University of Illinois at Chicago application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish they could have given us the opportunity to converse with students/teachers/faculty because there were a lot of things I was looking forward to hearing, such as average day at UIC, what classes are like.. or maybe something important like... financial aid?! or housing, extracurricular activities at their school etc.. i would have liked to meet the dean too.

The student ambassador that was there was so busy running back and forth between groups and timing the interviews that my group could barely ask him questions.

This is going to be a hard decision

Members don't see this ad.

I wish they could have given us the opportunity to converse with students/teachers/faculty because there were a lot of things I was looking forward to hearing, such as average day at UIC, what classes are like.. or maybe something important like... financial aid?! or housing, extracurricular activities at their school etc.. i would have liked to meet the dean too.

The student ambassador that was there was so busy running back and forth between groups and timing the interviews that my group could barely ask him questions.

This is going to be a hard decision

Was your interview on the 14th at 11 by any chance because it sounds very familiar? :) I agree with everyone. It would have been nice to hear more information. However, I did enjoy the format of the interview. Less stressful in my opinion.

Was your interview on the 14th at 11 by any chance because it sounds very familiar? :) I agree with everyone. It would have been nice to hear more information. However, I did enjoy the format of the interview. Less stressful in my opinion.

yeah

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i did, just not sure if i'm willing to commit. I have an interview on friday at univ. of maryland so I will have to see..

I see..yeah you have to go with a place that you like the most..I am from Illinois and want to stay around here.. So UIC is the best option for me..so I'll most likely attend

does anyone know about whether the uic campus offers housing or not? i got accepted...but now i need to know whether the school offers housing....tuition.....all that.....any one know about any sites with this info?

Accepted!:D (Anyone else from the 9am group on the 14th?)

I'm definitely wondering about where the best housing is too.. I don't want to be too far away from campus, but I also don't know if I like the idea of living too deep into the city and risking getting mugged by gangsters.. :laugh: im partly kidding, but I do kind of view it that way.. is that wrong? Is the crime rate high in that area?

I already accepted my offer at midwestern, but I'm pretty sure I would rather go to UIC.. Anyone have any opinion on choosing between the two? I feel like UIC is the obvious choice.. anyone else in my situation?

congrats everyone! and if you didn't get in, don't give up!

hey guys!

I was just wondering for the interview questions i know it is scenarios but is it more like tell me a time when you were etc, etc. or was it more like what if you were working in the pharmacy and you saw your co-worker diverting drugs type of questions? I just want some more insight into the interview process/questions since i am not sure what to expect!

the latter haha. they set up a situation for you. good luck! :)

hey guys!

I was just wondering for the interview questions i know it is scenarios but is it more like tell me a time when you were etc, etc. or was it more like what if you were working in the pharmacy and you saw your co-worker diverting drugs type of questions? I just want some more insight into the interview process/questions since i am not sure what to expect!

I'm definitely wondering about where the best housing is too.. I don't want to be too far away from campus, but I also don't know if I like the idea of living too deep into the city and risking getting mugged by gangsters.. :laugh: im partly kidding, but I do kind of view it that way.. is that wrong? Is the crime rate high in that area?

I already accepted my offer at midwestern, but I'm pretty sure I would rather go to UIC.. Anyone have any opinion on choosing between the two? I feel like UIC is the obvious choice.. anyone else in my situation?

Hey, yeah I'm in the same situation. I have to pick between UIC and Midwestern. UIC is a much better school, cheaper, in the city. I went to UIC for undergrad and yes some areas do have high crime rates so u have to walk in groups because u can get mugged, but there are red car services which is a UIC car service that picks up kids from campus and drops them at their dorms. You will get mugged at night if you wave around your expensive cellphone, but again walk in groups. It's really not that bad. It's a much better school than Midwestern so for me it's a no brainer. I love Chicago so for me downers grove is too suburban, it's also expensive for housing and the tuition is more expensive. UIC is one of the top in the nation.

You should look for housing in the medical district or the tri Taylor area. Anywhere near a 7 bus stop is good too because it will take u right to the college of pharm. just don't go past western and Taylor, it gets kinda shady there.

