Unsure where to go from here..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsureformerprern

Reaction score
Okay so here's my problem. I'm 25 years old, and when I was in high school, I thought that I was going to work as a secretary for the rest of my life and didn't care about my grades. I decided my second year of college that I would go into nursing. I boosted my GPA up enough to get into and stay in nursing school. Ended up failing out of nursing due to external circumstances. Now my transcript is garbage and so is my GPA, but I can't seem to let go of the dream (that i discovered while in nursing school) to go into something in the Medical Field. I would love to be a doctor, but I understand that it might not be possible anymore. My academic advisor is zero help and I really just need to a pre-med advisor but my school doesn't have those. Does anyone have any suggestions on either a private advisor or how I can dig myself out of this hole that Teenage/Early 20's me dug me into?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly kudos to you! I remember my sister made the same transition a few years ago and she used a consulting service to help her with her apps and interview prep. I think it really helped her alleviate the pressures a little bit. The process is already stressful enough as it is so there's no shame in getting that extra help and jumpstarting your career sooner than later. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What type of program are you in now? Are you wanting to go to medical school, or do you want to consider other medically-related fields? What is your motivation for medicine? Why did you "fail" in nursing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I worry if you failed out of Nursing school. I'm not sure what the external issue was, nor do I expect you disclose. However, semesters and grades do not usually sneak up on someone. A person who is truly concerned about their academic performance does things to mitigate when outside things are bad (leave of absence, withdraw, etc).

The academic rigors of medical school are intense (if medical school is your goal).

A rigorous post-bacc may be your best choice eventually. If you do well in that academically, you will prove to ad coms that you are likely able to also handle the rigors of medical school. If you just finish a degree in business with your pre-recs thrown in, I would be worried about med school performance based on failing out of nursing school.

Good luck and study hard.