University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Class of 2017 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I just wanted to say that I had my interview today and for those of you on the future interview dates don't stress too much. Make sure you practice sample interview questions but they are pretty laid back and help you to feel comfortable! I feel I did pretty well, I'm hoping they agree. But basically I want to put anyone's mind at ease. I was pretty nervous and I ended up really enjoying my day. I went to the meet and greet yesterday and that was very helpful not only information wise but also will my nerves. I was pretty worried for the essay portion as well because I didn't know what to expect but it was a pleasant surprise. I didn't feel rushed during the 30 minutes and the questions were not very difficult. Best of luck to everyone and hopefully we all receive good news and will be in class together:)

I just had my interview as well. The written essay was not something unusual. It was very straightforward and could be answered easily. The interview was also very relaxed, almost like a casual conversation.

Good luck to all other applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
when and where was the meet and greet because there was not much information about it in the email

when and where was the meet and greet because there was not much information about it in the email

It's Friday 6 to 7 in room 115 in the pharmacy building. That's where you will meet for your interview too.

Can I ask how many of you already have your degree or will have your degree if you received an interview? I feel like a lot of people had a degree already (I do not and will not have one by the end of this spring). Since the school doesn't require a bachelor's, I was wondering how common it is to apply without a degree.

I had an interview last Saturday, and I will be graduating this spring with a bachelors. But from the people I talked to during the interview, I feel like it was 50/50. I don't think that Iowa would choose someone who has a degree over someone who doesn't! So I wouldn't worry!

Flight canceled

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Just had my interview! Loved it

Can I ask how many of you already have your degree or will have your degree if you received an interview? I feel like a lot of people had a degree already (I do not and will not have one by the end of this spring). Since the school doesn't require a bachelor's, I was wondering how common it is to apply without a degree.

I will graduate with my bachelors in may buy there were a lot of sophomores and juniors at my I interview date.

I will graduate with my bachelors in may buy there were a lot of sophomores and juniors at my I interview date.

Do they prefer people with bachelors? I don't see anywhere that indicates that's

They said that it's not an issue. However, I think the more years in school you have attended, the more you are able to show your capability.

Mmm i see. I hope i get in.. I have a low GPA though

Members don't see this ad :)
It's between Iowa and the University of Minnesota. I am currently doing my undergrad here, but I'm originally from MN. So I'm torn.

It's between Iowa and the University of Minnesota. I am currently doing my undergrad here, but I'm originally from MN. So I'm torn.

Wow, you're so good and heard back so fast.. When did you interview?

I'm in the same boat except I haven't heard from either yet. But I'm from the TC area and undergrad in Iowa. Well let us know what you choose! Have you already been accepted to Minnesota too?

I submitted my application to both schools basically as soon as you could submit them. I really took advantage of MN's rolling admissions and I think that's probably the main reason I got in. I interviewed with MN on September 21st and was accepted by November 16th. I'm pretty sure that was the first interview date and my application had to be one of the first ones they looked at because I submitted and completed everything the first day you could. I interviewed at Iowa on the 26th of January.

My stats really aren't that great not gonna lie. Nothing impressive compared to some of the people on these threads. I have a 78 PCAT, a 3.4 GPA I'm a Human Physiology Major with a Chemistry minor. I work in a hospital in the Urology department. I do speak 3 languages, and have about a billion volunteer hours (I'm not sure if they actually care about stuff like that though). To be honest I think my interviews and the fact that I applied so early are the reasons I got in to both schools.

Got my acceptance email yesterday so happy! Also seems like a great school, really enjoyed the interview there.

Got my acceptance email yesterday so happy! Also seems like a great school, really enjoyed the interview there.

Congrats. I hope I get accepted.. When did you guys interview?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Congrats. I hope I get accepted.. When did you guys interview?

Thank you! I'm sure you will get in. And I interviewed January 26

Congrats to all of you! That was a very fast reply, considering they started reviews on Monday.

Thank you! I'm sure you will get in. And I interviewed January 26

I see. Nice. I was in Feb 2nd morning. Hopefully soon.. My GPA is only 2.7 though: (

I see. Nice. I was in Feb 2nd morning. Hopefully soon.. My GPA is only 2.7 though: (

I think if you stand out somewhere else (your PCAT, extra curricular, volunteer, work, or special situation) your GPA can be overlooked. This is just my own idea. I am not sure what type of administration Iowa is, but they seemed very nice at the interview.

Yeah I was really surprised to hear back so fast. But i had a low GPA as well 3.0, made up for it with a 96 composite on the PCAT, research lab experience, volunteer exp, and pharmacy tech, etc.. so they are definitely looking at the whole package. Also it helped that i crushed the interview !

Anyone who was accepted interested in a FB page? Might be easier to communicate with the class and discuss lodging/travel plans for next fall.

