University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the heads up guys. I was able to complete the electronic entrance counseling and signed the master promissory note. I think that's all they wanted.

It's nice you get to view your award online instead waiting for it in the mail. Now I have to come up with a budget...

Members don't see this ad.

White Coat Questions: May sound silly lol

For professional name badge, do most people just do first/last or is middle initial thrown in there.

Also, for coat length--I haven't really paid a ton of attention to doctor coats in my day. Is regular/long more common? Does one look more professional?

I had first, middle initial and middle name put on mine. As for coat length I just put my normal sport coat length. If it doesn't fit how you want you can always order another one (or more) later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just joined and don't know if anyone has suggested this yet, but it might be cool for those of us who already live in Louisville to get together some night for drinks. Anyone interested?

How is class attendance?

How long does the medical mission trips last?

White Coat Questions: May sound silly lol

For professional name badge, do most people just do first/last or is middle initial thrown in there.

Also, for coat length--I haven't really paid a ton of attention to doctor coats in my day. Is regular/long more common? Does one look more professional?

I believe a short length is mandated. I don't recall reading an official statement, but I have never seen a med student wearing a long coat, and I suspect you'd be in for quite an earful if an attending or any variety of professors saw it.

How is class attendance?

Starts out packed, dwindles as the year goes on.

How long does the medical mission trips last?

Equador was a week, Honduras was a month. Not sure on anything else.

Also, apparently the Path class got a new course co-director - Dr. Holthouser. I believe lildave was our course liason for that class (if he is who I think it is), and he worked hard for our class, but Path was a poor enough course that it was kind of like polishing brass on the Titanic (in my opinion). I hated path with a passion. That said, Holthouser is an outstanding resource and should have a very positive impact on the course - you guys are very fortunate.

Also, apparently the Path class got a new course co-director - Dr. Holthouser. I believe lildave was our course liason for that class (if he is who I think it is), and he worked hard for our class, but Path was a poor enough course that it was kind of like polishing brass on the Titanic (in my opinion). I hated path with a passion. That said, Holthouser is an outstanding resource and should have a very positive impact on the course - you guys are very fortunate.

Astrocreep is correct. Things will be very different for you guys than it was for us. I've seen some of the stuff she has in store for you guys, and let me say I think the Path course at UofL will rival any other in the country. Dr. H is an amazing asset to this university, which is something you guys will come to learn very quickly. These are second year things you shouldn't worry about now, you've got to get past gross anatomy first!! There are also some very positive things that are being worked on in other courses, and you guys will be the first affected.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!! It goes by fast.

has anyone heard anything about financial aid/loans yet???

has anyone heard anything about financial aid/loans yet???

Yeah, I have. I know that at least several of us have already gotten our financial aid package and accepted our loans. Have you filled out all of your FAFSA forms yet? Also, make sure you check your groupwise account on ulink. There are some additional forms that you have to fill out before you can accept your loans.

yikes! that makes me nervous. they asked me for additional info around late march/early april and i sent it in right away. and i check both accounts daily (i work for u of l, so its my primary account). maybe i need to email someone...

has anyone gotten any solid info on the pre-matriculation program yet?

yikes! that makes me nervous. they asked me for additional info around late march/early april and i sent it in right away. and i check both accounts daily (i work for u of l, so its my primary account). maybe i need to email someone...

You should call them. I call them daily and it really helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone gotten any solid info on the pre-matriculation program yet?

I emailed Ms. Holt and she said something should be mailed to us soon.

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a roommate to join a rising 3rd year and I in looking for a place in the Highlands area or downtown (Old Louisville, etc). We're open to other areas, too, but these are our top preferences. If you're interested hit me back with an email to [email protected]. You can also look me up on the facebook group "University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2014".

Cheers!

anyone else ready to go to school?

How much will we spend on books and supplies?

I know there is a number listed on the cost of attendance but in reality i dont think everyone buys every book and I would like to no a more "real" amount students spend.

Thanks in advance for any replies

has anyone heard anything about the pre matriculation program?

has anyone heard anything about the pre matriculation program?

Not a thing...Kind of worrying considering we have less than two weeks to go at this point. Didn't you talk to Ms. Holt recently? Did she say we'd have some info by now?

How much will we spend on books and supplies?

I know there is a number listed on the cost of attendance but in reality i dont think everyone buys every book and I would like to no a more "real" amount students spend.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a minute and give you guys some tips. I'm pretty bored right now, we start third year next week so I'm just sitting around waiting for that. Take all advice you hear with a grain of salt!

M1 fall semester you spend a lot of money. You have to buy a stethoscope (you don't HAVE to, but it's stupid not too, you'll need it for ICM). You will also want to buy the gross notes. For those that don't know about the "gross notes" yet, let me fill you in.

A long time ago, a class decided to write their own notes for gross anatomy and sell them to the class below. They passed the notes down to that class who was charged with updating/editing them, and then that class sold them to the kids behind them. This has gone on for who knows how many years. Only 10 people in my class did not buy the gross notes. I used them, and they are sufficient by themselves to honor the class (I did). My class sold the gross notes to 2013 for around $120 a student. I'm not sure how much 2013 will be charging you. I would buy them, they are good. Really good.

So the big ticket items for first semester are:
stethoscope
gross notes
Netters (a must have, seriously). Buy two copies, one for at home study and one to use in the lab, which should be an old edition bought off ebay (split cost with your lab group)
dissection kit (just buy two, and split the cost with your lab group)

You'll get a letter from the class of 2013 trying to sell you stuff. Please know that SCRUBS ARE NOT A REQUIREMENT IN THE GROSS LAB. I wore some nasty scrub pants I had from my previous job in the OR, a tee shirt, and a hat in the gross lab. Everyone else wore scrubs that they spent way too much on. Out of all the stuff that 2013 tries to sell you, the only one that is a MUST have is the gross notes.

A little more advice. Don't buy new books. Just don't do it. It's a waste, seriously. The textbook that Dr. Nettleton recommends for anatomy is nice, but it's certainly not for everyone and I honored the class without it. Now, some of you may be textbook readers; that's great, by all means read the textbook, but buy an old edition online. Anatomy, histology, embryology, and neuroanatomy (your first semester classes) have not changed in thousands of years!! New edition textbooks are no better than the previous edition for these classes, trust me.

For those who have never taken histology: The Ross textbook has great pictures, and it might be worth getting if you are new to the study of histology. The text is more than you will need, but the pictures and atlas are gold. You can easily buy an old edition online for cheap.

I did not use a textbook for neuroanatomy, and to be honest, I don't know of anyone in my class that did. The notes read like a textbook and are very thorough. They are all you need to study for the tests. I don't even think the faculty recommend a text.

Embryology is a tough course, not because the material is hard, but because of where it is placed in the semester. It's actually the easiest material (in my opinion) in the first year, but more people fail this class than any other because they don't put enough time into it. I think my class had 6-8 failures. I used Moore and Persuad's textbook for this class. Many people used Langman. Old editions are fine.

The first semester of medical school is all about one thing: learning how to study efficiently. You've never been presented with this much material before. It's not hard material, it's just a lot of it. My undergrad histology class at WKU was a lot harder than the one here at U of L. The difference is at WKU, we used an entire semester and in medical school, you'll do the same amount of material in 9 weeks.

So what about honoring classes? I'm going to tell you a secret, no one cares that you honored gross anatomy. Residency program directors are not impressed by the fact that you honored every basic science class. So you were able to memorize useless drivel and recall it on a test, big deal! What do they care about? Your Step I score.

It's all about that three digit number. So if your basic science class grades don't matter, why not spend your time on beer and introitous? Undoubtedly many in your class will spend time on these two things, but let me submit to you that the more you learn in the first two years of med school, the higher your Step I score. So even though I said that honoring classes doesn't matter, go ahead and push yourself to honor everything you can. When it comes time for those magical 6 weeks when you will studying 12 hours a day for Step I, your life will be so, so, so much easier. Trust me on this. Everything you do from day one of med school is about Step I. So when it's next March and you are studying for your cumulative Neuro final, and you know that you have to make a 15% on the test to pass, study for an 85% anyway, because you'll need to know everything you can for Step I. It's all about Step I!!!

Not a thing...Kind of worrying considering we have less than two weeks to go at this point. Didn't you talk to Ms. Holt recently? Did she say we'd have some info by now?

Yea i did. I think i am going to email her again. She said we should be getting something in the mail. i know that her office runs three different summer programs so maybe they got busy.

I'm going to get up on my soapbox for a minute and give you guys some tips. I'm pretty bored right now, we start third year next week so I'm just sitting around waiting for that. Take all advice you hear with a grain of salt!

M1 fall semester you spend a lot of money. You have to buy a stethoscope (you don't HAVE to, but it's stupid not too, you'll need it for ICM). You will also want to buy the gross notes. For those that don't know about the "gross notes" yet, let me fill you in.

A long time ago, a class decided to write their own notes for gross anatomy and sell them to the class below. They passed the notes down to that class who was charged with updating/editing them, and then that class sold them to the kids behind them. This has gone on for who knows how many years. Only 10 people in my class did not buy the gross notes. I used them, and they are sufficient by themselves to honor the class (I did). My class sold the gross notes to 2013 for around $120 a student. I'm not sure how much 2013 will be charging you. I would buy them, they are good. Really good.

So the big ticket items for first semester are:
stethoscope
gross notes
Netters (a must have, seriously). Buy two copies, one for at home study and one to use in the lab, which should be an old edition bought off ebay (split cost with your lab group)
dissection kit (just buy two, and split the cost with your lab group)

You'll get a letter from the class of 2013 trying to sell you stuff. Please know that SCRUBS ARE NOT A REQUIREMENT IN THE GROSS LAB. I wore some nasty scrub pants I had from my previous job in the OR, a tee shirt, and a hat in the gross lab. Everyone else wore scrubs that they spent way too much on. Out of all the stuff that 2013 tries to sell you, the only one that is a MUST have is the gross notes.

A little more advice. Don't buy new books. Just don't do it. It's a waste, seriously. The textbook that Dr. Nettleton recommends for anatomy is nice, but it's certainly not for everyone and I honored the class without it. Now, some of you may be textbook readers; that's great, by all means read the textbook, but buy an old edition online. Anatomy, histology, embryology, and neuroanatomy (your first semester classes) have not changed in thousands of years!! New edition textbooks are no better than the previous edition for these classes, trust me.

For those who have never taken histology: The Ross textbook has great pictures, and it might be worth getting if you are new to the study of histology. The text is more than you will need, but the pictures and atlas are gold. You can easily buy an old edition online for cheap.

I did not use a textbook for neuroanatomy, and to be honest, I don't know of anyone in my class that did. The notes read like a textbook and are very thorough. They are all you need to study for the tests. I don't even think the faculty recommend a text.

Embryology is a tough course, not because the material is hard, but because of where it is placed in the semester. It's actually the easiest material (in my opinion) in the first year, but more people fail this class than any other because they don't put enough time into it. I think my class had 6-8 failures. I used Moore and Persuad's textbook for this class. Many people used Langman. Old editions are fine.

The first semester of medical school is all about one thing: learning how to study efficiently. You've never been presented with this much material before. It's not hard material, it's just a lot of it. My undergrad histology class at WKU was a lot harder than the one here at U of L. The difference is at WKU, we used an entire semester and in medical school, you'll do the same amount of material in 9 weeks.

So what about honoring classes? I'm going to tell you a secret, no one cares that you honored gross anatomy. Residency program directors are not impressed by the fact that you honored every basic science class. So you were able to memorize useless drivel and recall it on a test, big deal! What do they care about? Your Step I score.

It's all about that three digit number. So if your basic science class grades don't matter, why not spend your time on beer and introitous? Undoubtedly many in your class will spend time on these two things, but let me submit to you that the more you learn in the first two years of med school, the higher your Step I score. So even though I said that honoring classes doesn't matter, go ahead and push yourself to honor everything you can. When it comes time for those magical 6 weeks when you will studying 12 hours a day for Step I, your life will be so, so, so much easier. Trust me on this. Everything you do from day one of med school is about Step I. So when it's next March and you are studying for your cumulative Neuro final, and you know that you have to make a 15% on the test to pass, study for an 85% anyway, because you'll need to know everything you can for Step I. It's all about Step I!!!

Thanks. Great response. I just didnt want to waste money, Im trying to budget as much as possible.

Thanks. Great response. I just didnt want to waste money, Im trying to budget as much as possible.
No problem, let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.

One thing I did forget to mention was the parking permit. Freakin thing is going to cost $361. I'm going to park on the streets this year, but that's partly because I'll be getting downtown around 5:00 every morning for pre-rounding and there will be plenty of spaces. The street spaces around the garage start to fill up around 7:45ish.

No problem, let me know if you guys have any questions or comments.

