University of New England C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aesop13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at P3 here so if any of you applicants have any questions, feel free to use this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey can you tell me a little bit about your experiences with the school in terms of course load, how the teachers are, and the kinds of opportunities UNE has given you? I am from Maine so I am pretty familiar with the school but I just wanted to get some insight from a current student.

Also can you tell me what the makeup is in terms of the students? Did most people come from UNE/Maine? Did the majority of bachelors degrees before applying?

Lastly are there any scholarships that are awarded upon the time of admission?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey can you tell me a little bit about your experiences with the school in terms of course load, how the teachers are, and the kinds of opportunities UNE has given you? I am from Maine so I am pretty familiar with the school but I just wanted to get some insight from a current student.

Also can you tell me what the makeup is in terms of the students? Did most people come from UNE/Maine? Did the majority of bachelors degrees before applying?

Lastly are there any scholarships that are awarded upon the time of admission?

The course load is pretty comparable to other universities. The 2nd year is always the worst year in terms of course-load and work. You have your bad teachers and good teachers, but for me, the good teachers always outweigh the bad ones. We have some excellent professors that go above and beyond their normal scope to ensure that we get the best education possible.

Because UNE is a private school, there is a lot of funding for students that request it for professional events. I just got back from ASHP mid-year in Las Vegas where I got to meet residency directors and pharmacy directors to get more information about their programs and get a feel for applying to residencies, and UNE helped to pay for a portion of it. This isn't very normal in state schools and the professors here are willing to accomodate because they understand the importance of the conference.

I want to say as the classes have progressed, there are more and more students from New England, mainly Maine. This previous P1 class is probably about 50% Maine, if not more. In terms of Bachelors, I can only speak on the behalf of my class and about 75% have a bachelors, but I know that number is different from class to class. I think this last P1 class doesn't have as many bachelors because a good portion of them came from the Biddeford pre-pharm program.

I really enjoyed the program because of the people. Every place can be excellent, its the impression the school leaves and what you make of it. I'm originally from Florida and my first semester here I was pretty homesick, but after meeting my classmates and the other classes, and the professors here, I'm very happy I chose UNE. The school is new, but because of this, it allows for change and us as students to make that change. There has been a lot of changes to the curriculum because we as students found it more conducive to be taught a certain way. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

aesop, do you see any potential barricades that jmight prevent this school from becoming fully accredited? or do you think accrediation wll happen soon! thanks!

I just got an interview invite here for 1/25 -- I'm kinda shaking because I'm from CA and Maine in late Jan sounds COLD! :laugh:

The course load is pretty comparable to other universities. The 2nd year is always the worst year in terms of course-load and work. You have your bad teachers and good teachers, but for me, the good teachers always outweigh the bad ones. We have some excellent professors that go above and beyond their normal scope to ensure that we get the best education possible.

Because UNE is a private school, there is a lot of funding for students that request it for professional events. I just got back from ASHP mid-year in Las Vegas where I got to meet residency directors and pharmacy directors to get more information about their programs and get a feel for applying to residencies, and UNE helped to pay for a portion of it. This isn't very normal in state schools and the professors here are willing to accomodate because they understand the importance of the conference.

I want to say as the classes have progressed, there are more and more students from New England, mainly Maine. This previous P1 class is probably about 50% Maine, if not more. In terms of Bachelors, I can only speak on the behalf of my class and about 75% have a bachelors, but I know that number is different from class to class. I think this last P1 class doesn't have as many bachelors because a good portion of them came from the Biddeford pre-pharm program.

I really enjoyed the program because of the people. Every place can be excellent, its the impression the school leaves and what you make of it. I'm originally from Florida and my first semester here I was pretty homesick, but after meeting my classmates and the other classes, and the professors here, I'm very happy I chose UNE. The school is new, but because of this, it allows for change and us as students to make that change. There has been a lot of changes to the curriculum because we as students found it more conducive to be taught a certain way. If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

Hello, I have questions about interview process if you can remember them. I have received the invitation for interview and I want to prepare since I never was interviewd nor practiced. What kind of questions and how should I practice and how should I act on the invitation date? Thank you

Hello, I have questions about interview process if you can remember them. I have received the invitation for interview and I want to prepare since I never was interviewd nor practiced. What kind of questions and how should I practice and how should I act on the invitation date? Thank you

Hi,

I have the same situation. Can anyone one help with expreince of interview? I'm very excited for it.

Hi,

I have the same situation. Can anyone one help with expreince of interview? I'm very excited for it.
I can't give you any of the specific question that were asked, but can tell you that it was mainly conversational in style. As others have said (on another UNE thread), the interviewers know your background/pharmcas package, and your stats/PCAT/experience got you the interview - it was my impression that they are mainly looking at one's personality, and motivations for becoming a pharmacy student. It was very relaxed in nature, and the two department heads that interviewed me were really kind. Just be yourself, and know why you want to study pharmacy, and why you might like studying at UNE. Good luck!

Hi guys, I have an interview for UNE coming up on Jan. 11th. I'm still debating on whether or not I should go because tickets are getting pretty costly and I'm flying all the way from Cali! I want to rent a car but I'm afraid of the snow and driving in it. I've never seen snow before! Can anyone tell me about their transportation experience to the interview and how UNE is (the PharmD program, the staffs, etc.)? I'm not hearing much about this school! Also, how is Portland? Thanks in advance guys!

Hi guys, I have an interview for UNE coming up on Jan. 11th. I'm still debating on whether or not I should go because tickets are getting pretty costly and I'm flying all the way from Cali! I want to rent a car but I'm afraid of the snow and driving in it. I've never seen snow before! Can anyone tell me about their transportation experience to the interview and how UNE is (the PharmD program, the staffs, etc.)? I'm not hearing much about this school! Also, how is Portland? Thanks in advance guys!

My best friend lives in Portland and she's from SC (where I am) and states that you will quickly acclimate to the snowy terrain. Also, she says that it has been unseasonably warm so hopefully the weather won't be quite as much of an issue for you. Best of luck!

Here's what I did and it worked out SUPER well. Very efficient way of getting to campus. Book a night at the Hilton Garden Inn (Airport one, there are two HDIs) in Portland. They offer a FREE 24/7 shuttle service that will pick you up from the airport to the hotel and also to ANYWHERE in portland you wan, including UNE. I just got up the morning of my interview, hoped on the shuttle (small bus) and made it to campus no problems!

Here's what I did and it worked out SUPER well. Very efficient way of getting to campus. Book a night at the Hilton Garden Inn (Airport one, there are two HDIs) in Portland. They offer a FREE 24/7 shuttle service that will pick you up from the airport to the hotel and also to ANYWHERE in portland you wan, including UNE. I just got up the morning of my interview, hoped on the shuttle (small bus) and made it to campus no problems!

thank you for your advice! how did you make it back to the airport after the interview? doesn't it end at 4 30pm after checkout time for the hotel?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi!! I am from Cali too and I had to go by myself!! I should have read this earlier and we can go together. HOpe to see you tmmr!!!

I just got an interview invite here for 1/25 -- I'm kinda shaking because I'm from CA and Maine in late Jan sounds COLD! :laugh:

Im coming from california as well and interviewing on the 25th too. I haven't decided on renting a car or just taking a cab for the interview. Im scared to drive with the snow and the weather says it is snowing on friday.

I have an interview here in March. Anyone have any good advice? Where to stay, how the interview was like? This is my second year to apply here, hopefully I hear great news this year! :)

I was wondering, what's the average pay for pharmacy interns? I just got accepted and will be transferring.

Hi I have got an interview in UNE this march. Can any one help me with the interview as I am attending for the first time. Is it easy to get admission here after an interview. plz help.

Hi how was your interview , I have interview here in march , can u give me some tips. Did u get admission.

Hi how was interview, what they asked, can u give some tips for the interview, I have interview in march. Did u get admission.

Received an interview invite :)

How diverse is the student body and surrounding areas? I have lived in the DC/Baltimore area but I am not too familiar with the Northeast. I am currently living in CA.

I appreciate the current students making themselves available on here to answer our questions. Thanks! :D

Another UNE student chiming in. I'm currently a P1 and am loving it here. To answer a previous question about UNE's accreditation, we received word that our program is on track to receive full accreditation by the end of this academic year.

Here is the official ACPE status.

Technically speaking, anything may happen. But I feel that full accreditation will happen this year.

Good luck to all the applicants! I hope to meet some of you during your interview session.

I saw a few of you at the interview session on 3/15. Looking sharp! Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited:
Interviewing here on 4/5 and really looking forward to it! Anybody else interviewing then?

I saw a few of you at the interview session on 3/15. Looking sharp! Feel free to ask questions.

Hi nice meeting everyone in the interview. Did the admission committe meet and did they decide anything about the decisions for those who interviewed on march 15 th . Any one accepted .

For a current pharmacy student, can you please tell me how much is the living cost, house rent, food, and how easy it is to get around that area. is there public buses o do i need my own car. Also do you have any idea on how much loans do students take out per year to cover their tuition and expanses. thanks

Hey does anyone know where I can find a listing for roommates or if anyone is interested in living with me? I am a 28 male, looking for maybe one or two guy roommates (and I have a dog too, hopefully that is not much of an issue).

I just checked the tuition for the hampton pharmacy program $28k for off campus students! Thats quite a chunk of money...I really do not want to reconsider starting pharmacy school in the fall

which school would you go, California Northstate College of Pharmacy or University of New England if you got accepted from both? and why?

Hi everyone,

Do we have a facebook page for class 2017? of here is the only place to ask and answer questions?
Does anyone know where to find roommates who go to UNE as well to share an apartment?
For pharmacy students, is the dorm available?
Thank you.

Hi everyone,

Do we have a facebook page for class 2017? of here is the only place to ask and answer questions?
Does anyone know where to find roommates who go to UNE as well to share an apartment?
For pharmacy students, is the dorm available?
Thank you.

Previous poster gave you the link to the Facebook page, which is probably the best way to find roommates. There are a few upperclassmen (including me) who are in the group and can spread the word to other classes.

The only dorms available at UNE (to my knowledge) are the ones on the Biddeford campus. The College of Pharmacy is actually on the Portland campus (~20-30min drive) and I don't believe the dorms are open to pharmacy students. Check with the student life office on the Biddeford campus.

The closest thing to a dorm we have are the Bayside Village apartments that are open to all college students (and some non-college students). I have a few friends who live there and they like it very much. Here's a link: http://baysidevillagemaine.com/

Good luck!

Hello!

I am planning to visit campus on February 2014 because of the interview.
How did you guys find the transportation to campus? (From airport area)
Did you guys call "Taxi"? How much does it cost? (airport to campus is about 5 miles distances)

I heard there are some "Hotel/Inn" offer the transportation service to campus for free.
Is this true?

hello hailicious, did you get accepted at une?

Congrats!! Any advice for the interview? Like question examples?
Hey yea! the interview is very chill. Basically they ask you why pharmacy and why UNE. For my interview we talked mainly about Portland and Maine. LOL.

Hey guys, I'm currently a p1 at UNE COP.. If anyone has an upcoming interview and is looking for somewhere to stay for the night PM me. I'll let you stay at my place, pick you up/drop you off from the jetport/bus station/to and from the interview. What's better than staying with a student right before the interview? Wouldn't mind showing you around either. (I'm a girl so I'd prefer female interviewees)

Hey guys, I'm currently a p1 at UNE COP.. If anyone has an upcoming interview and is looking for somewhere to stay for the night PM me. I'll let you stay at my place, pick you up/drop you off from the jetport/bus station/to and from the interview. What's better than staying with a student right before the interview? Wouldn't mind showing you around either. (I'm a girl so I'd prefer female interviewees)

thank you for your offer! thats very sweet and really nice of you.

I will be travelling with my bf. But i do have a question, I kind of really want to go see what apartments are available, just to get ahead 'just in case'. and any places you recommend to visit while im already in maine? best place to get lobster? maybe nightlife? or museums? anything you can recommend?