Urgent Care Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digambara

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All - Would you recommend ABUCM or ABPS for Urgent Care board certification? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe their wallet is too heavy?
No need for sarcasm. Urgent care is different from traditional IM or FM. Certain positions prefer board certification in UC.

No need for sarcasm. Urgent care is different from traditional IM or FM. Certain positions prefer board certification in UC.
Really? I have worked urgent care for the past 7 years. I have never been told that I needed a different board cert. Interesting. Sounds like a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
That's weird. I've done UC in 3 cities for 5 different companies over the last 3 years and all were plenty happy with my FM board certification. Agree with cabin that this seems a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
The sarcasm was well intentioned- it was meant to highlight that such certification is a waste of money. I've known a lot of people that do and have done urgent care, none of them were boarded in anything other than their primary specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
The sarcasm was well intentioned- it was meant to highlight that such certification is a waste of money. I've known a lot of people that do and have done urgent care, none of them were boarded in anything other than their primary specialty.

All it does is make you appear small. I also practice urgent care. I never referred to UC certification replacing the primary specialty certification. I am considering dual certification in the primary specialty and urgent care.

All it does is make you appear small. I also practice urgent care. I never referred to UC certification replacing the primary specialty certification. I am considering dual certification in the primary specialty and urgent care.

When I worked (albeit briefly) for an Urgent Care concern, some of the other physicians were BC in both FM and UC -- they were members of a UC "academy" -- the impression I got was that the AUC was trying to get recognition as a unique specialty which was different from both Emergency Medicine and Family Medicine.

In my experience (and that's all it is) being boarded in FM has generally been enough --what they really seem to want is board certification....

Reactions: 1 user

It didn't sound like he was implying that either. It sounded more than anything like he was saying that there does not seem to be much utility in doing a UC certification. Is there a specific job that you have lined up that requires it? I too know plenty of docs doing UC with no such additional certification.

I do urgent care as do several physicians (all FM) that are doing fine without UC board certification as long as they've maintained their FM board certification and are licensed.

Obviously, and those of us with decent experience in UC don't get the point of the urgent care boards...

I wouldn't even recommend getting BC if you didn't need it for insurance. It's all garbage. But hey if you want to throw your money away go for it.