One thing I did forget to mention was the parking permit. Freakin thing is going to cost $361. I'm going to park on the streets this year, but that's partly because I'll be getting downtown around 5:00 every morning for pre-rounding and there will be plenty of spaces. The street spaces around the garage start to fill up around 7:45ish.

:laugh: That's how much I pay per month in Boston.

Thank you for the informative post earlier. Really good stuff!

Called Ms. Holt earlier today. She said she had the packages to be mailed out sitting on her desk. She said to expect them on Friday or early next week.. smh.. it is what it is... Hope this helps

thank you. i guess that is nice to know.

Check your mail! I just got a packet today that details what we'll be doing in the pre-matriculation program.

Check your mail! I just got a packet today that details what we'll be doing in the pre-matriculation program.

what does it say? I have not been home to get my mail.

what does it say? I have not been home to get my mail.

The packet consists of a schedule and a letter talking about parking. First day is orientation type stuff for most of the day, although we do have Gross Anatomy and Neuro from 1-2:20. From the looks of the schedule we'll be busy everyday from 8:30-4:30 w/ an hour break for lunch. The letter says that we'll have free parking from July 12-16, although we can only park in green parking areas (a temporary permit is included).

First day we report to the Abell Administration Center, room 110, at 9 am.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many students are gonna be in this program?

Also, how many total students will there be in our class?

Does anyone know how many students are gonna be in this program?

Also, how many total students will there be in our class?

I remember the acceptance letter stating that 25 students will be enrolled in the prematriculation program.

I think Class of 2014 will be 160 students.

The packet consists of a schedule and a letter talking about parking. First day is orientation type stuff for most of the day, although we do have Gross Anatomy and Neuro from 1-2:20. From the looks of the schedule we'll be busy everyday from 8:30-4:30 w/ an hour break for lunch. The letter says that we'll have free parking from July 12-16, although we can only park in green parking areas (a temporary permit is included).

First day we report to the Abell Administration Center, room 110, at 9 am.

I haven't received my packet yet. Good to know!

We don't receive any sort of grades for the pre-matric program, do we?

how do most people study for gross anatomy? this is the one class that truly scares me

About 2 weeks before exam time, I would work with a friend and start spending extra hours in the anatomy lab, quizzing one another on stuff. We'd do sort of mini-praticals, look things up in netter's or COA, etc. Extra time in the lab, and extra time at home studying. I found COA helpful, but I appreciate having something to read instead of just looking at pictures. Also, you'll get a CD with Gross Notes that should have old exams on it - you can sort of gauge question types based off of that.

how do most people study for gross anatomy? this is the one class that truly scares me

Yeah, the gross notes CD has loads of old gross tests on it. After you've read through the material a couple times I'd work through the all the old exams. You'll understand it better once you see the exams, but it's invaluable to answer questions in the format they'll be asked of you.

Heads up:

Once you receive the MUSH manual in the mail, check pages 8-9 under health insurance. It sounds like they include the university insurance I. Tuition and automatically sign you up for it.

If you have insurance through another means, there are instructions in the book to provide proof of insurance and not be signed up/charged.

Heads up:

Once you receive the MUSH manual in the mail, check pages 8-9 under health insurance. It sounds like they include the university insurance I. Tuition and automatically sign you up for it.

If you have insurance through another means, there are instructions in the book to provide proof of insurance and not be signed up/charged.

Yeah, it's an opt-out program, but the policy isn't bad. Granted I haven't really had to use it extensively, but it covers what you should need.

Has anyone been able to locate the correct Unit Lab assignments that Mr. Simms mentioned in the last email he sent us? I went to the medical student affairs site, but was unable to find the unit lab tab that he mentioned. Let me know if you have any insight.

Thanks,
time md

Has anyone been able to locate the correct Unit Lab assignments that Mr. Simms mentioned in the last email he sent us? I went to the medical student affairs site, but was unable to find the unit lab tab that he mentioned. Let me know if you have any insight.

Thanks,
time md

On blackboard

Make sure you're on "My U of L" tab.

Under "My Organizations" you'll see Medican Student Affairs

Click that.

Once the page loads, it'll be the 3rd from the top on the left of the page.

Courses up on Blackboard, starting to feel a lot more real!

Good luck tomorrow everyone! First year goes by way faster than you'd think!

Good luck tomorrow everyone! First year goes by way faster than you'd think!

It did indeed go by very fast. Seems like it was just yesterday that I was cutting into a cadaver for the first time....