Urgent Help: MCAT 260 (7VR, 9PS, 10BS), 3.55 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying from Canada. I know 8, 8, 8 is a minimum for Australia. Can I still apply, do I still have a chance??

Members don't see this ad.

People on here have said that UQueensland doesn't stick to their minimum 8/8/8. But, I'm just going based on what other people have said so take it for what its worth.

You still have time to take the MCAT again. I'd recommend you start reading a book a week and the newspapers everyday.. you should be able to boost up that 7 to and 8 in a month or two.

Unfortunately you will have to retake the MCAT, almost all schools will want a minimum of 8 on each numbered section of the exam. Some schools might give you a break though.

Members don't see this ad :)
UQ is likely your only shot with that.

It's likely you will get an offer from them as folks with exactly the same scores have been getting in with that (and there is no interview and the GPA is a hurdle @ 2.7, so you're fine).

You may still have a shot if you apply now. Email oztrekk or australearn and inquire with them.

Good luck

UQ has been sort of first-come-first-serve with their admissions this year, so you might have a chance for next year. Talk to OzTREKK; they MIGHT still be able to get you a place this year, but it'll be unlikely with the 7 on the VR. If you're applying next year, you have plenty of time to retake the MCAT.

Just to clarify (some people don't realize this) - most Australian schools have terms starting in January of every year (rather than August, like American schools). So if you're thinking about applying for the 2010 intake, it might be too late.

UQ has been sort of first-come-first-serve with their admissions this year, so you might have a chance for next year. Talk to OzTREKK; they MIGHT still be able to get you a place this year, but it'll be unlikely with the 7 on the VR. If you're applying next year, you have plenty of time to retake the MCAT.

Just to clarify (some people don't realize this) - most Australian schools have terms starting in January of every year (rather than August, like American schools). So if you're thinking about applying for the 2010 intake, it might be too late.

Yes I am actually applying for the 2010 intake (dont wanna miss my fourth year of undergrad after all!). So should I cross my fingers for UQ? Or should I retake the MCAT before hand...I would really like to avoid doing that though since the problem was not lack of studying nor practice, it is my bilingualism that ruined my VR score and very hard to improve in it so quickly.

Yes I am actually applying for the 2010 intake (dont wanna miss my fourth year of undergrad after all!). So should I cross my fingers for UQ? Or should I retake the MCAT before hand...I would really like to avoid doing that though since the problem was not lack of studying nor practice, it is my bilingualism that ruined my VR score and very hard to improve in it so quickly.

Well, you won't have to rewrite it for now. Your application will go in and you will either be accepted or not within a month or two.

If you don't get in (which means the class is full and everyone is confirmed), rewriting would be your best option. So, until then, just cross your fingers, knock on wood and hope for the best.

In the meanwhile, be sure to read up on Australian schools. There are some vital points you need to know before attending. Most pertaining to job prospects, education quality, cost, loans, etc.

My blog below covers a lot of the points, but of course that's my pov on some of the situations. The views on this forum are quite varied as well. Anyways, hope it works out for you.

i didnt get the part where u said that i will either get accepted or not within a month or two. I thought applications for the 2011 intake starts around march, applying now for the 2010 intake is too late isn't it?

Also i couldnt find your blog.

thnx.

Well, you won't have to rewrite it for now. Your application will go in and you will either be accepted or not within a month or two.

If you don't get in (which means the class is full and everyone is confirmed), rewriting would be your best option. So, until then, just cross your fingers, knock on wood and hope for the best.

In the meanwhile, be sure to read up on Australian schools. There are some vital points you need to know before attending. Most pertaining to job prospects, education quality, cost, loans, etc.

My blog below covers a lot of the points, but of course that's my pov on some of the situations. The views on this forum are quite varied as well. Anyways, hope it works out for you.

i didnt get the part where u said that i will either get accepted or not within a month or two. I thought applications for the 2011 intake starts around march, applying now for the 2010 intake is too late isn't it?

Also i couldnt find your blog.

thnx.

It's likely not too late with people declining still. It doesn't hurt to still submit an app through oztrekk. There is no fee and you literally only have to type in your name/relevant information and send them your transcript/mcat verification.

Sorry about that. Signatures seem finicky on this board.
Blog here

The 2010 school year starts in January, so it's usually filled up a few months in advance. Cross your fingers and apply, but you won't have time to re-take the MCAT.

If you want to apply for the 2011 school year, then you'll have plenty of time.

The 2010 school year starts in January, so it's usually filled up a few months in advance. Cross your fingers and apply, but you won't have time to re-take the MCAT.

If you want to apply for the 2011 school year, then you'll have plenty of time.

Thanks everyone for the help. I submitted an application for the january 2010 intake. I will let you know how it goes! Wish me luck!

Thnx!