University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am in. ^^
I had an interview on Jan 26th in the morning.
I was really impressed with faculty members and the students i met during interview. U of Maryland is one of the top schools but i decided to go to U of Maryland because of the people there.
I chose shady grove campus.
and i will see you all on august~:)

is here anyone who had interview on jan 26th?

i interviewed on the 26th in the afternoon! Holla!

I'm so freaked out about housing.... i need a safe neighborhood, close to a gym, 2 bedroom and a solid FREAKING ROOMATE!!!!!

Bingham: How did you choose where to live, well the June6th orientation help orrrrr is it something that should be done on my own? i think housing is absolutely paramount to my success at UMB! Looking forward to meeting you and thanking you for all the help in person buddy =-)

Members don't see this ad.

Generally yes, it does come pretty close to that, but what they do first is offer it to the first 120 (who get their choice of campus). Then they offer the remaining spots to the rest of the people on the list (40) to fill up the remaining campus spots (whether it be Bmore or Shady Grove). After that, it's the waitlist. So the first 160 are guaranteed, and since some of them aren't goint to accept, it more or less goes to about 240 people (so about 80 down the waitlist).

That's not to say that you should take it easy at the interview, because if they decide to reject you, you don't even get on that waitlist.

Thanks for the info! I interviewed on Feb 22 but have not heard anything yet. Did anyone else interview on Feb 22? If so did you get your acceptance letter? Congrats to everyone who got in!!!!!

Thanks for the info! I interviewed on Feb 22 but have not heard anything yet. Did anyone else interview on Feb 22? If so did you get your acceptance letter? Congrats to everyone who got in!!!!!

I also interviewed on the 22nd. Got my acceptance on Monday. Goodluck and congrats in advance!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm so freaked out about housing.... i need a safe neighborhood, close to a gym, 2 bedroom and a solid FREAKING ROOMATE!!!!!

Bingham: How did you choose where to live, well the June6th orientation help orrrrr is it something that should be done on my own? i think housing is absolutely paramount to my success at UMB! Looking forward to meeting you and thanking you for all the help in person buddy =-)

First of all, congrats on being accepted =) Housing is relatively easy. You have two on-campus (sort of) options, Fayette Square and Pascault Row. You can submit applications for either one, though Pascault is harder to get into. Fayette is more expensive, but is comparable to the nicer living you're accustomed to from California. If you feel that you can live in an off-campus apartment on your own, you can use craigslist, or the university apartment listings. It's a balance between safety, proximity, cost, and quality of the place you live in. Let me know by PM if you have any questions!

So where is everyone leaning towards for housing? On campus or off campus? Also, is anyone thinking of buying since the market is easier to enter and the interest rates are pretty low? I'm looking at the Federal Hill and Fell's Point neighborhoods.

Hey Congratulations for everybody who got in!!
I did my interview on 29th of February and still waiting to hear from the school. Did anybody from the last interview date hear from the school yet? I hope I am one of the next batch. :D

I am so excied to attend U of Maryland SOP!:banana:

Has anyone sent deposit and received confirmation?

I was debating between U of Maryland and my home state school, but I decided to go to Maryland because I fell in love with the school & Maryland! :love:

I was interviewed at Maryland back in February. I was told that we will be notified of acceptance/rejection in mid March. I see on this forum that some people already heard from them last week, but I have not heard anything from them yet. Should I call to the school to find out? (I have heard that you should not call the school to ask these things) The wait is killing me since they haven't even said I was rejected/on waitlist or what not.

I am so excied to attend U of Maryland SOP!:banana:

Has anyone sent deposit and received confirmation?

I was debating between U of Maryland and my home state school, but I decided to go to Maryland because I fell in love with the school & Maryland! :love:

sent the deposit today.... no reply yet LOL!

hey, is anyone going to be living in Fayette Square?

anyone here attending the june 6th orientation?

I mailed my deposit along with a delivery confirmation a week ago. Emailed Brenda two days ago to ask for confirmation and she replied today that they have received my money.

sent the deposit today.... no reply yet LOL!

hey, is anyone going to be living in Fayette Square?

anyone here attending the june 6th orientation?

>>> May attend June 6 orientation

>>>Turned in deposit although they havent taken the money from my account:rolleyes:

Is there anyone who interviewed on Feb 22 and is attending this Fall?

hi all! i interviewed on Feb 16th, and I heard back from Maryland March 10th...

I definitely accepted and I am so excited to meet everyone in the fall...

does anyone have any recommendations for off-campus apartments? I heard of the avalon, mumsey, does anyone have info on these or others that are deemed relatively safe, with gyms, comfortable, walking distance, etc?

I'm also very concerned about housing! Have any UMB students lived in housing provided by the school? If so, any comments in regards to the quality of the housing? Being out of state.... WAYYYYY out of state is so hard :(

does anyone have any recommendations for off-campus apartments? I heard of the avalon, mumsey, does anyone have info on these or others that are deemed relatively safe, with gyms, comfortable, walking distance, etc?

Sorry to be behind a bit on replies guys!

I'm currently living in Fayette if any of you have any questions. :)

It's pretty expensive here in Fayette, but its close to school (not as close as pascault row though). It's nicer than pascault - There's free coffee, free printing (as long as you provide paper), a small gym, a fax machine and an atm downstairs. The rooms and kitchen are bigger too. But you pay for the luxury...as a poor college student :p

It's safe here - there's security 24 hours a day and they do rounds every few hours. And there's a 4 way security in the building - you have to swipe to get through the gate, the door, the elevator, your apartment door, and again if you lock your room even.

I know of students living in off-campus. I would definitely suggest coming up here to look at the different apartments. Don't just pick them from the list; come and see if you like it, and if its a safe and comfortable area for you.

I've toured through a few of the off campus housing, if anyone wants to PM or ask me about them. The good ones are about the same price as fayette (if not a bit more, such as Redwood). I've heard good things about the harbor apartments as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey absolute! i'm in san diego too! still waiting to hear from the school though..

congrats to all those who've been accepted!!

for those of you already attending umb and living off-campus, how is the parking situation? is it difficult to find parking? are the permits valid for the entire year? how much are they?

thanks!

I'm not off-campus but I can still answer your question :)
Most of the off-campus students buy a parking permit for the semester in which you get hole-punched for everytime you go in. You pay for the permit (the punch card, ahead of time. Each entry into the garage is around $3-4). You can park all day, but you cannot leave it there overnight. Most of them park in Lexington garage since that's the closet one to the school. It does get packed so you should try to arrive a bit early since you don't circle 10 floors before you find a spot.

For those that are wondering - if you live on campus (through Fayette or Pascault) you can also pay for parking in Lexington (or within fayette if you live there). Fayette's fee is $55 a month, and more if you want to park within fayette. Pascault is cheaper (not sure on the price).

It's pretty expensive here in Fayette, but its close to school (not as close as pascault row though). It's nicer than pascault - There's free coffee, free printing (as long as you provide paper), a small gym, a fax machine and atm downstairs. The rooms, and kitchen are bigger too. But you pay for the luxury...as a poor college student :p

It's safe here - there's security 24 hours a day and they do rounds every few hours. And there's a 4 way security in the building - you have to swipe to get through the gate, the door, the elevator, your apartment door, and again if you lock your room even.

I know of students living in off-campus. I would definitely suggesting coming up here to look at the different apartments. Don't just pick them from the list, come and see if you like it, and if its a safe and comfortable area for you.

I've toured through a few of the off campus housing, if anyone wants to PM or ask me about them. The good ones are about the same price as fayette (if not a bit more, such as Redwood). I've heard good things about the harbor apartments as well.

Thank you! I submitted my application to fayette a few days ago. Hopefully, I can live there too! seems like a great little set up

It's pretty expensive here in Fayette, but its close to school (not as close as pascault row though). It's nicer than pascault - There's free coffee, free printing (as long as you provide paper), a small gym, a fax machine and atm downstairs. The rooms, and kitchen are bigger too. But you pay for the luxury...as a poor college student :p

I know of students living in off-campus. I would definitely suggesting coming up here to look at the different apartments. Don't just pick them from the list, come and see if you like it, and if its a safe and comfortable area for you.

*pat pat* a little slow there =P I already answered the question =D *dodges all the hurled items*

Congrats to those of you who were accepted! I'm sure you are all as excited as I am to be able to meet everyone!

One of the best ways to do that is the New Student Orientation on June 6th. I'm sure most of the in-state students are planning to attend, but I highly encourage the out-of-state students to attend as well! It will give you an opportunity to meet your new classmates, put names to faces, and also to meet a few of your faculty and upperclassmen as they give you a taste of what to expect in your first year. While you won't receive anything concrete (you get all the information again in August orientation), it's an opportunity for you to explore the city a bit and look for housing (if you aren't interested in Fayette Suites or Pascault Row).

As always, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Exactly! Plus, stop trying to suck up to the first years - you know they will like me more :D

You just wait, I'm going to carry you out of the room to make sure they don't see you =P

Oh wait, I don't have to =P they can't see you over their chairs anyway =D

*ruuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnns*

you were both equally helpful and i owe both of you guys lunch!

p.s. get a room!

Hey lilD,

I found these two "fancy" apartments that are near campus:

zenithapts.net

39WestLex.com

Hope that helps.

Hey lilD,

I found these two "fancy" apartments that are near campus:

zenithapts.net

39WestLex.com

Hope that helps.

oh yeah, those look pretty sick! I especially like 39 West Lex, a complimentary limousine service from the appartment to pharmacy school is exactly what i need!:laugh:

oh yeah, those look pretty sick! I especially like 39 West Lex, a complimentary limousine service from the appartment to pharmacy school is exactly what i need!:laugh:
hahah I wish I could have a limousine take me to class!!! lol.

thanks for the help! as much as I like those apartments tho, I think they are a little outta my price range:(. i definitely do not want to pay more than $1000/month, especially if i have a roommate.

any one chose SG campus here? I will live off campus ( my house will be 2 exits away from campus so 10 min drive :) I am from VA but has family's house in MD so no rent phew, any one study in SG want to form group study please let me know, soooo soon :) but I am so exciting

hahah I wish I could have a limousine take me to class!!! lol.

thanks for the help! as much as I like those apartments tho, I think they are a little outta my price range:(. i definitely do not want to pay more than $1000/month, especially if i have a roommate.

Hey lilD,

The Zenith which looks like it's literally across the street from campus has 2 bedroom units for $17xx

http://units.realtydatatrust.com/Un....net/redirect.php?ils=439&propid=22985&beds=2

You can split with a roomate and it'll come out to within your budget. Utilities will most likely push it over a bit but at least you're in a good location with some nice amenities.

.Can current students recommend housing choices (B'more campus) for married couples? I'm thinking of apartments (1BR) along the light rail lines or suburbs <15 min by car. Thanks!

any one chose SG campus here? I will live off campus ( my house will be 2 exits away from campus so 10 min drive :) I am from VA but has family's house in MD so no rent phew, any one study in SG want to form group study please let me know, soooo soon :) but I am so exciting

Greetings, I chose SG campus. I just got my acceptance last Thursday! I am out of state and need to find a place to stay. Got to study for a test first, though:mad:

can the current students answer this question please:

is it just me or are all/vast majority of the students married/engaged???

.Can current students recommend housing choices (B'more campus) for married couples? I'm thinking of apartments (1BR) along the light rail lines or suburbs <15 min by car. Thanks!

To be honest, it doesn't really matter where you live assuming that you have access to a car everyone in a while. Most people don't even go to class. Every single lecture is recorded and is available to you. As a matter of fact, videos are better since u get to stop and rewind if the professors are too fast. I've personally only been to class for handing in assigment/labs/quizzes/tests. Probably 4-5 times a month. I am at the baltimore campus. How much did you want to spend on rent per month? i could make some suggestions based on that.

I am also a P1, i know a few of my classmates are engaged and married, but the majority of them are not. The average age was 24 i think, my other classmates could probably back me up.

thank you UMB students, you guys are so helpful, could you answer another question for me please?

could you break down a typical school day? how long do classes typically go for? where/when do you study? how many hours of studying per week do you feel are necessary to sufficiently prepare yourself for midterms/quizzes/finals?

thank you again guys, i look forward to meeting all of you in june/august!:D

thank you UMB students, you guys are so helpful, could you answer another question for me please?

could you break down a typical school day? how long do classes typically go for? where/when do you study? how many hours of studying per week do you feel are necessary to sufficiently prepare yourself for midterms/quizzes/finals?

thank you again guys, i look forward to meeting all of you in june/august!:D

If you are on the Baltimore campus and you DO go to class, then a typical first year day starts out at 9 a.m. and goes till about noon (give or take an hour). If you have labs, it's in the afternoon. If you have exams, they are at 7:30 a.m. Then you have all your organizations which have meetings, commitments, part time work if you so choose, etc. etc. etc. So you definitely can have a full day even if you only have two or three hours of class.

You study whenever you feel like; most people find a place that suits them. Some people like the lecture halls, others like to find a coffee shop; others attend review sessions, while some people prefer isolated studying. Since I'm a pretty techy person, I like to study in my room since I can use my dual-monitor to study effectively. But of course, that's just me and I"m probably really dorky anyway.

The amount of studying varies from person to person. Some people only cram before the exam, and manage to do just fine, while others can study for days on end and still not do well. It depends on the individual. However, from my experience, if you have had a strong background in the material, you can probably get away with about 8 to 10 hours of studying per exam. It's really up to you. Pharmacy school isn't easy though, so don't think that just because the schedule is light that you will get a break, because you don't. Between the school work, your extra curriculars, and having fun with your classmates...it adds up. You will find yourself out of time to study, so be careful =)

As for me, I try to attend class every day, but there are some weeks with two or three exams in a row where I feel that I can't afford to miss out on the extra hours of studying. Second year is supposedly 10 to 20 times worse than first year, but I"ll let you know once i get there =P First year is definitely manageable though, and it's mainly a year to get everyone on the same page. I find myself doing decently in my classes given the amount of time i study, but it can vary from person to person. There is a limit to how much you can study; I don't believe that studying any longer would have allowed me to do any better on any of my exams, so don't feel you have to sacrifice your commitments to focus exclusively on school.

I'll leave the typical Shady Grove day to a Shady Grove classmate =)

Not many are married/engaged actually...As far as I know, in the first year class, I only know of about 15 individuals who are actually engaged/married.
There are many others who are in current relationships, and even a few cute ones which developed during school. But there are lots of people who ARE single, so if you are single, don't worry about it! There's lots of opportunities! (If you need help getting hooked up with a second year guy/girl, just let me know, I'll help you out =D j/k j/k j/k!) Just like they say for pharmacy school, there's lot of experiences, so don't feel that you have to grab someone your first year in. You will get the opportunity to meet other healthcare professionals; who knows, you might end up dating a first-year dental student that you meet at a social mixer.

There are people who do get engaged DURING their four years here though...I can think of about 8 or 9 people offhand who are newly engaged/married/had kids in the upper classes. But hey, it's life and it's to be expected.

.Can current students recommend housing choices (B’more campus) for married couples? I’m thinking of apartments (1BR) along the light rail lines or suburbs <15 min by car. Thanks!.

If you are looking for a 1BR apartment for married couples, you might try some of the off-campus apartment complexes like Redwood apartments. I would imagine you want something a little more isolated than a typical rowhome. You can also try Zenith, Avalon lofts, and a few others as well, because they might have apartment options that are isolated as opposed to the typical shared rowhome/shared apartment fare. I don't believe Fayette Suites will let you use a 1BR studio for married couples, but you can always call to check.

wow, just three hours of lectures per day that's pretty sick! i guess i should probably look into some part time work... maybe 15 hours per week for some minute expenses, like a gym membership LOL.

also glad to hear that not everyone is tied down in a serious relationship, not because I'm looking forward to hooking up with people, but because in my personal experience married people -- are pretty god-damn boring and too into each other to give someone new a chance (as a friend even!).

wow, just three hours of lectures per day that's pretty sick! i guess i should probably look into some part time work... maybe 15 hours per week for some minute expenses, like a gym membership LOL.

also glad to hear that not everyone is tied down in a serious relationship, not because I'm looking forward to hooking up with people, but because in my personal experience married people -- are pretty god-damn boring and too into each other to give someone new a chance (as a friend even!).

Lol, don't underestimate those 3 hours of lecture. I can tell you that those 3 hours of lecture give some of my classmates quite a bit of a struggle come exam time. The problem isn't that it's hard, it's that you have a lot of material to review for each exam; and given the amount of time spent on review, you fall behind. On weeks with two or three exams back-to-back or every other day...you can see where you can fall behind 8 or 9 lectures pretty quickly, and it doesn't get any easier after that. You also have group work, papers, and labs on top of all that to turn in. But, it is completely manageable. So don't fret =)

As for working, it's up to you. Some people choose to work and do just fine. If you're working for money, keep it light, because come exam time or when you're starting to look to get involved with on-campus leadership with your organizations, you'll find yourself spread thin. I know that with my schedule, I don't really have time to work at all.

As for married people, they are some of the coolest people I know =) While they aren't able to hang out late at night like we are, if you get to know them, they have a lot to say and are very very nice =) As you will find when you come to school, it's not good to generalize, because you'll be quite surprised. You can be friends with people you choose to be friends with =) Whether they're married or not has nothing to do with it. Just don't expect them to stay out partying till midnight. If you sit in pharmacy hall studying or chitchatting though, you're bound to run into people who are engaged/married, and you will have the chance to see how amazing they are. Just takes a chance is all.

hi guys,

my letter is asking to call and indicate which campus site i would like - i had been to baltimore and not yet been to shady grove (what is it like?) i personally like the program at shady grove, and now i am not sure how to pick =/ anyone else going to shady grove?

hi guys,

my letter is asking to call and indicate which campus site i would like - i had been to baltimore and not yet been to shady grove (what is it like?) i personally like the program at shady grove, and now i am not sure how to pick =/ any suggestions/opinions on pros and cons of each program?

any feedback would be appreciated

well I visited the SG campus and I did think that the living environment is definitely nicer, safer, cleaner...etc. But I decided on Baltimore for a few reasons:

1) I come from layed back southern california and I wanted to experience living in a hectic, busy, industrious city for a change.
2) Most SG students choose SG because they feel like it's more flexible; however, I feel like Baltimore campus allows for maximum flexibility; I can attend lectures AND/OR view them online, while SG students can only choose the online version!
3) Although the SG campus is very close-knit, I felt like I would still be able to meet many more interesting people in Baltimore, not only pharmacy students, but also medical, law, dentistry etc....

So based on those 3 things I decided that Baltimore is for me!

congrats to the class of 2012

btw: im still selling everything i own in bmore.......desk, tv, car, bed frame, hangers, lamps, dressers, couch, table and chairs, bookshelves, pots and pans, toaster, clocks, laser printer, shelving, storage crates, plastic bins, anything and everything you will buy for your student career, i have!

im selling for hella cheap

please let me know what u need

Question about pre-reqs, I apologize if this has been asked already but I think I read MOST of this thread. I can see on the website that UMD requires a speech class and requires 4-6 semesters of humanities. Does the speech class count toward the humanities credits or is it separate? I guess the same thing will apply to the economics classes, right? Thanks :)

hi AbsoluteEthanol

thank you for your reply. i edited my question after realizing there are some postings on this forum about the differences and pros/cons of each campus. i appreciate it! still hesitating but for sure I have a better idea now

hi AbsoluteEthanol

thank you for your reply. i edited my question after realizing there are some postings on this forum about the differences and pros/cons of each campus. i appreciate it! still hesitating but for sure I have a better idea now

no problem, i just really think it depends on what YOU want out of your pharm school experience and also on your personally.

me, personally, I'm an intelligent person, but a highly undisciplined student, so if my lectures were strictly online I would definitely not keep up with them. are you coming up for the june 6th orientation, if so, im looking forward to meeting you :)

Yay! I got my accetance e-mail yesterday.

GPA 3.5
PCAT 86 composite
Biology and Chemistry PCAT scores around 80
2 yrs at independent pharmacy, 3 months at retail pharmacy, 2 yrs at a doctor's office, and some volunteer experiences

Yay! I got my accetance e-mail yesterday.

GPA 3.5
PCAT 86 composite
Biology and Chemistry PCAT scores around 80
2 yrs at independent pharmacy, 3 months at retail pharmacy, 2 yrs at a doctor's office, and some volunteer experiences

WOoooo! congrats!

why does my signature only appear like 40 - 50% of the time?

Congrats on getting into UMD!! :)

I want to say something that may seem to be off topic, but it's good random advice:
I think that it's important to get to know your classmates, upperclassmen, your professors, and the administration, because pharmacy is a very small profession. Networking is very important; you never know when you need that contact, or when knowing a professor could help you get a recommendation, a job, an internship, etc.

It's also important to be involved while you're in school, which encompasses getting involved in organizations, or other things that relate to the school and/or the profession. Organizations give you a spin, and a dynamic, to what could be a stressful 4 years of your life. It gives you experience, opens your eyes to a part of the profession you may not already know, it helps you network, and it's fun too!

I hope you guys do not get the impression that the school approves of Baltimore students who have decided to only come to school when there are exams/labs/assignments due; or that many of our Baltimore students choose to do so. A very good majority of us do attend classes.

PS. AbsoluteEthanol - signatures don't come up as much when you quote a previous user (it's strange, I know haha)

On average, how many organizations do UMB pharm students participate in?:)

On average, how many organizations do UMB pharm students participate in?:)

On average? I'd say maybe 2 or 3 actively.

In terms of leadership positions, most end up taking between 1 to 2. The crazier students take 3.

The important thing is not to get overwhelmed with your extracurriculars and your schoolwork.

Congrats on getting into UMD!! :)

I hope you guys do not get the impression that the school approves of Baltimore students who have decided to only come to school when there are exams/labs/assignments due; or that many of our Baltimore students choose to do so. A very good majority of us do attend classes.

Approved by the school or not, its the truth. Just stating what i've seen personally.

on many many occasions the professors have said, "wow 18 people in class" or "today is better, there are 25 of you here" majority would be there are at least 60 in class everyday.

Just giving people a heads up. tho i do agree with you, it is very important to get involved and interact with your peers/faculty.