Updates, posters, and abstracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway998

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My lab presented a poster at a national conference in the fall. I was named as second author on this poster. I recently sent a post interview update to a non rolling school and a pre interview update to a non rolling school with the citation of the poster on it and am explanation of my contributions. I was rejected the next day from the pre interview update school.

For the poster, the abstract was submitted for consideration in the spring and I was not named as an author on it. However my work over the summer made significant contributions to the project and I was included as second author on the poster itself because of this. Unfortunately if you google the title of the poster, only the abstract comes up which my name is not on. I'm wondering if this is why I was immediately rejected - perhaps they thought I was lying?

My question is should I send a second update to the post interview school explaining that my name was not on the abstract because of this and thus won't show up on a Google search. I could also attach a pdf of the poster and give contact information for my PI. Is this something that could affect me? How should I fix this problem? If I send another update to another school should I include the poster citation + explanation of why I'm not the abstract or should I just not mention this at all?

Thank you for the advice

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

My lab presented a poster at a national conference in the fall. I was named as second author on this poster. I recently sent a post interview update to a non rolling school and a pre interview update to a non rolling school with the citation of the poster on it and am explanation of my contributions. I was rejected the next day from the pre interview update school.

For the poster, the abstract was submitted for consideration in the spring and I was not named as an author on it. However my work over the summer made significant contributions to the project and I was included as second author on the poster itself because of this. Unfortunately if you google the title of the poster, only the abstract comes up which my name is not on. I'm wondering if this is why I was immediately rejected - perhaps they thought I was lying?

My question is should I send a second update to the post interview school explaining that my name was not on the abstract because of this and thus won't show up on a Google search. I could also attach a pdf of the poster and give contact information for my PI. Is this something that could affect me? How should I fix this problem? If I send another update to another school should I include the poster citation + explanation of why I'm not the abstract or should I just not mention this at all?

Thank you for the advice

I think the timing of the pre-interview rejection was just a coincidence. No need send a second update to the post-interview school unless they contact you asking for clarification.

-Bill

The only reason I'm concerned is that I checked the thread for that school and no one else had heard from them in a while, so I don't think it was part of a rejection wave.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most likely, the pre-interview update caused the adcoms to take a second look at your application, which had previously been collecting dust in their archives. Since it's late in the cycle, the adcoms already know what their 2015 applicant pool looks like, and they decided you weren't competitive. They probably would have rejected you sooner but they forgot about your application until your update reminded them. It probably has nothing to do with your poster.

If you are losing sleep over this, I'd go ahead and contact the admissions committee at your other schools. Include a copy of the poster and your PIs contact info.

Just say:

"Hi this is Throwaway998. I emailed you earlier about a poster update, but I forgot to include verification information in case you needed it. Attached is the poster, which was presented at X conference on X date, and here is my PI's contact info. If you look up the title online, you'll find the abstract, but I am listed as an author only on the poster and not the abstract. My PI can verify my work."

Reactions: 1 users
Most likely, the pre-interview update caused the adcoms to take a second look at your application, which had previously been collecting dust in their archives. Since it's late in the cycle, the adcoms already know what their 2015 applicant pool looks like, and they decided you weren't competitive. They probably would have rejected you sooner but they forgot about your application until your update reminded them. It probably has nothing to do with your poster.

If you are losing sleep over this, I'd go ahead and contact the admissions committee at your other schools. Include a copy of the poster and your PIs contact info.

Just say:

"Hi this is Throwaway998. I emailed you earlier about a poster update, but I forgot to include verification information in case you needed it. Attached is the poster, which was presented at X conference on X date, and here is my PI's contact info. If you look up the title online, you'll find the abstract, but I am listed as an author only on the poster and not the abstract. My PI can verify my work."
Yeah, I got rejected after sending an update once (it was post-interview, tho) so I agree with Chansey that you shouldn't think too much of it. We can't win 'em all.