University of Toledo College of Medicine 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a call from Sandy. Is anyone still looking for a roommate or can you give me info about the housing situation? Sandy started to mention it but my brain kind of froze once I heard "we got to your name on the waitlist." Please, any advice about apts or anyone still looking for a roommate- let me know!
Lara
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a call from Sandy. Is anyone still looking for a roommate or can you give me info about the housing situation? Sandy started to mention it but my brain kind of froze once I heard "we got to your name on the waitlist." Please, any advice about apts or anyone still looking for a roommate- let me know!
Lara
[email protected]
I'd also try the UTCOM 2012 facebook group, there's info about housing there too.

here's the old housing guide from the class of 2011:
http://utcom2011.wikispaces.com/Housing

Off the top of my head, places I'd recommend:

Fox Chase, nice but a bit expensive if you don't have a roomie
Linda and Susan Arms Apts (great management, I'll be moving there in Aug)

Places I'd avoid:
Briar Cliff Woods- A friend of mine lives there and they really don't do a good job keeping up the place (at least not as good as others I've seen)
Hunters Ridge is no longer an option, due to a recent fire.

Can't really speak first hand for any others, but I know people that lived at:
The Ridge
Quail Hollow
Oasis

Those would be places worth checking out.

EDIT: Also, congrats and welcome!

Congrats!!!!

On another note--anyone else notice that parking increased from $190 to $285??? At first I was thinking "WTF!" But then I thought about it, and it occurred to me that I'm really happy to be paying $285. Shoot, I'd pay $500! I'm just so excited to be starting school right now I don't even care about money at the moment. I'm sure that will come back and bite me on the @$$ when I'm struggling to repay my loans...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Toledo students ride the city buses free with their student IDs? Just being hopeful. Is that $190 really just for fall semester and then another $190 for spring? That's just ridiculous.

No, students don't get to ride the city buses free.

where is everyone seeing these itemized prices for parking etc...im assuming i recieved my Fin Aid at the same time as most of you and i havent seen any specific bills or fees

I just completed my application for Ohio Residency (hopefully it's complete)...

off the top of my head, these are the documents you'll want to have handy this time next year:
-Birth Certificate
-W2's from the previous calendar year if you worked
-Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
-Federal/State income tax forms (resident for Ohio, Non-Resident for the state you're leaving)
-Copies of your financial aid awards and amounts of dispersements (hopefully they accept your student account statements, I substituted that and some other docs from the financial aid office)
-A copy of your Lease
-A copy of your Driver's License

(you'll need to get the application notarized, most banks can do this)

I'll add to this list if I can think of anything else. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but worth it for a few hundred grand.

where is everyone seeing these itemized prices for parking etc...im assuming i recieved my Fin Aid at the same time as most of you and i havent seen any specific bills or fees

Click on the self service tab. Click where it says view/pay your bill in the middle of the page. Select the Fall 2008 semester and you will see it.

Also, the parking permit changed back to $95!!!:clap:

I just completed my application for Ohio Residency (hopefully it's complete)...

off the top of my head, these are the documents you'll want to have handy this time next year:
-Birth Certificate
-W2's from the previous calendar year if you worked
-Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
-Federal/State income tax forms (resident for Ohio, Non-Resident for the state you're leaving)
-Copies of your financial aid awards and amounts of dispersements (hopefully they accept your student account statements, I substituted that and some other docs from the financial aid office)
-A copy of your Lease
-A copy of your Driver's License

(you'll need to get the application notarized, most banks can do this)

I'll add to this list if I can think of anything else. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but worth it for a few hundred grand.

Do you know when we have to get these documents into the financial aid office?

Do you know when we have to get these documents into the financial aid office?

There's an application you have to fill out, attach the docs to it where appropriate:
http://bursarsoffice.utoledo.edu/Forms/Residence Application with revised guidelines.pdf

You need to get it to Rocket Hall on Main Campus (just off Secor). Room 1800 is under construction, talk to someone in the cashier's office across the hall and they'll get it to the Bursar.

My understanding is that if you're applying for this semester, you should get it in soon.

There's an application you have to fill out, attach the docs to it where appropriate:
http://bursarsoffice.utoledo.edu/Forms/Residence Application with revised guidelines.pdf

You need to get it to Rocket Hall on Main Campus (just off Secor). Room 1800 is under construction, talk to someone in the cashier's office across the hall and they'll get it to the Bursar.

My understanding is that if you're applying for this semester, you should get it in soon.

