"Untraditional" Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvrsittingstill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know research experience is key to a successful application in an MSTP program, but through a unique series of events, I know the research I have participated in is certainly not typical and wonder how it will affect my application cycle.

A few stats:

I am a nontraditional student, completed my BS in animal science with a minor in biology and was accepted to begin veterinary school in the fall of 2013 -- GPA: 3.96. Through a unique course of events I have experienced the world of human medicine in a way I had never imagined and now ultimately plan on pursuing academic medicine. I recently scored a 516 (95 percentile) on the new MCAT.

Research Experience:
In total, I have +1000 hours in research experience between two labs. One lab I worked in population medicine looking at the management practices of organic dairy farms. Some of my time was spent on farms administering a questionnaire while other time was spent in the lab processing fecal and blood samples for gastrointestinal parasites and passive transfer of antibodies, respectively. I have two publications (secondary author) as well as an accepted abstract to a national conference. I've also done a bit of work in metagenomics looking at shotgun sampling of DNA sequences in pooled vs individually sampled fecals as well as work in an entomology lab. Clearly, none of this is your typical blots...

Clinical Experience:

I do have things on my application that will show my interest in human medicine since this "life change." Activities including 50 hours shadowing physicians, 200 hours volunteering in hospice, as well as a current job on the oncology floor of a hospital.

However my research experience has been animal science based and I don't have much opportunity to do or get involved in "bench work" where I'm currently at.

Will this really throw off my chances for MSTP?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you already have your veterinary degree - why do you want to do both a MD and PhD? Why not just an MD with lots of research?

If you already have your veterinary degree - why do you want to do both a MD and PhD? Why not just an MD with lots of research?
I think the OP stopped pursuing the veterinary degree.

OP, MSTP programs want evidence that you are dedicated to research, usually basic but also potentially clinical/translational and or other social sciences. Usually in your app you would indicate what research/department you're interested in and that would be supported by the research experiences in the application. So, what fields of research are you interested in and what research experiences do you have that demonstrate your dedication to this line of research?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OP stopped pursuing the veterinary degree.

OP, MSTP programs want evidence that you are dedicated to research, usually basic but also potentially clinical/translational and or other social sciences. Usually in your app you would indicate what research/department you're interested in and that would be supported by the research experiences in the application. So, what fields of research are you interested in and what research experiences do you have that demonstrate your dedication to this line of research?

Oh ok thanks for the clarification

I know research experience is key to a successful application in an MSTP program, but through a unique series of events, I know the research I have participated in is certainly not typical and wonder how it will affect my application cycle.

A few stats:

I am a nontraditional student, completed my BS in animal science with a minor in biology and was accepted to begin veterinary school in the fall of 2013 -- GPA: 3.96. Through a unique course of events I have experienced the world of human medicine in a way I had never imagined and now ultimately plan on pursuing academic medicine. I recently scored a 516 (95 percentile) on the new MCAT.

Research Experience:
In total, I have +1000 hours in research experience between two labs. One lab I worked in population medicine looking at the management practices of organic dairy farms. Some of my time was spent on farms administering a questionnaire while other time was spent in the lab processing fecal and blood samples for gastrointestinal parasites and passive transfer of antibodies, respectively. I have two publications (secondary author) as well as an accepted abstract to a national conference. I've also done a bit of work in metagenomics looking at shotgun sampling of DNA sequences in pooled vs individually sampled fecals as well as work in an entomology lab. Clearly, none of this is your typical blots...

Clinical Experience:

I do have things on my application that will show my interest in human medicine since this "life change." Activities including 50 hours shadowing physicians, 200 hours volunteering in hospice, as well as a current job on the oncology floor of a hospital.

However my research experience has been animal science based and I don't have much opportunity to do or get involved in "bench work" where I'm currently at.

Will this really throw off my chances for MSTP?
Are you trying to get your PhD in a basic science or in a population/social science? This is key. If the latter, it is fine that you don't have a ton of bench research experience (although it sounds like you have done a good amount of lab work related to your population research?).

Are you trying to get your PhD in a basic science or in a population/social science? This is key. If the latter, it is fine that you don't have a ton of bench research experience (although it sounds like you have done a good amount of lab work related to your population research?).

Ultimately, I'm interested in topics in neuroscience which I feel can be approached from both methods. Basic science for disease processes or even looking at neuroplasticity. Where as more of the population view for actual prevalence and observation of a neurological event in the field. Unless I'm severely misinformed (which could be the case).

I have done a good amount of lab work, it just isn't typical. My time was spent running fecal samples and then using a microscope to count various types/levels parasite eggs. While I have experience with gels and some PCR from a class, I've never used it in typical "bench research." Yet I certainly understand and am well acquainted with the sometimes frustrating or monotonous aspects of bench work.