University of Florida c/o 2024 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhiloslothicalStudent

Texas A&M CVM C/O 2025
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread started for Florida yet!

1st time applicant, OOS, TX resident.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied too! 1st time applying to Florida too

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time applicant! 1st time applying to UF IS

For the non-extracurricular activities section, did anyone use all character count? I feel like I only have two sentences lol

Its still hard IS theres just less applicants. I know folks who are on their 4th or 5th try IS.

Struggling with the essay where you are having to select a topic and debate it. I already submitted my other vet school apps last week so I could get verified. This essay is the last thing I have left for FL..... I feel like I am over thinking it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Struggling with the essay where you are having to select a topic and debate it. I already submitted my other vet school apps last week so I could get verified. This essay is the last thing I have left for FL..... I feel like I am over thinking it...

I chose to have fun with it. I wrote 4 paragraphs total ... first was my initial exposure to the topic when I was in my early 20s and how, without any formal education on the topic, I perceived it as bad. 2nd paragraph about coincidentally sitting next to a financial advisor of a big company involved in the topic on an airplane and how he began to change my opinion. 3rd paragraph about what I’ve learned in the biological sciences as a 30-year old and why I’m pro-topic now. And finally 4th paragraph about the implications for the future.

If I remember correctly, the prompt asks you to use your personal experiences so I think it’s important to choose a topic that you can identify with personally on some level.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose to have fun with it. I wrote 4 paragraphs total ... first was my initial exposure to the topic when I was in my early 20s and how, without any formal education on the topic, I perceived it as bad. 2nd paragraph about coincidentally sitting next to a financial advisor of a big company involved in the topic on an airplane and how he began to change my opinion. 3rd paragraph about what I’ve learned in the biological sciences as a 30-year old and why I’m pro-topic now. And finally 4th paragraph about the implications for the future.

If I remember correctly, the prompt asks you to use your personal experiences so I think it’s important to choose a topic that you can identify with personally on some level.
Shoot, sounds like a way better approach than mine lol. I went all-in on the point, debate, counter, connect method.

Shoot, sounds like a way better approach than mine lol. I went all-in on the point, debate, counter, connect method.

I think that’s fine too!! I think my odds of acceptance to UF are slim so I decided to have fun with it :)

Did any of you guys use citations for the argument topic? I feel like I want to use some data, but I'm concerned about the word count. Do we think citations/works cited count towards the 500?

ALSO, how did you guys address the supplemental application portion that deals with experience? It mentions that they do NOT want any experiences while you were in college, but that would leave me with zero veterinary experience. Is that what they're going for? Do they want outside of the veterinary industry? And do we count as "enrolled" during the summer? I have some waitressing jobs and internships that I did during the summers, but they were all while I was in college.

Can someone help me figure out what they consider their "advanced" level courses... or at least someone give me their examples of courses they took. Also why is the inventory pre-req form different then when we just added in our pre-reqs on VMAS?? :mad:

Can someone help me figure out what they consider their "advanced" level courses... or at least someone give me their examples of courses they took. Also why is the inventory pre-req form different then when we just added in our pre-reqs on VMAS?? :mad:

I did animal nutrition (since that was one of the suggestions) along with animal behavior and medical entomology.

You think applying is bad, wait until you try parking if you get in ;) not vetmeds fault but UF has some crazy parking.

Anyone have any idea how they would use the data from the survey they sent us yesterday?

Anyone have any idea how they would use the data from the survey they sent us yesterday?
It is a personality test that is usually used for job applicants, I used to give them out at Kelly Services for people applying to AlloSource. It isn't the best test to measure abilities...IMO it had serious flaws. I had my boss take it and he failed based on the lack of being able to work well with others...as a recruiter that was not remotely accurate. The head of the company took it and failed for crying out loud. Anyway, it can be adapted to whatever they want to look for and I got the feeling it was geared toward possibly tenaciousness, adaptability, and team player abilities. Just a huge guess.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to pick our interview date if we're invited, or are we just assigned to one of the dates? Thanks!

Does anyone know if we're allowed to pick our interview date if we're invited, or are we just assigned to one of the dates? Thanks!

Hi Thomj. I am a 1st year at UF CVM (c/o 2023). Last year after you got your interview invite they will have a link where you can rank your choices for the date of your interview. Last year we were given 3 dates. They don’t promise you will get your first choice but I think most of us did.

Also I just wanted to say good luck to everyone. I know I was so stressed during this time last year and was constantly checking my email and this website. So I wanted to come on here and tell everyone good luck and hang in there! And if anyone had any question feel free to ask!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone’s else’s heart stop when we got an email just now

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

What did you get? I haven’t gotten anything in a few weeks.

I'm OOS and have not received an email, except the thank you we are reviewing your application one.

I’m OOS. I got a confirmation they had received all my materials. I guess they send them out in waves then.

Do they actually send out an email to let you know if they’re reviewing your application? Has anyone heard from their references if they’ve been contacted?

Do they actually send out an email to let you know if they’re reviewing your application? Has anyone heard from their references if they’ve been contacted?

I received an email that said they had all my materials & they would reach out over the next few months. But nothing with any specific timeline. From what I’ve heard, UGA is the only school people have heard of checking references, but either way I also haven’t heard about any of mine being contacted.

Looks like we will be hearing in mid-December! Just got a mass email about their survey and timeline, which almost gave me a heart attack with this waiting game.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like we will be hearing in mid-December! Just got a mass email about their survey and timeline, which almost gave me a heart attack with this waiting game.

Yeah, the “First off we would like to thank” sounded like it was going to be a rejection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Just came here to say the same lol, at least we'll have answers soon-ish! Just in time for me to take finals lol

Yeah, the “First off we would like to thank” sounded like it was going to be a rejection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same!! I took the plunge and opened it anyway but was relieved it wasnt an outright rejection.

I’m a little stressed about this, but I’m an IS student however apparently my residency wasn’t verified. If you put in all in your application that you are in state (my address and literally everywhere I’ve worked was all in FL), do they consider your app as in state even if it’s not verified? I’m worried I’m being considered as OOS!

I’m a little stressed about this, but I’m an IS student however apparently my residency wasn’t verified. If you put in all in your application that you are in state (my address and literally everywhere I’ve worked was all in FL), do they consider your app as in state even if it’s not verified? I’m worried I’m being considered as OOS!
I would email them and see what the situation is and get proof from the state (your state department) and send those documents to them. To show the state that you live in Florida requires certain documents so look on the Secretary of State department website.

I'm also IS and this is what my status check says:
"We have not yet reviewed your claim as a Florida resident for tuition purposes. Please check back later for updates.
Your residency status for tuition purposes does not affect your application's decision.
Please click cancel to go back to your application status page."
Has anyone's been approved yet?

I'm also IS and this is what my status check says:
"We have not yet reviewed your claim as a Florida resident for tuition purposes. Please check back later for updates.
Your residency status for tuition purposes does not affect your application's decision.
Please click cancel to go back to your application status page."
Has anyone's been approved yet?

Interesting, there’s an application status page? Or is that only for IS applicants?

Interesting, there’s an application status page? Or is that only for IS applicants?

I'm not sure if it's just for IS but it's not a true status check like LSU's, if you're familiar with that. It basically just says our residency status, proof our application was received and our mailing and permanent addresses.

I'm not sure if it's just for IS but it's not a true status check like LSU's, if you're familiar with that. It basically just says our residency status, proof our application was received and our mailing and permanent addresses.

Oh ok, thanks!

from my thread stalking, I expect tomorrow, or sometime this week if not.
Anyone thinking it may take longer this year considering they may have gotten an increase in applicants since they no longer require the GRE? As well as mentioning in the e-mails they sent to us that they were trying to evaluate as holistically as possible?

When should we be hearing back from UF regarding interviews?
Anyone thinking it may take longer this year considering they may have gotten an increase in applicants since they no longer require the GRE? As well as mentioning in the e-mails they sent to us that they were trying to evaluate as holistically as possible?
from my thread stalking, I expect tomorrow, or sometime this week if not.
From the email they said mid December, i wouldn’t be surprised if it was late this week or next week.

So just wanted to give everyone a little hope! We have been planning y’all interview days. If you get an invite it looks like your choices will be Jan 11th, 25th or Feb 8th. It should not be to long now. You have all worked so hard and come this far ! Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get good news !

Reactions: 2 users
So just wanted to give everyone a little hope! We have been planning y’all interview days. If you get an invite it looks like your choices will be Jan 11th, 25th or Feb 8th. It should not be to long now. You have all worked so hard and come this far ! Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get good news !
Not too long as in emails are heading out soon? *Fingers crossed*

Not too long as in emails are heading out soon? *Fingers crossed*
So sorry, I can’t speak to exactly when the emails go out. I know my invite came Dec 11th at 5:45 pm. And I think in the past the timelines have been very similar. So with any luck it should be any moment now . Sorry I can’t give you anything more exact.