Yeah, go to UIC. Definitely not being biased :D

It's not wrong to have that kind of a view. It's best to just be cautious of your surroundings. Housing is pretty good everywhere except if you go a too south of the school. That's where it starts to get shady.

I guess it depends. Do you want to pay $40,000 vs $24,000 (unless you're out of state then it wouldn't matter much)
MWU has a nice campus, both programs are good, UIC is way cheaper.

Congrats to you and everyone else who got accepted. See you guys in the Fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input guys :).. i am an out of state student though so the tuition is going to be about 33k/yr either way.. i know UIC has a high rank, but I've read quite a bit about how that doesn't really matter.. what do you guys think? Does anyone know where to find stats on residency placements, etc. for each school? I cant find any numbers on UIC's website.

i was originally thinking UIC was much better but now I'm not so sure.. Ive heard that midwestern offers almost the same amount of research opportunities etc. so if the education/tuition is going to be similar I think midwestern might be better because of its location away from the city, more security, friendlier people, and more caring faculty (from what I've gathered).. any thoughts?

Does anyone know what we are supposed to put for UIN on the Acceptance Form?Thanks

thanks for the input guys :).. i am an out of state student though so the tuition is going to be about 33k/yr either way.. i know UIC has a high rank, but I've read quite a bit about how that doesn't really matter.. what do you guys think? Does anyone know where to find stats on residency placements, etc. for each school? I cant find any numbers on UIC's website.

i was originally thinking UIC was much better but now I'm not so sure.. Ive heard that midwestern offers almost the same amount of research opportunities etc. so if the education/tuition is going to be similar I think midwestern might be better because of its location away from the city, more security, friendlier people, and more caring faculty (from what I've gathered).. any thoughts?

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline"

So that means the pharmacy rankings is solely based on people's opinions of the school. It doesnt take into account naplex passing rate, school passing rate or the fail rate. I did talk to a pharmacist though and her input was that: if u plan on working in a chain, school doesn't matter as long as you are a pharmD. it does matter if you plan on doing a residency and depending on the school and how many options/how good they are known for.. that's when it matters. but at the same time its who you know and what connections you have.

I'm in the same boat as you: i'm out of state so it's really important for me to make the right decision before i relocate for the next 4+ years.

You've been assigned a UIN if you went to UIC or UIUC for undergrad. Otherwise, they've assigned you one but I'm not entirely sure where to find that lol.

For those wondering about housing...

Yes UIC has campus housing at the medical campus. They have normal dorms and single resident housing. Most people those opt for an apartment somewhere off campus. In general the medical campus and the surrounding area ( a couple blocks) are relatively safe. The surrounding areas are not. However, you'll be fine as long as you have common sense.

Also, I'd highly recommend using public transportation to get to UIC. The Pink Line stops at Polk which is right next to the pharmacy building. When you enroll at UIC, you are automatically billed for a CTA U-Pass (about $110 I think). This gives you unlimited rides on any CTA bus or train. A lot of people have apts in other parts of the city such as the loop or wrigleyville and just take the train over to campus.

If city life isn't for you, you can also find a place somewhere in the suburbs. Metra is the suburban rail system that has many different line that go into they city. Many people, myself included, take the Metra from the suburbs to the city and then take the Pink Line over to campus.

Congrats to all who were accepted, and good luck to all who still have interviews.
Feel free to ask me any other questions you have about UIC. I'm only a P1 but I might be able to help lol.

For those wondering about housing...

Yes UIC has campus housing at the medical campus. They have normal dorms and single resident housing. Most people those opt for an apartment somewhere off campus. In general the medical campus and the surrounding area ( a couple blocks) are relatively safe. The surrounding areas are not. However, you'll be fine as long as you have common sense.

Also, I'd highly recommend using public transportation to get to UIC. The Pink Line stops at Polk which is right next to the pharmacy building. When you enroll at UIC, you are automatically billed for a CTA U-Pass (about $110 I think). This gives you unlimited rides on any CTA bus or train. A lot of people have apts in other parts of the city such as the loop or wrigleyville and just take the train over to campus.

