Updating CV for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasterx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm updating my CV to prepare for dental school and am not sure what I should keep/add. Things I'm not sure about:

- Work experience from high school
- Volunteer experience
- Shadowing experience
- Extracurricular/Club memberships
- College scholarships

Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: I'm already accepted to dental school. This CV is for when I'm _in_ dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes all of those things are normal for the AADSAS application, and there will be categories for you to enter them under. An actual CV is usually not neccesary for applying to dental school.

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

I'm already accepted to dental school. I'm updating my CV for when I'm actually _in_ dental school. Does all that stuff get left behind?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not "super" involved in dental school. However, I cannot think of a reason to use a CV while you are IN dental school. There are not many things to apply for that would require one.

-C

I am not "super" involved in dental school. However, I cannot think of a reason to use a CV while you are IN dental school. There are not many things to apply for that would require one.

-C

While in dental school it's useful to have an up-to-date CV if you're going for scholarships, applying for externships, applying to specialty programs, or just in case you get randomly asked for one by admin or faculty.

Blaster, I'd get rid of high school work experience, unless it's really relevant to dentistry. Everything else you mentioned would be good, especially at the beginning of dental school. If you get involved and do well in school, you should just update your CV as you go, and in a couple of years you'll hopefully be able to fill it up with almost all dental-related activities and honors.

While in dental school it's useful to have an up-to-date CV if you're going for scholarships, applying for externships, applying to specialty programs, or just in case you get randomly asked for one by admin or faculty.

Blaster, I'd get rid of high school work experience, unless it's really relevant to dentistry. Everything else you mentioned would be good, especially at the beginning of dental school. If you get involved and do well in school, you should just update your CV as you go, and in a couple of years you'll hopefully be able to fill it up with almost all dental-related activities and honors.

Thanks. I like having a CV on hand and keeping it updated. I'll delete the high school work exp. and keep the rest of the stuff and slowly replace it with more stuff through dental school. :thumbup:

While you're in dental school, and are progressing, remember to keep track of:

- professional society memberships
- clinical experiences
- volunteer work, esp anything clinically involved.

The clinical experiences part will help when applying for associateships later.

I don't even know if I would keep any college information aside from degree obtained, date awarded, and whether or not you graduated with honors. Unless you have pertinent information for applying to residency (i.e. if you want to do pedo, and have previous experience from working with kids, I think that would be okay). There is no need to overload your new CV/resume with stuff from college like awards and such.