General Admissions & OTCAS University of Puget Sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The requirements for GPA are as follows:
Overall GPA of all baccalaureate work of 3.0 or better. If applicant has multiple degrees the GPA of the more recent degree completed is used as qualifier. Completed graduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 or better will qualify an applicant with a low undergraduate GPA.

In undergrad I received a 2.98 cumulative GPA due to a serious personal illness and taking care of my dying mom. Since graduation I raised my overall GPA well above the 3.0 requirements. Do you think there is any possibility of them even looking at my application?

Members don't see this ad.

yes ma'am! UPS is very holistic in how they admit applicants. i was accepted into the program and my overall cumulative GPA was technically a 2.9 (some extenuating circumstances in how different schools calculated my GPA but OTCAS calculated it as a 2.9). i remember i did e-mail admissions when i submitted my app asking if they wanted a supplemental statement regarding my GPA and they told me that my application would still be looked at anyway since they look at applicants holistically but that i could submit a statement if i wanted to. so i submitted a statement as well. it worked! you may want to do something similar. and another piece of advice...work, work, work on that supplemental essay. that's apparently a very important factor in their admissions decisions.

good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how strict they are about the GRE? Is it possible to get accepted without taking it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea about the GRE question. The GRE wasn't that bad. I would recommend taking it. :) Does anyone know if getting a letter or recommendation from an employer is mandatory?

They do say on the website one from an employer, a professor, and an OTR. Maybe you can ask them if they will accept another recommender?

Great! What do you suppose the chances are of getting in?

When I went to an information session earlier this year, I think I remember they said they accept volunteer supervisors sometimes. I agree with Runner103, it would be best to ask.

Just submitted my application to Puget Sound! What a relief....yet it will be an anxious wait! Anyone else apply?!

sorry i didn't come back to this thread until now, but i think the GRE is a requirement for admissions into the program and they won't look at your app without it - just one of those things. i also think the more closely you follow their directions regarding what they are asking for (e.g. letters of rec from specific types of people) the more it shows how seriously you would like to be considered for the program. that being said, i still think they are flexible and if you submit a rec letter from a volunteer supervisor instead of a employer supervisor, for instance, they would still accept that. i think the whole point of the different rec letters is to get an understanding of what you are like in different arenas - academically, in the OT world, and what your work ethic is like - if that makes sense.

i heard they've gotten close to 400 applicants this year. good luck y'all...hope to see you next fall!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I called the admissions office today. The faculty is meeting this week to make decisions and they are hoping to notify applicants next week. We should be hearing soon! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks @alliecatt for the update! Its good to know more of a concrete timeline! If I wasn't nervous earlier I sure am now!

Received a phone call from UPS this afternoon that I was accepted! Good luck everyone!

Congrats!! What were your stats if you do not mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a phone call today too!

Congrats to you as well! I didn't get a phone call, that can't be good news :/

Congrats!! What were your stats if you do not mind me asking?
Undergrad: USC
Cumulative GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 161 math, 155 verbal, 5 writing
50 hours at a school and early intervention clinic

I think my essay gave me an advantage because I visited the campus over the summer and was able to discuss that when they asked why I thought I was a good fit for the program. Good luck!!

I received a phone call yesterday that I was accepted into the program as well! I can't wait! I am from CA, so I have no idea how to begin with housing on/off campus. Can anyone help? thanks!

@usckt83 Wow those are great stats! Do you live in the area?

@OTgirl29 I didn't get a call either :( Hopefully they are still making calls!

Got an email late last night from Puget Sound saying to set up a Puget Sound account to check my status and I found out I am on the alternate list. More waiting but I am at least relieved because I know they have gone into their wait lists the past years.

Did either of you who were accepted hear anything about a scholarship?

Did either of you who were accepted hear anything about a scholarship?

