This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hellotomcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you pass CK, then I think the chances of getting a prelim GS spot are reasonably good -- you'd have an advanced spot already (i.e. you won't need time off to interview), you're a US grad.

If you don't pass CK, getting a prelim GS spot with two fails is going to be a challenge. Programs will worry you won't be able to pass it in time for onboarding. Probably better to rank your Cat programs first.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you aProgDirector,

I've been a long time reader and your advice/tips have been invaluable. That's also the general consensus from everyone I've talked to. Ultimately, it's how much risk am I willing to take. End of December my failed step2ck was 5 points away from passing. I did study my ass off for 3 weeks for the retake, and although I was more stressed/anxious this time, I felt the exam went slightly better (knock on wood).

I think given my portfolio, I will most likely do a mix, but I feel like this is an incredibly difficult situation. I will have to give it some more thoughts on this -- Cat 1, cat 2, cat 3, dream advanced, cat 4, cat 5, adv, adv . . .

Thank you aProgDirector,

I've been a long time reader and your advice/tips have been invaluable. That's also the general consensus from everyone I've talked to. Ultimately, it's how much risk am I willing to take. End of December my failed step2ck was 5 points away from passing. I did study my ass off for 3 weeks for the retake, and although I was more stressed/anxious this time, I felt the exam went slightly better (knock on wood).

I think given my portfolio, I will most likely do a mix, but I feel like this is an incredibly difficult situation. I will have to give it some more thoughts on this -- Cat 1, cat 2, cat 3, dream advanced, cat 4, cat 5, adv, adv . . .

What match violation?

What match violation?

The OP mentioned that if they match advanced, and then can't get a prelim, that they would be dropped from their Advanced spot which would = "forced match violation"

That's not actually correct. They would be dropped by their advanced program as they would no longer qualify if they couldn't get a prelim year in time. It would result in a match waiver, not a violation.

Reactions: 1 users
The OP mentioned that if they match advanced, and then can't get a prelim, that they would be dropped from their Advanced spot which would = "forced match violation"

That's not actually correct. They would be dropped by their advanced program as they would no longer qualify if they couldn't get a prelim year in time. It would result in a match waiver, not a violation.

Oh ok. thanks.

What is the advanced specialty? Did you release you step 2 ck failure to the intern programs you applied to? If they don’t know you failed the first time you may still be ok if they don’t require ck to rank.

One other thing to be aware of going forward, if you don’t end up at a good prelim IM program you need to be hyper vigilant in preparing for step 3. You are at high risk for failing step 3, and without the knowledge you learn from an IM intern program, you are going to really have to step up your game to pass.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the advanced specialty? Did you release you step 2 ck failure to the intern programs you applied to? If they don’t know you failed the first time you may still be ok if they don’t require ck to rank.

One other thing to be aware of going forward, if you don’t end up at a good prelim IM program you need to be hyper vigilant in preparing for step 3. You are at high risk for failing step 3, and without the knowledge you learn from an IM intern program, you are going to really have to step up your game to pass.

I did not release step2ck failure to the pgy-1 prelim programs since this happened so recently.
I understand there is a high risk for failing step 3 and will definitely remember your words wherever I end up. Thanks for the word of caution! I get flushed during exams and my mind goes blank... (I was completely red); I know it's not an excuse, but it's something I've been actively working on trying to be better at.

Last edited:
I did not release step2ck failure to the pgy-1 prelim programs since this happened so recently.
I understand there is a high risk for failing step 3 and will definitely remember your words wherever I end up. Thanks for the word of caution! I get flushed during exams and my mind goes blank... (I was completely red); I know it's not an excuse, but it's something I've been actively working on trying to be better at.

Just out of curiosity, why so adamant about surgery? There are other good fields to go into. just saying!

Just out of curiosity, why so adamant about surgery? There are other good fields to go into. just saying!
Just out of curiosity, why so adamant about not actually reading the OP?

The question is not about getting a surgery residency, but about the possibility of picking up a GS prelim in SOAP with a 2CK failure on his/her app if s/he fails to match prelim but does get advanced.