University of Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted276313

I've been seeing their ads lately on TV, so I decided to check them out. I'm somewhat amazed that they offer a Ph.D. in I/O Psych (link) and a M.S. in General Psych (link), especially since the APA hasn't done any accreditation for the them (and most likely never will). It smells like one giant diploma mill to me.

What do you all think of this university?

I wonder how the hell someone who graduates with a graduate psych degree from them is going to find work.

Members don't see this ad.

The APA doesn't accredit I/O programs or M.S. programs so you're right - the APA never will accredit them. From the little bit I know about this "university", I think the "diploma-mill" label is pretty spot-on.

The APA doesn't accredit I/O programs or M.S. programs so you're right - the APA never will accredit them. From the little bit I know about this "university", I think the "diploma-mill" label is pretty spot-on.

Ditto. Not reputable.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend who works for a large US city's HR department said to me, "When we get resumes from people with the University of Pheonix on them we throw them in the garbage and laugh."

Fair or not, online learning is definitely not held in the same regard as traditional brick & mortar universities. Taking a general education requirement for an undergraduate class may be more acceptable, but at the graduate level I would not recommend it.

I'll agree with what others have said. A few years ago, when taking the psych GRE as an undergrad I was making casual conversation with a woman and learned an interesting nugget. She was ready to graduate from a Psy.D. program at one of the online universities and her comprehensive exam was making a 700 on the Psych GRE subject test.

I dont know what comprehensive exams are like at other universities, but that is kind of astounding to me, in retrospect.

With online schools I think you get what you put into them. I finished my B.S. from University of Phoenix due to personal reasons (working full time, had a new baby etc...). Having said that, when looking to go to graduate school, I decided that a traditional brick and mortar was the way to go. I secured a full G.A. and am about to graduate with a 4.0. So I don't think you can make a blanket statement that UoP is horrible - it is what you make of it.