UNLV rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kokobean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i got an email today from UNLV saying they "do not want to review my application further."

this is depressing. :(

Thank you for your interest in the UNLV School of Dental Medicine. This year we anticipate over fifteen hundred applications for the seventy-five positions available. This large number of highly qualified applicants makes admission to the School of Dental Medicine extremely competitive. While this is a positive situation for the school, it does necessitate numerous difficult decisions for the Admissions Committee. After careful review of your application, the Admissions Committee has arrived at the decision not to consider your application further.

If you are interested in applying for fall, 2008 admission, you must reapply through AADSAS. If you would like to have your supporting documentation transferred from your fall, 2007 application, please write to us with this request.

The following information is included to give you an understanding of what the Admissions Committee considers when selecting candidates. Likewise, it is intended to assist you in determining the areas in which you need improvement and/or additional experiences. Please keep in mind these are general recommendations. Not all of the suggestions will pertain to your specific application.

Ø In addition to completing the prerequisite courses, anatomy, physiology, histology, sculpture, public speaking, psychology, business and computer classes will be helpful.

Ø Not only does the Admissions Committee value academic success but we consider practical experience to be enormously beneficial as well. This may include working as a paid employee, as a volunteer, or merely observing or shadowing in a dental or other health related practice.

Ø Many of our strongest candidates are enrolled in or have completed graduate level studies in the sciences, an experience that has provided them with a broader, more comprehensive foundation for the rigors of a dental curriculum.

Ø A supplemental essay is often valuable in explaining vague, inconsistent, or unique areas of a candidate’s application or curriculum vitae. Candidates may discuss their participation in activities that demonstrate their manual dexterity - sculpting, painting, dental lab work, etc.

On the whole, the Admissions Committee at UNLV seeks to enroll well-rounded students. Those students exhibiting strong communication skills, maturity, community participation, a knowledge of and a strong commitment to Dental Medicine, in addition to academic strength, will be considered most competitive. We thank you for the time and effort you put into the application process and offer our best wishes for your success.

Sincerely,

Christine C. Ancajas, DDS

Director of Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

You should call admissions and ask them how you can strengthen it. It could help you at another school this year.

give us more information...they didn't reject you based on your GPA or DAT score

Members don't see this ad :)
GeauxTigers said:
give us more information...they didn't reject you based on your GPA or DAT score

they didn't say specifically

My rejection is probably on the way too :( .

When was your application sent out?

KHANSAHAAB said:
My rejection is probably on the way too :( .

When was your application sent out?

Mailed out July 3rd. My secondary got sent the same time I clicked the "submit" button in AADSAS, May 31st.

kokobean said:
Mailed out July 3rd. My secondary got sent the same time I clicked the "submit" button in AADSAS, May 31st.

Obviously you are not a competitive applicant

#1) UC Berkeley is an easy school.
#2) 3.83 is way below avg for UNLV
#3) are you kidding me? Do you expect to get into UNLV with 23/22??!!! Retake the DAT and aim for high 20s.

JM7 said:
Obviously you are not a competitive applicant

#1) UC Berkeley is an easy school.
#2) 3.83 is way below avg for UNLV
#3) are you kidding me? Do you expect to get into UNLV with 23/22??!!! Retake the DAT and aim for high 20s.

is this sarcasm?

it must be some weird technical problem because otherwise your stats are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above UNLV's averages.

I think koko did the prereqs at a CC. I remember you saying that UCSF had issues with this, maybe UNLV does also.

holy crap...that's just....wow. Sorry. Those schools are missing out I guess. Hopefully my rejection isn't on its way too.

this is crazy..awesome scores, gpa and they still reject you? I am realllllllly scared now

Yeah, I took my prerequisites at a CC. And I'm completing my bachelors in a year at the UC. If no one accepts me, I don't know what I'm going to do for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
EmanUT said:
I think koko did the prereqs at a CC. I remember you saying that UCSF had issues with this, maybe UNLV does also.
I think the problem is less that she has CC prereqs, and more that she hasn't yet taken any classes at a university.

Koko, that sucks! But remember, there are still a number of schools you haven't heard back from yet, and I'm sure at least a few will recognize your accomplishments! Good luck!

Damn, yea i would call admissions and ask them what is wrong with your application. Your GPA and DAT are good enough to get into harvard or any other school in the nation but those are just part of your application. Did you kill someone or something? jk..i have a question though. Are you a third year student trying to get in without a bachelor's degree or are you going to graduate this spring? If you are trying to get in early, that could be the problem...like someone else said..it could be because you haven't taken any upper level science classes at a 4-year institution..im just guessing, i dont know your background.

PlanB21 said:
Damn, yea i would call admissions and ask them what is wrong with your application. Your GPA and DAT are good enough to get into harvard or any other school in the nation but those are just part of your application. Did you kill someone or something? jk..i have a question though. Are you a third year student trying to get in without a bachelor's degree or are you going to graduate this spring? If you are trying to get in early, that could be the problem...like someone else said..it could be because you haven't taken any upper level science classes at a 4-year institution..im just guessing, i dont know your background.

you and armorshell are right. I just transferred from a CC to a 4-year, so I only have 2 grades so far of upper division courses. I'm trying to finish my degree this year, so that I graduate in summer 2007. I'm sure things would have been a lot different if I just went straight to a 4-year right out of high school, but money's always a factor...

i'm hoping UoP might be kind. They're always hanging out at my CC getting people to apply to their pharmacy programs straight out of CC without finishing their degree and i know some people who have gotten accepted too!

o well. praypray.

Koko I remember you had a problem for the pre-req., My suggestion to you is to clearify that so that you can at least have chances at other school. I do not understand why they did this but just for the record, I was invited for interview there in March for waitlist spot (with stat of 3.9 GPA/DAT 21/22/18). I understand your disappointment but I guess calling the admission office and talking to Dr. Ancajas might be a good approach to know why exactly you were rejected.

Best of Luck

No, CC is fine out of high school if you cannot afford to go to a 4 year institution right off the bat..adcoms now this..its just, from what the director of the prehealth committee at my college told me, that professional schools like to see your coursework and grades for 3-4 semesters at the new institution BEFORE applying..now that you have told me that u are trying to graduate early..that is likely reason for your rejection. Do not be suprised if you do not get into a school at all this cycle...It has nothing to do with your stats..its more because of your lack of experience at a 4 year institute IMO.

Don't worry about it... there's still plenty of time to get interviews! GOOD LUCK! :)

Koko:

How did u get rejection from UCSF?? U received a rejection letter or what?

i have a feeling ucla and usc will show you some love.

DDS:) said:
Koko:

How did u get rejection from UCSF?? U received a rejection letter or what?

I got an email actually. the letter seemed more directed to me, and clearly stated why I was rejected... i didnt have enough course credit from a 4-year institution.

Don't sweat it, kokobean. Just apply anyway to the other schools (let them know your situation) while taking more upper division classes this fall and spring. Graduating early is convenient, but I can only recommend that for 4-year college students. If you are from community college, then you really need those 2 years of upper division courses from a major college to show the adcoms that you can handle that level of academics. I would not recommend graduating early, but you may find a school or two that doesn't mind it. In that case, see if the interviews come anyway. If they don't happen this time, next year they will. Your stats are awesome.