URM - poor stats - should I apply this cycle to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amberofthemomen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I don't post on SDN often, but I've lurked these forums for years. Anyway, here is where I'm at:

I'm a URM (non-mexican Hispanic), going to be 25 in april
Degree: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

CGPA: 2.53
SGPA: 2.41 (post bac grades factored)
DO,CGPA: 2.80 or so (w/ 3 retakes + post bac grades factored)
DO,SGPA: 2.71 (w/ 3 retakes + post bac grades factored)
PostBac GPA (15 SEM units so far, taken a la carte at state school): 3.7

MCAT: Haven't taken, although I have been studying very diligently for about a month, expected to take the test May 23rd.

ECs (projected by this application cycle):

- 80 Hours ER volunteer
- 295 Hours Volunteered in HIV research laboratory
- Employed in the above research laboratory for 3 months
- Tutored at a necessary education high school for 3 months
- Employed as a Substitute teacher (almost a year now)
- Shadowing (haven't started yet, currently calling doctors)

LORs (Have 2 of these going to collect the others this coming feb – everyone has agreed to write)

- Human Physiology + Cardiovascular Physiology professor (A, A- respectively)
- Chemistry 2 professor (A-)(recent retake, professor's memory of me is fresh)
- PI of laboratory (UCSF professor of medicine)
- Post doc in laboratory (UCSF associate professor of medicine)
- Principal of necessary education high school

My questions:

1) If I score well on my MCAT (32+), should I apply this cycle? Or should I wait till next cycle?

2) Right now, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to save up all of my money earned through work and then take a full course load for 3 entire quarters next year (or at least try to, it's about 1500 a class). If I do this, I could theoretically push my GPA (DO gpa of course) far over the 3.0 mark with grade replacement. Should I just wait on this even if I score excellently on the MCAT?

3) How long can I keep letters of recommendation? Do you think it's safe to let them sit for a year?

4) How bad is it to reapply to schools that have rejected you? If it's not good to do this, then I think waiting a year would be the better choice.

I want to be in osteopathic medical school as quickly as I can be. That's the only reason why I ask if it's possible to get some interviews based on a high MCAT score.

I've sufficiently handled the issues that i've had in the past with studying. I can easily sit down and put in 6 hours of non-stop, meaningful studying these days. I had to teach myself (with great difficulty) how to be responsible, how to learn, and how to actually study without just staring at words.

And yes, I realize that I've permanently screwed this life up (video game addiction, before you ask). Cut me some slack, I'm trying to make do with what I've got.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello there. I don't post on SDN often, but I've lurked these forums for years. Anyway, here is where I'm at:

I'm a URM (non-mexican Hispanic), going to be 25 in april
Degree: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

CGPA: 2.53
SGPA: 2.41 (post bac grades factored)
DO,CGPA: 2.80 or so (w/ 3 retakes + post bac grades factored)
DO,SGPA: 2.71 (w/ 3 retakes + post bac grades factored)
PostBac GPA (15 SEM units so far, taken a la carte at state school): 3.7

MCAT: Haven't taken, although I have been studying very diligently for about a month, expected to take the test May 23rd.

ECs (projected by this application cycle):

- 80 Hours ER volunteer
- 295 Hours Volunteered in HIV research laboratory
- Employed in the above research laboratory for 3 months
- Tutored at a necessary education high school for 3 months
- Employed as a Substitute teacher (almost a year now)
- Shadowing (haven't started yet, currently calling doctors)

LORs (Have 2 of these going to collect the others this coming feb – everyone has agreed to write)

- Human Physiology + Cardiovascular Physiology professor (A, A- respectively)
- Chemistry 2 professor (A-)(recent retake, professor's memory of me is fresh)
- PI of laboratory (UCSF professor of medicine)
- Post doc in laboratory (UCSF associate professor of medicine)
- Principal of necessary education high school

My questions:

1) If I score well on my MCAT (32+), should I apply this cycle? Or should I wait till next cycle?

2) Right now, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to save up all of my money earned through work and then take a full course load for 3 entire quarters next year (or at least try to, it's about 1500 a class). If I do this, I could theoretically push my GPA (DO gpa of course) far over the 3.0 mark with grade replacement. Should I just wait on this even if I score excellently on the MCAT?

3) How long can I keep letters of recommendation? Do you think it's safe to let them sit for a year?

4) How bad is it to reapply to schools that have rejected you? If it's not good to do this, then I think waiting a year would be the better choice.

I want to be in osteopathic medical school as quickly as I can be. That's the only reason why I ask if it's possible to get some interviews based on a high MCAT score.

I've sufficiently handled the issues that i've had in the past with studying. I can easily sit down and put in 6 hours of non-stop, meaningful studying these days. I had to teach myself (with great difficulty) how to be responsible, how to learn, and how to actually study without just staring at words.

And yes, I realize that I've permanently screwed this life up (video game addiction, before you ask). Cut me some slack, I'm trying to make do with what I've got.

Very very few people get in with GPA's in the 2.0-2.8 range. Do some kind of Post bac, masters and try for at least 3.0 gpa's.

Last edited:
GPA way too low, even for a URM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
0% I'm URM with way higher GPA and EC that runs laps around those. My only thing doing bad is my MCAT. I haven't gotten an acceptance. I think even with a 32+, they will see that low GPA like they see my MCAT.

Interesting.

Feel free not to answer this if you don't feel comfortable about it, but what was your MCAT score?

Did you apply broadly to DO? I was planning to send out many applications, specifically targeting schools that are friendly to OOS applicants.

Did you apply to any MD schools?

Agreed, I wouldn't worry about the MCAT for now and focus on at least getting above a 3.0. Grade replacement should get you there.

I understand your strategy.

I'm presently studying for the MCAT because I have a free 4 months available without school. Of course, I'm currently working full time but my job is not very taxing, so I can easily go home and put in some excellent study time. I originally tried to study for the MCAT while working and going to school simultaneously last term, but I found I just couldn't get in any meaningful studying. Remember, because of my poor academic experience, there are certain areas that I have to self-teach myself with my TBR books (namely ochem and gen chem, although my gen chem is very sharp at the moment).

The idea is that I'll take the MCAT and based on the score decide what I want to do, be it apply this cycle, wait for my grades to be bumped past 3.0 for next cycle, or decide not to pursue medicine (Any score below a 27 will let me know that i'm not cut out for medicine).

Edit: I should also mention that an MCAT score would allow me to pursue certain SMPs (there are some that require a minimum of a 2.5 GPA and yes, I understand that these are very competitive as well).

Last edited:
I understand your strategy.

I'm presently studying for the MCAT because I have a free 4 months available without school. Of course, I'm currently working full time but my job is not very taxing, so I can easily go home and put in some excellent study time. I originally tried to study for the MCAT while working and going to school simultaneously last term, but I found I just couldn't get in any meaningful studying. Remember, because of my poor academic experience, there are certain areas that I have to self-teach myself with my TBR books (namely ochem and gen chem, although my gen chem is very sharp at the moment).

The idea is that I'll take the MCAT and based on the score decide what I want to do, be it apply this cycle, wait for my grades to be bumped past 3.0 for next cycle, or decide not to pursue medicine (Any score below a 27 will let me know that i'm not cut out for medicine).

Edit: I should also mention that an MCAT score would allow me to pursue certain SMPs (there are some that require a minimum of a 2.5 GPA and yes, I understand that these are very competitive as well).

This seems like a good plan....

I have to give a big ol' :thumbdown: to this statement. Under no circumstance should you rush this process. If I were you and I really wanted to be a doctor, I would take this cycle and possibly the next one off to improve my gpa. If you retook the science courses you did poorly in and get all A's, your GPA will bounce up.

Also, if you scored below a 27 on the MCAT, it doesn't mean you aren't capable of scoring a 30+ the next time you take it. There are a ton of factors that come into play when you take this test. The more time you put into it and the smarter you study it, the better you will do.

But seriously, just get the GPA up. If you do that and get a 24+, you should score some interviews. This whole process is very stressful, costly, and time-consuming but if you really want to be a doctor, you can't give up! Trust me, this was my 3rd cycle.

That PB GPA will be your saving grace.

No, it's inda late int e cycle, and I'm afraid you'll be competing for a wait-list position. best to wat a few months, and you'll be presenting a much better package

Yes. we've rejected URM candidates with low uGPAs or cGPAs, so it will be best to get that GPA up over the auto-cutoff line.

2) Right now, I’m thinking that it might be a good idea to save up all of my money earned through work and then take a full course load for 3 entire quarters next year (or at least try to, it’s about 1500 a class). If I do this, I could theoretically push my GPA (DO gpa of course) far over the 3.0 mark with grade replacement. Should I just wait on this even if I score excellently on the MCAT?

A few years is fine. One year is not a problem.
3) How long can I keep letters of recommendation? Do you think it’s safe to let them sit for a year?

It's not bad to do this, but you will need to show how you've improved from the reject pile to the accept pile. Merely doing some volunteer work won't cut it.

Waiting one year isn't going to kill you. You'll be practicing medicine for the next 30-40 years, you know.

I want to be in osteopathic medical school as quickly as I can be. That’s the only reason why I ask if it’s possible to get some interviews based on a high MCAT score.

I think your PB performance show this.

That PB GPA will be your saving grace.

No, it's inda late int e cycle, and I'm afraid you'll be competing for a wait-list position. best to wat a few months, and you'll be presenting a much better package

Yes. we've rejected URM candidates with low uGPAs or cGPAs, so it will be best to get that GPA up over the auto-cutoff line.

A few years is fine. One year is not a problem.

It's not bad to do this, but you will need to show how you've improved from the reject pile to the accept pile. Merely doing some volunteer work won't cut it.

Waiting one year isn't going to kill you. You'll be practicing medicine for the next 30-40 years, you know.

I think your PB performance show this.

Thank you for the advice.

So far, everyone has suggested that I wait till at least next cycle before applying, and now after considering it, I think it's probably the best idea. The chances of an acceptance become much better if I can retake 20-30 quarter units of work, and supplement that with new upper div sciences. The only reason I would be applying this cycle is to get my life moving as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Feel free not to answer this if you don't feel comfortable about it, but what was your MCAT score?

Did you apply broadly to DO? I was planning to send out many applications, specifically targeting schools that are friendly to OOS applicants.

Did you apply to any MD schools?
23. I only applied to the "better" DO schools, so if I had applied to the newer schools, maybe I would have had some luck. No MD applications.