Upper division classes to prepare for MCAT/Medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eli_23m

Hi everyone,
I'll be transferring next year and I'm just curious; what are some upper division classes that would help me prepare for MCAT as well as Medical school.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're taking the old MCAT, classes that I found useful were Genetics, Physiology, and Biochemistry.

For Medical school, you really can't prepare for that. Take classes that interest you that you will never get the chance to take again. If you're still really set on taking classes that will "prepare" you, I hear that Immunology and Neuroscience are classes that med students particularly struggle with because of lack of familiarity.

If I had to do it again, I would have taken an anatomy/physiology class. I did take genetics and molecular bio/biochem, which were both pretty useful as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
I'll be transferring next year and I'm just curious; what are some upper division classes that would help me prepare for MCAT as well as Medical school.
Thank you in advance.

Biochemistry is required considering the new MCAT is focusing heavily on this. Besides this, physiology and genetics are recommended. You would also need to take sociology and psychology.

I strongly suggest taking Anatomy & Physiology to prepare for the Biology section. Since about half of the topics on the Biology MCAT are A&P topics, A&P will really be helpful.

For the NEW MCAT, I'm not sure how much A&P will be on there. Biochemistry is a must though.

I strongly suggest taking Anatomy & Physiology to prepare for the Biology section. Since about half of the topics on the Biology MCAT are A&P topics, A&P will really be helpful.

For the NEW MCAT, I'm not sure how much A&P will be on there. Biochemistry is a must though.
They keep going on about "living systems" this and "living systems" that, so I'm guessing it will still be helpful.

IMO, it's a bad idea to take "upper level" classes "to prepare for MCAT." MCAT tests the basics. Time you spend "preparing" for the MCAT by studying material NOT on the MCAT, is wasted time as far as the test is concerned. That's how so many people with advanced knowledge in biology get lousy biology scores. You're best bet is to study the MCAT right out of MCAT prep books.

Most people would suggest otherwise, but I found taking Immunology was immensely helpful for the MCAT. I've taken several advanced coursework this past year (as post-bac): Molecular Genetics, Microbiology, Immunology, Parasitology, Anatomy & Physiology I and II, and (standard) Genetics. There always seems to be atleast one passage on Immunology for every MCAT and is probably the one most people struggle with, so taking the class would put you at a significant advantage. At this point though, it's kinda of meaningless because the MCAT is changing. Based on the trial section I took, the new MCAT is a whole different ball game than what we're use to. Definitely focus on taking required courses first before anything else (including sociology, psychology, and biochemistry). I wouldn't really recommend taking any other upper level class (aside from A&P) for medical school since most of what you learn would probably be forgotten by the time you get there. Immunology, Parasitology, Microbiology are all part of the second year curriculum in most medical schools.

Everyone really should give this a thorough read: https://www.aamc.org/students/services/343550/mcat2015.html

It has a breakdown of exactly what will be covered and in what percentage. There were some surprises in there. For example, on the BS section, Foundation Concept 3 is pure Anatomy & Physiology and makes up 25% of the section (how something that makes up 25% of the BS section is not deemed a prerequisite, I'm not sure).

I got a 12 on the biology/organic chemistry section after only taking 2 semesters of biology and organic chemistry (no upper division classes). I had a friend who had a masters in biology not even score a 20 on the whole thing.