Congrats to all accepted! Were you in the morning or afternoon interview time on the 26th?

Anyone who was accepted interested in a FB page? Might be easier to communicate with the class and discuss lodging/travel plans for next fall.
Yes please for the Facebook group! I tried to start one but I needed to have someone else to join it in order for it to work. I was also accepted last Tuesday morning and interviewed jan 26. I am looking for a roommate if anyone is interested!

Just kidding! I made a Facebook group for accepted applicants. Here it is!
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/UICOP2017/

Last edited:
And now is the waiting game... Good luck to those interviewing this weekend!

Got my acceptance notification email today. :) good luck everyone!

I received an acceptance email today too and I also interviewed Jan 26 in the afternoon :)

Good luck to everyone who still has their interview coming up! They did a good job of making me feel comfortable throughout the day and also selling their whole pharmacy program. You can tell the faculty cares a lot about the students because they show it during the interview process.

Nice. They're at afternoon now. Last week was morning. I interviewed Feb 2nd morning. Hopefully hear back soon.

I got an email from them and it was the best Valentines gift I could ever ask for. I was the Jan 26th morning interview session so I do not believe they separate the sessions on who gets accepted or not. If they like you and if you're a good candidate then you're in. Good luck to everyone, and remember to be proud of yourself for even getting an interview! Whohoooo guys we did it!

Class of 2017 University of Iowa!

Does anyone know how long we have to accept the offer? I know at some schools you only have 2 weeks? What about this school?

They might have had a couple morning people left to review this week with the afternoon. Would those who got accepted this week mind sharing stats?

Congrats again to all those who just got accepted!

Nice. They're at afternoon now. Last week was morning. I interviewed Feb 2nd morning. Hopefully hear back soon.

Right now it seems like they are reviewing files in the order of the interview. I believe I recall one of the administrators saying they review 30-40 files a week (since early February). So I think you can expect to hear something within mid-March. This is just an estimate assuming most of your application was good.

They might have had a couple morning people left to review this week with the afternoon. Would those who got accepted this week mind sharing stats?

Non-science GPA: 3.57
Science GPA: 3.4
PCAT: 92
Current Uiowa student, will have bachelors degree.
2 years honors research
some volunteer experience, nothing super impressive.
1 year pharm tech experience
2 letters of rec from iowa professors + 1 pharmacist
Felt that my interview went okay, but not great.

Hope this helps :)

I think I heard they go through in order and you are placed into groups based on their level of interest in you and if you are a shoe in through the first review you get in. At least that's how I understood it from Dean Kelly.

I think I heard they go through in order and you are placed into groups based on their level of interest in you and if you are a shoe in through the first review you get in. At least that's how I understood it from Dean Kelly.

Yea i think thats how it works too. Because i was interviewed on jan 26th in the morn, and when i emailed dean kelly, he said they wont get to my name until at least this week. (I have a low pcat score). So hopefully ill hear back from them this week!

I will also be applying to Iowa this upcoming cycle. I've researched and contacted the school and their program looks great. I'm an out-of-state student. Can any pharm students or ppl who interviewed there give me their opinion on the community, location or facility?
Thank you!

I just got the acceptance email!! So excited! I was hoping to get the tuition scholarship since I'm out of state. Do any of you know if those scholarships are awarded after you accept admission?

I just got the acceptance email!! So excited! I was hoping to get the tuition scholarship since I'm out of state. Do any of you know if those scholarships are awarded after you accept admission?

Congrats. When was your interview??

I will also be applying to Iowa this upcoming cycle. I've researched and contacted the school and their program looks great. I'm an out-of-state student. Can any pharm students or ppl who interviewed there give me their opinion on the community, location or facility?
Thank you!

I've done my undergrad at Iowa, and know a lot of people in pharmacy school currently. Iowa city itself is a very diverse area, there's always something going on within the city if you take time to look for it. Everyone assumes Iowa is boring--it's not, trust me. If you're into the bar scene, Iowa city also has great nightlife.

The location of the pharmacy school isn't in the best area for driving to school (there's no parking, but there's no parking anywhere around campus really, most people bus, ride a bike, or walk)--it's literallly surrounded by residence halls, the hospital, medical research labs, and the feild house. However, being located right next to the hospital and medical school has advantages--you'll be taking classes taught by some medical school professors and you have access to the hospital to network.

The facility-- the building itself is outdated, but the lab area as well as student rooms are up to date to make your education the best possible. As for the overall building, they're beginning construction on a new pharmacy facility next year.

Overall, Iowa's pharmacy school is an excellent program that's been around for a long time. The facility may look a little old, but the rooms you'll spend your time in are updated. If you decide to live somewhere and you want to avoid a noisy area,, i'd suggest avoiding downtown--the west side of the Iowa river has a lot of areas that aren't too expensive and are for the most part quiet.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me. :)