University of Iowa College of Pharmacy Class of 2017 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like they are still looking over the first interview date. I wonder when they will start on the second date

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the acceptance email!! So excited! I was hoping to get the tuition scholarship since I'm out of state. Do any of you know if those scholarships are awarded after you accept admission?

It's an automatic scholarship so as soon as you enroll and they see you have met the qualifications you should receive it. As a precaution, I would email them about this scholarship if this is a basis for whether or not you decide to attend. Also, congratulations!

Afternoon of Jan 26th

Good job.

I've done my undergrad at Iowa, and know a lot of people in pharmacy school currently. Iowa city itself is a very diverse area, there's always something going on within the city if you take time to look for it. Everyone assumes Iowa is boring--it's not, trust me. If you're into the bar scene, Iowa city also has great nightlife.

The location of the pharmacy school isn't in the best area for driving to school (there's no parking, but there's no parking anywhere around campus really, most people bus, ride a bike, or walk)--it's literallly surrounded by residence halls, the hospital, medical research labs, and the feild house. However, being located right next to the hospital and medical school has advantages--you'll be taking classes taught by some medical school professors and you have access to the hospital to network.

The facility-- the building itself is outdated, but the lab area as well as student rooms are up to date to make your education the best possible. As for the overall building, they're beginning construction on a new pharmacy facility next year.

Overall, Iowa's pharmacy school is an excellent program that's been around for a long time. The facility may look a little old, but the rooms you'll spend your time in are updated. If you decide to live somewhere and you want to avoid a noisy area,, i'd suggest avoiding downtown--the west side of the Iowa river has a lot of areas that aren't too expensive and are for the most part quiet.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me. :)

Thank you for the input. Are there lots of Asian food around? I love Asian food: (

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like they are still looking over the first interview date. I wonder when they will start on the second date
I am wondering the same thing. I interviewed Feb 2nd in the afternoon... Therefore, I am guessing that I have a few weeks to go? :-/

Good job.
Thank you for the input. Are there lots of Asian food around? I love Asian food: (

There seems to be more and more places opening up. My favorite places so far are Thai Flavors and Szechuan House. Those are close to each other. I heard Taste of China by the Hamburg Inn is good too. There's two bubble tea shops that opened up. Within Iowa City itself is one Asian market but I think it's more of a snack shop. If you are looking for an Asian grocery store there are two in Coralville. Let me know if you also want to know anything else about Iowa City!

There seems to be more and more places opening up. My favorite places so far are Thai Flavors and Szechuan House. Those are close to each other. I heard Taste of China by the Hamburg Inn is good too. There's two bubble tea shops that opened up. Within Iowa City itself is one Asian market but I think it's more of a snack shop. If you are looking for an Asian grocery store there are two in Coralville. Let me know if you also want to know anything else about Iowa City!

Mmm sounds good. I like Chinese

I just got an acceptance email this morning, FYI, for those of you keeping an eye out.

I've done my undergrad at Iowa, and know a lot of people in pharmacy school currently. Iowa city itself is a very diverse area, there's always something going on within the city if you take time to look for it. Everyone assumes Iowa is boring--it's not, trust me. If you're into the bar scene, Iowa city also has great nightlife.

The location of the pharmacy school isn't in the best area for driving to school (there's no parking, but there's no parking anywhere around campus really, most people bus, ride a bike, or walk)--it's literallly surrounded by residence halls, the hospital, medical research labs, and the feild house. However, being located right next to the hospital and medical school has advantages--you'll be taking classes taught by some medical school professors and you have access to the hospital to network.

The facility-- the building itself is outdated, but the lab area as well as student rooms are up to date to make your education the best possible. As for the overall building, they're beginning construction on a new pharmacy facility next year.

Overall, Iowa's pharmacy school is an excellent program that's been around for a long time. The facility may look a little old, but the rooms you'll spend your time in are updated. If you decide to live somewhere and you want to avoid a noisy area,, i'd suggest avoiding downtown--the west side of the Iowa river has a lot of areas that aren't too expensive and are for the most part quiet.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me. :)
Being taught by med professors and having access to hospital network as a student sounds fantastic. Wish I could visit the campus, but live in FL :/

Thank you very much for the input!

I have been keeping my fingers crossed...Lets all have hope

Does anyone know if
C- is okay for prereq or does it have to be at least C

all I do is get on my email and hit refresh, everyday

It seems like they only release decisions once a week. No point in checking till next Monday since they released it few days ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
All prerequisites should be completed with a minimum of a C from my understanding. I think that's the standard for most pharmacy schools. I know some schools require at least a B in English and speech courses.

I'm still waiting to hear back as well. *sigh*

Actually I emailed Richard he got back with me saying C- will do.

Actually I emailed Richard he got back with me saying C- will do.

I wish I had known that before! I am taking another bio class to fulfill one of the prereqs.

I am really hoping to have some good news this week! :)

Has anyone gotten any acceptance emails from this weeks decisions yet?

January 26th,
GPA: 3.5
PCAT 90
BA in Interdepartmental Sciences in Health Science at Iowa

Just got acceptance email. Feb 2nd morning

I got my acceptance letter on 03/01. I interviewed the morning of the 2nd, and my stats are:

3.4 cum gpa
78 pcat
degree in psychology by may
pharmacy technician since november
2 references from pharmacists

For those of you who have been accepted, have you received the formal documents to complete? Did you get them by email or mail? I got my acceptance email on monday and was just wondering when to expect them! Thanks!

I emailed Teresa, she said this :

I will send the official paperwork and then within 2-3 weeks you should receive information from the University of Iowa admissions office regarding the deposit.

You will receive the formal documents via US Postal Service.

I was accepted March 1st. I thought deposit is due within 2 weeks.. I guess not? Do people who got accepted earlier than March 1st, have input? Thanks!

I will send the official paperwork and then within 2-3 weeks you should receive information from the University of Iowa admissions office regarding the deposit.

I was accepted March 1st. I thought deposit is due within 2 weeks.. I guess not? Do people who got accepted earlier than March 1st, have input? Thanks!

Did she email back when you accepted your spot? I emailed her to accept mine, but she never sent anything back. I was just wondering if that was normal? Congrats again!

Did she email back when you accepted your spot? I emailed her to accept mine, but she never sent anything back. I was just wondering if that was normal? Congrats again!

Yea she emailed me back. I copied her response from my earlier post. It took her 5 days to respond though lol

I got accepted on 2/14 and have yet to recieve the official formal documents. The conditional acceptance letter came in the mail ten days after I was emailed of acceptance. I've gotten a few emails requesting forms to be filled out, apparently I've finished the last form and will be getting my official letter to pay the deposit soon.

I got accepted on 2/14 and have yet to recieve the official formal documents. The conditional acceptance letter came in the mail ten days after I was emailed of acceptance. I've gotten a few emails requesting forms to be filled out, apparently I've finished the last form and will be getting my official letter to pay the deposit soon.

Ohh you haven't even paid deposit yet? I was scared I have to fork out deposit money because I'm waiting on Minnesota still. I won't know until 3/18

Ohh you haven't even paid deposit yet? I was scared I have to fork out deposit money because I'm waiting on Minnesota still. I won't know until 3/18

I haven't, no. I just had to respond saying I was attending and started filling out paperwork for the school

Does anyone know of the University of Iowa has a waitlist at all? If there is none, does that mean if we don't hear back then we're rejected?

Does anyone know of the University of Iowa has a waitlist at all? If there is none, does that mean if we don't hear back then we're rejected?

Yes there will be a waitlist. it's still early.

I was also accepted on 3/19! Great email to receive after getting back from spring break:) I will be attending Iowa in the fall!

2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom House for sale:

I just recently graduated from UI so I'm putting up my duplex for sale. It's located in Iowa City in a neighborhood mostly with med and dental students, about 2 miles away from campus, on the bus line, and close to the grocery store/restaurants/shopping.

PM me for more info. Thanks!

Just gave up my spot. Good luck y'all

I was just accepted on 3/26, I interviewed in the last group!

I thought I'd post this here for anyone new to the area and looking for a place to live...I have a 3 bedroom condo on the east side of Iowa City and I am looking for 2 roommates. If anyone is interested let me know and I can give you more information.

Thanks and good luck!

I have officially been wait-listed :( Could someone please explain to me how it works? I don't know whether or not there are two different lists? I asked & apparently, it isn't ranked; so how do they know who to accept & who not to accept on the list?

I have been wait listed as well, and would really like to know how it works

I have been wait listed as well, and would really like to know how it works
Pretty much how it works is that the wait list isn't specifically ranked but everyone is in a general order. I was wait listed last year and never heard anything until Aug when I finally called the college and they told me they had filled the spots. They will slowly let people in off of the list as people who were already accepted turn down their offers as they get in to other schools. Also a lot of the time they wait for spring grades to come out especially if you are a UIowa undergrad.

Also, not everyone who had an interview was waitlisted. They have sent out some denied letters as well with no opportunity to be placed on the waitlist.

Pretty much how it works is that the wait list isn't specifically ranked but everyone is in a general order. I was wait listed last year and never heard anything until Aug when I finally called the college and they told me they had filled the spots. They will slowly let people in off of the list as people who were already accepted turn down their offers as they get in to other schools. Also a lot of the time they wait for spring grades to come out especially if you are a UIowa undergrad.

Also, not everyone who had an interview was waitlisted. They have sent out some denied letters as well with no opportunity to be placed on the waitlist.

Do you know how they decide the general order of everyone? And thanks for explaining!!