MD Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*I am considering DO, just not until I graduate. The DO school in my state has high stats, so I would need to take gap years to retake some classes at another institution.

At the beginning of the year I had a very low science GPA of 2.6, if not lower. After this quarter, it should be at a 3.1ish. My cumulative GPA is significantly better. I hope to continue to get good grades next year with harder classes and studying for the MCAT.

EC's are very basic, but meaningful to me. Volunteering, clinical research, academic research, and shadowing.

Would it be okay for me to apply after junior year if I keep on this upward trend or just a waste of time? I look at average GPAs for medical schools and I get very discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.1 science GPA would be cutting it close at a lot of schools. If you're considering DO, it may be wise to take advantage of the grade replacement policy. If you could retake classes in which you received a C or lower, it would be possible to bump your GPA even higher and perhaps be a bit more competitive.

It's also very difficult to advise you without an MCAT score, because that is very very important.

A 3.1 science GPA would be cutting it close at a lot of schools. If you're considering DO, it may be wise to take advantage of the grade replacement policy. If you could retake classes in which you received a C or lower, it would be possible to bump your GPA even higher and perhaps be a bit more competitive.

It's also very difficult to advise you without an MCAT score, because that is very very important.

I'm a sophomore, brought up my sGPA from 2.6 to 3.1 (kind of inferring my grades here, but on the right track). I plan to apply after next year if I continue on this track with the potential of having a 3.4-3.5.

Thanks, I'm just nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.5 is fine for most DO programs.
What about MD? I will apply DO after grade replacement and I graduate. The only DO in my state has the same averages as some MD's in my state.

Would it be worth it to apply until after junior year or wait until after senior year (even higher GPA)? Although my Science GPA might improve senior year, my cum GPA might not (will take rest of requirements which I might not be too hot at).

You do hear about some people that are accepted to MD schools with a 3.5, but they have other aspects of their application to counteract the GPA. Doing extremely well on the MCAT may help, for example.

I think it really comes down to this: which is more important to you, being in medical school immediately after graduating or being in an MD school? I think it's definitely possible that you continue to raise your GPA during your senior year and get to a point where you're competitive even for MD programs. It's also possible, though, that you take an extra year to beef up your application and MD schools still don't accept you, in which case you'd be in the same boat applying for DO schools. It's a question that you have to answer for yourself.

Another common piece of advice on these forums is that you should make your application strong enough to do it only once. If you feel like you can still improve your application significantly by taking an extra year, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Even if it means waiting, I suggest that you apply with the best possible app. Why limit your choices?

*I am considering DO, just not until I graduate. The DO school in my state has high stats, so I would need to take gap years to retake some classes at another institution.

At the beginning of the year I had a very low science GPA of 2.6, if not lower. After this quarter, it should be at a 3.1ish. My cumulative GPA is significantly better. I hope to continue to get good grades next year with harder classes and studying for the MCAT.

EC's are very basic, but meaningful to me. Volunteering, clinical research, academic research, and shadowing.

Would it be okay for me to apply after junior year if I keep on this upward trend or just a waste of time? I look at average GPAs for medical schools and I get very discouraged.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you considering applying to MD schools at the end of Junior year and waiting to apply to DO schools until after graduating? It certainly isn't the reason you are giving: to retake classes and improve your GPAs. You are already doing that. If you apply MD at the end of Junior year apply DO as well and see what happens. Why would you go through the process twice if you don't have to? If you are accepted MD great. If you aren't maybe you will be accepted DO and then you won't have to reapply.

Why are you considering applying to MD schools at the end of Junior year and waiting to apply to DO schools until after graduating? It certainly isn't the reason you are giving: to retake classes and improve your GPAs. You are already doing that. If you apply MD at the end of Junior year apply DO as well and see what happens. Why would you go through the process twice if you don't have to? If you are accepted MD great. If you aren't maybe you will be accepted DO and then you won't have to reapply.
I'm not retaking any classes?
Do higher up classes count as retake? If I took low level Genetics, would upper level Genetics replace it (for example)?

@Goro Do 300 level courses (Biochem, Genetics, etc) replace lower level courses for DO programs?

Thank you!

I'm not retaking any classes?
Do higher up classes count as retake? If I took low level Genetics, would upper level Genetics replace it (for example)?

I just think you are underestimating yourself. You are only a Sophomore and you have already brought your GPAs up. How many prereqs have you taken in the last year and a half and what grades did you get? I don't know if higher level classes count for retakes. My main point was that if you are comfortable applying to MD schools why aren't you comfortable applying DO at the same time. But whatever... Good luck on your path to becoming a doctor.

To further clarify, grade replacement works like this: you retake an F in orgo and C in genetics with those two classes. Could be at your UG school, or a completely different school. You get an A and a B+. Only those higher grades are used for your GPA calculations.
If I take them at another institution and took a higher up level course because they did not have an intro to it, would this county as grade replacement? Or would I just need to find an institution that has the same level course?

I'm a little bit confused as to why a higher up level would not replace the lower level?

I just think you are underestimating yourself. You are only a Sophomore and you have already brought your GPAs up. How many prereqs have you taken in the last year and a half and what grades did you get? I don't know if higher level classes count for retakes. My main point was that if you are comfortable applying to MD schools why aren't you comfortable applying DO at the same time. But whatever... Good luck on your path to becoming a doctor.
I will apply to DO when I apply MD too, but without grade replacement it seems as if it would be just as hard for me to get into a DO school and MD school.

I have taken a year of Chemistry, one quarter of Orgo, 2 quarters of Bio. I have lots of science classes to go and I'm assuming I'm getting As or A-s in my classes now which doesn't seem like an issue, yet, because I have scored 100s on everything so far 4 weeks into the quarter.

Because Genetics is not Basic Biology. And we expect you to master both. So, let's keep this simple . Forget "upper" and "lower". Replace the same course. Genetics for Genetics, Anatomy for Anatomy F...etc. Capeesh?

If I take them at another institution and took a higher up level course because they did not have an intro to it, would this county as grade replacement? Or would I just need to find an institution that has the same level course?

I'm a little bit confused as to why a higher up level would not replace the lower level?

Because Genetics is not Basic Biology. And we expect you to master both. So, let's keep this simple . Forget "upper" and "lower". Replace the same course. Genetics for Genetics, Anatomy for Anatomy F...etc. Capeesh?
I see, but my school has no basic biology, just those classes. I'd love to retake those here, but financially, I can't.

Thank you.