URGENT! Which prep course is the best!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imsofly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been lurking around since 3 years ago. Now it's time for me to prepare studying for the mcats! I am going to be a junior next semester so i'm looking for a good prep course to take for the mcat over the summer.

A lot of people told me to take exam crackers or princeton? Can you guys tell me which prep course you took and how you did on the MCAT? and also when is the best time to take the mcat or the "normal" time everyone takes it around? summer after junior year?

Thanks for your time guys i'll appreciate any type of feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been lurking around since 3 years ago. Now it's time for me to prepare studying for the mcats! I am going to be a junior next semester so i'm looking for a good prep course to take for the mcat over the summer.

A lot of people told me to take exam crackers or princeton? Can you guys tell me which prep course you took and how you did on the MCAT? and also when is the best time to take the mcat or the "normal" time everyone takes it around? summer after junior year?

I used BKR. Their sciences are excellent but the VR section is not representative of the real MCAT so you want to buy AAMC practice tests too and use VR 101 from EK (still not the same as real MCAT but ok for practice).

The "best" time for you to take the MCAT is when your'e ready. The "normal" time is a point of contention. Take the MCAT when you're ready, whether that be the summer after your sophomore year or two years after you graduate.

As for prep classes, the only ones in my area are Kaplan and PR. I've been using PR and EK books, and really like both. Figure out what you need out of your prep class (whether it be a thorough review, reteaching some parts of the test, or something less intense) and then compare that to what is offered in your area. Everyone's had good and bad experiences with all prep classes.

thank you for your reply!

the thing with me is after I finish a class, I basically forget everything I learned. Well not literally but I'm goign to need more "brushing up" than others. So can anyone recommend a course that will re-teach briefly or review over the main subjects?

and also what does BKR mean? does that mean Barrons or something? I'm sorry guys, I'm new to this =/

Members don't see this ad :)
Which test prep companies are near where you live? I personally like TPR and their material, but depending on your location and financial situation, you may want to go with TBR or Kaplan.

Just anecdotal experiences from friends,

but if you're talking about the big 2 (Kaplan and Princeton Review), I've heard that Kaplan is better if your science is a bit rusty, and Princeton Review has better pure-test taking strategies (although I've heard Kaplan's aren't that bad either). Princeton Review definitely has better verbal prep (their verbal workbook is supposedly amazing), so if you take Kaplan, I'd look in the for sale forum on here or on eBay and pick up a copy of the Princeton Review verbal workbook to supplement the Kaplan course.

Obviously people have different opinions on it. Some swear by Kaplan and some swear by Princeton Review. Other people self-study with only Exam Krackers or only Berkeley Review, and some self-study with both. Still others will throw in Nova physics just for help with that subject and then use Princeton Review for verbal along with Berkeley Review for the four science subjects. I think the most important thing in the end is not what course you pick or what books you choose (because all of them are at least decent), but the time and effort you put in. Everyone has a peak score that they are able to reach, obviously (most people could never score a 40 even if they spent 2000 hours over one year prepping for it), but AAMC recommends at least 250 hours studying if I remember correctly. I don't think that's the amount of studying that will peak most people's score, however. If your knowledge of basic science is near flawless then perhaps 250 hours will get you to your peak, but for a lot of people (myself included) who have flaws in our science content knowledge, I think 450-500 hours is probably the amount of studying that will allow us to reach our peak scores. The studying has to be targeted and efficient as well -- you should do practice tests regularly (AAMC practice tests are best for this, especially the later ones (7-11) but I've heard good things about Berkeley Review and Kaplan as well), and you should keep track of what types of questions you're missing in what subjects, so you can focus on your weak areas to boost your overall score. If you're taking the test July 6th, that gives you 63 days starting tomorrow. That's 9 weeks. If you take one day off per week, that gives you 54 days. Figure on at least 8 hours per day and you'll be somewhat near 500 hours and probably near your peak. I'd spend the first 6 weeks doing exclusively content review with lots of practice questions (with some Kaplan or BR practice tests mixed in every 4-5 days) and the last 3 weeks doing two AAMC practice tests while shoring up your weak areas that the AAMC tests expose. That's my plan, and I'm planning a July test date as well.

I had been out of school for 5 years when I took the MCAT. Being in a job where I needed know next to no science made it tough to relearn everything I had forgotten. But I saved up what I think was about $2000 and took Kaplan's review course. It was a bi-weekly class for 3 hours per class.

I think it was 3 months long, and I got a 34P. Not a stellar score but not shabby by any means. Kaplan was great, but I have no means to compare it with Princeton Review or the others. I also bought some exam kracker books off amazon and studied their "1001" questions.

In the end I think it matters more how you study, than which course you take. Study hard, study smart and understand the basics; you will do well.

The "best" time for you to take the MCAT is when your'e ready. The "normal" time is a point of contention. Take the MCAT when you're ready, whether that be the summer after your sophomore year or two years after you graduate.

As for prep classes, the only ones in my area are Kaplan and PR. I've been using PR and EK books, and really like both. Figure out what you need out of your prep class (whether it be a thorough review, reteaching some parts of the test, or something less intense) and then compare that to what is offered in your area. Everyone's had good and bad experiences with all prep classes.

Having just taken the MCAT, and using TPR and TBR, a good 50% of my MCAT was not covered in depth / to the level I would want it to by TPR. At all. This is discounting the in-depth discretes.

They all suck, I teach for one and I still think they suck.

Use the Knocked Up strategy:

PS: TBR passages and TPR passages

BS: Nature, Science, Cell, PNAS, Journal of Experimental Medicine
Combine this with a good read through of a highly regarded Physiology book, the one they currently use at hopkins and harvard for undergrad is outstanding
Give the first half of the TPR bio book a read
Get a genetics book and work out genetics problems

Verbal: any and everything you can get your hands on

Take a solid nap during writing sections

They all suck, I teach for one and I still think they suck.

Use the Knocked Up strategy:

PS: TBR passages and TPR passages

BS: Nature, Science, Cell, PNAS, Journal of Experimental Medicine
Combine this with a good read through of a highly regarded Physiology book, the one they currently use at hopkins and harvard for undergrad is outstanding
Give the first half of the TPR bio book a read
Get a genetics book and work out genetics problems

Verbal: any and everything you can get your hands on

Take a solid nap during writing sections

Will reading those actually help?

wow guys thanks!

I'm confused as to when I should take the test though. I am going to be a junior next semester. I have all my classes done except orgo 2 and bio 2 and physics 2 which I'll be taking next semester. So does this mean I should take my MCAT next summer?

wow guys thanks!

I'm confused as to when I should take the test though. I am going to be a junior next semester. I have all my classes done except orgo 2 and bio 2 and physics 2 which I'll be taking next semester. So does this mean I should take my MCAT next summer?

Preferably, yes. Don't rush the MCAT. The worst thing you want to do is rush taking the MCAT and find out that you're not ready, or worse, find out that you didn't do well on the actual MCAT and will have to retake.

I would recommend The Princeton Review. I took a prep course and it REALLY helped a lot. They kind of over prepare you for the exam so that when you take the real thing it doesn't seem as intimidating. I also used ExamCrackers books to reinforce some concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having just taken the MCAT, and using TPR and TBR, a good 50% of my MCAT was not covered in depth / to the level I would want it to by TPR. At all. This is discounting the in-depth discretes.

What? I thought TPR went way more in depth than was needed... Everything else could have been taken from the passages.

Anyone here used EK? A couple of my friends really liked it, but I am still trying to decide between EK and TPR.

Remember: You can't buy a good MCAT score.

Ok, that said. I think that taking a course is good for:
1. structure, pace and deadlines
2. resources
3. companionship

I think that courses are flawed with:
1. staff management (sometimes teachers miss class because company makes scheduling errors)
2. crowded classes (more people = more$$)
3. Bogus strategies that sound good (there are no back-door strategies for the MCAT)

I believe that all of these pros/cons can be more or less the same with most companies except for resources.

I was very happy with my TPR choice because of the resources. The quantity of HW problems is astounding, you get 19 FL if you count the three PR Practice TEsts, and you get a trashload of bonus online passages. As my Verbal instructor said, there are no students in the world quite like MCAT students based on the amount of problems and tests they are willing to do. . . These bonuses far outweighed the frustrations of TPR. EG, I think TPR verbal strategy is distracting and was unhappy with some of the company choices, like classroom size and fullness along with occasional teacher absences.

I chose TPR because I actually wanted more classroom hours and content review. I didn't take the TBR course because it was six days a week and I couldn't make that commute, though I considered renting in the area for three months. I didn't take Examkrackers because I did not even know they offered classes. I didn't choose Kaplan because my research suggested they were more strategy based and I don't like complex test-taking strategies.

Whichever you choose, don't do the bare minimum. Use every problem, passage and test you can get and get your money's worth.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks a lot! this really helped. As a final decision I think I might choose princeton review prep course. 2000 bucks but HOPEFULLY its worth it!

You can call PR and ask for a discount... when I got my course I got 200 off due to promotional sale and when I got my verbal course I ask the representative if he could lower the price and he take off 74 dollars from the 499.

oh wow thanks I didn't know they give discounts! I'll definitely look into princeton review. Everyone of my friends told me great things. I'm the "start from scratch" type of dude, I'm going to need a lot of material review because I'm sure I forgot a lot.

If you live in the california area, I would look into Berkeley Review. If not, I personally have heard better things about princeton than kaplan (fairly decent n as far as anecdotes go as well), but I'm sure there is regional variability there

Honestly, I would try a company I used call Top Test Prep. I did MCAT prep tutoring with their MCAT team, and improved my score by 11 points... got a 36 on the actual exam, including a T writing score.

I know they're less well known, but definitely the fastest growing MCAT tutor company I know out there. Anyways, check out Top Test Prep .. and hope that helps!

well, you can't take TBR if you're not in CA.
i heard TPR offers you their CBTs as well as all of AAMCs CBTs? (which is a good deal) on top of their books.
if you're struggling with science, then TBR books are great.

Really believe the smaller tutoring services are the way to go - recently finished a 6 week course with Tutor the People (tutorthepeople.com) and saw awesome results. I had private one-on-one lessons with their tutor guru Ben for like half the price of Kaplan/PR. Plus they give 5% of the commission to Children of Promise - a local non profit for underprivileged children with academic tutoring needs - which is pretty cool stuff. Just one guys opinion.

I agree with M Blaylock, and I suggest saving your money and studying on your own. My friend and I both performed similarly in Organic Chemistry, and my friend went with a prep company and I decided to study on my own for the MCAT. He scored a 515 and I was able to score a 522. I am sure we both worked equally hard, but I think the difference comes from being able to control your study and being able to use the best resources. Test prep companies will train you using their resources, which includes very few of the official AAMC practice problems (problems written by the people who wrote the MCAT!). During my study I found test prep companies' practice exams and practice questions to be subpar. I feel like they take you off track more than help you. I would suggest making a study plan that uses various resources (AAMC, Khan, Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrakers). Variety is your friend.

Also, if you feel like you need more structure/someone to guide you through the study process and help you with challenging questions, I would suggest finding a tutor. Test prep companies will charge you outrageous prices for tutoring. If you search around online, you can find better deals on tutors. It is helpful to tutor with someone that performed well on the exam already and can give you peace of mind about your preparation.

Lastly, I enjoyed studying on my own because I was able to make the plan that worked for me. I was able to study from home and study only as much as I could each week (very helpful since I was still taking classes during my exam prep). Best of luck with your preparation!

Last edited: