University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are cable/internet providers in Louisville? Which do you guys recommend? Anyone know what the monthly cost is for a typical cable and internet combo?

Louisville only has one cable provider in the area, which is Insight. Satellite is available, but my experience has been that Insight is much more reliable and customer friendly. I can't remember the prices for Direct TV, but Insight starts at 35 a month for internet and 30 a month for cable (I might have those mixed up).

Members don't see this ad.

I've lived there my entire life....what do you want to know?

Is it a safe place to live? Are there any apartment complexes you would recommend or suggest I avoid? Are they generally expensive? How's traffic? Are there other areas you would recommend over st Matthews? thanks.

I've included some information about the Highlands, specifically the Bardstown Rd. area, because this is a very popular area of town with many restaurants, stores and parks. It is also a safe place to live with reasonable rent options.

Is it a safe place to live? Yes. (both St. Matthew's and the Highlands)

Are there any apartment complexes you would recommend or suggest I avoid? River Oak is popular as is the complex next to it for the students of the various UL professional schools. There are a lot of places on Bardstown Rd, and that is a good area. But that is considered the Highlands. Although not located in St. Matthew's, I've heard several people suggest that students avoid Phoenix Place as well as the Medical/Dental student housing. I believe the rational behind the aversion to Phoenix Place has to do with safety, while the Medical/Dental Apartments tend to be vacant and depressing.

Are they generally expensive? Personally, I think that the places in St. Matthew's tend to be expensive while those in the highlands tend to be slightly cheaper. But it's a trade off. The St. Matthew's apartments might be a little newer/nicer than the ones in the Highlands. Expect to pay 700-800+ dollars for a studio (after including utilities, cable, internet, etc.) per month. Obviously, the price goes down significantly if you lease a double with a roommate.

How's traffic? St. Matthew's: medium to light. Highlands: heavy to medium. Most people will tell you that you can arrive from your apartment to the medical campus in 10 minutes regardless of whether you live in St. Matthew's or the Highlands, but I'm skeptical of that commute time for the Highlands. Parking can be an issue there. There are a lot of cars/people and not a lot of space.

Are there other areas you would recommend over st Matthews? thanks. For its proximity to the medical school as well as to the rest of the city, coupled with the highly desirable nature of the area itself, no, I would not.

There are a number of options in the downtown area of Louisville. However, these tend to be more expensive and parking is often suspect (although, not in all cases). One option that seems quite suitable is a newly constructed complex that has some minor association with the university, The Province. All utilities as well as internet/cable/furnishing are included in the pricing and studios range from 680-740. These are the best prices I've seen for singles by nearly 100 dollars per month after extra expenses are factored; and, assuming I don't suddenly have the compulsion to room with a complete stranger for my first year of classes, I'll likely attempt to lease one of the studios there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good info - thanks for taking the time to write all that out. It will help with the apt search I'll be doing this weekend.

I've lived in the Highlands for the past year, and I really could not like it more. I too was skeptical about traffic, parking etc, but it really has not been a problem. I can always get downtown within 15 minutes, but it is usually ten or less (and I work downtown). I currently do not have parking at my apartment (which is maybe 20 ft from Bardstown rd), so I park on the street and never have to park far from my house. The only time traffic can be a pain is on weekend nights, but it is avoidable once you figure out the back roads that run parallel to Bardstown. Very easy access to I-64 via Grinstead is nice, as is being walking distance from Cherokee park, many restaurants, and coffee shops. Another plus - the bus runs down Bardstown Rd, turns on Broadway, and then the health sciences campus is a block or 2 walk - and its free with a student ID! To my knowledge, there is no straight shot from St. Matthews on the bus line. My plan for next year is to ride the bus, as I have learned from current students that it is very hard to get a decent parking permit - and you are likely to have to park far away, in an area that is not so safe, and you will still be paying a lot for your pass! I know they have added lots around health sciences, but it seems to me all the new ones are really far from where we will need to be!
As far as cost goes, I only pay $500/month for a studio. There are certainly a lot of overpriced rentals in both areas, but it is definitely possible to find something that is nice and affordable! Craigslist.com and rentalhouses.com tend to be good resources for both areas. Good luck!

is anyone living in the Province Apts.? I have already signed up.

Louisville only has one cable provider in the area, which is Insight. Satellite is available, but my experience has been that Insight is much more reliable and customer friendly. I can't remember the prices for Direct TV, but Insight starts at 35 a month for internet and 30 a month for cable (I might have those mixed up).

Oh cool. I tried googling before but didn't get any pricing. Thanks for the info.

My plan for next year is to ride the bus, as I have learned from current students that it is very hard to get a decent parking permit - and you are likely to have to park far away, in an area that is not so safe, and you will still be paying a lot for your pass! I know they have added lots around health sciences, but it seems to me all the new ones are really far from where we will need to be!

The new parking structure is huge, and there isn't any problem getting a parking spot (it's got 9 levels). However, it's freaking expensive at $360 a year. It's about a 5 minute walk to the B building (where you will have class), or you can take the shuttle. The structure has security and you need your student ID to get access. The walk is pretty safe (a lot more so than when we parked in the old parking lot).

How reliable is the bus system and do we get a discount?

So my wife and I put an application in for a townhouse at River Hill Apartments yesterday. The discount for students was too good to pass up, but I get the feeling there's a catch.... Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
So my wife and I put an application in for a townhouse at River Hill Apartments yesterday. The discount for students was too good to pass up, but I get the feeling there's a catch.... Thoughts?

hard to say. i've talked to several people who live there and the general consensus is that it is pleasant to live there. however, one graduating medical student told me that he is a little concerned that the new management might not be up to snuff. this is the third group to own the complex in the last 4 years, and he told me that this group is displaying similar behaviors as the first group, which he described as wholly inadequate. still, i think it's unlikely that you have any significant problems. and if you do, the lease is only for a year.

hard to say. i've talked to several people who live there and the general consensus is that it is pleasant to live there. however, one graduating medical student told me that he is a little concerned that the new management might not be up to snuff. this is the third group to own the complex in the last 4 years, and he told me that this group is displaying similar behaviors as the first group, which he described as wholly inadequate. still, i think it's unlikely that you have any significant problems. and if you do, the lease is only for a year.

Good point. We did end up checking out some places in St. Matthews. The area is fantastic and I think I would have liked to live there, but with my wife's job situation up in the air, I was uncomfortable paying that much for an apartment. My sister (who also lives in Louisville) took us to other areas of the city like the Highlands and Old Louisville. Overall I think I'm really going to like it there.

On a side note, we had pizza at Imperizelli's (sp?) and it was awesome. I'll definitely be hitting that place up often. Do you know of any good microbreweries in town?

Good point. We did end up checking out some places in St. Matthews. The area is fantastic and I think I would have liked to live there, but with my wife's job situation up in the air, I was uncomfortable paying that much for an apartment. My sister (who also lives in Louisville) took us to other areas of the city like the Highlands and Old Louisville. Overall I think I'm really going to like it there.

On a side note, we had pizza at Imperizelli's (sp?) and it was awesome. I'll definitely be hitting that place up often. Do you know of any good microbreweries in town?

a lot of people like BBC on shelbyville rd. but, if you're into beer, and you don't mind paying a bit extra, there is a place on story ave. (at the end of lower brownsboro rd. called Sergios. it isn't a microbrewery, but they have a selection of something like 1000 beers. of most of which you've never heard. some of which have never been sold in the united states. they have somewhere between 30-50 on tap. now, this place is kind of hard to find. there is no sign, and the windows have various flags covering them. my advice for finding it would be to go to where story ave. starts and walk down to the first block looking for a place with what appears to be a 50's diner-style sign above the store (blocked by trees and not turned on), look at the windows. are there flags? if so, that's the place. it's much more obvious once you walk inside.

I was in Louisville last two weekends ago and I just signed a lease to nice place in the Crescent Hill area. It was tough getting it though since the landlord got quite a few offers and had to up the price. But I couldn't be happier.

Now my problem is that I need a cheap car. I don't drive in Boston and it looks like it might be cheaper getting a nice car here in the East Coast vs. in Louisville (at least judging from Craigslist ads). I'm looking for something under $3500--something to get me back and forth from school.

Any ideas where to look or should I just look for one here (Boston)?

I'm starting to get a little scared :scared:

I was in Louisville last two weekends ago and I just signed a lease to nice place in the Crescent Hill area. It was tough getting it though since the landlord got quite a few offers and had to up the price. But I couldn't be happier.

Now my problem is that I need a cheap car. I don't drive in Boston and it looks like it might be cheaper getting a nice car here in the East Coast vs. in Louisville (at least judging from Craigslist ads). I'm looking for something under $3500--something to get me back and forth from school.

Any ideas where to look or should I just look for one here (Boston)?

I live in the Crescent Hill area, and we really like it. It is centrally located, close to the downtown hospitals and close to the VA.

RED88 I'm starting to get a little scared :scared:

There's nothing to be scared of, trust me.

I live in the Crescent Hill area, and we really like it. It is centrally located, close to the downtown hospitals and close to the VA.

I totally love the area. So pretty and quiet, yet it has some good social outlets. Not as hip as the Highlands but I can easily go there for fun if the need be.

I think I'm gonna find a car here and drive it down to Louisville. It might be less risky.

Last edited:
I will be all alone and moving across the country, its just a lot of change so I guess I am a little nervous/excited to see what it will be like

I see red. I wasn't nervous at all until everyone started telling me how hard it is going to be. After which they say to just keep my head up and work hard and i'll get through it. Nevertheless I'm staying positive.

My wife and I are about to decide where to live. We both really want to live in the St. Matthews area. We really like the Overlook at St. Thomas which is just outside St. Matthews. Its expensive though, 900+ utilities. Her job is pretty solid so we can afford it but I do have a concern. Perhaps someone who has lived in Louisville can shed some light on it. The apartment we really want has gas heat and gas water heater. How much would the gas bill run? I definitely don't want to pay 900/month for the apt and 200 a month gas bill; not to mention other utilities (water, sewage, garbage, tv, internet, etc). What should expect especially in the winter for the gas bill?

My wife and I are about to decide where to live. We both really want to live in the St. Matthews area. We really like the Overlook at St. Thomas which is just outside St. Matthews. Its expensive though, 900+ utilities. Her job is pretty solid so we can afford it but I do have a concern. Perhaps someone who has lived in Louisville can shed some light on it. The apartment we really want has gas heat and gas water heater. How much would the gas bill run? I definitely don't want to pay 900/month for the apt and 200 a month gas bill; not to mention other utilities (water, sewage, garbage, tv, internet, etc). What should expect especially in the winter for the gas bill?

That can depend on a lot of things, including the age of the building, how it was designed, size, etc. Your best bet would be to ask the rental agent at the complex. My experience has been that they typically have a pretty good idea of what to tell potential clients to budget for utilities.

Last edited:

Another great pizza place (in my opinion) is Wick's. http://www.wickspizza.com They have multiple locations around town, including one in the Highlands on Bardstown Road less than a mile from Impellizzeri's.

As for microbreweries, don't forget Cumberland Brews! (also on Bardstown Road) http://www.cumberlandbrewery.com/ And if you don't mind a little drive, try out New Albanian - right across the river in New Albany, Indiana. http://www.newalbanian.com

The apartment we really want has gas heat and gas water heater. How much would the gas bill run? I definitely don't want to pay 900/month for the apt and 200 a month gas bill; not to mention other utilities (water, sewage, garbage, tv, internet, etc). What should expect especially in the winter for the gas bill?

My fiance and I have an older house with gas heat and water, electric air. Our total gas+electric in the summer is $100, winter is $180-$190. Factor in our hot tub, elaborate computer/video game setup that is powered on all the time, upstairs attic, and that we're not surrounded by other units...I would bet yours will be much lower than that.

If you haven't settled on a place already, I suggest Jamestown of St. Matthews. I lived in a townhome there and was pleased with the location, condition, and amenities of the complex. At last check, most of their apartments and townhomes were under $900.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help. My wife and I toured Jamestown at St. Matthews and I'm 99% sure the lady giving the tour was drunk. She wreaked of whiskey and cigarettes and kept saying the same slurred statements over and over. However, the townhome we toured was pretty nice. We are going to make a trip back to Louisville possibly next week to tour our favorite places once more then sign a lease on one of them.

I'm planning on moving up in July. When will everyone else be moving to Louisville?

Last edited:
I'll technically be in Louisville in July for the pre-matriculation program, but I won't be moving into the townhouse until the first week of August. Anyone else going to be in that program?

Who is attending housing day?

Also, to make sure the previous post doesn't get lost---I will not be in the pre-matric program. But, who else is going?

I'll technically be in Louisville in July for the pre-matriculation program, but I won't be moving into the townhouse until the first week of August. Anyone else going to be in that program?

I am but I will be moving into my new place by July. Why are you moving in August?

I am in the program.

I am but I will be moving into my new place by July. Why are you moving in August?

The tenants who live in the apt we want aren't moving until July 31st. There is an apt available right now but that's just too soon to move.

Does anyone know of any international opportunities that are offered to us?

There are usually at least two trips during the summer between your first and second year. One is to Ecuador and the other Honduras. I didn't do either of them, but the people who did got to do a TON of stuff. They delivered a lot of babies and such.

thank you. I am really interested in doing something abroad in Med school because i was not able to during undergrad.

thank you. I am really interested in doing something abroad in Med school because i was not able to during undergrad.

No problem, there is an application process. I'm not really sure how it works, but I know that not everyone who wants to go gets too.

