UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I'm currently a first year here, and can shed light on a few things:

MedEdPath is considered your representative for the UQ-Ochsner program. This is a technicality, but they present your application. As a result, you cannot apply to UQ and UQ-Ochsner separately, as admissions will wonder why you have a representative on one side, and chose to represent yourself on the other. It looks weird, and your documents will be messed up. In addition, MedEdPath does a lot of make sure your application is correct before submitting, something you need and will miss out on if you "represent yourself." However, there is no way to apply to UQ-Ochsner without MedEdPath.

The MD program is poorly done; they are "addressing" it, but promises and actions are two distinct verbs. For US students, it is a real fact that you will be teaching yourself because UQ's curriculum is not comprehensive. However, I have friends in three Ivy League med schools in the US who are experiencing the same "self-teaching" curriculum. The reason there is so much noise about the quality is, after a series of disasters the staff called "lectures," they blamed the students for their ignorance and competence. When that became a PR nightmare, the story was changed to, "Admissions misspoke about the prerequisites you had." It was a softer way of placing the blame on us for the disorganization, so they never addressed real issues. For example, there are many times a lecture on the pathology of a system precedes the physiology. One excuse provided was, "It is for the convenience of the lecturers, them taking time to teach us." That's great and all, but the students are paying to be here. Many times, we are supposed to be honored that Person X has come, despite his poor teaching skills and his apparent disdain for being there.

The shortcomings of the program for this year will not be the shortcomings for your year, but self-study for the USMLE will always be a truth. There are USMLE tutorials, but they are done by the second years, who are butthurt about getting an MBBS instead of an MD. In addition, the current "Academic" rep is a verified b###. She initially welcomed feedback on the tutorials - which currently are and continue to be "what I studied for my USMLE today" - but once she received it, she took offense and insulted us instead. A fellow CBL emailed her, and was told, "If you expect to understand anything, then you're using the tutorials wrong." What else are they for?! Apparently, just to get a feel for words we don't know yet, while the tutors study for their test. Screw us, right?

In short, the program is great because it gets you what you want: a residency in the US. However, like many US programs, you'll find technology has made subpar teaching pointless as you can find superior sources online.

Regards,
HS

Reactions: 1 users
So pretty much everything above is 100% accurate. All of us UQ-O students self study and ignore lectures for the most part now because of ridiculous comments about our 'lack of preparation'.

Members don't see this ad :)
So pretty much everything above is 100% accurate. All of us UQ-O students self study and ignore lectures for the most part now because of ridiculous comments about our 'lack of preparation'.
is this sarcasm?

Does anyone know if UQO students are considered international or exchange? Do UQO students qualify for the concession card?

Does anyone know if UQO students are considered international or exchange? Do UQO students qualify for the concession card?

you will be considered an International Student. No UQO students dont qualify for a concession card since your visa is temporary not permanent. Unless you become a Australian citizen before/during the program.

you will be considered an International Student. No UQO students dont qualify for a concession card since your visa is temporary not permanent. Unless you become a Australian citizen before/during the program.

If you are referring to the TTCC for public transport, that's wrong. You do qualify. I have one in my wallet right now. All of us have them.

If you are referring to the TTCC for public transport, that's wrong. You do qualify. I have one in my wallet right now. All of us have them.

AWESOME! thank you! When I was on exchange I remember it being very handy. My international student friends were jealous because they did not qualify. Glad you guys have them.

Hi all,

MedEdPath is considered your representative for the UQ-Ochsner program. This is a technicality, but they present your application. As a result, you cannot apply to UQ and UQ-Ochsner separately, as admissions will wonder why you have a representative on one side, and chose to represent yourself on the other. It looks weird, and your documents will be messed up. In addition, MedEdPath does a lot of make sure your application is correct before submitting, something you need and will miss out on if you "represent yourself." However, there is no way to apply to UQ-Ochsner without MedEdPath.

The MD program is poorly done; they are "addressing" it, but promises and actions are two distinct verbs. For US students, it is a real fact that you will be teaching yourself because UQ's curriculum is not comprehensive. However, I have friends in three Ivy League med schools in the US who are experiencing the same "self-teaching" curriculum. The reason there is so much noise about the quality is, after a series of disasters the staff called "lectures," they blamed the students for their ignorance and competence. When that became a PR nightmare, the story was changed to, "Admissions misspoke about the prerequisites you had." It was a softer way of placing the blame on us for the disorganization, so they never addressed real issues. For example, there are many times a lecture on the pathology of a system precedes the physiology. One excuse provided was, "It is for the convenience of the lecturers, them taking time to teach us." That's great and all, but the students are paying to be here. Many times, we are supposed to be honored that Person X has come, despite his poor teaching skills and his apparent disdain for being there.

