UPMC vs. C/C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Now that interview season is coming to a close, it's time to start working on those rank lists! I am having a hard time deciding between these two programs and would love any insight people on this forum are willing to share.

From what I have seen, UPMC seems to be an overall better program but I was not very impressed by their fellowship match. C/C seems to be good, but like all the other NYC programs the procedural experience is lacking. However, the fellowship match is very, very impressive. I am looking to do a pain fellowship and they seem to go to the top fellowship programs across the country. Plus the added bonus of rotating through the top orthopedic and cancer hospitals in the country is huge.

Do you think the disparity in fellowships has to do with the name recognition that one gets with C/C? Or is the lack luster UPMC list more due to the fact that they are recently becoming recognized as a "top tier" program and the match list will improve over the next coming years?

Again, any insight would be great! I know there is plenty of information on both of these programs on the forums so I'm looking more for guidance at this time.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to reading your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Trained at UPMC PM&R within the past 5 years. They give you exceptional opportunities to pursue any PM&R sub specialty you choose. They have significant resources/grants. Dr. Sowa is a national public figure in spine research. (Co-chaired NASS meeting in 2015)

Great interventional experiences with genuine, constructive criticism for each case. Our PM&R attendings (2) helped train the UPMC Pain fellows.

Tons of opportunities for publications and poster submissions (which high tier pain programs will require).

They allow for one day/week training in Pain as a 4th year (in addition to required training in Year 2/3) if you choose.

Allowed to do one month outside rotation with any program of your choice (if program accepts you) that most residents use as an "interview" rotation.

Had tons of Pain fellowship interviews at Tier 1/2 programs myself.

Extremely pleased with my training at UPMC. Set me up to be ahead of the game as a painfellow.

No true bias here, went into private practice post Pain fellowship.

Have you considered that the UPMC grads may have not wanted to go to "top" fellowships or not go to fellowships at all. UPMC is every bit as strong as C/C...so your sample size is likely lacking.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I don't know much about NY programs, as I had no interest in going to NY, but I've always been under the impression that UPMC is among the best in the country. I also believe it has better name-recognition in the PM&R world. When I have spoken with other residents and attendings, they generally don't list it in the "top 5" you always hear, but it's one of the few I here pretty consistently as being just below those programs.

I've only heard great things about UPMC--about the quality of the academics, attendings, and residents. I can't imagine any world where UPMC would make it harder for you to get a pain fellowship.

I agree withj4pac--sample size is likely coming in to play. With class sizes so small, things can change greatly year-to-year, with regards to how many residents opt to pursue a fellowship and what fellowship they pursue (not to mention where to pursue that fellowship).

Maybe I don't know much about NY programs, as I had no interest in going to NY, but I've always been under the impression that UPMC is among the best in the country. I also believe it has better name-recognition in the PM&R world. When I have spoken with other residents and attendings, they generally don't list it in the "top 5" you always hear, but it's one of the few I here pretty consistently as being just below those programs.

I've only heard great things about UPMC--about the quality of the academics, attendings, and residents. I can't imagine any world where UPMC would make it harder for you to get a pain fellowship.

I agree withj4pac--sample size is likely coming in to play. With class sizes so small, things can change greatly year-to-year, with regards to how many residents opt to pursue a fellowship and what fellowship they pursue (not to mention where to pursue that fellowship).

C/C is more highly recognized than UPMC in the medical world. Perhaps that is an advantage in regards to apply to anesthesia based Pain and FP-based Sports med.

This is a big reason why I put Mayo and Harvard at the top of the totem pole in regards to program prestige. Baylor, UW, RIC, and Kessler are pretty equal to Harvard and Mayo in the PM&R world...but not all employers and fellowships are run by PM&R.

But in regard to the OPs situation...unless I really wanted to be in NYC...I would go to UPMC.

Thanks for the input everyone! I really do appreciate it, especially with the rankings being open now.
I wish everyone the best of luck with the Match in the upcoming months!

Hey there-- current UPMC resident here. Just wanted to let the OP know that this year 2 out of 9 PGY4s (which is 100% of those interested in pain) matched into anesthesia-based pain fellowships at major academic centers. As residents, we get exposure to pain medicine (and hands-on procedural practice) throughout residency, starting in PGY2 year. We are taught like fellows during these rotations. Additionally, with UPMC being a major research center and pain fellowships becoming increasingly competitive, residents here are easily able to build the resume necessary to be competitive in this career path. I am disappointed that you were less than impressed with the match information you received, but rest assured that opportunities for pain definitely exist here if that's what you're interested in.

Good luck in the match!