BTW, if anyone out there is looking to buy property in Louisville, there is a condo for sale in my complex. It's two bedroom, two bath, washer/dryer, ect. It's a gated community with a pool. They usually sell for around $105. It's about a 5 minutes drive to campus and 1 minute to the VA. If you are interested let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

There are usually at least two trips during the summer between your first and second year. One is to Ecuador and the other Honduras. I didn't do either of them, but the people who did got to do a TON of stuff. They delivered a lot of babies and such.

Do you know of any trips to Mexico?

Also, where can I go for authentic Mexican food?

Last edited:

This year they also traveled to Kenya. It's the first year of the program, and I think they're still over there, so I'm sure we'll hear a ton about it in the fall.

If you went to pre-orientation, you heard from the student who organized Kenya. She discussed how she wanted to go to Africa, but no one had a trip planned, so she took the initiative and put one together. She made it seem like the school is willing to assist you in putting a trip together if the one you want doesn't exist. So I guess if you want to go to Mexico, start researching!

Can any of you talk about how financial aid works?

I sent in a FAFSA. I'm kind of at a loss for what happens next. Do you usually get the full amount from the initial disbursment? Do students usually take out other loans--private/grad plus?

If you are in the rural tract pm me, please.

Can any of you talk about how financial aid works?

I sent in a FAFSA. I'm kind of at a loss for what happens next. Do you usually get the full amount from the initial disbursment? Do students usually take out other loans--private/grad plus?

I think it's half and half--you get the first 1/2 in August and the 2nd 1/2 in January after the winter break. Perhaps actual med students can chime in on this more.

I think it's half and half--you get the first 1/2 in August and the 2nd 1/2 in January after the winter break. Perhaps actual med students can chime in on this more.

You are correct. You get half one semester and the other half the next semester.

In keeping with the financial theme, when will we receive our financial packet.

You are correct. You get half one semester and the other half the next semester.

I should have posed the question more clearly.

What's the process for obtaining the $$

In undergrad, I filled out the FAFSA, and poof there was enough $$$. Is it the same now? Will I receive enough $$$ on one loan, Or are students normally taking out extra loans? Where are they taking them out from?

I should have posed the question more clearly.

What's the process for obtaining the $$

In undergrad, I filled out the FAFSA, and poof there was enough $$$. Is it the same now? Will I receive enough $$$ on one loan, Or are students normally taking out extra loans? Where are they taking them out from?

Most people will qualify for both the subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans. The limit on the subsidized loan is $8,500 a year, and I'm not really sure what the limit is on the unsubsidized. The cost of attendance is around $43,000 for in-state, I think it's higher for out of state but I'm not sure of the exact number. You will get enough loan offers to reach the $43,000. You can accept as much of the money as you want up to $43K. $25K or so will go to tuition, and the rest is yours to spend on beer and hot dogs as you wish. Your residual money will be split between the two semesters.

That's about the extent to which I know about the process. Since my wife has a good job, I only have to take out enough for tuition. :thumbup:

Most people will qualify for both the subsidized and unsubsidized federal loans. The limit on the subsidized loan is $8,500 a year, and I'm not really sure what the limit is on the unsubsidized. The cost of attendance is around $43,000 for in-state, I think it's higher for out of state but I'm not sure of the exact number. You will get enough loan offers to reach the $43,000. You can accept as much of the money as you want up to $43K. $25K or so will go to tuition, and the rest is yours to spend on beer and hot dogs as you wish. Your residual money will be split between the two semesters.

That's about the extent to which I know about the process. Since my wife has a good job, I only have to take out enough for tuition. :thumbup:

lol that's cool. Thanks lildave. I've been nervous about it. I just didn't know if I needed to be doing anything extra or looking at applying for loans now. That helps a ton.

I got an e-mail today saying my Financial Aid file was incomplete. I had to go do entrance counseling.

Just a heads up in case you haven't been checking e-mail.

I got that too. You have to do a entrance counseling. I think everyone has to do it now. I had seen some emails sent out at my undergrad about it, but I ignored them b/c I was graduating. You have to go to a website read some stuff and take an easy quiz and your done.

I also got an email around 5pm saying my fin aid packet was available. You can check it out using directions in that email.

*Disclaimer*: I'm not planning on buying books early to read this summer. I know how opinionated people are about doing nothing the summer before med school and I agree. I'm chilling as much as possible. I just have some free time and would like read some of the book reviews.

I seen on the student website that there is a book review page, but I can't seem to find it. Do any of you guys/gals know where I might find it or a similar one by/for UofL students?