I got a phone call Friday and was accepted! In the phone call, they said that they would send an official letter of acceptance with financial aid information and from their website it looks like there is no separate application for scholarships. (I think they offer them based on your application)

I was accepted on Friday as well!! I'm from out of state but I'm planning to visit the campus at the end of the week. If any accepted students want to meet up let me know :)

Got an email late last night from Puget Sound saying to set up a Puget Sound account to check my status and I found out I am on the alternate list. More waiting but I am at least relieved because I know they have gone into their wait lists the past years.
Do you think you could fill me in on how to set up an account to check my status? I haven't heard anything so I figure I should probably get on it!

Do you think you could fill me in on how to set up an account to check my status? I haven't heard anything so I figure I should probably get on it!

All the information about how to set up an account was in the email I received. I would try calling the OT department or the Admissions office at UPS if you haven't heard anything yet.

For those of you accepted first and foremost congrats! Also have any of you decided on if you will be accepting/denying your invite? UPS mentioned their deadline to hear back from their first round of acceptances is tomorrow the 13th. I am on the wait list and anxiously awaiting to hear more. Thanks in advance and good luck to all of you in your future careers:)

I'll be declining. Good luck, idahograd14!

Thanks for getting back to me! Where did you end up deciding to go?

UW! It was the program I was really hoping to get into, and a major plus is that I won't have to move.

I also declined my acceptance on Friday. I was actually quite sad to have to do so, but I am currently an undergrad at USC, and it made the most sense for me to stay here. Good luck to anyone waiting!

Declined my spot today so something should be opening up! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! :)

I received my acceptance to UPS last week. I'm hoping someone in the program can tell me if they like it, pros/cons, etc.

I received my acceptance to UPS last week. I'm hoping someone in the program can tell me if they like it, pros/cons, etc.
Hey there! Congratulations! I applied to UPS as well, and was curious how you found out about your acceptance?

Congrats!!! I applied there too! Still waiting. Did you get a letter through the mail or an email? :)

Hi @AshleyY77 and @ot.minette. I received a phone call from one of the faculty members last week. She said an email and a mailed letter would be coming soon.

Uh oh! I have not heard anything from the department yet - hopefully they tell all of us soon either way!

Uh oh! I have not heard anything from the department yet - hopefully they tell all of us soon either way!

I haven't received any word yet either. The wait is painful. Here's to staying positive and hoping acceptances are still being made. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also interested in hearing from current students about their experiences in the program! Also, I'm wondering about the average cost of apartments in the area. If anyone could shed any light on that, it would be greatly appreciated!

I got an email today that I have been placed on the alternate list. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear! :)

I received an email to start an account and another one stating that I have been selected as an alternate candidate. I would still like to keep the lines of communication open with all of you. It is my second year applying and my second time being placed on the waitlist. Bittersweet. Heartbroken I did not get that phone call but staying hopeful. Best of luck to all applicants.

Have any accepted students been notified about scholarship/fellowships?

I received a letter in the mail today saying that I was not accepted. hope you all hear better news!!

Have any accepted students been notified about scholarship/fellowships?
No, I have not been notified. I received the phone call, email, and letter. But, still no mention of scholarships/fellowships.

Does anyone know if we need to officially accept the offer before receiving scholarship information?

No, I have not been notified. I received the phone call, email, and letter. But, still no mention of scholarships/fellowships.

Does anyone know if we need to officially accept the offer before receiving scholarship information?

In the letter I received it says March 6. We should be receiving scholarship info before that but I just received my mail today and no mention of financial aid yet!

When they called me, they gave an offer of a fellowship. But it wasn't mentioned in the official letter I received yesterday.

Any updates on fellowship/scholarship offers from those still deciding if they will accept offer by march 6th deposit deadline? I'm in the process of trying to gain information from the university, thought id check in with fellow students as I wait for them to get back to me... its a tough decision for me whether to go to UPS or another school and the financial aspect will most likely steer my decision

I think I will be declining my acceptance to UPS. I was recently accepted to SJSU and I'm currently living in the area. I can't turn down the price of the tuition at SJSU even though the program at UPS seems great.