University of Iowa Pharmacy Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you mind sharing WHY you feel this way about Iowa's classes being research based? I can't say that I am particularly excited for research but during my interview nothing was mentioned about this. Thanks.

I agree, I did have a slightly disorganized tour group so maybe I missed it?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your acceptance! Just curious as to why you got the impression they were not far along in the process?

Just based on the emails I had sent asking how the process was going. Their goal is may 1st and it seems at least last year a lot of people finally got their resolution right about then.

Would you mind sharing WHY you feel this way about Iowa's classes being research based? I can't say that I am particularly excited for research but during my interview nothing was mentioned about this. Thanks.

During my interview the students who were giving the tour kept mentioning research in every sentence they spoke.. I also remember them talking about research based classes and what not.

My interviewers also talked about research and nothing about residency so yea..

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Iowa historically only sends out acceptance emails on Tuesdays?

I'm not sure what to do, I have an interview for another school that I am really not interested in but accepted in interview a long time ago just in case and it'll be tough to fork out more money. I had no idea Iowa was seriously going to take this long, no other school is taking this long to decide. I've got offers at other schools but I have yet to respond because I'd like to go to Iowa but I don't want to lose out on an opportunity to be admitted somewhere else because I am waiting to hear back. Does anyone know if Iowa only sends out acceptance letters right away and then all their rejections in May or something? This hold up is causing me grief and I'd just like to move forward.

I'm sure someone knows how I am feeling...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Iowa historically only sends out acceptance emails on Tuesdays?

I'm not sure what to do, I have an interview for another school that I am really not interested in but accepted in interview a long time ago just in case and it'll be tough to fork out more money. I had no idea Iowa was seriously going to take this long, no other school is taking this long to decide. I've got offers at other schools but I have yet to respond because I'd like to go to Iowa but I don't want to lose out on an opportunity to be admitted somewhere else because I am waiting to hear back. Does anyone know if Iowa only sends out acceptance letters right away and then all their rejections in May or something? This hold up is causing me grief and I'd just like to move forward.

I'm sure someone knows how I am feeling...

Mine came earlier this week on Tuesday. Seems to be Monday or Tuesday based on posts on SDN.

First, Congratulations on all peoples who got accepted.

I have one question and would like those who got accepted to answer.
Is any of you who got accepted in Iowa in-state applicant? I just try to figure out if they sent acceptance to OOS first or not.

Hopefully for the 2/25 applicants we'll hear something back this week :xf::luck::xf:

Is any of you who got accepted in Iowa in-state applicant? I just try to figure out if they sent acceptance to OOS first or not.
Sorry no one has responded. When did you interview?

I am OOS and I interviewed on the 18th of Feb.. I heard back after 20 days.. During the interview they mentioned that they let the applicants know as soon as their files have been reviewed.. It doesn't matter if you are OOS or not .. Hope that helps

I'm instate, heard back about a month after the interview. It seems the interview date is the most important factor in determining when you hear back assuming you get admitted upon the first review.

If it helps, I know someone that interviewed about two weeks before me (we both applied for the c/o 2015) and she heard back at least a month before I did. We were both accepted but decided to attend other schools. They just get backed up reviewing applications, so don't fret if you haven't heard back yet and you know others have. Don't quote me on this, but I think they also sent out acceptances to roughly 1.5-2 times as many students as they had spots for because they know that a lot of students choose to attend other schools, so if you got an interview in the first place you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. I hope that settles some worries, and good luck to you all!

If it helps, I know someone that interviewed about two weeks before me (we both applied for the c/o 2015) and she heard back at least a month before I did. We were both accepted but decided to attend other schools. They just get backed up reviewing applications, so don't fret if you haven't heard back yet and you know others have. Don't quote me on this, but I think they also sent out acceptances to roughly 1.5-2 times as many students as they had spots for because they know that a lot of students choose to attend other schools, so if you got an interview in the first place you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. I hope that settles some worries, and good luck to you all!
Thanks for sharing. I just wonder why Iowa is taking so much longer than other schools to get through their applications with it being so late in the application process.

Has anyone heard anything today from the 2/25 interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
No.. Did you?
Nope. Wish I could've interviewed earlier in the month and found out in 2.5 weeks like some of the other applicants have. I have so many things riding on Iowa's response and I just need an answer so I know how to move forward...

I am starting to try and think about housing/roommate situations in Iowa City. Does any know if good places to live or ways we can connect with roommates?

I am thinking about living in Coralville if I attend.

Can anyone tell me what the party area of Iowa city is? I am not much of a partier and would like a quieter area to live in.

I would stay away from living downtown on the eastside of the river.

