UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HELP! So I finally secured a third letter that I know is strong. I didnt include it in the original application cause I wasn't sure if I would get it, so my app originally was marked completed as of 1/14/19, but I just added the third letter on the application portal and sent the letter via interfolio. Does that mean that I will have a new completed date (3/1/19) or do I keep the first one? I feel like I might have shot myself in the foot ( @DoogieHowser123 lol thanks for this phrase) if it did move my date to a later completed date, but I think the pros outweighed the cons. This is a strong letter from a professor that knows me well sooo.. idk this is making me nervous >.<

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No i doubt that would be a negative, if anything it can only help your chances at being selected for admission especially if the letter is as strong as you say it is.

Cool! thanks. This is a totally different topic but do you happen to know what is meant by "available for pick up" on USPS tracking online? I sent a package with my transcripts to Texas Tech and it should've arrived to the Grad school today at 12 noon, but instead it says its at the post office in Lubbock and says "ready for pick up". Does this mean ready for pick up by mail carrier? Or is it expecting someone from Texas Tech to pick it up? That's not what I requested. I specifically wrote Texas Tech address. Freaking out cause they're due today! Currently on hold with USPS (35-52 min hold -____- )

EDIT: for anyone sending things to TTUHSC in the future. Letters are not sent directly to the university (even though that's the address you write). Texas Tech mail person goes to post office only once at 7AM each day to do a pick up of mail sent to TTUHSC. The lady I spoke to was nice and said as long as everything else is submitted by deadline (today), its okay if transcripts aren't in. PHEW!

Last edited:
It changes every year we were given a 13.3' Macbook pro with 512 GB SSD and 16 GB ram non touch bar model. However, I've heard they are considering giving y'all MacBook airs and using the savings to include an ipad in the package. Personally i think they would be smart to stick with the MBP, but unfortunately for y'all i'm not one of the students involved in making the recommendation. Then again maybe y'all would prefer the latter package, but IMO the MacBook air is a huge step down.

Also if i remember correctly they give out details on the tech package 1-2 weeks before orientation.

Wait so do we have to ‘buy’ it? Or is it included in the tuition/ fees. And do we keep it 5ever or is it returned after a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, I applied on Wednesday night, so basically Thursday.

I haven’t heard anything from the schools I submitted secondaries to so I’m going to assume I didn’t get in.

For those of you who applied near the deadline, how long before I hear something back once all my materials are in?

How did you guys do your MCAT scores?

I uploaded my score report to the supporting documents part of the application, but my account says it needs to be submitted to TMDSAS? I don't even have a TMDSAS account, but I guess I could make one if I have to.

Our average MCAT was 500 and our average GPA I think was around 3.3
Quick question, how did you send your offical mcat scores to them? For some reason, they're having problems receiving mine.

It says on the application instructions to attach the score report in the supplemental documents part. You dont need a TMDSAS account, you just need to log into AAMC and generate a score report (it's one of the tabs in the page where you view your scores) That document has a link that they can use to verify your scores.

It says on the application instructions to attach the score report in the supplemental documents part. You dont need a TMDSAS account, you just need to log into AAMC and generate a score report (it's one of the tabs in the page where you view your scores) That document has a link that they can use to verify your scores.
Wait is this for UNT? If so sorry i was referring to the TTU .

Can those interested in TTU start a separate thread? It’s getting confusing

Reactions: 3 users
sorry if this was already asked but for those who got accepted did your status go from received to accepted or was there something in between ?

Has another round of acceptances gone out yet?

Not that I'm aware of. Someone on here said that in a previous cycle, they started sending invites at the end of February and continued announcing every two weeks. So far, they did start at the end of February, so I guess the 2 week wait will be the same as previous cycles.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
sorry if this was already asked but for those who got accepted did your status go from received to accepted or was there something in between ?
Where are seeing your status? Is it under the grad/hsc tab?

Not that I'm aware of. Someone on here said that in a previous cycle, they started sending invites at the end of February and continued announcing every two weeks. So far, they did start at the end of February, so I guess the 2 week wait will be the same as previous cycles.
Looking at the threads for the previous years, it seems like it might actually be every week.

there are only 21 members in the facebook group currently so that's a bit comforting to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine didn't but I read somewhere that someone's changed to 'reviewed'? My status was "applicant" until I got the acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Mine didn't but I read somewhere that someone's changed to 'reviewed'? My status was "applicant" until I got the acceptance.

where do you see this? Under the "Grad/HSC Admissions" tab? For me on that page, under status it says "application" not applicant lol.

I've submitted my transcript about a month and a half ago and it's still showing up on my to do list. I submitted another one the other day just in case -- did anyone else have a similar problem?

I've submitted my transcript about a month and a half ago and it's still showing up on my to do list. I submitted another one the other day just in case -- did anyone else have a similar problem?

Mine was processed 5 days after being sent via USPS. You should give the GSBS office a call/email, they are pretty responsive.

Also, did you have tracking?

Mine was processed 5 days after being sent via USPS. You should give the GSBS office a call/email, they are pretty responsive.

Also, did you have tracking?
Oh no, I didn't have tracking since the office submits the transcript... Do you know what number or email I use to contact?

Oh no, I didn't have tracking since the office submits the transcript... Do you know what number or email I use to contact?
When you call, ask them when they are going to release another round of decisions please ;):nod:

Has anyone called to see if they've started reviewing apps? Or applied early and called to see if they're been reviewed? Anticipation is killing me AHH
My status changed from “Application” to “Reviewed” to “Pending” over the course of the last 3-4 weeks, so it looks like things are moving. I submitted in mid-November. From what I’ve gathered from friends that have called, “pending” isn’t a bad place to be, but I haven’t heard back about a firm yes or no. Waiting is killing me!!!

My status changed from “Application” to “Reviewed” to “Pending” over the course of the last 3-4 weeks, so it looks like things are moving. I submitted in mid-November. From what I’ve gathered from friends that have called, “pending” isn’t a bad place to be, but I haven’t heard back about a firm yes or no. Waiting is killing me!!!

Can you do a screenshot? Where does it say that?

So you're possibly on the "maybe" pile? Hope they see your potential and move you to the YES! pile. Good luck!!!!

Who else is from early January? Marked completed 1/14 and it still says "received" >.< Praying they get to my app on this next round of reviewing!

Idk if this makes anyone feel better but mine never said reviewed. It was just "received" or "application" up until I got accepted.

@current/former students of med sci, what’s the schedule like in the summer? Is it a full course load/what’s the amount of free time you have?

edited: also, if anyone is a current student, i'd really like to ask a few questions about the program!

Last edited:
@current/former students of med sci, what’s the schedule like in the summer? Is it a full course load/what’s the amount of free time you have?

edited: also, if anyone is a current student, i'd really like to ask a few questions about the program!

Throughout this program, the most amount of free time you'll have will be during the summer. We had a couple of workshops at the beginning which ended sometime in mid June (I think). We also had biostats throughout the summer (ended late July or early August). Some people also took biochem (optional) and the MCAT course (depends on MCAT score).
You'll have time to apply to med schools, study for your mcat or do both.

Man I didn't even notice this thread went up.
2017-18 MedSci graduate here. Willing to answer any questions.

Would you mind answering the same questions we asked everyone else if it's not too much trouble! -- stats, when you applied, when you got accepted! Thank you

Would you mind answering the same questions we asked everyone else if it's not too much trouble! -- stats, when you applied, when you got accepted! Thank you

GPA: 3.4 (4.0 in MedSci)
MCAT: 509 (Retook following the TPR course during MedSci; increased significantly)
Applied literally the last possible day due to one of my rec letter writers delaying repeatedly due to a personal significant life event.
Got in the first week of April.

are currently in medical school or waited until after the program to apply? If you waited can you talk about how this degree and your performance were perceived by medical schools? And all the other general questions others have asked as well :)

are currently in medical school or waited until after the program to apply? If you waited can you talk about how this degree and your performance were perceived by medical schools? And all the other general questions others have asked as well :)

- Not currently in medical school. Pre-Matched to two schools, Matched to TX MD, interviewed at BCM and praying for an acceptance call from them.
- Waited until after the program.
- I waited because I had heard horror stories about being seen as a "reapplicant" - i.e. Needing to show some sort of improvement. I think waiting until after the program was a significant factor in my success. The GPA + MCAT improvements tied in very closely with my application/story. (Think "late bloomer"/"medicine not first choice" kind of thing)
The program also offered some EC's which, again, helped pull everything together and make my story cohesive.

Don't have time to scroll through all the questions right now since I'm going on a short trip this weekend, but I'll try if I have some free time!
Also happy to respond to DM's if needed.

Reactions: 2 users
My checklist is complete.

Guess I'll twiddle my thumbs while my future hangs in the balance..

man will we hear anything this week because it might be spring break? :-/

man will we hear anything this week because it might be spring break? :-/

I was just wondering the same thing. If they're still following the acceptances every 2 weeks, as in previous cycles, then 2 weeks will be tomorrow? I think all schools close for spring break but not until like Wednesday, right? So we MIGHT hear from them tomorrow. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

- Not currently in medical school. Pre-Matched to two schools, Matched to TX MD, interviewed at BCM and praying for an acceptance call from them.
- Waited until after the program.
- I waited because I had heard horror stories about being seen as a "reapplicant" - i.e. Needing to show some sort of improvement. I think waiting until after the program was a significant factor in my success. The GPA + MCAT improvements tied in very closely with my application/story. (Think "late bloomer"/"medicine not first choice" kind of thing)
The program also offered some EC's which, again, helped pull everything together and make my story cohesive.

Don't have time to scroll through all the questions right now since I'm going on a short trip this weekend, but I'll try if I have some free time!
Also happy to respond to DM's if needed.

What are these "horror stories"? I plan on applying while still completing the program. I know I wont be able to show all my grades, but I really don't want YET another gap year :( plus, during undergrad courses I showed a major upward trend (straight As) and have kept up with that. My only down side is the MCAT, which im hoping if I get accepted into UNT, I will be able to improve that after taking their MCAT prep course. Sigh. so many things to think about, it's overwhelming!

What are these "horror stories"? I plan on applying while still completing the program. I know I wont be able to show all my grades, but I really don't want YET another gap year :( plus, during undergrad courses I showed a major upward trend (straight As) and have kept up with that. My only down side is the MCAT, which im hoping if I get accepted into UNT, I will be able to improve that after taking their MCAT prep course. Sigh. so many things to think about, it's overwhelming!
Individuals who did not address other shortcomings in their application during the program, generally due to time management (Juggling apps+classes+volunteering and the like). I just really wanted to put my absolute best foot forward on my very first app.

It was really more of a personal fear of mine. Your mileage may vary.