UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooooo many questions.. Do y’all think this is covid related or something the had been planning more longterm? Also do y’all think this can increase the number of admitted applicants?
Covid related. It might allow them to accept more but I have heard no evidence that they intend to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They might can admit more people but then the competitiveness of the DO program will increase and fewer than 80% will be admitted to their DO program. That’s what makes them stand out as a Post Bac program and I don’t think they’d compromise that by admitting more people.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I thought I'd jump on the train!
I submitted my app on 1/9 and it was complete around 1/24. My portal said "application received" for the longest time (even though I had nothing on my to do list) until I recently emailed GSBS and asked them if it was actually complete and they told me it was and that they just didn't update my portal. So now my application finally says "application is complete" and based on my most recent email to GSBS, it's been prepared for review by the adcom.

Kinda nervous as to how admissions will work out with COVID-19...especially since the program starts at the end of May. Hoping for the best tho! Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Y'all, just wondering where you are from? Anyone from out of state applying to this program?

is anyones status still marked as 'complete' instead of under review?

I'm still as complete submitted 2/18, but my last transcript didn't get to them 3/11. So I'm probably towards the end of the applications.

Mine still says complete instead of under review. I submitted everything last minute because I only heard of this program a few days before the deadline.

Decisions were just emailed!!!!!

Hey guys I got the email and was accepted!! looking forward to meeting you all! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decisions were just emailed!!!!!
Sorry about double post. Mind sharing some info, date submitted, date completed, date under review, GPA and MCAT. Completely understand if want to leave out the last two. Thanks!

Mine still says complete, nothing about being under review. At least I know now things are moving.
Congrats! Mind sharing some info, date submitted, date completed, date under review, GPA and MCAT. Completely understand if want to leave out the last two. Thanks!

I think everyone who got a decision should submit the dates as some people are still not even reviewed yet.

Can you share your stats?

Submitted: 1/22/2020
Complete: 1/29/2020
Date under review: 3/30/2020
GPA: 3.58
MCAT: 513
Have to accept by 4/15/2020 before 8:00am

Last edited:
Hi I got in today and submitted on 12/31. My rec letters didn’t come in until mid January. I was under review by February 21ish. My gpa was a 3.25 and MCAT 507. My stats were not amazing but I do also already have a master’s in education (high school science and special education) and have been working in education for ~3 years. I think those points made up for my C’s and D in undergrad chemistry classes :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi I got in today and submitted on 12/31. My rec letters didn’t come in until mid January. I was under review by February 21ish. My gpa was a 3.25 and MCAT 507. My stats were not amazing but I do also already have a master’s in education (high school science and special education) and have been working in education for ~3 years. I think those points made up for my C’s and D in undergrad chemistry classes :)
Congratulations!!

I have been admitted as well! Application completed 1/31 and went under review a few days ago. I never got an email but it says it on the portal. Stats were
MCAT: 502
GPA: 3.6

Reactions: 4 users
I have been admitted as well! Application completed 1/31 and went under review a few days ago. I never got an email but it says it on the portal. Stats were
MCAT: 502
GPA: 3.6
Congratulations

ADMITTED!!!!
Submitted 2/6/2020
Under Review 3/30/2020
3.65 GPA
492 MCAT

How big is this class because I heard it was a pretty big class size. I hope people who are still waiting, keep high hopes. I was worried about my low MCAT score but I was admitted!

Reactions: 2 users
Just received my acceptance email.

Definitely surprised by the above posters at their stats (being on the higher side).

I do have an acceptance to another Master's program. Can anyone chime in on why they picked this program over others?

Reactions: 3 users

Definitely surprised by the above posters at their stats (being on the higher side).

I do have an acceptance to another Master's program. Can anyone chime in on why they picked this program over others?

Closest to home, most affordable, most reputable, especially among TMDSAS schools!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where else did you get accepted to? I am waiting to hear back from VCOM which is a school I really want also. I also need help on deciding!! I know this will be a big class from past students and they do not have guarantee interview or admissions. Also people who wait to finish the program will not be matriculated to medical school until 2022.

Closest to home, most affordable, most reputable, especially among TMDSAS schools!

Have you heard anything about this program in regards to people getting accepted into Medical School? How does it work?

Admitted! So excited to meet everyone!! :soexcited:
Applied 1/15
Admitted 4/3

I got accepted as well! My stats were pretty good except for my MCAT.
GPA: 3.7
MCAT: 491
100s of hours of research, volunteering, and shadowing.

Did everyone who got accepted get an email of acceptance because I only got accepted over the portal and never received an email?

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! I was gonna meet you all on DiscoverHSC Day, but that’s not happening this year with COVID.
For those wondering about class size: our starting size was 236 during orientation, but people got accepted to medical school during the summer and a few people dropped out after fall semester. We’re sitting at 205 now.

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! I was gonna meet you all on DiscoverHSC Day, but that’s not happening this year with COVID.
For those wondering about class size: our starting size was 236 during orientation, but people got accepted to medical school during the summer and a few people dropped out after fall semester. We’re sitting at 205 now.

Are you a current student? Could I PM you more about this program?

I tried messaging you but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the info!!!! Very helpful

Also, I was wondering how well this program is for future students like me who would like to attend medical school. I have looked around and done a little research online; however, I would like to know more about the program and the admissions to medical school. Is there a guaranteed interview or a matriculation into TCOM if we were to meet program requirements? I see online it says that approximately 82 percent of students are successful in gaining admission into medical/dental school but is that true? Also, if we were to apply for medical school after competing the program, wouldn't we have a gap year. Thank you for your time and sorry for all the questions! I am trying to do some comparison to see which school I am wanting to attend. Could you PM me!!!! Thanksssssss

I tried messaging you but it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the info!!!! Very helpful

Also, I was wondering how well this program is for future students like me who would like to attend medical school. I have looked around and done a little research online; however, I would like to know more about the program and the admissions to medical school. Is there a guaranteed interview or a matriculation into TCOM if we were to meet program requirements? I see online it says that approximately 82 percent of students are successful in gaining admission into medical/dental school but is that true? Also, if we were to apply for medical school after competing the program, wouldn't we have a gap year. Thank you for your time and sorry for all the questions! I am trying to do some comparison to see which school I am wanting to attend. Could you PM me!!!! Thanksssssss

Sorry, guys! Had my settings off with messaging. You can PM me but I may be a little slow in responses.
I am a current student.
So there are no guaranteed interviews at TCOM, but this is a sort of... unofficial bridge program. TCOM always accepts about 50 MedSci students into their 1st year class but that includes current and past MedSci.
I don’t know HOW accurate that 82% is because I don’t know everyone who has been accepted or not, but anecdotally I can say that out of my friends who applied to schools this year, almost all of them got accepted or waitlisted. All but one got interviews. A good chunk of my classmates, including myself, decided to wait to apply until this May.

Sorry, guys! Had my settings off with messaging. You can PM me but I may be a little slow in responses.
I am a current student.
So there are no guaranteed interviews at TCOM, but this is a sort of... unofficial bridge program. TCOM always accepts about 50 MedSci students into their 1st year class but that includes current and past MedSci.
I don’t know HOW accurate that 82% is because I don’t know everyone who has been accepted or not, but anecdotally I can say that out of my friends who applied to schools this year, almost all of them got accepted or waitlisted. All but one got interviews. A good chunk of my classmates, including myself, decided to wait to apply until this May.

Awesome! That is so helpful!!! I cant decide between two programs. The other program has at least guaranteed interview and admissions if you meet certain requirements but it's out of state and tuition is high. Also I am wanting to attend Texas medical schools but this MedSci is so tricky! Cause if there is 230 students like you said...thats a lot. 200 x .80 = 160. They cannot admit 160 students to their medical school hahaha. Or even 50%! That scares me.

Awesome! That is so helpful!!! I cant decide between two programs. The other program has at least guaranteed interview and admissions if you meet certain requirements but it's out of state and tuition is high. Also I am wanting to attend Texas medical schools but this MedSci is so tricky! Cause if there is 230 students like you said...thats a lot. 200 x .80 = 160. They cannot admit 160 students to their medical school hahaha. Or even 50%! That scares me.

That decision will ultimately be based on your circumstances and what you think is best. Even though it may not seem like a lot, some people decide they don’t want to do medicine after this program or have extenuating circumstances that don’t make it reasonable for them anymore. What I like about MedSci and UNTHSC is the culture. It’s very small and really feels like most people get along and want each other to succeed. MedSci also has a very strong reputation in Texas for turning out successful future medical students, and that is expanding to other states. We had out of state schools come visit and told us how they’ve loved every MedSci student they’ve gotten and want to get more involved. I understand there’s a lot of security in a bridge program, but it’s important to consider if that’s the most important factor to you.

Have you heard anything about this program in regards to people getting accepted into Medical School? How does it work?
I've heard they accept 40 to 50 students from their MedSci program into TCOM -- which is a fantastic medical school as it is -- and this is purely anecdotal but every medical school interview I had this year had multiple medsci students (current and former) there as well. It's probably better to ask former students though.

Bear in mind that completing this MedSci program will improve your Cred for applying to other schools and MD schools as well.

I've heard they accept 40 to 50 students from their MedSci program into TCOM -- which is a fantastic medical school as it is -- and this is purely anecdotal but every medical school interview I had this year had multiple medsci students (current and former) there as well. It's probably better to ask former students though.

Sounds great. Thanks for all the information!

I already posted earlier but I was just wondering if anyone else that was accepted did not get an email or an invite to the facebook group? I was accepted over the portal but did not receive anything else.

For those who were accepted, did they mention anything about the new online option for the program?

I commented earlier but for those who missed it I'm a graduating medical student. I was in the med sci program in 2015. I know many of the individuals in the class before me, the class before that, and many of the individuals in the class behind me so I feel confident in the responses I am providing here.

1. I can promise you 80-90% of each class ends up in a medical/PA/dental program somewhere. I have seen it. I knew everyone in my class by the end of the year and still follow many of them. The number is much closer to 90% within two years after graduation as some people decide to not apply until after graduating. I know people who have ended up at every Texas medical/PA/dental school.

2. This program is very well known and highly regarded in Texas. If you aim to stay in Texas, this is the place to be. Furthermore tuition here is dirt cheap compared to any other SMP you may end up. This program is also highly regarded among several DO schools out of state as well as some dental schools.

3. There used to be a direct bridge to the TCOM medical program but that was severed many moons ago. Now it's kind of an unofficial relationship. They do NOT guarantee an interview, but if you do really well while you're in it then you are very likely to get noticed and receive an interview. There's not an exact number of med scis they take each year but I believe it is quite close to 50 as someone has mentioned.

Reactions: 9 users
I was reading last years thread and it seems like acceptances were going out weekly throughout april, so maybe another batch of emails come out this week? Fingers crossed!

Congrats to everyone who got in! Hopefully the rest of us will hear back in the following days to come. How do y'all think they're going to proceed with classes? I don't see covid-19 restrictions going down anytime before August, and the program usually starts in May. Do y'all think they might switch to online classes for the summer semester?

Congrats to everyone who got in! Hopefully the rest of us will hear back in the following days to come. How do y'all think they're going to proceed with classes? I don't see covid-19 restrictions going down anytime before August, and the program usually starts in May. Do y'all think they might switch to online classes for the summer semester?

Class starts June 9th.