If city life isn't for you, you can also find a place somewhere in the suburbs. Metra is the suburban rail system that has many different line that go into they city. Many people, myself included, take the Metra from the suburbs to the city and then take the Pink Line over to campus.

Congrats to all who were accepted, and good luck to all who still have interviews.
Feel free to ask me any other questions you have about UIC. I'm only a P1 but I might be able to help lol.

How long is your commute? Do you recommend commuting (for about 2 hours per day) during the first year? I really wanna get an apartment in the city, but if I could manage the workload, I think I should commute, just like what I have been doing all through undergrad. Its so hard to make a decision lol

How long is your commute? Do you recommend commuting (for about 2 hours per day) during the first year? I really wanna get an apartment in the city, but if I could manage the workload, I think I should commute, just like what I have been doing all through undergrad. Its so hard to make a decision lol
My commute is about 1.5 hours each way for 3 hours total a day, and I love it. I get a good solid 2 hours of study time on the train (Metra) each day, and it helps a lot by forcing me to study since I have nothing better to do while on the train lol. I dont study much on the EL (CTA) though because you often have to stand. Luckly that ride is only 1520 minutes for me.

thanks for the input guys .. i am an out of state student though so the tuition is going to be about 33k/yr either way.. i know UIC has a high rank, but I've read quite a bit about how that doesn't really matter.. what do you guys think? Does anyone know where to find stats on residency placements, etc. for each school? I cant find any numbers on UIC's website.

Im pretty sure that there are way more research opportunities at UIC. If research is your passion, I would pick UIC. Check this out.

http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/research/news.php

Does anyone know how hard it is to gain in-state residency in Illinois?

thanks for the input guys .. i am an out of state student though so the tuition is going to be about 33k/yr either way.. i know UIC has a high rank, but I've read quite a bit about how that doesn't really matter.. what do you guys think? Does anyone know where to find stats on residency placements, etc. for each school? I cant find any numbers on UIC's website.

Im pretty sure that there are way more research opportunities at UIC. If research is your passion, I would pick UIC. Check this out.

http://www.uic.edu/pharmacy/research/news.php
If you're worried about getting into a residency, I would DEFINITELY choose UIC over Midwestern. UIC has a vast amount of connections with residency directors and programs. UIC is also in the middle of the Chicago medical district with 4 major hospitals within only a couple of blocks of each other (UIC Medical Center, Rush University, Jesse Brown VA, and Stroger Hospital). The connections people from UIC have at all of these places goes vast and deep. These hospitals are also excellent places to do your IPPE and APPE rotations at; they also offer a lot of internships and externships. The professors and staff are also big name people in the pharmacy world as well including a former APhA president.

As far as ranking and if it matters, it depends. When your looking for a job or residency some people will care about where you went to school, while others won't. However, I have heard that if you're looking for a pharmacy job in the Chicago area, having your degree from UIC could be an advantage. Most of the current pharmacists in the Chicago area graduated from UIC since it is by far the oldest school in the Chicagoland area.

Does anyone know how hard it is to gain in-state residency in Illinois?
Not sure about how "hard" it is, but I believe that you have to live here for at least a year first. Then you have to do all the fun stuff like registering to vote, changing your drivers license, etc.

If you're worried about getting into a residency, I would DEFINITELY choose UIC over Midwestern. UIC has a vast amount of connections with residency directors and programs. UIC is also in the middle of the Chicago medical district with 4 major hospitals within only a couple of blocks of each other (UIC Medical Center, Rush University, Jesse Brown VA, and Stroger Hospital). The connections people from UIC have at all of these places goes vast and deep. These hospitals are also excellent places to do your IPPE and APPE rotations at; they also offer a lot of internships and externships. The professors and staff are also big name people in the pharmacy world as well including a former APhA president.

As far as ranking and if it matters, it depends. When your looking for a job or residency some people will care about where you went to school, while others won't. However, I have heard that if you're looking for a pharmacy job in the Chicago area, having your degree from UIC could be an advantage. Most of the current pharmacists in the Chicago area graduated from UIC since it is by far the oldest school in the Chicagoland area.

word. :thumbup:

Both schools have their pros and cons. The pharmacy world is really small. Just like the previous post, the connections you will build at UIC will go beyond your educational career. These are people that will help you throughout your professional career as well. I think around 60% of the students that go to UIC get into a residency program not only becuase of academics, but also their connections.

And I guess mwu is okay too :laugh:
kidding!

Anyone else interviewing at the Rockford campus today? :)

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow, Jan 28? At Chicago campus?

Well.. That was quick. I got my acceptance letter this morning, for Rockford, the weekend after my interview! I may be seeing some of you this Fall! Best of luck!:D

Oh wow. I interviewed this Saturday, January 28 at the Chicago campus, and got my acceptance this morning. They are really quick.

To everyone else who interviewed at Chicago: How was your interview day? Did you get a chance to ask the faculty any questions? Were there any 'let's get to know the school' kind of sessions planned out? I am wondering because we didn't have anything at all, besides the interview, and a less than 10 minutes tour of the building. Didn't get a chance to ask any questions. The student ambassadors gave us their email addresses, so I guess we can contact them, but, compared the other schools I felt like UIC didn't present themselves that well.. I want to know what others think.

Oh wow. I interviewed this Saturday, January 28 at the Chicago campus, and got my acceptance this morning. They are really quick.

To everyone else who interviewed at Chicago: How was your interview day? Did you get a chance to ask the faculty any questions? Were there any 'let's get to know the school' kind of sessions planned out? I am wondering because we didn't have anything at all, besides the interview, and a less than 10 minutes tour of the building. Didn't get a chance to ask any questions. The student ambassadors gave us their email addresses, so I guess we can contact them, but, compared the other schools I felt like UIC didn't present themselves that well.. I want to know what others think.

Join the facebook group!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/353744991305162/

I interviewed on the second date possible before they started making the strict rule that you weren't allowed to talk about anything other than the scenario. The interviewers weren't allowed to ask me anything, but I was able to ask about their role at UIC & what type of pharmacist they were/what they did. I'm looking to do residency & hopefully clinical pharm so it was nice to hear that two of my interviewers taught at the school and were a pulmonary or neonatal clinical pharmacist. I feel like my tour ran a little longer and I got a decent amount of info about the school, but not nearly as much as I was expecting going into the interview. Before the interview, I was able to ask a few questions I had about residencies and research when I was sitting in the admissions office.

I'm from the Chicago suburbs so I've always wanted to go to UIC. a lot of pharmacists I've worked with have gone to UIC & since its in the medical district of Chicago, I think I'll have more networking opportunities. My $0.02 of why I'm attending!

Last edited:
haha I'm not sure if I'll be attending yet! Though once I make a decision, I will definitely join :)

Sorry to be asking about another school, but hopefully you are reading this b/c it's the last thread you posted in and you don't have PM available. I was wondering when you got your UK invite? I thought they don't send invites until 2 weeks before their interview, and your signature indicates you got a February interview. Thanks

Hey i know exactly what you're talking about. i wanted to know more about the school and really leave feeling assured that this was the number choice school for me to attend. i wish they could have catered a litter more to the potential students and show us why they are the best choice. their lack of presentation makes me deter from the school because i just want to be 100% sure i will like the faculty and dean since they will ultimately determine my future.

Hey i know exactly what you're talking about. i wanted to know more about the school and really leave feeling assured that this was the number choice school for me to attend. i wish they could have catered a litter more to the potential students and show us why they are the best choice. their lack of presentation makes me deter from the school because i just want to be 100% sure i will like the faculty and dean since they will ultimately determine my future.

i agree.. i decided i like midwestern better even though UIC is ranked higher.. they dont seem to care much about their prospective students

no one seem to be listed in committee hold..?
interviewed on last Friday and got hold email Monday!
so frustrating! :(

Sorry to be asking about another school, but hopefully you are reading this b/c it's the last thread you posted in and you don't have PM available. I was wondering when you got your UK invite? I thought they don't send invites until 2 weeks before their interview, and your signature indicates you got a February interview. Thanks

Hey there,
I just checked my email and I apparently received the invite for a Feb 15 interview on January 26; so 5 days ago. I hope this helps.

I absolutely agree. I think the way schools handle their interviews (in some ways) show how much they care about their future students. Maybe they didn't prepare as much as other schools because they know they are really good? I don't know. I also really wanted to like the school, but I just couldn't. I'm going to try and send out a bunch of emails to people and try to get answers to my questions; I might change my mind if they are good at responding etc, but I don't know... =/

I absolutely agree. I think the way schools handle their interviews (in some ways) show how much they care about their future students. Maybe they didn't prepare as much as other schools because they know they are really good? I don't know. I also really wanted to like the school, but I just couldn't. I'm going to try and send out a bunch of emails to people and try to get answers to my questions; I might change my mind if they are good at responding etc, but I don't know... =/

Well, what all of you guys are saying is true. So many people I know are also complaining. That's UIC for you. In all honesty, if I'm an out of state student, who has another cheaper and better option I will definitely not go to UIC. They are very snobby. In other words they just don't care. Can you see the folder that was given out? There is no "UIC" logo on it, the only school to handout such a folder out of the 5 schools I have visited. Not to talk about any refreshment given. When you go there, you are pretty much on your own, you just have to pray your classmates are supportive. Some professors are nice though. They have a lot of dissatisfied students. Check the ranking of the school in general-- #150 overall and #79 among public schools. The faculty at the Rockford campus are much more nicer though.
Please don't get me wrong, I have been accepted, so I'm not saying this because of otherwise.

On the other hand, their pharmacy program is well respected. So at the end of the day, you have a PharmD degree from a respected program. After-all, in this world the ends justifies the means. The availability of opportunities at the Chicago area including the medical district surrounding the school (I really like the new Rush hospital building), can't be matched by most schools. Also lectures are recorded, few schools do this. Remember pharmacy school's lectures are at a faster rate and not everything from the professor can be written down.

Also remember pharmacy is a regional thing. People in Florida respects UF's program more, and VCU is the most respected program in Virginia just as Univ at Buffalo is the most respected in NY. You may go to UCSF but when you come to IL, pharmacy recruiting managers will give more respect to the UIC applicant. Why? because it's the best in the state, it's an old program, and most importantly, the manager might actually be an alumni.

So my advice is to go to the the best, cheap school in a particular region or state.
Guess what, upon my personal research, most entry level pay will be about $5600/month after tax and all. You don't want to be using half of that to pay student loans.

where do you see the ranking of the school? is that UIC in general or UIC pharmacy?

It really isn't fair to look at UIC's overall ranking. I just finished my undergrad at a top 15 university and I'm taking a few undegrad classes at UIC this semester. There is a noticeable different in the quality of students/instructors, but I think it is somewhat understandable given the size of the school and the funds available to it.

Grouping the pharm school and undergrad together in a single ranking is kind of unfair. Maybe UIC is #150 or #79 overall, but its pharmacy program is #9....that should say something. I don't really see what you mean by the ends justify the means when UIC offers such a good location and presumably good faculty and when employers probably don't care how your pharm school's associated undergrad was ranked.

I have my interview tomorrow!!!

Good luck! I'm interviewing at 6:00 PM.

Well, what all of you guys are saying is true. So many people I know are also complaining. That's UIC for you. In all honesty, if I'm an out of state student, who has another cheaper and better option I will definitely not go to UIC. They are very snobby. In other words they just don't care. Can you see the folder that was given out? There is no "UIC" logo on it, the only school to handout such a folder out of the 5 schools I have visited. Not to talk about any refreshment given. When you go there, you are pretty much on your own, you just have to pray your classmates are supportive. Some professors are nice though. They have a lot of dissatisfied students. Check the ranking of the school in general-- #150 overall and #79 among public schools. The faculty at the Rockford campus are much more nicer though.
Please don't get me wrong, I have been accepted, so I'm not saying this because of otherwise.

On the other hand, their pharmacy program is well respected. So at the end of the day, you have a PharmD degree from a respected program. After-all, in this world the ends justifies the means. The availability of opportunities at the Chicago area including the medical district surrounding the school (I really like the new Rush hospital building), can't be matched by most schools. Also lectures are recorded, few schools do this. Remember pharmacy school's lectures are at a faster rate and not everything from the professor can be written down.

Also remember pharmacy is a regional thing. People in Florida respects UF's program more, and VCU is the most respected program in Virginia just as Univ at Buffalo is the most respected in NY. You may go to UCSF but when you come to IL, pharmacy recruiting managers will give more respect to the UIC applicant. Why? because it's the best in the state, it's an old program, and most importantly, the manager might actually be an alumni.

So my advice is to go to the the best, cheap school in a particular region or state.
Guess what, upon my personal research, most entry level pay will be about $5600/month after tax and all. You don't want to be using half of that to pay student loans.

I agree with you on many of your points (and thank you so much for replying to my question -I really need other opinions), and yeah, every school I've been to so far (4 including UIC) gave refreshments, they tried to sell their school to us because it's not just them interviewing us at this point -the students should also be given a chance to interview the school too.
I am an international student so wherever I go, I will be paying the out-of-state tuition unfortunately. So UIC being in Chicago, Illinois makes no difference to me. I really liked Chicago, but the school itself is not in the greatest part of the city (I don't know what kind of a difference this would make, but still... at this point I'm trying to look at every single detail so I can make up my mind).
I want to have a supportive faculty (of course I don't want them to do everything for me, but it would be nice if they are available when I have questions or am trying to find an internship or something) and from this interview I did not get that vibe at all. I am really sad, actually. I really wanted to fall in love with UIC so I can finally make a decision and also because the school is supposed to be very well respected. The other schools I've accepted offers from so far record their lectures too so that's not a problem for me at this point.
At any rate.... Since I have no other way of getting to know the school at this point (I am not buying another plane ticket to chicago to see the school) besides emailing people, I think I will be declining their offer. I cannot accept an offer without knowing what I am getting into, especially if the deposit is $1000. There definitely are many more opportunities around that area compared to most other areas around other schools... Which is another reason why I wanted to love the school. Oh well... Hopefully this will open up a spot for someone who has been put on hold and who really wants to attend UIC. (unless something magical happens and I change my mind about the offer -doubt that will happen)

I don't really see a need for refreshments since the interview was only an hour long. However, I wish I got a tour of the school.

I don't really see a need for refreshments since the interview was only an hour long. However, I wish I got a tour of the school.

I think we mentioned refreshments just to point out how little the school had prepared for the interview and for its future students. I don't think any of us really care that much about whether there were refreshments or not :oops:
Mainly what I was concerned with is that the school really did not try to sell itself to the students. Maybe they just know that they are good and do not feel like that they need to show people that they are good. But even the best schools put an effort into preparing a nice and long day for the applicants, to make sure that the applicant gets to know the school as well. An interview is not just the school trying to pick which applicant is better than the other; it's also the students trying to pick the best fit for themselves.
I do wish that I could have gotten a better tour :(

I think we mentioned refreshments just to point out how little the school had prepared for the interview and for its future students. I don't think any of us really care that much about whether there were refreshments or not :oops:
Mainly what I was concerned with is that the school really did not try to sell itself to the students. Maybe they just know that they are good and do not feel like that they need to show people that they are good. But even the best schools put an effort into preparing a nice and long day for the applicants, to make sure that the applicant gets to know the school as well. An interview is not just the school trying to pick which applicant is better than the other; it's also the students trying to pick the best fit for themselves.
I do wish that I could have gotten a better tour :(

I agree. How was the tour? Were you able to see other parts of campus (beside the building they conducted interviews in)? I've seen one of the lecture halls during an info session. It's old, but I expected that already.

It's called being courteous to those coming to interview at the school. I came from out of state and I put so much time AND MONEY ($800+ between flights hotel and cab rides) into traveling, refreshments were the LEAST they could have done. I don't even know what the teachers are like nor what the students think of the school. I will be paying out of state tuition either way so moving to Illinois is not that big of a deal for me.. I'd rather choose a school that I will truly enjoy with an engaging and caring faculty. UIC is a great school, but for an out of state applicant, there are also other great schools.

Any current UIC pharm students want to give some input?

Last edited: