University of Minnesota - Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my supplemental last week and received an email saying I would be notified if I get an interview or not within 3 weeks! I can't wait!

I'm currently an undergrad at the U and have a PCAT 85, GPA 3.5.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds awesome! I will be applying in October. This is one of my top oos choices

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying too... I don't feel like writing my supplemental essays, but I need to get started on that ASAP!
PCAT: 95
GPA: 3.5

I'm applying too... I don't feel like writing my supplemental essays, but I need to get started on that ASAP!
PCAT: 95
GPA: 3.5

Congrats on the awesome PCAT! :D

Yeah, the supplemental application takes a lot longer than it should. I wrote them in one day, and then just came back to them a few days later to proofread it one more time and then submitted it. I feel like your personal statement is a lot more important, so I didn't take as much time on them compared to my statement.

Are you doing the optional scholarship essay? I tried, but I've from the metro area so it was hard for me to put myself in a different situation which I wasn't as knowledgeable about.

Congrats on the awesome PCAT! :D

Yeah, the supplemental application takes a lot longer than it should. I wrote them in one day, and then just came back to them a few days later to proofread it one more time and then submitted it. I feel like your personal statement is a lot more important, so I didn't take as much time on them compared to my statement.

Are you doing the optional scholarship essay? I tried, but I've from the metro area so it was hard for me to put myself in a different situation which I wasn't as knowledgeable about.

Thank you! Yeah I started writing it and went way over the character level, now I have to figure how to say what I want to say without going overboard.
I'm not going to do the optional essay. I do plan on working in an underserved area after pharmacy school, but I don't want to be committed to Minnesota since I'm not from there.

Thank you! Yeah I started writing it and went way over the character level, now I have to figure how to say what I want to say without going overboard.
I'm not going to do the optional essay. I do plan on working in an underserved area after pharmacy school, but I don't want to be committed to Minnesota since I'm not from there.

Oh, ok. Where are you from? If you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask me! I've lived in the Minneapolis area my whole life and I'm a current student at the Twin Cities campus.

Oh, ok. Where are you from? If you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask me! I've lived in the Minneapolis area my whole life and I'm a current student at the Twin Cities campus.

I'm from Arizona. Thank you, I'll let you know if I have any questions :)

Btw, is anybody having trouble loading the supp app? For some reason mine won't load :s

I'm from Arizona. Thank you, I'll let you know if I have any questions :)

Btw, is anybody having trouble loading the supp app? For some reason mine won't load :s

Hm, I did mine about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't have any problems back then. If it still isn't working today, I would just send the UMN pharmacy admission staff an email asking about it - they are really good at getting back to you quickly.

Hm, I did mine about 2 weeks ago, but I didn't have any problems back then. If it still isn't working today, I would just send the UMN pharmacy admission staff an email asking about it - they are really good at getting back to you quickly.

I opened it up in a different browser and it loaded :)
For all your essays did you reach the 1700 limit? For the second essay about my unique role in pharmacy, I'm having a hard time writing without sounding redundant. =/

I opened it up in a different browser and it loaded :)
For all your essays did you reach the 1700 limit? For the second essay about my unique role in pharmacy, I'm having a hard time writing without sounding redundant. =/

One of them I was a little short on, and I think it was that one. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I don't think having 300 less characters or whatever will make them think you're a worse candidate.

How long did it take to get the supplemental application invitation after submitting PharmCAS?

How long did it take to get the supplemental application invitation after submitting PharmCAS?

I am curious to this as well. Just added UMinn and would like to finish my supplemental app as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)

It took maybe about a week? If look on their website though, they have the supplemental questions for this year listed so you can get a head start and submit them asap - that's what I did!

It took maybe about a week? If look on their website though, they have the supplemental questions for this year listed so you can get a head start and submit them asap - that's what I did!

I got the invite after a few hours. Thanks!

Has anyone received an interview invite yet? Sept 27 is approaching.

Wait, what? I submitted the supplemental application 2 weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything yet!

Wait, you just mean the invite for supplemental, right? :p Maybe I read that too quickly.

I'm guessing it's too late for the Sept 27th interview now. I'm in-state, but I have an out of state interview on the 26th so I'll just wait for the October date (assuming I get to the interview stage).

Wait, what? I submitted the supplemental application 2 weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything yet!

Wait, you just mean the invite for supplemental, right? :p Maybe I read that too quickly.

I'm guessing it's too late for the Sept 27th interview now. I'm in-state, but I have an out of state interview on the 26th so I'll just wait for the October date (assuming I get to the interview stage).

Yes, I was referring to the supplemental and good luck on your interview. I have one on the 26th as well :thumbup:

I've submitted my supp the about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully we get some news quick. Goodluck! :)

I applied back in August and was one of two to test if the supplemental worked or not before they officially released it. On Aug. 27th, I got an email saying that that my application was under review and that they'll hear from me in three weeks or less. This Tuesday is "three weeks" so I'm getting a little antsy here!

Just curious, but do you get an email confirmation after you submit your supplemental?

Yes, I did get an e-mail after sumbiting my supplemental saying my application was officially under review.

My "3 weeks" is next friday, so I'm getting excited, too!

So I just called them today, and they said that they are on a bit of a delay when it comes to going over the applicants, just to everyone know. :)

So I just called them today, and they said that they are on a bit of a delay when it comes to going over the applicants, just to everyone know. :)

Thanks! Maybe they got a lot of people early on? MN doesn't have early decisions though, so who knows. Did they say roughly when they will get back to you?

Thanks! Maybe they got a lot of people early on? MN doesn't have early decisions though, so who knows. Did they say roughly when they will get back to you?
They said sometime this week, but who knows! Yeah MN doesn't have early decision, but they get back to you within a month after your interview, right? That's what the website said and my friend who got in last year.

They said sometime this week, but who knows! Yeah MN doesn't have early decision, but they get back to you within a month after your interview, right? That's what the website said and my friend who got in last year.

I believe so! I know one of my co-workers (who is now starting his first year) got accepted sometime in December.

Just got my interview spot reserved for Oct. 25th today. Let me know if anyone else is going that day, too!

Just got my interview spot reserved for Oct. 25th today. Let me know if anyone else is going that day, too!
Congratulations!!!

I just submitted my supplemental a few days ago and am hoping to hear from them for the October 25th interview) - can I ask what your stats are??

Congratulations!!!

I just submitted my supplemental a few days ago and am hoping to hear from them for the October 25th interview) - can I ask what your stats are??
GPA: 3.4, PCAT: 87, getting my BS in Biochemistry, minors in Chemistry and Informatics, experience as CPhT at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Acute Care, Intraveneous Admixtures, and Central Inpatient Departments) since 2010. I also volunteer A LOT.

Hm.. I can't think of anything else. Just ask :)

just got an interview invite for the 25th of october as well!

For how long did the admissions take to invite you guys after completing the supplemental?
Congratulations BTW!!!

GPA: 3.4, PCAT: 87, getting my BS in Biochemistry, minors in Chemistry and Informatics, experience as CPhT at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (Acute Care, Intraveneous Admixtures, and Central Inpatient Departments) since 2010. I also volunteer A LOT.

Hm.. I can't think of anything else. Just ask :)
Oh!! Okay :)) Thanks for replying!! Your stats are solid :)) but I'm sure you know that haha.

Just wanted to see what U. of MN was looking for in comparison to the other schools I have gotten interview requests for, since this is one of my higher choices. Hopefully I hear something back!

Good luck with the interview!!! :D Knock their socks off!

Congrats to everyone! I called Friday and they said there were 2 people ahead of me they were waiting to review, and then it was my turn! So I should find out early next week they said. :) I'm hoping to interview in October!

My stats are
3.45 Science same as Cumulative
4+ years of Senior Tech Experience
500+ volunteer hours
PCAT : only 29% .
Do you think i might have a chance for an interview? Should i retake the PCAT?

My stats are
500+ volunteer hours

I would recommend that you retake. It will only make you more competitive and if I remember correctly the average PCAT was 75+?

My stats are
500+ volunteer hours

Yes, I would re-take for sure. The UMN average is a 75 PCAT with a 3.5 average GPA. So your GPA is fine as long as you can bring your PCAT up. You do have a ton of volunteering and experience which Minnesota loves, but that's a low PCAT. If you could get it to at least above 60 I would say you have a chance.

Yes, I would re-take for sure. The UMN average is a 75 PCAT with a 3.5 average GPA. So your GPA is fine as long as you can bring your PCAT up. You do have a ton of volunteering and experience which Minnesota loves, but that's a low PCAT. If you could get it to at least above 60 I would say you have a chance.

How did you get such a high PCAT score? what material did you use? I took it the second time last week and i failed at RC and Quantitative due to running out of time :( So i already signed up for the October one but i just need to learn how to study more effectively for it .

How did you get such a high PCAT score? what material did you use? I took it the second time last week and i failed at RC and Quantitative due to running out of time :( So i already signed up for the October one but i just need to learn how to study more effectively for it .
I tutor the PCAT at my school. I was really bad at reading comprehension, too. I downloaded the BenchPrep app and frequently took one reading quiz at a time and gradually built up the endurance. The hardest part for me is to learn how to stay focused for that long of a period. As for Quantitative reasoning, I'm personally good with numbers, so I never had to work on it. But from my tutoring experience, take it slow at first. A lot of people just jump to conclusions about calculations and don't realize that they are making small mistakes.

If you're not good at one section, of course practice that section but also practice the other sections! I got between 40-60 on all the sections except chemistry I got a 99, and it bumped my composite to 84.

Just curious. To those interviewing on Oct. 25th. Would anyone be interested in discussing transportation logistics? I'll be staying at the Microtel Inn and Suites (the hotel options the school gave was too expensive or did not have vacancies) and was wondering if anyone in the vicinity would be interested in splitting taxi fare or even providing transportation. Of course I'll be happy to compensate if the latter. Please let me know via private messaging, thanks!

EDIT: Oh I will be interviewing at the Twin Cities campus.

Last edited:
If you're not good at one section, of course practice that section but also practice the other sections! I got between 40-60 on all the sections except chemistry I got a 99, and it bumped my composite to 84.

For Chem, did you use Dr. Collins' study guide?

So I'm interviewing in TC on the 25th but also want to check out Duluth the day before. I'm renting a car and driving..message me if you're down for a good time.

For Chem, did you use Dr. Collins' study guide?

Nope! I just bought some study books from Barnes and Noble and the Pearson tests. I did get A/A- in all gem chem and organic chem though.

Good luck. Minnesota is a good school.