UPenn, WashU, Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathophile

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to rank these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

All good programs. Do you want to be in Midwest for jobs or East coast should be your deciding factor in terms of ranking and whether the program has the fellowship you are interested in.

Make sure you will be happy in that program as well.

Last edited:
All good programs. Do you want to be in Midwest for jobs or East coast should be your deciding factor in terms of ranking and whether the program has the fellowship you are interested in.

Make sure you will be happy in that program as well.

All high crime areas. St. Louis metro area is particularly bad. Plenty of places to get good training without living in a s*** hole.

Members don't see this ad :)
All high crime areas. St. Louis metro area is particularly bad. Plenty of places to get good training without living in a s*** hole.
This is nonsense. I've lived in 2 of these cities and been to all 3 programs. All are truly amongst the best.

While there may be a lot of crime per capita in the city of St. Louis, this is far more a consequence of skewed statistics given that the city withdrew from the county, and most of the higher crime areas in the city, but the adjacent nicer areas are not part of the city and excluded in the stats. Look at the metro area crime rates and you will see they are actually below average. Additionally, neither WashU or Penn hospitals are really in bad parts of town. The Central West End and Center City are not bad places to be, things are very walkable and safe. They are both very affordable places that will guarantee you a high quality of life.

You cant go wrong with any of these, but I would pick on what subspecialty you are interested, what career path you want, and where you want to end up.

My personal bias (I had to rank all these as well, among many others) was

WashU, then Yale, then Penn. But that was some time ago.

Thank you all for the replies! I am interested in transfusion, maybe molecular. These programs all offer these fellowships and seem strong in CP in general, which is why ranking is difficult. East coast is preferable to the Midwest, however.

It does seem unfortunate that many of the stronger programs are in high crime areas, or areas that are very expensive(NYC, SF, Boston). I agree that the crime in these locations seems a bit exaggerated. There are bad areas in these cities for sure, but it doesn’t seem so bad around the hospitals, many residents seem to commute from safe suburbs anyways.

Most responses to a question like this will be pure conjecture. Only people who trained or worked at a place recently really know what it's like, and their comments will be biased. So just go with your gut.

Fine programs. Just not MY cup of tea to live there on a residents salary. You don’t get to live where I would prefer on that kind of stipend.
I did my days in the wild west-no more.

Take advantage of the fact that people assume St. Louis is terrible and live there on the cheap! Areas immediately surrounding the Barnes-Jewish/WashU campus, and south and west into St. Louis County are safe, affordable, and have wonderful neighborhood, even family-raising, vibes. I live 4 miles from campus, in a safe area (accidentally have left the back door to the screen porch open a couple nights without incident), which is a 15 minute AM/25 minute PM commute.

CP training here is top tier. The transfusion medicine faculty at WashU are awesome, with very diverse perspectives (part-time clinical hematologist, former anesthesiologist, ex-Red Crosser, HLA and cell therapy gurus). There are 6 molecular fellowship spots now (some funded through the AP division, some through the CP division).

OP, feel free to message me if you have any specific questions/concerns.

Take advantage of the fact that people assume St. Louis is terrible and live there on the cheap! Areas immediately surrounding the Barnes-Jewish/WashU campus, and south and west into St. Louis County are safe, affordable, and have wonderful neighborhood, even family-raising, vibes. I live 4 miles from campus, in a safe area (accidentally have left the back door to the screen porch open a couple nights without incident), which is a 15 minute AM/25 minute PM commute.

CP training here is top tier. The transfusion medicine faculty at WashU are awesome, with very diverse perspectives (part-time clinical hematologist, former anesthesiologist, ex-Red Crosser, HLA and cell therapy gurus). There are 6 molecular fellowship spots now (some funded through the AP division, some through the CP division).

OP, feel free to message me if you have any specific questions/concerns.

We must know each other...

Ive lived in lots of places including St. Louis. Ive never had much a problem with crime anywhere...could be me though. I used to take midnight strolls through Compton just to see if I would get rolled on and nothin.

I guess the moral of the story is if you walk the Earth looking for trouble, it only rarely finds you.

Reactions: 1 user
West Philly is way safer than it was in the 80's when I lived there. But I would never choose any of those location/programs over UVa or Chapel Hill or dozens of better locations. Hopkins is the only program good enough to justify the unpleasant urban setting IMO.