University of Illinois Large Animal Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Country_roads

MS 2015, DVM/PhD 2019
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm cross-posting this from the veterinary boards, it seems like this forum has a little heavier traffic than the former. I hope that's okay. :)

I'm currently in the process of applying around the midwest to vet schools and I'm trying to find some information about U of I's large animal program. I know they have a good swine program (after interning at CVS in Carthage for a while, we got a few through) but I'm more of a ruminant girl (dairy, beef, small). I did my undergrad at K-State, and I'm currently doing my Master's in Behavior at Iowa State so I know of their programs, but my fiance may move to Illinois for a job and I haven't been able to find out much about their dairy or beef program (I assume not many goats).

Can any Illini give me some insight?

I'm also looking at Mizzou and Tennesse if anyone from these schools wants to chime in.

Just a little bit of info about myself:
3.85 GPA undergrad, not sure on science but pretty good. Probably 3.7
3.9 GPA Graduate study, pretty much all science classes

GRE; V (156, 71%) Q (152, 48%) A (4) ---> I know, so average.

Experience;
~1000 small animal at a vet clinic, 2008
~2000 research, includes dairy, beef, goat, pig
~300 commercial dairy
~1000 commercial swine

- Received Baetan Farm Scholarship and Gaylord Munson Memorial Scholarships in Undergrad
- Member of the Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honors Society
- Participated in Kansas State's Academic Quadrathalon
- Placed 4th overall graduate student team at Intercollegiate Animal Welfare Judging & Assessment Competition
- Numerous Presidential Honor Rolls, Semester Honors

The only thing that really kills me is the lack of community service. I walk dogs every now and then at the local shelter but other than lots of volunteer hours when I was 12, I've had to work full time to put myself through college.

Also, I may or may not pursue further a concurrent PhD because I do love the topic of welfare.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I'm cross-posting this from the veterinary boards, it seems like this forum has a little heavier traffic than the former. I hope that's okay. :)

I'm currently in the process of applying around the midwest to vet schools and I'm trying to find some information about U of I's large animal program. I know they have a good swine program (after interning at CVS in Carthage for a while, we got a few through) but I'm more of a ruminant girl (dairy, beef, small). I did my undergrad at K-State, and I'm currently doing my Master's in Behavior at Iowa State so I know of their programs, but my fiance may move to Illinois for a job and I haven't been able to find out much about their dairy or beef program (I assume not many goats).

Can any Illini give me some insight?

I'm also looking at Mizzou and Tennesse if anyone from these schools wants to chime in.

Just a little bit of info about myself:
3.85 GPA undergrad, not sure on science but pretty good. Probably 3.7
3.9 GPA Graduate study, pretty much all science classes

GRE; V (156, 71%) Q (152, 48%) A (4) ---> I know, so average.

Experience;
~1000 small animal at a vet clinic, 2008
~2000 research, includes dairy, beef, goat, pig
~300 commercial dairy
~1000 commercial swine

- Received Baetan Farm Scholarship and Gaylord Munson Memorial Scholarships in Undergrad
- Member of the Gamma Sigma Delta Agricultural Honors Society
- Participated in Kansas State's Academic Quadrathalon
- Placed 4th overall graduate student team at Intercollegiate Animal Welfare Judging & Assessment Competition
- Numerous Presidential Honor Rolls, Semester Honors

The only thing that really kills me is the lack of community service. I walk dogs every now and then at the local shelter but other than lots of volunteer hours when I was 12, I've had to work full time to put myself through college.

Also, I may or may not pursue further a concurrent PhD because I do love the topic of welfare.

Thanks all!

Hello! I'm not a Illinois student, but instead I go to Mizzou and absolutely love it!! I am a small animal person, but I know we have a pretty active large animal dept. And the food animal rotation posts a lot of pictures of all kinds of small ruminants on their FB page. We have an active Bovine club as well as small ruminant club.. One of my good friends is the new President for Small ruminant club and thy are always going out to help shear Alpacas and doing ruminant stuff lol. There is also a 4th year here on the forums that has talked about how much she loved her farm animal rotations, so much that she might want to go into mixed practice instead of just small animal.

I'm a second year and we have had some experience with the LA clinicians, and everyone seems really nice and eager to teach. Our large animal hospital and small animal hospital is all under one giant roof!! Which is a huge plus to the student on clinics bc they don't have to travel any farther to get to the hospital.

The biggest benefit of going to Mizzou is that we start clinics in October of 3rd year instead of April or may of 3rd year like a lot of other schools so you get 8 or so months extra clinical training!! We also get a lot of time to do preceptorships outside of the hospital in private practices or other universities! We also can get instate tuition after first year which makes Mizzou super affordable for OOS students!

If you have any questions about Mizzou, you can send me a PM or just ask here on the thread !

Illinois does have a pretty decent large animal department. We have our own beef, swine, and dairy herds that you can get hired on to work at. We start rotations first year and you will get hands on experience at each of these farms (bleeding, palpating, milking, etc). The Farms ward stays pretty busy as well, and if you ask me farms has some of the nicest most patient clinicians around. The school also assists a private goat dairy farm that you can get lots of experience at during rotations and kidding seasons.

If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.

eta: sorry for the short reply, migraine.

Thank you both for your replies! I'm sure I'll russle up some questions here pretty soon as I get more in to the applications.

Once again, thank you