSAS mail-out date: 5/31
Application complete date: 6/7
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.93; Overall: 3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22 AA, 22 TS, 21 PAT, 21 Reading, No section below 20
140 shadowing, 130 volunteering, lots of working hours
Congrats! Earliest interview date available?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Kira talent mandatory pre-interview, does anyone else's link say class of 2027, and it's currently closed?

For the Kira talent mandatory pre-interview, does anyone else's link say class of 2027, and it's currently closed?
Yes mine does too, I tried calling the school/emailing but their office is closed until July 7th. Im not really sure what to do.

Okay perfect, thankful I am not the only person. Only thing we can do is wait. I emailed saying I accept the interview but I can't do the Kira interview. I also sent a screenshot for proof

Okay perfect, thankful I am not the only person. Only thing we can do is wait. I emailed saying I accept the interview but I can't do the Kira interview. I also sent a screenshot for proof
Yes, I did the exact same thing, perfect. I wonder if they'll extend the deadline since we only have until Friday...

How long did it take after verification for them to send supplemental app?

Interview #1
Notification Date: 7/11
Residency: International (Non-Canadian)
AADSAS mail-out date: 5/30
Application complete date: 6/9
GPA (science, overall): cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.7
DAT: AA: 22 TS: 21 PAT: 18
(20 QR 30 RC 20 BIO 21 CHE 21 OCHEM)
Method of interview: In-person

shadowing ~300 hours in US and abroad
volunteering ~ 300 hours
a lot of leadership positions
1 year research in non-core science

Interview #3
Notification date:
7/18
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/7
Application complete date: 6/14
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.57 Overall: 3.68
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20 AA, 20TS, 25PAT, No
Method of interview: In-person
Research with one publication, 150 shadowing hours, 180 volunteer hours, 3 strong LORs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, did you guys receive the official confirmation after you picked your interview day?

Hey, did you guys receive the official confirmation after you picked your interview day?
I received the confirmation when you choose the interview date, but not from the admissions office. They said they will email that closer to the interview date

Hey guys, so I received an interview and completed the Kira assessment. For those who were offered an interview, does your aadsas status still say 'invited for interview"? I know some schools change it to "none" following the invitation so I wasn't sure.

Hey guys, so I received an interview and completed the Kira assessment. For those who were offered an interview, does your aadsas status still say 'invited for interview"? I know some schools change it to "none" following the invitation so I wasn't sure.
don't overthink what AADSAS displays, each school is different with how they handle AADSAS updates. Just go by email correspondence and you should be just fine. Some schools won't update AADSAS until you get accepted, some update it everytime there's something to update, some do only interview/acceptance, etc. So don't stress about what it does/doesn't say.

Congrats on the interview, hope you killed the Kira assessment!

Interview #1

Date of submission: July 18th
Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.49
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20 AA/20 TS (21OC,18GC,20BIO)/25 RC/18 QR/20 PAT
State of Residence: Indiana

Last edited:
Got my Kira assessment yesterday this is my 1st assessment so can you please tell me how to prepare for it.

Anyone who submitted in August have you received the Kira assessment or an interview?

I have my interview coming up in few weeks and since I am oos I have to do prior bookings. My question is which areas are considered as safe area in Detroit or safe location closer to campus? Heard lot of bad things about campus neighborhood.

You may want to take a look at a crime map for that area. I have family that lives up there, safest bet is about 20 miles from the school.

You may want to take a look at a crime map for that area. I have family that lives up there, safest bet is about 20 miles from the school.
Thank you! Can you name some safe areas? I heard dearborn is safe.

How’d the in person interviews on 9/16 go? How long were they? Did they ask pretty standard questions? I have my interview on 9/23

Could anyone who did personal interviews on 9/16 share their experiences? Is there any difficult question to expect? Thanks:)

Hello,
So I am currently 20 years old in my junior year of college but have technically only done "2 years of college", this is my third year. I had a lot of AP credit coming from high school and took summer classes. My main goal is Michigan schools so I only applied to Detroit Mercy because UofM starts during the final semester of my undergraduate. My overall GPA is 3.95 and my science is 4.00. I got a 23 on my DAT and have 100+ hours of volunteering and 480 dental shadowing hours. I applied to UDM all the way back on July 18 and everything was verified and received from my end and my AADEA application status is received and under review. I know my stats are good I am not going to sit here and act like they are not but I see people with lower stats getting interviews with UDM and I still have not heard anything back from them in terms of interviews. My family really wants me to stay in Michigan for personal reasons, but I am really not sure what is going to happen. Is anyone experienced with applying to UDM and the interview wait time? Am I at a disadvantage as a "2-year applicant"? Should I worry at all and it's just a matter of time or should I apply to other places even though my family wants me to stay in Michigan? Any reply is appreciated thank you!

Hello,
So I am currently 20 years old in my junior year of college but have technically only done "2 years of college", this is my third year. I had a lot of AP credit coming from high school and took summer classes. My main goal is Michigan schools so I only applied to Detroit Mercy because UofM starts during the final semester of my undergraduate. My overall GPA is 3.95 and my science is 4.00. I got a 23 on my DAT and have 100+ hours of volunteering and 480 dental shadowing hours. I applied to UDM all the way back on July 18 and everything was verified and received from my end and my AADEA application status is received and under review. I know my stats are good I am not going to sit here and act like they are not but I see people with lower stats getting interviews with UDM and I still have not heard anything back from them in terms of interviews. My family really wants me to stay in Michigan for personal reasons, but I am really not sure what is going to happen. Is anyone experienced with applying to UDM and the interview wait time? Am I at a disadvantage as a "2-year applicant"? Should I worry at all and it's just a matter of time or should I apply to other places even though my family wants me to stay in Michigan? Any reply is appreciated thank you!
2. Things

1. Most likely you're being yield-protected from UDM for the time being. Yield protected means they're waiting to see if you get in elsewhere because your stats are well above UDM's averages and so they're probably thinking you applied to UofM and would pick them over UDM.

2. Why didn't you apply to UofM? Did you verify that they'd let you start school without a bachelors? (Because the short answer, yes, you could have been accepted and skipped your final semester of undergrad).

At this point, it's late in the application cycle, but if you only applied to UDM and nowhere else, I'd honestly shoot UofM an application and just see what happens. Because only applying to 1 school (If I'm understanding this correctly) is shooting yourself in the foot slightly and could have you reapplying next year. Which would mean you could apply to UofM and UDM again. But we should wait and see where things go. But if you do decide to apply to other schools, you need to do this ASAP as time is running out to get sent an interview. It happens, but you're competing for less spots.

Solid test scores and GPA btw! This whole process can be confusing. But you have the scores, hopefully the EC's, LOR's, and personal statement to match. Good luck this cycle! You can always shoot me a PM if you have more questions about general things - applying, interviews, what's D1 year like, etc.

2. Things

1. Most likely you're being yield-protected from UDM for the time being. Yield protected means they're waiting to see if you get in elsewhere because your stats are well above UDM's averages and so they're probably thinking you applied to UofM and would pick them over UDM.

2. Why didn't you apply to UofM? Did you verify that they'd let you start school without a bachelors? (Because the short answer, yes, you could have been accepted and skipped your final semester of undergrad).

At this point, it's late in the application cycle, but if you only applied to UDM and nowhere else, I'd honestly shoot UofM an application and just see what happens. Because only applying to 1 school (If I'm understanding this correctly) is shooting yourself in the foot slightly and could have you reapplying next year. Which would mean you could apply to UofM and UDM again. But we should wait and see where things go. But if you do decide to apply to other schools, you need to do this ASAP as time is running out to get sent an interview. It happens, but you're competing for less spots.

Solid test scores and GPA btw! This whole process can be confusing. But you have the scores, hopefully the EC's, LOR's, and personal statement to match. Good luck this cycle! You can always shoot me a PM if you have more questions about general things - applying, interviews, what's D1 year like, etc.
2. Things

Sorry this is late at night, and thank you for the compliments, but yeah I did not apply to UofM strictly because of the degree thing, not that you say I might honestly apply to them but I do not really know anymore because of the 2 year applicant thing. I finish my undergraduate in 3 years completing all the dental prerequisites before the theoretical matriculation for D1 this coming fall 2024, but I am not sure if it is worth it to apply to places outside of Michigan as a 2 year applicant. Not really sure because I really want to study in Michigan as it is home for me. Hope this makes sense.

Also, I can not apply to UofM I believe as well because they also have a "The minimum requirement for admission is 90 semester hours (or approximately 135 quarter hours) of academic coursework". I have 87 credits done and 29 applied (meaning I am currently taking them or taking them next semester). I am just going to hope and pray that UDM sends an interview, but now that I understand the 2-year applicant thing I am not going to be too hard on myself. Do you think I should reach out to them at all do anything else or just play the waiting game? I applied in mid-July.

Last edited:
Sorry this is late at night, and thank you for the compliments, but yeah I did not apply to UofM strictly because of the degree thing, not that you say I might honestly apply to them but I do not really know anymore because of the 2 year applicant thing. I finish my undergraduate in 3 years completing all the dental prerequisites before the theoretical matriculation for D1 this coming fall 2024, but I am not sure if it is worth it to apply to places outside of Michigan as a 2 year applicant. Not really sure because I really want to study in Michigan as it is home for me. Hope this makes sense.

Also, I can not apply to UofM I believe as well because they also have a "The minimum requirement for admission is 90 semester hours (or approximately 135 quarter hours) of academic coursework". I have 87 credits done and 29 applied (meaning I am currently taking them or taking them next semester). I am just going to hope and pray that UDM sends an interview, but now that I understand the 2-year applicant thing I am not going to be too hard on myself. Do you think I should reach out to them at all do anything else or just play the waiting game? I applied in mid-July.
You're misreading the minimum course requirements, thats before matriculation. Not when applying. You would have had to add in coursework and they would have seen that. So you should have been able to apply, unless admissions explicitly stated that you had to have 90 hours completed before applying, but that's not from my understanding.

I also don't really understand this whole 2-year applicant thing. There are students that get in with 2 years of coursework and I'm not sure why you'd think that's a disadvantage unless you've been taking relatively easy courses during college and haven't displayed you can handle difficult coursework. Which I don't believe based on your stats. I applied with about 2.5ish years of coursework on my record completed and received 5 interviews and had lower stats than yours. So I don't think it's a disadvantage. I think you shot yourself in the foot applying to only 1 school, but you have your reasons so I can understand. I really do think you should apply to UofM, or reach out this week and confirm the credits information and then base your decision on that. Otherwise, you're going to have 2 options - get into UDM or have to reapply.

@Mr.Smile12, are you able to provide any insight into this? Maybe I’m misunderstanding

Before I reply: OP, can you put up the hyperlink to the advice you have been reading from the schools' websites. I want to be sure I understand what you think is the dilemma before giving you my interpretation as an academic admin.

I will also reiterate that schools employ holistic review so it's not just "one factor" that rules you in or out, and metrics alone is insufficient to gauge your chances. Read

I also found this

May I apply after only two years of undergraduate school?​

It is possible, but approximately 4% of two-year applicants are accepted nationally each year. If you are an outstanding two-year applicant, who really has explored the dental profession, we will consider you.

Not sure if I fall into this category or not, I think I do though ?

I also found this

May I apply after only two years of undergraduate school?​

It is possible, but approximately 4% of two-year applicants are accepted nationally each year. If you are an outstanding two-year applicant, who really has explored the dental profession, we will consider you.

Not sure if I fall into this category or not, I think I do though ?
Cite the link, please?

Did you fill out a WAMC (in that forum)? I don't see a profile for you.

does anyone else feel like they never do well on kira interviews no matter how prepared i am i start to see the countdown and panic

Reactions: 1 users
Interview #4
Notification date:
10/9
Application complete date: Sept
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23AA

Interview #4
Notification date:
10/10
Application complete date: Sept
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22AA
Method of interview: In Person or Virtual

Last edited:
has anyone who chose the virtual interview date gotten a zoom link yet?

Little freak out here, my randomly logged onto my portal and it says I did not pay the 125$ fee, although i am certain I did. (submitted in June), my AADSAS has said "received/under review" and not "waiting additional info" so I have not thought twice about it. I emailed them, but anyone else run into this problem?

Received a call @ 7:15 am!! Goodluck everyone today is the day!

• Love