Urgent help:best major for mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zizou

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a slightconfusion. I am going to a Canadian university (mcgill) and I am skipping the freshman year.I was wondering what was the best major that will unable me to get a better grade in the mcat (biology section). I am thinking in choosing biology, or "Anatomy and cell biology". Is it a better idea to get Biology or the other. Please tell me what you think i need to decide very soon

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with Anatomy and Cell Biology. On the MCAT, there is a lot of anatomy and physiology of the cell as well as the systems. However, if you feel that you will not be successful at achieving a high GPA then go for something else. Good Luck

I think biochemistry would be best.

You get chemistry, you get organic chemistry, and you get all that good stuff on cell respiratation and metabolism. If you take an extra class on physio, you're pretty set.

i don't think you should decide your major based on how well prepared it will make you for the mcat.

however, with that being said, i think anything bio related will give you a solid foundation. i was a biology and society major, where i got a good foundation in biology, but also had to do a lot of reading and writing which helped improve my verbal skills in way that i may not have been able to if i had done regular bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Topper Harley said:
major in english. no joke.

I was an English major. Helps with abstract concepts and thinking in writing. Pretty much any humanities (e.g philosophy, history, etc.) would do the same though.

XKV said:
I was an English major. Helps with abstract concepts and thinking in writing. Pretty much any humanities (e.g philosophy, history, etc.) would do the same though.

i was a chem major but now that i'm in my second year of med school i really wish i had majored in english or history as an undergrad.... all the science just gets tedious after a while....... and thats coming from someone that LOVES science, looking back from this vantage point it would have been nice to have more variety

Arsenic810 said:
i was a chem major but now that i'm in my second year of med school i really wish i had majored in english or history as an undergrad.... all the science just gets tedious after a while....... and thats coming from someone that LOVES science, looking back from this vantage point it would have been nice to have more variety

I am chemistry and biochemistry major I think I am very prepared for the sciences, however with the verbal being the achilese heel... I think you should just choose the major that you are most interested in. Interest means better and higher grades, and waking up excited to go to school instead of treating it like the daily grind.