Updated Rankings of Podiatry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMetatarsal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Midwestern Arizona
2. Des Moines
3. California
4. Temple
5. Dr. William Scholl
6. Kent State
7. Barry
8. New York
9. Western

I used 4 year graduation rates, pass rates on part I, part II, and part II cspe, and match rates to calculate this list. I put the most weight into 4 year graduation rates because some schools have misleadingly high pass rates due to high attrition. I used the latest values for each school (some were 2016-2018 averages, some 2015-2017). I used a calculation similar to bobtheweazel's.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
But nycpm told me they were the premier podiatry school.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still top 10, I can dig that.

NYCPM is ivy league, we have like 3 kids from Harvard. I'm from community college, but its ranked #1 community college in my county.

#3 is better than #8 :confused:

Reactions: 3 users
Still top 10, I can dig that.

NYCPM is ivy league, we have like 3 kids from Harvard. I'm from community college, but its ranked #1 community college in my county.

Reminds me of when we were having the boards presentation and they said “don’t be like the previous class!!” With their 89% board pass rate :oops: trying to get back in that top 5

Reactions: 1 user
Ranking isn’t very important. A 2.6gpa at NYCPM can be a 4.0 at Barry, or a 2.6gpa at Barry can be a 4.0 at NYCPM. It’s all about the student and their preferences. Different students are successful at different schools.

Let’s be real, ranking podiatry schools is silly. I get everyone has that ego(me included).

#gradetheboards

Reactions: 1 users
Most important thing to look at is total cost of living (in my opinion). 200 vs 350k matters a lot more than most pre pods think it does.

Understandable that us medical students want to rank everything and turn everything into statistics so that the numbers can make our difficult decisions for us, BUT podiatry school is not like MD or DO school. Since there's only 9 they all check off the boxes and teach the students what they need to be taught and all stay pretty even. The difference in numbers comes mostly from the type of students that are in the classes and how hard they've studied to pass boards. I have met many students from many of the schools and all of the curriculums teach the same things. Once you get here you'll realize that it is wayyy more about the effort you put in than the school you go to. The first years of each class usually start off cocky thinking that they chose the best school, but after a couple of years of talking to students from each class and rubbing shoulders during residency you'll realize that you define your school and not the other way around.

99% residency directors have told me that they don't care which school you've gone to so go to the one that you think you'll thrive in.

Hey all! Just sticking up for Western, we have an extremely small class size here (only 30 in my year) so our graduation rates are pretty drastically affected by just a few students. Our class has only had 2 people leave and both were for personal/home-life reasons. We take all of the same classes/tests as the DO students in addition to Podiatry classes, so we might have a slightly lower GPA than other schools, but as long as you're keeping up in class and actually study, passing the APMLE should be a breeze.

Regardless, as far as I can tell residency directors don't care where you went to school as long as you're enthusiastic about learning as much as you can and ready to work hard. Pick the school that fits you best because no matter where you go, the next four years are going to be challenging and you're going to want to do it in the place that you feel most comfortable.