This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait does anyone know it is better to get an early interview? Or do they just send invites at random?
It appears that people with exceptional stats generally get interviewed early. But not everyone who interviews on the first day is accepted and people who interview on the last day also get accepted. What you say and do at the interview can definitely make a big difference. I think Penn also had an idea of the type of personality they are looking for in a student and while someone may have great stats and will make a great vet, if they don't have that personality or character they are looking for, then that person may not get accepted.

Good luck, and congrats to everyone who has been invited to interview so far! Just remember, this is just the first round of invites for the first day, invites will continue to be sent out for another 5-6 weeks. Also, many people who have a very strong large animal interest will likely be invited for one of the last interview days, typically mid-February, as that group takes a tour of New Bolton Center.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, many people who have a very strong large animal interest will likely be invited for one of the last interview days, typically mid-February, as that group takes a tour of New Bolton Center.
Good to know for us large animal people!:) I am absolutely in love with New Bolton Center!

Reactions: 1 user
No lo puedo creer.... me invitaron por una entrevista? This is fantastic.

Also, my email server was having some issues and I actually couldn't see this email until 8:30pm. I was getting really panicky and sad at work when I saw ya'll get interviews and I was just sitting at work covered in fur, poop, and sadness. I kept refreshing and nothing would show up, but my email says that it was sent at 3:40pm? Either way... WHOOHOO. OOS, first time applicant! Jan 6th is my day! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
It appears that people with exceptional stats generally get interviewed early. But not everyone who interviews on the first day is accepted and people who interview on the last day also get accepted. What you say and do at the interview can definitely make a big difference. I think Penn also had an idea of the type of personality they are looking for in a student and while someone may have great stats and will make a great vet, if they don't have that personality or character they are looking for, then that person may not get accepted.

Good luck, and congrats to everyone who has been invited to interview so far! Just remember, this is just the first round of invites for the first day, invites will continue to be sent out for another 5-6 weeks. Also, many people who have a very strong large animal interest will likely be invited for one of the last interview days, typically mid-February, as that group takes a tour of New Bolton Center.

Do you know when the next set of interview invites will go out? I am hoping I hear before the beginning of January.. could it possible be after?

Typically invites are sent out once a week for the next 4-5 wks most likely. Some invites will be sent after the beginning of January.

Ok, thank you. Was hoping it would be sooner. Hopefully I will hear sooner!

so does anyone know if Penn has sent out any rejections yet? I'm a LA focused applicant so I'm assuming if I get an interview it will come later based on what people said above, but just curious if not hearing anything yet is possibly a good sign or if they haven't sent out rejections yet.

so does anyone know if Penn has sent out any rejections yet? I'm a LA focused applicant so I'm assuming if I get an interview it will come later based on what people said above, but just curious if not hearing anything yet is possibly a good sign or if they haven't sent out rejections yet.
Rejections usually go out later, but until then you are still in the running.

Last year they sent out an initial round of rejections before interviews. However I'm not sure if they did that this cycle or not.

I (unsurprisingly) received a rejection email today at 8 AM PST. Out of state applicant.

wooo just got an invite for Jan 13th!

Reactions: 5 users
I have a silly question for those that were invited to interview. Are you sending professionally-taken head shots for the photo requirement? Do you think it'd be okay to just have a family member or friend take a picture? I might be overthinking this, but I don't want to give them a negative impression before the interview!

I have a silly question for those that were invited to interview. Are you sending professionally-taken head shots for the photo requirement? Do you think it'd be okay to just have a family member or friend take a picture? I might be overthinking this, but I don't want to give them a negative impression before the interview!
I think I used a selfie. Professional pics are not required. If you have one, feel free to use it, but don't pay for them just for this. They just use them to make sure they are all talking about the same person when making the admissions decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I used a selfie. Professional pics are not required. If you have one, feel free to use it, but don't pay for them just for this. They just use them to make sure they are all talking about the same person when making the admissions decision.

Agreed. Just make sure it's not you doing shots at a bar or something. I had my mom take mine in our house.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who have received interviews, what is the email address? Some of my mail from other schools is ending up in spam or promotions so want to make sure my eye is on the lookout! Thank you
Also does UPenn have a portal?

Replying to my own post! Received an email today :) Good luck to everyone

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they might ask biology-related questions at the interview? Or if it is more behavioral?

Does anyone know if they might ask biology-related questions at the interview? Or if it is more behavioral?
last year, mine was 100% about my own application and my goals in the field. Not a single "on the spot" science question or anything designed to be challenging. The admissions team is really just trying to figure out if you will fit in well here or not. I definitely recommend rereading your experiences section and be prepared to talk about any of those experiences. Even if they're not related to vet med, those experiences make you different and Penn really likes students with diverse backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 users
Things might have changed, but I do recommend having some thoughts on a few potential controversial topics. I was asked an ethical type question the two years I interviewed

Last edited:
Also, does anyone one know how many OOS people they interview and how many of those get in? (Well obviously I guess 75 get in lol). But how many are interviewed in total?

Things might have changed, but I do recommend bacon some thoughts on a few potential controversial topics. I was asked an ethical type question the two years I interviewed
Most people I knew also got asked an ethics question. Mine was thrown in at the end, and it was probably the only one I wasn't really prepared for, but I still think I answered it well and honestly.

how does one bacon a thought?

maybe I was an exception then, I prepared for some ethics questions just in case, but I didn't get asked anything!

Does anyone know when the large animal interview date will be this year?

Does anyone know the correct email to send your photo to? The one that is sent in the email is different than the one if you click on the email address

Does anyone know the correct email to send your photo to? The one that is sent in the email is different than the one if you click on the email address

I sent it to the one written in the email ([email protected]). I figured that was the correct one because we were instructed to send our photos to Ms. Keiter. However, I didn't get any confirmation email. Did anyone get a reply after submitting the photo, confirming that it was received?

Did anyone get a confirmation email when they send their "confirm to interview"? I didn't get a confirmation email for either

I didn't get asked any ethics questions at my interview two years ago, but we may have run out of time because we talked about my second major and my writing a lot. And about how i would choose between Penn and UTK if I got in (I had already gotten my UTK acceptance). I probably didn't answer that question in a favorable way :rofl:

Did anyone get a confirmation email when they send their "confirm to interview"? I didn't get a confirmation email for either

I actually called first to confirm the interview and then I sent a follow-up email. It might have been excessive, but I was told by a couple of professionals that it was good to be sure in case anything happened! Rosanne Herpen replied to my follow-up email, so now I'm positive they have an interview spot for me lol

I sent it to the one written in the email ([email protected]). I figured that was the correct one because we were instructed to send our photos to Ms. Keiter. However, I didn't get any confirmation email. Did anyone get a reply after submitting the photo, confirming that it was received?

Hey, I actually emailed Allison afterwards asking for a confirmation, and she said that she received it. However, when I sent the photo originally to that address she didn't send back a confirmation.

Does anyone know when the send out rejections? I haven't gotten an invite, and I said my interest was with small animals :(

Does anyone know when the send out rejections? I haven't gotten an invite, and I said my interest was with small animals :(

Last year they sent out some initial rejections before interviews but it seems they send out the majority after. One person posted earlier and said they already received a rejection.

When do they stop sending invites for interview? Did they send invites this week?
I haven't received an invite nor rejection.

They'll be sending invites for a while still, probably through most of January. Usually once a week they go out.

When do they stop sending invites for interview? Did they send invites this week?
I haven't received an invite nor rejection.

In the same boat, hopefully no news will turn to good news for both of us :)

So I'm a little confused with what y'all said previously about interview order. In the email I got from them it said "Those applicants whom we believe are less academically qualified will begin to hear from us as soon as we can determine their comparative ranking with other applicants." I don't want to burst anyone's bubble about that, just clarify.

On a side note, to those that applied to the VMD-PhD program have you heard back? That email said mid December. I assume that will be this week but I wanted to double check.

So I'm a little confused with what y'all said previously about interview order. In the email I got from them it said "Those applicants whom we believe are less academically qualified will begin to hear from us as soon as we can determine their comparative ranking with other applicants." I don't want to burst anyone's bubble about that, just clarify.

On a side note, to those that applied to the VMD-PhD program have you heard back? That email said mid December. I assume that will be this week but I wanted to double check.
I would think that would mean hear from them and be rejected? but I don't really know.

I would think that would mean hear from them and be rejected? but I don't really know.
Ok that's what I though but I'm trying not to stress over it. I just found this forum and thought to ask. Thanks though!