The shortcomings of the program for this year will not be the shortcomings for your year, but self-study for the USMLE will always be a truth. There are USMLE tutorials, but they are done by the second years, who are butthurt about getting an MBBS instead of an MD. In addition, the current "Academic" rep is a verified b###. She initially welcomed feedback on the tutorials - which currently are and continue to be "what I studied for my USMLE today" - but once she received it, she took offense and insulted us instead. A fellow CBL emailed her, and was told, "If you expect to understand anything, then you're using the tutorials wrong." What else are they for?! Apparently, just to get a feel for words we don't know yet, while the tutors study for their test. Screw us, right?

In short, the program is great because it gets you what you want: a residency in the US. However, like many US programs, you'll find technology has made subpar teaching pointless as you can find superior sources online.

Regards,
HS
wow, this sounds really worrisome....

thanks for your review!

Did you just have your interview?

It went as expected. Two interviewers, no surprises, and it took less than 30 minutes via Skype.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had it 2 days ago.
I wonder if all same 5 questions are asked to all applicants, or do they alter among applicants?

Did anyone interview before they received their summer MCAT scores?

I had it 2 days ago.
I wonder if all same 5 questions are asked to all applicants, or do they alter among applicants?

I'm fairly certain the questions are the same to all applicants in the semi-structured format. The e-mails MEP sends before the interview state which dimensions the questions relate to, and it's pretty straight forward.

how did everyone feel their interview went?

I feel like my content was good but my delivery was AWFUL. I felt like the interviewers couldn't have cared less about anything that came out of my mouth even though I had a pretty interesting story and examples. I think it could've been because Skype is so awkward and I can't gauge responses but I came out more stressed than going in. I wish I had flown out and interviewed in person.

Did anyone else get that impression?

I feel like my content was good but my delivery was AWFUL. I felt like the interviewers couldn't have cared less about anything that came out of my mouth even though I had a pretty interesting story and examples. I think it could've been because Skype is so awkward and I can't gauge responses but I came out more stressed than going in. I wish I had flown out and interviewed in person.

Did anyone else get that impression?
i felt the same.
i felt like i was improvising because i wasn't prepared for some questions...
i came out with an adrenaline rush for an hour after that :D
i didn't see the interviewers' reactions because i had to look into the camera and not at the screen.

Interviewing in less than a month. Anyone have any tips?! Thanks :)

Interviewing in less than a month. Anyone have any tips?! Thanks :)

They give you all the tools to do well. MEP even calls and chats with you about preparing. My best advice, and MEP's advice, is to list as many specific examples as possible under their 5 points.

Skype is super awkward and will only add to anxiety. If UQO is your first choice, I would honestly fly back and interview in person. I wish I had. I doubt they care so much, but for me I would've been able to relax a bit more and I wouldn't have felt like such a weirdo rambling.

wow, i never had this chat about prep 0_0

It was two days before and they were just making sure people were understanding the process. When I said she caught me prepping she seemed surprised and said it's good to hear. Apparently not everyone takes it seriously. It's not like some secrets were reveled in the phone call. Just a "be chatty and come up with a lot of examples."

They give you all the tools to do well. MEP even calls and chats with you about preparing. My best advice, and MEP's advice, is to list as many specific examples as possible under their 5 points.

Skype is super awkward and will only add to anxiety. If UQO is your first choice, I would honestly fly back and interview in person. I wish I had. I doubt they care so much, but for me I would've been able to relax a bit more and I wouldn't have felt like such a weirdo rambling.
Thanks! Yea, I came across the interviewing tips video and will definitely take the time to prepare. I'm also applying to DO schools. I don't think I can fly there due to work, so I'm going to have to make do with skype. I wonder how many spots are left. It seems pretty late in the game (similar to applying in February for the AMCAS).

Thanks! Yea, I came across the interviewing tips video and will definitely take the time to prepare. I'm also applying to DO schools. I don't think I can fly there due to work, so I'm going to have to make do with skype. I wonder how many spots are left. It seems pretty late in the game (similar to applying in February for the AMCAS).

It's not too late at all. I've been following this program for a while and chatted with MEP about it. Last year they were full by September, the year before was December. This year, at this time, it's only half full. They are saying students are delaying their application because the new MCAT so you should see applications closing into October - November. Also, if you're curious, all the other Australian medical schools are following a shorter timeline. They interview in August!

Just got my acceptance e-mail! :)

That's so awesome! I was thinking it would take the full 6-8 weeks. Did you have a particularly strong application?

Honestly I thought it would as well. I thought my application was ok. I can PM you my stats if you like.

hey guys, how did you come up with $5500 deposit? :bored: got accepted and worrying about deposit now :confused:

$5500? Was closer to $5300 including the OSHC after the currency exchange fee was tacked on by my bank. I paid out of savings. I'd been budgeting for it, work full time, have some savings, but I've heard of some people getting help from their parents/siblings/family, or even selling a car to pay the deposit. Technically you need the $3000 for tuition in cash/near-cash since you need a cashier's check or you can do a wire transfer. The OSHC can be put on a credit card (and you'll have until your next billing cycle to pay it off, or hopefully you have a low interest rate if you are unable to do so).

Honestly I thought it would as well. I thought my application was ok. I can PM you my stats if you like.
Congrats! Would you mind PMing me your stats, as well?

Do you know how much refund we'll get if we end up not attending?

Does anyone have recommendation on where to live?

what is the academic Pass/Fail policy at UQ?

is UQ recognized in NY, NJ and MA states?

Do you know how much refund we'll get if we end up not attending?
From the offer and information form: "6. Commencing Student Default a) A commencing student who withdraws from a program: i) 21 calendar days or more before the scheduled start date of the first study period of enrolment will be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$1000 or if the student is an MD (UQ-Ochsner) student whose written contract with the University requires payment of tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$1000; or ii) less than 21 days before the study period commences until the census date of the study period, the student will be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is an MD (UQOchsner) student who is required to pay tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$3000; and iii) the remainder of tuition fees paid, less any other incurred charges, will be refunded as per the provisions of Section 10. b) A student who does not commence at the University on the agreed starting day (and has not previously withdrawn): i) will have any tuition fee deposit refunded, as per the provisions of Section 10, less a cancellation fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is an MD (UQ-Ochsner) student, less a cancellation fee of US$3000."

From the offer and information form: "6. Commencing Student Default a) A commencing student who withdraws from a program: i) 21 calendar days or more before the scheduled start date of the first study period of enrolment will be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$1000 or if the student is an MD (UQ-Ochsner) student whose written contract with the University requires payment of tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$1000; or ii) less than 21 days before the study period commences until the census date of the study period, the student will be charged a cancellation fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is an MD (UQOchsner) student who is required to pay tuition fees in US dollars, the student will be charged US$3000; and iii) the remainder of tuition fees paid, less any other incurred charges, will be refunded as per the provisions of Section 10. b) A student who does not commence at the University on the agreed starting day (and has not previously withdrawn): i) will have any tuition fee deposit refunded, as per the provisions of Section 10, less a cancellation fee of AUD$3000, or if the student is an MD (UQ-Ochsner) student, less a cancellation fee of US$3000."
so we'll lose $3000 of deposit if we end up not attending? :eek:

Has anyone been accepted with an MCAT below 26? Or is that the cutoff to even be considered for admission?

26 was the cutoff for January 2015 matriculation and still is as far as I know. Not sure how they will look at new MCAT. They have said they would use 26 equivalent for cutoffs on the new MCAT. @michelle21

So I'm taking the MCAT next week, can I submit my application before getting my scores? Or should I wait until the 2017 cycle?
The websites for the Australia schools have been so confusing that I just realized how late I am in the process.

Yeah, it's a pretty steep deposit. It seems like they want to make sure that people are serious about attending.

So I'm taking the MCAT next week, can I submit my application before getting my scores? Or should I wait until the 2017 cycle?
The websites for the Australia schools have been so confusing that I just realized how late I am in the process.
I would submit now; I'm pretty sure that other people have submitted their applications without an MCAT. You'll probably have to wait on the MCAT before they consider you as a candidate but I think that it would be good to have all of your other stuff in and ready to go once to the MCAT is available. Since there isn't an application fee you don't really have anything to lose and the class doesn't usually seem to fill up until the fall

No, you only lose all $3,000 if you wait until less than 21 days before the start of class. If you let them know before that, then it is a $1,000 cancellation fee.

Reactions: 1 user

They won't review your application until your score is out I don't think.

They won't review your application until your score is out I don't think.
i think first, they look at your GPA (and maybe MCAT, too) to determine interview eligibility, then your interview score & MCAT = decision.

Hi all,

Regards,
HS

Yea I agree with this. Also, don't worry about housing yet. Jumping the gun a bit. You will get the Facebook group organized and the OMSA Guide for moving to Brissy, which has info on the neighborhoods.

As far as grading, it depends on the class. We had four classes last semester:
Clinical Science (all your science, including CBL, Anatomy, Phys, Path, Histo): graded on 7 pt scale (4 was a pass)
Clinical Skills (once a week): pass/fail
Ethics: graded on 7 pt scale (4 was pass)
EBM (basically an online class w/ as many attempts needed for quizzes): pass/fail

And as stated previously, we are the first to go through this program so we are in the dark for some things and some aspects are subject to change. There were some instances where we were learning information that the second years haven't learned yet. It can be chaotic at times but next year will be a bit smoother with the trial run under the belt.

Cheers

Reactions: 1 user