University of Sydney Medical School Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandrew6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm Pauline and I'm a Canadian student heading for Sydney, AU in February 2015 for medicine. I was looking for anyone else out there in my class. I saw that 45% of international students this year were Canadian, so I'm hoping to find some fellow Canucks- but even if you're not from Canada, it'd be nice to meet anyone in my class~

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Pauline, I'm heading to the University of Sydney for medicine from Canada as well.

What's up guys? I'm headed to Sydney as well, from the States. Do you all have any information about enrollment yet? I'm hoping they'll send out a list of students or something so we can start finding roommates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there.... I'm a first year int'l student at Usyd. It may sound weird but since your school year ends the same year you start in Australia, ya'll will be class of 2018 not 2019! Doesn't that sound nice? It's almost as if your finishing a year earlier! Anyways.... let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Aaron,
Many thanks for the offer of advice - a few (very specific) questions you might be able to help out with:
1) Where is the most feasible area to get a studio apt. for ~$300/week? Best living arrangements in general?
2) Approximately what proportion of students planning on taking the USMLEs take advantage of Sydney's 'flexible study arrangements'?
3) Do you know the proportion of NSW IMGs who received an intern position this/last year?
4) If you were to go back in time and move to Sydney all over again, what would you do differently to make the move easier?
Thanks!

Hi Aaron,
Many thanks for the offer of advice - a few (very specific) questions you might be able to help out with:
1) Where is the most feasible area to get a studio apt. for ~$300/week? Best living arrangements in general?
2) Approximately what proportion of students planning on taking the USMLEs take advantage of Sydney's 'flexible study arrangements'?
3) Do you know the proportion of NSW IMGs who received an intern position this/last year?
4) If you were to go back in time and move to Sydney all over again, what would you do differently to make the move easier?
Thanks!

Ahh you ask some complex questions and we could probably have a 45 minute convo about each. Ill try to answer them with some hindsight and not bog you down in too much information.

1) When you come here, you will get to know the city and public transportation, where your clinical school is etc etc and you will almost certainly move after your first year. Everybody I know is moving after first year and you will meet plenty of mates to move in with. It's impossible to figure out properly where you want to until your here for a bit because there are so many factors. Newtown is the safest bet in terms of closeness to the train, uni, most other students, and plenty of stuff to do. I recommend you just find a place in Newtown for the first year (maybe Sydney uni village) and then figure out where your going after. Bachelor places in Newtown run around 350.

2) I'm first year so I have no idea. I know I probably won't do it because it delays graduation until the subsequent year and, thus, internship is also delayed.

3) I'm not sure of the exact internship numbers..... check the HETI twitter page for updates as well as AMSA. The government is saying everyone who wants one got one but AMSA is saying this is not the case. The senate recently voted to guarantee IMG's internships so we will se where this goes.

4) Go to the registry and get a letter from them saying how long you have been licensed. Getting a license here will make getting into bars much less of a hassle. Aussie bouncers all have a long thick metal rod shoved far farrr up their ass and will randomly give you flack over you Canadian/US license not being valid.... it will ruin your night many times over. Also don't skimp on extra baggage. Everything in Australia is more expensive and it will very likely be cheaper to bring it here than to buy it here. When you arrive, just take a cab home and don't bother trying to figure out the train because its not that much cheaper (airport train tickets are ridiculously expensive) and a huge hassle with all your luggage.

My personal experience might help to shed some light on internship situation as of this year.

- I am considered Australian resident for the purpose of internship intake (2015)
- I am a QLD graduate
- I am considered P3 in NSW internship priority listing
- I have not gotten an internship in NSW this year
- I have received an internship in QLD
- Friends in my cohort (P2/P3), only 3 out of 20 received an internship in NSW
- International student from my cohort. 1 received an internship in QLD and other didn't get anything

Wow that doesn't sound too good. Hmmmmm didn't the graduates of sydney (internationals) all get a position last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well internship can change a lot by the time you graduate ( most likely to get worse) and priority can also change a lot
Thus, it's impossible to conclude that what happen to people now will be what you will experience in 2018/2019

you just need to prepare yourself for worst case scenario ( not have internship in Australia)

Aaron - many thanks again for the information

Bashwell - it seems getting PR is the way to go. Did you encounter any difficulty getting PR while a student, or know of any difficulties you might foresee for an international student applying for PR? I'm surprised that international students don't all get PR if it means a better shot at an internship... thanks!

Applying for PR in Australia as a mere student is impossible. You would either have to marry an Aussie and wait the required years before applying for PR, or be in a profession that is in the skills worker stream. Everyone would like to apply for PR but only a selected few would be able to.

Hi Pauline, I'm heading to the University of Sydney for medicine from Canada as well.

Oh man, I'm so sorry for letting this thread go! I didn't get any notifications about replies and totally forgot about it! Nice to meet you- where in Canada are you from? I'm in good 'ol Ontario.

Ahh you ask some complex questions and we could probably have a 45 minute convo about each. Ill try to answer them with some hindsight and not bog you down in too much information.

1) When you come here, you will get to know the city and public transportation, where your clinical school is etc etc and you will almost certainly move after your first year. Everybody I know is moving after first year and you will meet plenty of mates to move in with. It's impossible to figure out properly where you want to until your here for a bit because there are so many factors. Newtown is the safest bet in terms of closeness to the train, uni, most other students, and plenty of stuff to do. I recommend you just find a place in Newtown for the first year (maybe Sydney uni village) and then figure out where your going after. Bachelor places in Newtown run around 350.

2) I'm first year so I have no idea. I know I probably won't do it because it delays graduation until the subsequent year and, thus, internship is also delayed.

3) I'm not sure of the exact internship numbers..... check the HETI twitter page for updates as well as AMSA. The government is saying everyone who wants one got one but AMSA is saying this is not the case. The senate recently voted to guarantee IMG's internships so we will se where this goes.

4) Go to the registry and get a letter from them saying how long you have been licensed. Getting a license here will make getting into bars much less of a hassle. Aussie bouncers all have a long thick metal rod shoved far farrr up their ass and will randomly give you flack over you Canadian/US license not being valid.... it will ruin your night many times over. Also don't skimp on extra baggage. Everything in Australia is more expensive and it will very likely be cheaper to bring it here than to buy it here. When you arrive, just take a cab home and don't bother trying to figure out the train because its not that much cheaper (airport train tickets are ridiculously expensive) and a huge hassle with all your luggage.

Hi Aaron,

I was wondering if you could share how you found housing in Sydney when you first moved. Did you find roommates before, stay in residence, etc? I'm looking to figure out housing before I move down there, as I hear it's pretty competitive the closer you get to the start of the semester. Thanks for all your help!

Hello all,
I found out that U Syd is recertified for US Gov't Loans.
If my paperworks go through on time, I'll be attending USyd starting Feb. 2015

Do you guys know of any facebook group for the 2015 entrance of Faculty of Medicine?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I applied directly withe school.

Hello all,
I found out that U Syd is recertified for US Gov't Loans.
If my paperworks go through on time, I'll be attending USyd starting Feb. 2015

Do you guys know of any facebook group for the 2015 entrance of Faculty of Medicine?

Yay, congrats!

If you go onto Facebook and search Sydney Medical Program Class of 2018, you should find it. It's a closed group but you just request to join.

Just curious, if you guys are comfortable with it, could you share your entry stats for the MD 2019 admission?

Thank! :)