I stopped by the financial aid office today and picked up the instate residency form (they actually directed me to the registrar's office). The form they gave me was different from the one posted here. It also didn't say anything about having it submitted 30 days before the start of the new semester (although it should obviously be submitted as soon as possible). They also said that I could turn the form back into the registrar's office on the health science campus. I asked the lovely ladies working in the fin. aid office if I should take out enough loans to cover out of state tuition for the beginning of the semester and expect a refund of money during/end of the semester once I get the in-state residency status, but as is too often the case with that office, they just looked at me and said "I don't know you should ask the registrar's office that".

I stopped by the financial aid office today and picked up the instate residency form (they actually directed me to the registrar's office). The form they gave me was different from the one posted here. It also didn't say anything about having it submitted 30 days before the start of the new semester (although it should obviously be submitted as soon as possible). They also said that I could turn the form back into the registrar's office on the health science campus. I asked the lovely ladies working in the fin. aid office if I should take out enough loans to cover out of state tuition for the beginning of the semester and expect a refund of money during/end of the semester once I get the in-state residency status, but as is too often the case with that office, they just looked at me and said "I don't know you should ask the registrar's office that".

*shrug*

hopefully the form I used will work. I'm glad there wasn't the 30 day requirement on your form... I was sweating that.

My plan is to accept every loan for now and hope that the IS residency takes before the dispersements.

It's a lot easier to cancel a loan than scramble for more money when you're coming up short.

I'm pretty sure the form they gave you is the same form they sent out to all incoming MS1's. It is pretty much the same thing (same requirements) as the one Depakote posted except his is more detailed.

Quick last minute question:

What is the attire for orientation? I would just show up wearing business casual if I do not hear otherwise, but since it sounded like they're getting us T-shirts maybe jeans are more appropriate. Just wondering...

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick last minute question:

What is the attire for orientation? I would just show up wearing business casual if I do not hear otherwise, but since it sounded like they're getting us T-shirts maybe jeans are more appropriate. Just wondering...

You should get more info on this as it gets closer, but...

If it's like last year, the first day, you'll be taking pictures for your ID badges. So dress wearing what you'd want to have in that photo.

I'd at least go business casual. Some people wore ties, not required. I just went with khakis and a nice shirt.

You'll get t-shirts, but you don't wear them immediately.

The rest of the week is a bit more casual, I don't recall that there's any required dress code except for a few of the events like the BBQ at a faculty members house where you'd want to at least look somewhat presentable (business casual).

I'd say that business casual is probably a safe bet for most of the week, maybe a little more lax on some days once you know what the schedule is going to be.

I'm still trying to figure out everything for the financial aid, :oops: some of the promissory notes ask to choose a lender, i'm not sure which lenders to choose or even what they offer.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or which ones did you choose?

I'm still trying to figure out everything for the financial aid, :oops: some of the promissory notes ask to choose a lender, i'm not sure which lenders to choose or even what they offer.
Does anyone have any suggestions, or which ones did you choose?

I just went with the direct lender that UT selects... you only need to list a different lender if you've shopped around for different deals.

I just went with the direct lender that UT selects... you only need to list a different lender if you've shopped around for different deals.

At the beginning of last year, UTCOM had one lender that everyone borrowed from. I'm pretty sure that we now get a choice of lender (last semester I know there were 3 choices), and the financial aid department can't really tell us which one we "should" pick. Each has their positives and negatives, so just read about them and choose one. You should be able to find a list of the lenders UT is using through our Office of Student Life (OSL - main floor of Mulford Library).

I'm not sure how things have changed since we are now working with the main campus department.

I decided to take the federal direct plan instead of a bank lender since the interest rates were better (on the grad PLUS especially) and the initial fees were lower. UTs financial aid site has all the info you'll need, just have to do a little reading =)

At the beginning of last year, UTCOM had one lender that everyone borrowed from. I'm pretty sure that we now get a choice of lender (last semester I know there were 3 choices), and the financial aid department can't really tell us which one we "should" pick. Each has their positives and negatives, so just read about them and choose one. You should be able to find a list of the lenders UT is using through our Office of Student Life (OSL - main floor of Mulford Library).

I'm not sure how things have changed since we are now working with the main campus department.

I'm just going to admit that I have very little clue how the financial aid process works... :confused:

Side note: You guys should check out the test prep week forum... summary: win free stuff. I'd hold off signing up for the USMLE prep stuff this year, save that for the 2nd years (like me), but there's plenty of texts and stuff you can win and make use out of... looked like some good anatomy stuff in there.

Sorry posting this in here but couldnt find a secondary thread..

So I'm a one year graduate do I need a letter of recommendation for what ive been doing for the past yr, or can I still count in the category of recent graduate

If you are not a recent college graduate, we will need in addition to the above, a letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your most recent activities since you left college. Additional letters of recommendation are accepted.

...and I submitted a committee letter with 3 letters from professors who may have mentioned I was wroking, and 1MD writer, and of course the committee letter

So I'm a one year graduate do I need a letter of recommendation for what ive been doing for the past yr, or can I still count in the category of recent graduate

If you are not a recent college graduate, we will need in addition to the above, a letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your most recent activities since you left college. Additional letters of recommendation are accepted.

...and I submitted a committee letter with 3 letters from professors who may have mentioned I was wroking, and 1MD writer, and of course the committee letter

here you go

(I would say try to get a LOR that covers what you've been doing over the past year, but you can always check with the school)

im finally all moved in to Toledo! woo!

so is the health education building easy to find...i guess thats where orientation is the first day

so is the health education building easy to find...i guess thats where orientation is the first day

Just follow the other 180 confused looking people.:laugh:

My question is where do we park on the first day. Since parking requires a permit and isn't free anymore.

Just follow the other 180 confused looking people.:laugh:

My question is where do we park on the first day. Since parking requires a permit and isn't free anymore.

Health Ed's easy to find. Park in Lot 43 (right in front of Health Ed)

They won't ticket on the first day.

You should get more info on this as it gets closer, but...

If it's like last year, the first day, you'll be taking pictures for your ID badges. So dress wearing what you'd want to have in that photo.

I'd at least go business casual. Some people wore ties, not required. I just went with khakis and a nice shirt.

You'll get t-shirts, but you don't wear them immediately.

The rest of the week is a bit more casual, I don't recall that there's any required dress code except for a few of the events like the BBQ at a faculty members house where you'd want to at least look somewhat presentable (business casual).

I'd say that business casual is probably a safe bet for most of the week, maybe a little more lax on some days once you know what the schedule is going to be.

I guess the only thing I would add/change is business casual at the most. Business casual for the first day, the other days jeans/shorts are fine. Just don't look like a slob at the faculty/staff BBQ ... jeans are fine for that too.

I would only submit a letter from the past year if you think it strengthens your application. If you're just adding it for the sake of formality, but it doesn't add any new info to your application I wouldn't include it.

I'm here too! Of course, every single person (from the vet to the cable guy) asks why in the hell we moved from Colorado to Toledo, Ohio...oh well.

We found a house to rent on the more nothern end of Toledo. Hopefully the 15-20 minute drive isn't too bad. We didn't want a condo, and that seemed to be the only thing near-ish to school in our price range.

My husband just got a job, so I filed the petition for immediate in-state tuition. *Fingers crossed* Hopefully they okay it.

hey guys i was wondering when we get our refund checks..

i think my rent is due the first of september and im not sure when we get out money from our fin aid

hopefully its soon!

hey guys i was wondering when we get our refund checks..

i think my rent is due the first of september and im not sure when we get out money from our fin aid

hopefully its soon!

Not 100% sure on this one. I'm pretty sure you would get it before Sep. 1st but I'm not positive about that. One thing you could do is go to the fin. aid office and fill out a form for direct deposit into your bank account. If you do that, you would get your refund earlier than if the check were mailed to you.

Student Accounts says they direct deposited into my account on 8/23 of last year.

I think that was the first day of real classes (not counting orientation). If that's the trend, hopefully we'll get our dispersements on the 25th of this year. I'd try to sign up for Direct Deposit if you haven't already.

Do we need to bring anything with us on Monday? Just our beautiful smiling selves?

Do we need to bring anything with us on Monday? Just our beautiful smiling selves?

You'll get a binder and various hand-outs, and some swag. I'd bring a pen, but I don't think you need anything specific (disregard this if you hear something contrary from an orientation leader).

I'm here too! Of course, every single person (from the vet to the cable guy) asks why in the hell we moved from Colorado to Toledo, Ohio...oh well.

We found a house to rent on the more nothern end of Toledo. Hopefully the 15-20 minute drive isn't too bad. We didn't want a condo, and that seemed to be the only thing near-ish to school in our price range.

My husband just got a job, so I filed the petition for immediate in-state tuition. *Fingers crossed* Hopefully they okay it.

haha bioteach, i would ask too if i was one of them :)
congrats to you and your husband!! that's great news if you can save like 30,000 right away, good luck on that and I'll see you in the morning!

Good luck in your first week of class everyone!

Hey guys. I've been accepted for next year's class and I'm trying to get an idea for cost of living for the area and how close you guys stick the COA/budget the fin aid office determines. I've got 3 acceptances right now and tuition is fairly similar among them so I'm taking a closer look at cost of living.

I'm finding a huge disparity between schools in the amount they budget for different categories (Transportation School A: $1000 Transportation School B: $3500). I realize rent is obviously different between different cities, but there are enormous differences in amounts budgeted for personal costs, food, transportation, etc. by the various schools.

What's your experience? How close do you guys stick to the school's COA?