University of Kentucky EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seebelcherrun

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to put a plug out for a very quickly up and coming program in the great state of Kentucky. Somewhere to consider applying if you're looking for a solid program in a great location.

With names like Matt Dawson (see ultrasound podcast) and Andy Sloas (see PEM ED podcasts) on the peds side as typical attendings, you get exposure to these "famous" names and cutting edge practice.

Chris Doty is the program director and one of the more caring and involved PD's that you'll meet. He has a proven record of success from his time as PD at SUNY downstate/Kings County.

But there are also a multitude of other attendings who are not only nice people but great clinicians.

Lexington is a great city with a fairly low cost of living. And horse racing and/or bourbon is awesome. The patient population is diverse and unique and you see a large volume of patients.

I'm not a student but a resident in a different program at UK who knows the dept very well. If you are looking for a great place to train with great people, consider UK.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did a forum search last month- not much out there in terms of feedback for this program. Can anyone comment?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like some love from Kentucky also! I applied there... still waiting on my second SLOE though so thats why I figured I hadn't heard anything.

Unfortunately I have no control over that. But I can say that they have started rolling out the interview invites so expect to hear something in the near future. Best of luck, ya'll.

Definitely take a drive in the surrounding horse country if you get to make a trip out here.

With interview season approaching, a bump for UKEM. Great program, great staff, great facility and solid residents. One of the most up and coming programs in the nation on the MedEd front. And we just increased our resident complement by 2 residents.

Chris Doty (as PD), Rob Rogers, Matt Dawson, Sam Ghali and a host of other great EM teachers who have won numerous national awards in the last year. In a busy (and beautiful) ED with loads of sick patients makes for great training. And it's a beautiful time in the bluegrass. Changing trees and horses running around green pastures.

Hopefully we'll see you this fall.

Interviewed there last cycle, awesome program and program director. I had a great time around the current residents during dinner and the interview. Overall biggest surprise on the interview trail for me because I knew nothing about it.