University of Malta, Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

I have recently called the admissions since I have submitted my application since early November. Anyway, I have been informed that ALL the candidates applying for medicine will be required to sit 4 examinations early september prior admission to the medical course! If you want to double check you can call the admissions yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

re: Statistics

Does anyone know the total number of applicants (EU? and Non-EU?) for Medicine and Surgery M.D. this year?

The admissions person said that the majority of applicants will find out about whether their application was successful in March, and if u are, you will be given a interview date which will be around June.

Hi

Is there anyone who has received response on their application yet? It is the end of March now. I have tried to call the international office a couple of times but no one picked up.

Hi everyone,

I have recently called the admissions since I have submitted my application since early November. Anyway, I have been informed that ALL the candidates applying for medicine will be required to sit 4 examinations early september prior admission to the medical course! If you want to double check you can call the admissions yourselves.

What kind of exams? Medical knowledge?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Is there anyone who has received response on their application yet? It is the end of March now. I have tried to call the international office a couple of times but no one picked up.

What kind of exams? Medical knowledge?

Saq it will be extremely unlikely to be medically orientated. Unfortunately the admission person has not been that informed. However, I suspect the exams will consist a-level standards examinations of biology, chemistry, physics. Now the 4th exam I am clueless, maybe it will involve suitability for the medical profession.

Yet to hear from them.

hey.......just signed up.... i called the medical school and spoke to the registrar.....basically nobody has heard as yet as they still have to go through all the applications. They said that there is no upper limit on places and that if your qualified enough your in, but they did say that if your qualifications arent comparable to what they want they will make you do this test....so its not everyone that has it. And the test is basically a bio/chem/pre-med test....the lady was very helpful on the phone....just thought id share this with everyone who is waiting to hear...but they are still to go through all the applications on an individual basis, so the waiting game is still in play! hope this helps!

hey.......just signed up.... i called the medical school and spoke to the registrar.....basically nobody has heard as yet as they still have to go through all the applications. They said that there is no upper limit on places and that if your qualified enough your in, but they did say that if your qualifications arent comparable to what they want they will make you do this test....so its not everyone that has it. And the test is basically a bio/chem/pre-med test....the lady was very helpful on the phone....just thought id share this with everyone who is waiting to hear...but they are still to go through all the applications on an individual basis, so the waiting game is still in play! hope this helps!

Can you please let me know the name of that registrar? I am gonna make FORMAL COMPLAINT since I was given the WRONG INFORMATION. I strongly believe what you are saying is absolutely rubbish? Why?
For a start the applications are open until mid July!! All of us then HAVE to wait until then to hear from the uni? thats just ABSURD! Mr Hazzuri (Admissions for Internationals) HIMSELF informed me that ALL APPLICANTS will be required to sit the exams!!! :mad: I was only been given these information for the fact that I complained about the wait.

Can you please let me know the name of that registrar? I am gonna make FORMAL COMPLAINT since I was given the WRONG INFORMATION. I strongly believe what you are saying is absolutely rubbish? Why?
For a start the applications are open until mid July!! All of us then HAVE to wait until then to hear from the uni? thats just ABSURD! Mr Hazzuri (Admissions for Internationals) HIMSELF informed me that ALL APPLICANTS will be required to sit the exams!!! :mad: I was only been given these information for the fact that I complained about the wait.

Whooaa....chill out mate.....firstly, get your facts straight, the deadline for Medicine and Dentistry was February 14th for ALL applications, and no late applications are accepted from anywhere! that is a FACT, its on the admissions website.

Secondly, i don't know whether you know how universities work, but they generally have meetings for programmes with a board where they assess your application on its merits, and therefore make a decision as to whether it is suitable, therefore they wait for all of them. And yes, I have time to waste and hence make up conversations...i think your slightly deluded....anyway, believe what you want to believe, or even better CALL UP the correct department and not someone who isn't in the department..... I raised this issue with her saying that I was told we all had to sit it, and she said that it depends on your qualifications....with three degrees under my belt.... BSc (1st Class), MSc (Distinction) and a PhD which I shall be completing at the end of this month I don't have to do it....and why i hear you ask? Because my degrees were full of subjects such as anatomy/physiology/biochemistry/pharmacology/molecular medicine....

And formal complaint.....are you being serious, the man is just telling you the general protocol...once they assess your qualifications they then decide, there is no point in making someone who is already suitably qualified to do the exam is there? Because someone with dual/tri degrees is really gonna fail a medical admissions exam.....

SO in summary, chill out mate..... dont cry :p

Whooaa....chill out mate.....firstly, get your facts straight, the deadline for Medicine and Dentistry was February 14th for ALL applications, and no late applications are accepted from anywhere! that is a FACT, its on the admissions website.

Secondly, i don't know whether you know how universities work, but they generally have meetings for programmes with a board where they assess your application on its merits, and therefore make a decision as to whether it is suitable, therefore they wait for all of them. And yes, I have time to waste and hence make up conversations...i think your slightly deluded....anyway, believe what you want to believe, or even better CALL UP the correct department and not someone who isn't in the department..... I raised this issue with her saying that I was told we all had to sit it, and she said that it depends on your qualifications....with three degrees under my belt.... BSc (1st Class), MSc (Distinction) and a PhD which I shall be completing at the end of this month I don't have to do it....and why i hear you ask? Because my degrees were full of subjects such as anatomy/physiology/biochemistry/pharmacology/molecular medicine....

And formal complaint.....are you being serious, the man is just telling you the general protocol...once they assess your qualifications they then decide, there is no point in making someone who is already suitably qualified to do the exam is there? Because someone with dual/tri degrees is really gonna fail a medical admissions exam.....

SO in summary, chill out mate..... dont cry :p

I know exactly how universities work. I have been student representative for 3 consecutive years mate. Worked with the dean of the school on numerous occasions for various things including admissions of new students. Admissions are responsible to provide the RIGHT information to any applicants. Prior providing these info they always tend to speak to the dean of the school and the course director and THEN give out these information. It is unacceptable to provide false information.

I have been personally sent an email (unfortunately deleted it) as I presume the rest of the applicants for medicine that the application for medicine has been extended until July. Can you explain this to me? I am telling you what I have been told. Maybe I am taking it on you but I dont like to be given the wrong information.

Btw you might be good academically but you completely forget that medicine requires clinical skills. As part of my job I have been shadowed by uk medical students and their clinical skills were shocking. A good doctor has to be a bloody good clinician first. Hope you all the best.

has anyone heard anything yet?? its taking forever....i need to know ASAP as i have a few job offers on the cards and dont want to turn them down until i know......

I'm a Canadian from Quebec and interested in studying medicine at the University of Malta. I've recently learned that it's an English-speaking university so I thought I'd add it to my list.

Can somebody give me an overview of the medical education system in Malta?

I've read up on the course structure on their website but what comes after graduation? I can't seem to find any information about that on the University of Malta's website. Can I enter into Canadian Resident Matching Service during my 5th year?

has anyone heard anything yet?? its taking forever....i need to know ASAP as i have a few job offers on the cards and dont want to turn them down until i know......

Nothing yet. Still waiting. Good luck.

Hi Guys,

I'm a 21 year old British student...i will graduate with a BSc degree in Biomedical Sciences...and wishing to apply for 5 years Medicine and Surgery at University of Malta to start Oct 2011.

Didn't get replies from admissions to my emails and hence asking here...could anyone help me with the following please:

1.) Deadlines- on their website, it says deadline was February 2011 but when I rang them, they said its 22nd July 2011. which is right?

2.) Do they require any entrance tests - like UKCAT, MCAT or any university entrance test?

3.) Entry requirements for this course - I have higher second class (2.1) bachelors degree and A-levels as below...would that be ok? whats the minimim they need...eg UK uni require like a minimum of 2.1 and for alevels its normally AAB...whats theirs?

Also, below are my attributes...do you think they'll accept me?

School Leaving Certificate (equivalent to GCSEs) - 77%
A-Levels - Maths(B), Biology (C), Chemistry (C), AS-Level Physics (C)
BSc(Hons) Biomedical Sciences - predicted 2.1 degree
IELTS - 7.5 overall
UKCAT Score - 647.5
Work experience/Activities:
- Work shadowing doctors in a Hospital
- Working as a Support Worker supporting people with learning disabilities
for the last
3 years
- Volunteered in a charity shop every
saturday
- Volunteered as a Course Representative at University
- University Ambassador in the Rugby Carnegie Challenge Cup at Wembley
Stadium in London
- University Representative for Oxford University Press for Biosciences

Would be massively grateful if anyone could advise me please. Thanks a lot.

Hi,

1.I think the deadline is on July 22nd.

2. Regarding entrance tests ,I guess the university might be conducting their own or may be not.

3. Your qualifications looks promising.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Hi Guys,

I'm a 21 year old British student...i will graduate with a BSc degree in Biomedical Sciences...and wishing to apply for 5 years Medicine and Surgery at University of Malta to start Oct 2011.

Didn't get replies from admissions to my emails and hence asking here...could anyone help me with the following please:

1.) Deadlines- on their website, it says deadline was February 2011 but when I rang them, they said its 22nd July 2011. which is right?

2.) Do they require any entrance tests - like UKCAT, MCAT or any university entrance test?

3.) Entry requirements for this course - I have higher second class (2.1) bachelors degree and A-levels as below...would that be ok? whats the minimim they need...eg UK uni require like a minimum of 2.1 and for alevels its normally AAB...whats theirs?

Also, below are my attributes...do you think they'll accept me?

School Leaving Certificate (equivalent to GCSEs) - 77%
A-Levels - Maths(B), Biology (C), Chemistry (C), AS-Level Physics (C)
BSc(Hons) Biomedical Sciences - predicted 2.1 degree
IELTS - 7.5 overall
UKCAT Score - 647.5
Work experience/Activities:
- Work shadowing doctors in a Hospital
- Working as a Support Worker supporting people with learning disabilities
for the last
3 years
- Volunteered in a charity shop every
saturday
- Volunteered as a Course Representative at University
- University Ambassador in the Rugby Carnegie Challenge Cup at Wembley
Stadium in London
- University Representative for Oxford University Press for Biosciences

Would be massively grateful if anyone could advise me please. Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
i swear the minimum is B's in the core sciences and at least a C at AS level......when i called a few months ago the lady was very adamant that you needed a B in Biology and Chemistry......and regarding degree classification, you need a 2nd class honours minimum, whether that be a 2i or a 2ii as long as u have honours the lady said it was fine, but they do scrutinise ur transcript and compare it to the course which they would run there to see whether its comparable......apparently u only need a pass MSc and thats suffice, but the minimum to get onto a MSc is a 2ii which they also said they accept......this whole application process is so confusing, especially with the extended deadlines....lets just hope we hear soon......

Does anybody else find that the University of Malta's office is very unhelpful?

Every time I've phoned (which is getting up to about 5 attempts, spaced out over different days and times) the international office there is no answer. Does anybody know the office hours there?

I know they're 6 hours ahead of me, but I've tried to phone between 9am - 3pm Malta time to no avail.

Does anybody else find that the University of Malta's office is very unhelpful?

Every time I've phoned (which is getting up to about 5 attempts, spaced out over different days and times) the international office there is no answer. Does anybody know the office hours there?

I know they're 6 hours ahead of me, but I've tried to phone between 9am - 3pm Malta time to no avail.

I've actually found them quite easy to get hold of, the information which they give me at times is somewhat useless!! but they are always available to talk to!! make sure u have got the correct phone number....

so in other words its 2nd class honours which is important not whether u get 2i or 2ii ?
so when u called they did not specify a particular number of applicants that are accepted..does that mean dat as long as u have the requirements u in?

regarding the deadline on the 22nd july i think the reason for the extended deadline is for the maltese school leavers since their a level exams are in may so after they receive their results in july is when they can apply so i assume the majority of applications would take place in july

Hiya, I heard from them March 1st and they supplied an example chem and bio exam paper as well as a chem and bio syllabus. they said they would send an emal about when the exam would be but I havn't heard anything, has anyone else heard anything?

an exam? i dont think everyone has to do this exam i assume i think it mite depend on yr qualifications? are you applying as undergrad or postgrad and if so what course did u graduate in if u dont mind me asking pls?

Have anyone been admitted to the MD course yet?

I applied for transfer in February and still haven't received any
feedback whatsoever.

No, I dont mind u asking. I am applyig as a postgraduate, I graduated in Biomedical Science last year, and apparently all potential international students have to do an exam but I have yet to hear when the exam will be.

No, I dont mind u asking. I am applyig as a postgraduate, I graduated in Biomedical Science last year, and apparently all potential international students have to do an exam but I have yet to hear when the exam will be.

I called, i keep calling...since november bloody hell ! They said they've sent out some rejections. Not sure if I should take that as a good sign. We should hear by the end of this month. Also, one man told me it might take until september ! i need to know what sort of things to study for the test cause i've forgotten all my basic sciences. I need atleast 2 weeks notice. Plus I'm travelling so....worries:D:scared::laugh::smuggrin: mixed emotions

I called, i keep calling...since november bloody hell ! They said they've sent out some rejections. Not sure if I should take that as a good sign. We should hear by the end of this month. Also, one man told me it might take until september ! i need to know what sort of things to study for the test cause i've forgotten all my basic sciences. I need atleast 2 weeks notice. Plus I'm travelling so....worries:D:scared::laugh::smuggrin: mixed emotions

Me too. I can't remember any Physics or chemistry either.

Has anybody heard anything at all about when decisions are to be made?

Me too. I can't remember any Physics or chemistry either.

As I said, I hope they at least give us 2 weeks notice if we are lucky enough to be called for an interview. I'll be in Asia and Africa though from the 24th June to the 12th August so I wish I had a timetable from them. :scared:

How was everyones applications elsewhere ?

As I said, I hope they at least give us 2 weeks notice if we are lucky enough to be called for an interview. I'll be in Asia and Africa though from the 24th June to the 12th August so I wish I had a timetable from them. :scared:

How was everyones applications elsewhere ?
I need advance notice of the exams too as I have dependents, I wouldn't worry about the exams too much because the the syllabus they sent me for the chemistry and the biology paper seemed very reasonable - it seemed based on GCSE and a little bit of A level biology and chemistry. As for interviews the international admissions told me that the department have not decided if they want potential students to do interviews yet.

GCSE and AS level you say?? not being funny but what is the point of doing it?? especially for graduates......like i have all the higher degrees one can get (BSc, MSc and a PhD) so i should smash the exam theoretically, but if i dont, i suppose that im not deservant of my degrees! lol!
and they are taking thier sweet time, especially since the majority of us submitted the old application form around 6 months ago......guess we will have to wait and see, also the admissions people keep on saying that rejections have gone out, does that mean we are being seriously considered now??

GCSE and AS level you say?? not being funny but what is the point of doing it?? especially for graduates......like i have all the higher degrees one can get (BSc, MSc and a PhD) so i should smash the exam theoretically, but if i dont, i suppose that im not deservant of my degrees! lol!
and they are taking thier sweet time, especially since the majority of us submitted the old application form around 6 months ago......guess we will have to wait and see, also the admissions people keep on saying that rejections have gone out, does that mean we are being seriously considered now??

I recently spoke to the med school's secretary, and I was informed that no decisions have been made as of last Monday. She informed me that they hope to make some decisions (I don't know if she meant acceptances or rejections) by the end of July, since 22nd July is the application deadline.

However, I don't know how accurate that information is because the department seems to give conflicting information all the time!

I recently spoke to the med school's secretary, and I was informed that no decisions have been made as of last Monday. She informed me that they hope to make some decisions (I don't know if she meant acceptances or rejections) by the end of July, since 22nd July is the application deadline.

However, I don't know how accurate that information is because the department seems to give conflicting information all the time!

Hmmmm its strange, one of my colleagues has apparently got an interview date scheduled and his friend has apparently been accepted already on the MD programme, so i dont know what to think now.......and others have been given the exam paper....who knows whats going on!! seems like they are telling people different things!

Hmmmm its strange, one of my colleagues has apparently got an interview date scheduled and his friend has apparently been accepted already on the MD programme, so i dont know what to think now.......and others have been given the exam paper....who knows whats going on!! seems like they are telling people different things!

This is the strangest admissions process ever. I feel like that office must be terribly uninformed, just as the applicants are.

Is your colleague a local applicant or a Maltese applicant? How about his friend?

I wish the University would make an effort to map out the admissions process for the applicants.

I'm an international applicant, and besides things said on here I haven't heard anything from the University about an exam or interview. Although, I always assumed an interview would be a part of the process.

I have no idea how they can have a 22 July application deadline and plan on having us all sit an exam, schedule interviews, make decisions, and then notify us within an acceptable time frame (i.e. before September since the course starts at the beginning of October) of their decisions.

You can't exactly tell somebody living in the UK on 28 September 'Hi, you've been accepted to the MD programme, please be here for the start of the term, in 6 days.'

People have commitments to work, families, landlords, etc. Not everybody can just up and move at a moment's notice! We've also got to come up with a living arrangement in Malta.

This University is terribly managed. I'm sure a lot of the issues are arising from them pushing back the application deadline from mid-February to the end July. I just don't see how 5-6 weeks is going to be enough time for them to review all applications and make decisions.

Last edited:
nope, they are both english applicants, and they submitted thier application forms around November time when admissions opened i believe......they only recently found out.. it is a weird process, in the sense that yes we wont find out until very close to the time, and the fact that they increased thier application deadline from the original February one, i dont think its very fair on those that submitted thier applications long ago to be kept in suspense, they must have looked at them by now and come to some sort of conclusion regarding them.

Are you a graduate applicant or an undergraduate one? when did u submit your application if you dont mind me asking?

nope, they are both english applicants, and they submitted thier application forms around November time when admissions opened i believe......they only recently found out.. it is a weird process, in the sense that yes we wont find out until very close to the time, and the fact that they increased thier application deadline from the original February one, i dont think its very fair on those that submitted thier applications long ago to be kept in suspense, they must have looked at them by now and come to some sort of conclusion regarding them.

Are you a graduate applicant or an undergraduate one? when did u submit your application if you dont mind me asking?

Undergraduate, I submitted my application early-February, like the 2nd or 3rd.

In March I got an e-mail with some exam papers and syllabus and they said they'll send some information as to when the exam is going to be held. I've heard nothing since. With regards with people being already accepted I don't know if I should believe that because I spoke to 2 different people from Malta University and they said that nobody has been admitted yet as EVERYONE who applied and their application deemed 'eligible' would have to sit an exam.

In March I got an e-mail with some exam papers and syllabus and they said they'll send some information as to when the exam is going to be held. I've heard nothing since. With regards with people being already accepted I don't know if I should believe that because I spoke to 2 different people from Malta University and they said that nobody has been admitted yet as EVERYONE who applied and their application deemed 'eligible' would have to sit an exam.

see its strange you say that everyone has to sit the exam, i spoke to the medical secretary and someone in admissions and they both stated that depending on your qualifications will one have to sit the exam. This is such a confusing process, and i thought that UCAS was bad enough......my friend has no need to lie, and he was in Malta recently too, so im guessing he had his interview and then got the offer. But we are all mature applicants who have previously done multiple degrees, so im unsure whether that has a bearing on whether you hear before, i certainly havent head anything, maybe its pick of the draw?? or alphabetical, either way, guess all we can do is sit tight and keep the old fingers crossed for good news!

see its strange you say that everyone has to sit the exam, i spoke to the medical secretary and someone in admissions and they both stated that depending on your qualifications will one have to sit the exam. This is such a confusing process, and i thought that UCAS was bad enough......my friend has no need to lie, and he was in Malta recently too, so im guessing he had his interview and then got the offer. But we are all mature applicants who have previously done multiple degrees, so im unsure whether that has a bearing on whether you hear before, i certainly havent head anything, maybe its pick of the draw?? or alphabetical, either way, guess all we can do is sit tight and keep the old fingers crossed for good news!

I don't mean to make it sound like your friend is a liar. Its just that I am hearing 2 different things. :laugh:

Maybe for people who have MSc and Phd's they consider them first. I only have the one degree so maybe thats why I am sitting an exam first.

Last edited:

Did you request the exam papers and syllabus or did they just send it to you?

I haven't received anything of that nature from them. Don't know if that means I don't have to take the exams or if I'm rejected. Either way I haven't heard from the university.

Hey!

I'm a UK student, currently just finished my first year of BSc Biomedical Sciences... I found this university recently online after speaking to someone who graduated from there!

After looking at their admission requirements it says they need B's in A lev chem and biology?

I have A2:
Chem (B)
Biol (B)
Maths (C)

and AS:
Physics (B)

However a lot of you guys have posted saying you're applying after completing undergrad degrees first.. Do i need to finish my Biomed degree before applying? Or am I eligible to apply now with my current grades? And I know a lot of you are complaining about the extended deadline, but as I only just found out about the Uni I'm glad I can still possibly apply for this year! :p

S xx

Is there another forum or website that applicants to the University of Malta use?

I'm just looking to get as much information as I possibly can and there seems to be very little chatter on Student Doctor Network regarding the admissions process at the University of Malta which I find bizarre.

Didn't students from year's past have questions or give an overview of the admissions process? I don't understand it.

The vast majority of the posts in this thread are from 2010 - 2011.

Last edited:
This is the only medical school that I have applied to this year that still has to let me know about the status of my application.

Please, take your time. No rush. :sleep:

Hi all!

I'm also applying for medicine in Malta (c.onditionally eligible).. Does anyone know how many applicants there are and how many places they have?

About the exam I also have to do 2 exams in Biology and Chemistry but what score do we need to get in order to pass ?!?

:confused:

Hi all!

I'm also applying for medicine in Malta (c.onditionally eligible).. Does anyone know how many applicants there are and how many places they have?

About the exam I also have to do 2 exams in Biology and Chemistry but what score do we need to get in order to pass ?!?

:confused:

I received the same offer today in an email, I am required to pass 2 exams (one in biology, the other in chemistry). I am a Maltese applicant but I went to high school in Wales and therefore have "overseas" credentials.

I spoke to a mate of mine who works in the admissions office at the University of Malta and was told that the exam is a formality, and a score of 50% on each exam is all that is required to "pass".

The exam is administered to weed out potential applicants who aren't willing to travel to Malta for exams.

See you on the 18th!

I received the same offer today in an email, I am required to pass 2 exams (one in biology, the other in chemistry). I am a Maltese applicant but I went to high school in Wales and therefore have "overseas" credentials.

I spoke to a mate of mine who works in the admissions office at the University of Malta and was told that the exam is a formality, and a score of 50% on each exam is all that is required to "pass".

The exam is administered to weed out potential applicants who aren't willing to travel to Malta for exams.

See you on the 18th!

I have just completed my A-levels in the UK. I emailed the medical school directly and they said I only have to send them my results, they didn't mention any exams. May I ask what date is the exam at? When were you told that you would have to sit an exam in the future? Thank you

See you on the 18th!

Interesting to know. Thank you.

Last edited:
i recieved this exam thing too....just looks like A Level to be honest.....will everyone be going, flights booked already! :D

Cool...where is everyone coming from? I'm coming from Leeds myself...but taking the flight from London...how's everyones studying going? I forgot how long chemistry revision can be, but we have over a month so hopefully something will come back!! :D

Cool...where is everyone coming from? I'm coming from Leeds myself...but taking the flight from London...how's everyones studying going? I forgot how long chemistry revision can be, but we have over a month so hopefully something will come back!! :D

i live normally in hull, but im having a break n living with my mum at the moment in London. Im flying from Luton the day before the exam, I couldn't find many airports leaving from the UK to Malta. I heard because the exam is multiple choice we shall hear the results within a few days and that if they want you to come for an interview the interview will be roughly early to mid September

Hi,

I'm going to be coming from Rhode Island in the United States. I've got a BSc in Biology.

Does everybody need to interview to be admitted into the MD program? The email that I received made the interview sound like it would only be necessary for some applicants.

From the email:
If an interview is needed you will be informed. It is planned that the
interview will be held in the first week of September.

I'm just wondering because it's kind of expensive for me to fly from the US to Malta for the 18th, then back to the US, and then back to Malta for an interview during the first week of September. So I'm thinking that I may just stay in Malta or the UK between the 18th and the first week of September.

Does anybody want to meet up in Malta around the 18th? I want to get there at least by the 17th and don't know anybody in Malta! It would be boring to just be there by myself!

Cheers.

Last edited: