Urgent: D+ in AP Bio? Is there still hope for entering college in pre-med?

KalPal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
As you can probably extrapolate from the title, my science course in sophomore did NOT go well, at all. It was my first bio class ever, and I decided to take an AP course instead of regular bio to up the difficulty of my courses, which was a pretty bad decision on my part. In freshman year, I had taken regular courses except for honors math and had received mainly As with a couple Bs, except for a C in math. However, in sophomore year, I took 2 APs and all honors except for marching band and science research when my grades reached their worst point; I got a C- in math and a D+ in bio. Even though I did badly in bio, I was able to manage a 3 on the AP, which I know probably is not considered great by any means, but still better than the grade I received for that year. My grades were mainly Bs, with a couple As that time. However, by junior year, I had managed to turn it around by buckling down and getting all As and A+s in my courses with one B, by taking two regular subject courses (math and history), as well as marching band, orchestra, and chorus. In regards to my difficulty level, I took one AP class, one self study AP, and 3 honors. Overall that brings me up to a ~3.43 GPA, or a B+ average.
I have solid research extra-curriculars in geology and environmental sciences, with 5-6 papers published, a 750$ scholarship, speeches at 2-3 major conferences, and some contest winnings. I’m planning to take this up as my major in college, but I also want to go down the pre-med track, as I am really interested in dentistry. The problem I’ve realized is that, though I am interested, I know that there are many far more qualified students out there, and that I haven’t even done my volunteer hours at hospitals, which is something most students seem to do. All I have is my willingness to take this on, as well as experience in taking care of an Alzheimer patient for 4 years (my grandfather). Are there any possibilities that someone with my grades would have a chance at attempting any of the 7 year med programs, or any pre-med course in general? Or would it be better for me to follow through as a geology student applicant, but change to premed once I arrive at a college? I'm applying to college next year, so any speedy advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get into an accredited college, you can apply to med school, and everything academic from high school will be washed away. You can certainly get into a college with a couple bad grades and you don't have to apply for a pre-med track - that's usually something you decide when you get there. I don't know if you will be able to get into BS/MD programs with a lower GPA though - they're usually quite selective.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can get into an accredited college, you can apply to med school, and everything academic from high school will be washed away. You can certainly get into a college with a couple bad grades and you don't have to apply for a pre-med track - that's usually something you decide when you get there. I don't know if you will be able to get into BS/MD programs with a lower GPA though - they're usually quite selective.
I was under the impression that AP classes are calculated into your AMCAS GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was under the impression that AP classes are calculated into your AMCAS GPA?
Not unless your college gives you a letter grade for it. It's on your transcript if your college gives you credit, but it's generally just "credit" and doesn't carry a grade.

Reactions: 1 user
I have solid research extra-curriculars in geology and environmental sciences, with 5-6 papers published, a 750$ scholarship, speeches at 2-3 major conferences, and some contest winnings.
+1 to everything Wedge said.

Focus on getting into college first. C's and D's are going to be problematic for many reputable 4-year universities (such as your state flagship, etc.). Is your 3.43 overall GPA weighted? BS/MD is unlikely, as they usually require 3.7+ unweighted to be competitive. Focus more on the SAT/ACT and less on medicine for the moment.

Also out of curiosity how as a 15 (?) year old rising HS junior do you have 5-6 publications and 2-3 talks? Are these peer-reviewed scientific journals and academic conferences?

Last edited:
I'm a rising senior actually, but I work at a mentorship with a person who's considered an international expert in my field. :) She speaks at a lot of academic conferences and due to the level of research we do, she is able to get us places where we can speak. And yes, the journals are scientific journals whose articles have been reviewed by multiple people before it's published (eg: Journal of Quaternary Geochronology) ; this is part of the reason why it's a solid EC for me.

Yup, 3.43 unweighted. Weighted, it's over a 4.0 on my school's scale. I'm in the top 50%, but that's it (this info doesn't go out to colleges). Our school is well noted nationally for our academic level, I don't know if that really plays a part in how colleges look at your grades and whatnot.

I'm aiming for colleges like NYU and Stonybrook. @md-2020, when you say it's problematic for reputable 4-year universities, do you mean in general?

Oof, yeah, I had a feeling a BS/MD would be rather a far stretch.

Would you guys suggest to basically try to focus on my SAT scores and tests like that before medicine, just to get the most I can out of my high school years?

Also, does 12th grade first semester count for your GPA?

I'm aiming for colleges like NYU and Stonybrook. @md-2020, when you say it's problematic for reputable 4-year universities, do you mean in general?
Oof, yeah, I had a feeling a BS/MD would be rather a far stretch.
Would you guys suggest to basically try to focus on my SAT scores and tests like that before medicine, just to get the most I can out of my high school years?
Also, does 12th grade first semester count for your GPA?
Congrats on the research, if you really like it stick with it.

For colleges: yes, BS/MD is very unlikely w/ a 3.43 unfortunately. As for NYU & Stony Brook for undergrad, I think you have a fair shot at both, especially if you do solidly on your SAT.
I am suggesting you focus on your SAT because that will determine what type of undergrad college you get into, which like it or not (and despite postings on here sometimes) will affect your med school admissions.

1st semester of senior year will count for regular decision applications, not for ED/REA/EA I believe.

Prestige of high school won't matter a ton, you might get a slight extra glance if you went to a Trinity, Bronx Science, Brooklyn Latin-esque place though.

Thanks about the research!
It's okay, I was just wondering about BS/MD, but I did have a pretty strong feeling that it wouldn't really be that possible.

How high should I be aiming in my SAT? As of now, I'm teetering on the 2000s mark, but I'd imagine a higher score would be better.

Would you suggest EA or try to let my GPA increase and do regular decision?

Thanks about the research!
It's okay, I was just wondering about BS/MD, but I did have a pretty strong feeling that it wouldn't really be that possible.

How high should I be aiming in my SAT? As of now, I'm teetering on the 2000s mark, but I'd imagine a higher score would be better.

Would you suggest EA or try to let my GPA increase and do regular decision?
If you're aiming for NYU or Stony Brook, EA will help you, as your GPA is within the normal realm of acceptees.

SAT literally as high as you can.

Gotcha. How much does EA really help, if you know?

Once again, thanks so much, your help is INVALUABLE.

Gotcha. How much does EA really help, if you know?

Once again, thanks so much, your help is INVALUABLE.
For NYU, I've heard there isn't a significant difference in acceptance rate, but the applicant pool in RD is so massive (50k+) that if you know you want to go there, I'd just go EA.

This is again contingent on a competitive SAT (look up NYU's averages for a general idea).

Sounds good. NYU is my dream school (as it is for many other people), so I'll just set the goal of working on upping my SAT score; it is well within the range over there, but with a lower GPA, having a higher SAT score sure wouldn't hurt.
And of course, the essays, but I'll jump that hurdle when I get to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to put all of my horrible grades before me, and this is why I thank god I dropped out of high school.

You're pretty much toast for BA/MD, but your gpa is not bad enough for you to have to go to CC. Your EC's are decent, but almost all BA-S/MD applicants have EC's as good if not better than yours + 4.0/2400. Just get a higher GPA in college. You will need to learn how to overcome difficult courses however.

Ohh, alright. I had a feeling there was basically no chance, but I just wanted clarification from better sources. Thanks for your response though; do you have any tips for approaching such courses in college?

Last edited:
Ohh, alright. I had a feeling there was basically no chance, but I just wanted clarification from better sources. Thanks for your response though; do you have any tips for approaching such courses in college?

Time management, staying on top of the subject. Also, read the lecture material/textbook before class. Common sense.

Your performance in high school is entirely and absolutely irrelevant to medical and dental or any graduate school. That being said understand whether your performance flaws in AP bio was simply a lack of interest in the subject and field or another reason. Understand that any health care field is an enormous condensed stream of non-stop biology for 4 years. If you don't find biology interesting then chances are you will not be happy in medicine or dental school and in which case geology, which seems to be more your passion might be a better fit.

Your high school grades will only impact your college grades/med school chances if you let them. Keep confidence in yourself and get good grades in college. The same applies to college grades and medical school. As others have said, med schools don't give a diddle what you did in high school.

Yes, there is hope. You should take a look at why you earned a D+ and set the ship straight before you start college.

If you truly give it your all, it will be possible. AP is typically a first semester college course. You will need to figure out what is wrong though, or else courses like O-Chem will really **** with your gpa.

Sounds good. NYU is my dream school (as it is for many other people), so I'll just set the goal of working on upping my SAT score; it is well within the range over there, but with a lower GPA, having a higher SAT score sure wouldn't hurt.
And of course, the essays, but I'll jump that hurdle when I get to it.

A 1900+ on SATs would probably do it.
I had a 3.2 GPA unweighted, 3.7 weighted and a 33 ACT/1980 SAT and they accepted me. Very few EC's, 300 hours volunteer total. Wasn't about to pay $60k a year so I didn't go.

If you do ED, the deadline is November something so 1st Sem senior grades won't be out. If you do regular its by Jan 1st, so your grades may be out depending on if your school has finalized grades and can send them before holidays.

As for your AP course grade, no one will see it after college. They'll show up on your transcript as AP Credit - x units. Your college may use the actual AP score (If you get a 4 or 5) to substitute for a prereq when figuring out minimum major declaration GPAs but that's about it.

I didn't bother to read the rest.
Pre-med isn't a real "major" - and any college who says it is - is stupid. Pre-med is basically biology major with more health classes. You can do the same with biology major and select more medical courses as electives.

Hell, you can even do a total different field and select courses to satisfy the pre med pre-reqs - that's all "pre-med" is.