Hi, I am looking for a female roommate. Please PM me if you are attending University of Iowa this fall and either have a spare room or want to find a place together. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what the party area of Iowa city is? I am not much of a partier and would like a quieter area to live in.

unfortunately Iowa City is definately a party city. It is one of my least favorite things about living here.

Just to update everybody. At my counseling appointment I found out that they have finish review 2/18 interviews. If you haven't heard back from that date yet then you are further down on the list and will hear in May their final decision for you. As for the 2/25 interviewers (which I am one of) they just started reviewing those applications so again we will probably hear closer to May.

Kgross --> What kind of counseling appointment was that? Did you call the school and ask or did you meet with the dean? And, did they say when in May people should expect to hear from them?

I got accepted today and I was interviewed 2/18. So at least for this week, they still reviewed 2/18 interviewees.

I got accepted today and I was interviewed 2/18. So at least for this week, they still reviewed 2/18 interviewees.
Congrats on your acceptance! Did you get an email this morning then?

Kgross --> What kind of counseling appointment was that? Did you call the school and ask or did you meet with the dean? And, did they say when in May people should expect to hear from them?

It was just an academic appointment because I am doing my undergrad at Iowa and my advisor is on the committee. And they just said May.... :(

Hello everyone! Yay, congratulations to those that got accepted so far! I am now looking into housing options so if the current pharmacy students or those of you that are familiar with the neighborhood can give some feedback on which places are good to live in for cost, distance from the pharmacy building, and safety, please let us know!

Also, I am looking for a female suite-mate so PM me if you are too! :)

yay!!! I am also looking for a female roommate~ I am a Korean girl so if you are interested PM me :)

Btw my interview was 4th of Feb and because I was accepted to two other schools and their seat deposits are due next week I emailed Dean Kelly regarding my chances and he said he was glad that I contacted him and then I got the offer letter like ten seconds later. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Btw my interview was 4th of Feb and because I was accepted to two other schools and their seat deposits are due next week I emailed Dean Kelly regarding my chances and he said he was glad that I contacted him and then I got the offer letter like ten seconds later. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

Congratz on getting in! I also sent an email to Dean Kelly but only got a reply about my chance of getting admitted:( I did the interview on 25th so havent heard it back yet.. Still waiting.. Btw I am Korean too! hopefully I can see you in sep:)

Congrats to all who made it in! What date did you all interview? I was waiting so long to hear back from them that I gave up :(. Instead I sent my deposit in for UW today.

Congrats to all who made it in! What date did you all interview? I was waiting so long to hear back from them that I gave up :(. Instead I sent my deposit in for UW today.
I've really been taken back by how long they are taking. This late in the cycle, I would think that they know they are going to lose out on great applicants by taking so long to get back to some of the latter interviewees.

I completely agree! I emailed Dean Kelly this morning and he said that my application isn't even scheduled to be reviewed until April 16! This is absolutely ridiculous!

I completely agree! I emailed Dean Kelly this morning and he said that my application isn't even scheduled to be reviewed until April 16! This is absolutely ridiculous!

Can I you ask whether your interview was in the morning or afternoon?
Morning interviews come out first?

Can I you ask whether your interview was in the morning or afternoon?
Morning interviews come out first?

My interview was in the afternoon. I do believe that it goes by morning then afternoon. And within the morning and afternoon groups it goes by your call time. He said everybody from every interview date that hasn't found out will find out May 1st whether they have been accepted, waitlisted, or denied. So as obnoxious as that date seems since interviews were so long ago, at least it isn't to much of a wait now!

Received acceptance email around 830 this morning. Interviewed on 2/25 afternoon

Hi, I was accepted recently and starting to look for apts. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not from the Iowa area so I'm going based just on reviews :/

I had an interview on 25th and got accepted today. Good luck everyone:)

Hi, I was accepted recently and starting to look for apts. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not from the Iowa area so I'm going based just on reviews :/
If you can avoid it, try to not rent from apartments downtown. They have screwed over so many tenants you don't want to deal with them!

I interviewed on 2/25 but still didn't hear anything about my admission status lol

I interviewed on 2/25 but still didn't hear anything about my admission status lol
I have not heard anything (at all) either. Disappointed because Dean Kelly told me my chances were excellent but I got tired of waiting and sent my deposit elsewhere. I think making a student wait >8+ weeks to receive feedback after being told 6 to 7 weeks (which is still long, especially this late in the cycle) is inconsiderate for the applicant whom spent a lot of time and money applying and interviewing at this school. Maybe this school's program is just too complacent for me but, I wish everyone else the best.

I got in last week and I'm looking for a roommate. Send me message if you're interested.
I'm not from Iowa so any recommendation for where to get a good apartment would be appreciate.

I just got an admission e-mail after being waitlisted! Good luck and fingers crossed for everyone else! :)