University of Kentucky Class of 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my acceptance e-mail this afternoon! I'm on cloud nine!

Members don't see this ad.

Did your acceptance email tell you about your summer assignments yet? You have plenty of time to prepare, so while you have extra time you'll want to work on them (they're not that hard, but hurt you really bad if you blow them off).

Did your acceptance email tell you about your summer assignments yet? You have plenty of time to prepare, so while you have extra time you'll want to work on them (they're not that hard, but hurt you really bad if you blow them off).

It basically said, "You're accepted. Your real letter and handbook will be coming soon." The PY1s that took us on our tours warned about summer homework. Definitely going to work on that as soon as it's available, because they also said that you have to take the GRE to do the dual-degrees and the PY1 interested in the Public Health degree (what I'm also interested in) said she wished she had taken it before she started school, so I'm going to try to take the GRE before August, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry much about the GRE. I took it in 2004. If you did well enough on your PCAT to get pharmacy school interviews and get accepted, you'll do well enough on your GRE. It's good to do it when you don't have the pharmacy course load, but that doesn't necessarily mean this summer. You don't start dual degree classes until PY2, so you can take it next summer if necessary. But if you can prepare for it this summer and get it out of the way, that's good.

It basically said, "You're accepted. Your real letter and handbook will be coming soon." The PY1s that took us on our tours warned about summer homework. Definitely going to work on that as soon as it's available, because they also said that you have to take the GRE to do the dual-degrees and the PY1 interested in the Public Health degree (what I'm also interested in) said she wished she had taken it before she started school, so I'm going to try to take the GRE before August, too.

You probably won't even need to take the GRE. See here.

"The College of Public Health will allow pharmacy students to submit their PCAT scores in lieu of GRE scores. The PCAT results have to be sent to the College of Public Health via the College of Pharmacy."

Unless this policy has changed or your PCAT score is severely lacking, I wouldn't bother taking the GRE.

You probably won't even need to take the GRE. See here.

"The College of Public Health will allow pharmacy students to submit their PCAT scores in lieu of GRE scores. The PCAT results have to be sent to the College of Public Health via the College of Pharmacy."

Unless this policy has changed or your PCAT score is severely lacking, I wouldn't bother taking the GRE.

That's what I had thought, but she mentioned it and I was like, "Okay, it must be true." My composite's a 79 so I don't think that's too terrible. But I've noticed that they can be a little slow to update the website so I might shoot an e-mail to check--it's entirely possible that HER PCAT score was weak and/or she wasn't up to speed on the policy, too.

I wouldn't worry much about the GRE. I took it in 2004. If you did well enough on your PCAT to get pharmacy school interviews and get accepted, you'll do well enough on your GRE. It's good to do it when you don't have the pharmacy course load, but that doesn't necessarily mean this summer. You don't start dual degree classes until PY2, so you can take it next summer if necessary. But if you can prepare for it this summer and get it out of the way, that's good.

I'm definitely not too stressed about it since verbal was my best PCAT subscore and the math is easier on the GRE. My desire to take it this summer is only because after PY1 I might want that break, compared to the relatively light courseload I have at present.

Also: Anyone who is a mod... is there ANY way we can change this thread title so it fits the rest of the board? I know, I know... it isn't necessary but it bugs me visually to see it amongst the "Whatever Uni Class of 16 Applicants" threads and it be so different. I'm a nerd that way.

Last edited:
Congrats aocutiepi. I'm still crossing my fingers for a november interview. I'm officially released from my early decision commitment, but I haven't thought twice about applying to another school. I wouldn't even know where to begin...

Congrats aocutiepi. I'm still crossing my fingers for a november interview. I'm officially released from my early decision commitment, but I haven't thought twice about applying to another school. I wouldn't even know where to begin...

Thanks, UofK. I know my game plan if I didn't get into UK was to apply at Cincinnati, Sullivan (and quickly because seats are almost gone from what my classmates are saying), Mercer and PCOM. If I had to from there I was going to try South, Lipscomb, Butler, Charleston and Ferris State.

I think you have great stats and I completely understanding wanting UK and not thinking about applying elsewhere. It's a pretty awesome school and it's close to home (relatively) for me. I went to undergrad in Lexington, too, so it's perk that I'll be near friends and TU/AOII alum events.

Crossing my fingers that you hear something soon about November interviews. :xf:

Thanks, UofK. I know my game plan if I didn't get into UK was to apply at Cincinnati, Sullivan (and quickly because seats are almost gone from what my classmates are saying), Mercer and PCOM. If I had to from there I was going to try South, Lipscomb, Butler, Charleston and Ferris State.

I think you have great stats and I completely understanding wanting UK and not thinking about applying elsewhere. It's a pretty awesome school and it's close to home (relatively) for me. I went to undergrad in Lexington, too, so it's perk that I'll be near friends and TU/AOII alum events.

Crossing my fingers that you hear something soon about November interviews. :xf:

Sullivan fills up quickly because they start earlier than other schools. I'm kind of mad at them from last year. I applied by their deadline, and they cashed the check, then sent a letter saying their class was already full. I didn't get declined or anything, it was just kind of, "Oh, hey, we're full already. Thanks for the application fee. We can keep you on file for next year, though."

Sullivan fills up quickly because they start earlier than other schools. I'm kind of mad at them from last year. I applied by their deadline, and they cashed the check, then sent a letter saying their class was already full. I didn't get declined or anything, it was just kind of, "Oh, hey, we're full already. Thanks for the application fee. We can keep you on file for next year, though."

It's crazy ridiculous how early they start. My Orgo lab partner got accepted in September, and another girl in our class got in in MAY. I'm the only pre-pharm in my class who isn't going to Sullivan or currently in their application process and the girls who just got in said it was close to being full. I was actually paranoid I'd end up in a situation like yours because I was waiting for UK to get back to me before I spent the $100 for their application. I was worried my being a cheapskate would screw me over. :laugh:

Also, if I were in your situation, I'd still be mad at them as well! Pretty nice of them to use your money like that. :p

Also: Anyone who is a mod... is there ANY way we can change this thread title so it fits the rest of the board? I know, I know... it isn't necessary but it bugs me visually to see it amongst the "Whatever Uni Class of 16 Applicants" threads and it be so different. I'm a nerd that way.

I see your point, but I'd need the OP to request such a change.

Last edited:
I got my interview from UK this afternoon. what questions they will ask during the interview? thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
If they don't want to invite an applicant for an interview do they send an email regarding that?

Hi i wonder if you can change my thread name to "University of Kentucky Class of 2016 Applicants."

Congrats to everyone who got interviews!

Yep...no interview request sent yet for me, either. I'm really hoping they're still finalizing invitations for interviews, otherwise, I probably wasted a lot of time and money taking those extra business classes for MBA pre-reqs. :-\ UK hasn't given a definite date set for February. Does UK regularly have February interviews, or do they typically fill up openings from the applicants that interview in November?

Yep...no interview request sent yet for me, either. I'm really hoping they're still finalizing invitations for interviews, otherwise, I probably wasted a lot of time and money taking those extra business classes for MBA pre-reqs. :-\ UK hasn't given a definite date set for February. Does UK regularly have February interviews, or do they typically fill up openings from the applicants that interview in November?

I have a friend who interviewed in February last year and got in, and another who interviewed, got waitlisted and found out in July that he got in. I wouldn't give up hope yet. Are you applying anywhere else?

Last edited:

I interviewed in February, got put in the hold pool, and got an acceptance June 15.

Congratulations to everyone who's been accepted! I interviewed on 10/10 but declined my offer of admission after getting into UNC, so hopefully that opens up a spot for one of you. :)

Last edited:
That I did!

I just got my invite this morning. November 16th, 3:00PM :cool:

If your tour is at 4:30, then I'll be one of the students showing you around and doing a Q&A.

I think at least one of you here was in my group I was showing around the building because you mentioned SDN. I hope the interview went well, and good luck hearing back from UK.

I think at least one of you here was in my group I was showing around the building because you mentioned SDN. I hope the interview went well, and good luck hearing back from UK.

Yeah, lol, it was me. You gave a good tour :laugh:.

Just got my acceptance email today! Out of stater, from Virginia. Interviewed on Nov. 16.

Now if only I would hear back from UNC, UCSF and Maryland

Just got my acceptance email today! Out of stater, from Virginia. Interviewed on Nov. 16.

Now if only I would hear back from UNC, UCSF and Maryland

Congratulations!

A suggestion for those who got accepted. This summer, while you have time and no classes or pressure, get some volunteer hours. You're required to do 3 each semester, so it's not much even while in class, but you can bank hours from one semester to the next and summer counts. It can slip up on you if you don't keep track. Some people had to scramble to get theirs done before the deadline.

I volunteered as a docent at a historical house this summer and used my hours from that for this semester, and banked 3 hours of Faith Pharmacy volunteer work for next semester so I don't have to worry about getting it done next semester. Your volunteer work doesn't have to be pharmacy related for your first 3 semesters. After that it has to be pharmacy related. So you can get hours doing most anything for now.

Hi Guys,
I got accepted to UK couple of weeks ago. I just payed my deposit as well. I am an out of stater, and UK is probably the most expensive out of state school on my list. It is not my top choice, but I payed the deposit anyway since I haven't heard back from any other school. For any current out of state UK pharmacy students, I would like to know your thoughts on the out of state tuition and if it is worth it. UK is a great school, but it is soo expensive!

Hi Guys,
I got accepted to UK couple of weeks ago. I just payed my deposit as well. I am an out of stater, and UK is probably the most expensive out of state school on my list. It is not my top choice, but I payed the deposit anyway since I haven't heard back from any other school. For any current out of state UK pharmacy students, I would like to know your thoughts on the out of state tuition and if it is worth it. UK is a great school, but it is soo expensive!

I'm not an out of state student, but I will say if you have intentions of trying to do a residency, UK is a great choice for it because it has a really, really high rate of residency placement. UK also has the highest first time pass rate on the NAPLEX. Other than that, I'm sure most pharmacy schools will provide you with the education you need to do what you want.

I'm not an out of state student, but I will say if you have intentions of trying to do a residency, UK is a great choice for it because it has a really, really high rate of residency placement. UK also has the highest first time pass rate on the NAPLEX. Other than that, I'm sure most pharmacy schools will provide you with the education you need to do what you want.
Yes, you are right about the residency thing. I am interested in doing one after pharmacy school. Isn't it true that the chances of getting a residency is much higher if you go to a top school?

Yes, you are right about the residency thing. I am interested in doing one after pharmacy school. Isn't it true that the chances of getting a residency is much higher if you go to a top school?

That's one of the things a top school has over others. Name recognition and networking gets their students into residencies more than others. When talking just community pharmacy or something like that, then any pharmacy school should be sufficient since they all are watched by the ACPE during their candidacy and after accreditation.

Does anyone know when we will be contacted about the February interviews they will be doing?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we will be contacted about the February interviews they will be doing?

This is the email I got from them on Dec. 21, 2011:

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]The below reminders are intended for .[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]college students.[FONT=Arial,sans-serif] who have recently applied to or are in process of applying to pharmacy school...
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]..
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Have you already applied? Are you hoping for an interview during the final round in February? If so, complete the PharmCAS Academic Update Window Before Winter Break..
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]The PharmCAS Academic Update Window opened last week. I encourage you to review the instructions on PharmCAS and submit the necessary information (updated transcript from Registrar’s Office/update final fall grades/input spring courses in PharmCAS account). While the PharmCAS posted deadline is Feb. 15, .[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]I encourage you to request your updated transcript from your Registrar’s Office by this week. .[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Many Registrar Offices will ensure your transcript is sent out even during the holiday break. Ask the Registrar’s Office to mail the transcript to PharmCAS AFTER your fall semester grades have been entered. They will hold the document until all grades are received and mail them before the holiday break. Why is this so important?? The Admissions Committee will review files beginning the middle of January and will send invites for the final round of interviews on February 1. PharmCAS estimates a 4-6 week processing time for Academic Updates. If you submit your transcripts now, the Admissions Committee should receive them barely in time for interview decisions. This is a tight schedule. Keep in mind PharmCAS will close several days for the winter break. Academic Update Window information is available at .[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/fallcourses.htm.[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]...
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif] ..
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Are you still working on your application? If so, submit your PharmCAS application ASAP!..
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]As stated above, during this time of the cycle, PharmCAS anticipates a 4-6 week processing time. If you want to be considered for the final round of interviews (which will be determined mid/late January), you should submit your PharmCAS application NOW! The UK Supplemental Application does not have a processing time and can therefore be submitted in early January. Keep in mind PharmCAS will close several days for the winter break...

Has anyone received an interview invite since the holidays?

UK sends out interview invites 2 weeks before interviews. Interviews are set for Feb. 15 and 16, so it would be around the first of February before you heard anything.

So I've applied to UK. Submitted Pharmcas in January, sent in updated transcripts, completed the supplemental, all that. I forgot to update the grades on Pharmcas manually until yesterday. Which, on a side note, seems quite unnecessary as you're already telling them something they get from the transcripts. Anyways, I put in all the grades yesterday, but UK still has all my other info. I'm a competitive applicant I believe. No degree, but I got a 90 on the PCAT and have only made 1 B in undergrad, coupled with about a year of pharmacy experience. However, I haven't received an email yet about an interview, and was wondering if anyone had received theirs yet. Thanks in advance for reading this monster, and any help you can give.

So I've applied to UK. Submitted Pharmcas in January, sent in updated transcripts, completed the supplemental, all that. I forgot to update the grades on Pharmcas manually until yesterday. Which, on a side note, seems quite unnecessary as you're already telling them something they get from the transcripts. Anyways, I put in all the grades yesterday, but UK still has all my other info. I'm a competitive applicant I believe. No degree, but I got a 90 on the PCAT and have only made 1 B in undergrad, coupled with about a year of pharmacy experience. However, I haven't received an email yet about an interview, and was wondering if anyone had received theirs yet. Thanks in advance for reading this monster, and any help you can give.

I think e-mails should go out this first week of February, next week at the latest. I got mine ten days before my interview. Interviews are supposed to be the 15th and 16th.

I think e-mails should go out this first week of February, next week at the latest. I got mine ten days before my interview. Interviews are supposed to be the 15th and 16th.

They did say that; I got my interview offer for Feb 15 (though I switched to Feb 16) on January 26th though... So maybe they are sending some of them out earlier than others? I don't know.

Anyone else interviewing on Feb 16 at 1:30PM?

Got it earlier today. The admissions director called and asked me if I'd taken fall classes, then just told me to send in a unofficial copy until Pharmcas updated. Few hours later I had the email. They're impossible to get them on the phone, but when they do they're quite helpful lol. Good luck to everyone else. Also mine is on the 15th I believe.

They hired a new person to handle the incoming applicants. They used to have someone else handle that job on top of their other duties, so it was even worse trying to get them on the mail last year. I'll be doing some of the tours and Q&A sessions for applicants. I'll be doing the last group interviewing on the 15th, and the last two groups interviewing on the 16th.

Hey. My interview is scheduled for 1:30 on the 15th. So will you be giving me a tour? Also, how long should I expect the interview process to last?

Hey. My interview is scheduled for 1:30 on the 15th. So will you be giving me a tour? Also, how long should I expect the interview process to last?

Actually, a schedule has been revised and sent out and I'm only doing a tour to the last group on the 16th, so I won't be doing your tour. The entire process ends with your tour and Q&A session, which is an hour and 10 minutes. I believe your 1:30 interview will be the 3:00 tour, so you can expect to be done a little after 4:00.

So at the end of the interview they told us we wouldn't hear anything until March 1. The wait may drive me crazy. I have the grades and a 90 PCAT composite, but I've went to a community college and don't have research experience like some of the other interviewees had, so that makes me nervous. I do have pharmacy experience, but just retail. Anyone want to ease my nerves? lol.

So at the end of the interview they told us we wouldn't hear anything until March 1. The wait may drive me crazy. I have the grades and a 90 PCAT composite, but I've went to a community college and don't have research experience like some of the other interviewees had, so that makes me nervous. I do have pharmacy experience, but just retail. Anyone want to ease my nerves? lol.

So, I'm in the class of 2016. I had 7.5 years of retail experience, the grades and a slightly lower PCAT than you. While I hold a BA (in Music/Spanish) from a great school, I did most of my science/math pre-reqs through the KCTCS system and also have no research experience. I got in Early Decision. Don't let the "community colleges suck" thing go to your head. Clearly, if you can get a 90 on the PCAT, it didn't give you any intellectual disadvantage saving beaucoup dinero at the community college. I was and still am nervous about it, but the Chem professors at Jefferson in Louisville make me feel prepared. You will be too. See you in May at Pre-Professional Day, I hope! :luck::xf:

March 1 isn't that bad if they stick to it. Last year they told us the same thing, but then they pushed it back a couple weeks, then again and it hit into spring break so the school wasn't open...it ended up being March 20 something before we found out. That's when I learned I got put in the hold pool. I found out I got accepted off the hold pool in June, after pre-professional day.

Also, I've found chemistry to be less useful than biochemistry. The problem is I never took biochemistry. I really think that should be part of the prereqs because it would definitely help a lot.

Oh goodness. I really hope they don't make us wait that long, and I hope I find out before pre-professional day. I'd feel like quite an outsider if that were the case. And I really should have done early decision, but was told (wrongly I might add) that I needed to have some Organic before I took the PCAT. Trust me, it didn't help my Chem score. But I've heard from a few people that there are still plenty of spots remaining. Also, would you suggest taking Biochem during the summer?