URM statistics, primarily due to only a few schools? Or representative overall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has figured out if these statistics http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 or statistics that show URMs getting into medical school with lower scores are the result of only a few schools skewing all results?

Schools that I think could potentially skew statistics:

From 2008/2009 MSAR,
Howard, median gpa is 3.38 and median MCAT 25O, over 81% URM
Morehouse, median gpa is 3.46 (science 3.31) and median MCAT 26O, over 45% URM
Meharry, median gpa is 3.46 (science 3.31) and median MCAT 23O, over 80% URM

THE QUESTION THIS RAISES is do URMs need the same numbers as non-URMs in other schools for the most part? If numbers from the above 3 schools are skewing statistics, then what would these graphs http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 look like without Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry factored in?

(I already read Sector9's post in the provided link. It doesn't answer the question of what gpa/mcat numbers are needed for URMs in most schools.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope, all schools, not just a few.

I was wondering if anyone has figured out if these statistics http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 or statistics that show URMs getting into medical school with lower scores are the result of only a few schools skewing all results?

From 2008/2009 MSAR,

THE QUESTION THIS RAISES is do URMs need the same numbers as non-URMs in other schools for the most part? If numbers from the above 3 schools are skewing statistics, then what would these graphs http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 look like without Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry factored in?

(I already read Sector9's post in the provided link. It doesn't answer the question of what gpa/mcat numbers are needed for URMs in most schools.)

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, that is what I was referring to when I said: (I already read Sector9's post in the provided link. It doesn't answer the question of what gpa/mcat numbers are needed for URMs in most schools.)

If a URM is NOT applying to Meharry, Morehouse, or Howard, are they still likely to get in with a 3.3 gpa and 25 MCAT for a mid-tier MD school in the USA? Are those solid scores for most American mid tier MD schools for a URM?

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was referring to when I said: (I already read Sector9's post in the provided link. It doesn't answer the question of what gpa/mcat numbers are needed for URMs in most schools.)

If a URM is NOT applying to Meharry, Morehouse, or Howard, are they still likely to get in with a 3.3 gpa and 25 MCAT for a mid-tier MD school in the USA? Are those solid scores for most American mid tier MD schools for a URM?

3.3/25? No.

There are a lot of posts by me in the provided thread, so saying you read "the post" is not very specific.

Based on the publicly released data from AAMC, it is impossible to remove certain schools from the data to create new graphs. I would think that a 3.3 GPA and 25 MCAT would be very uncompetitive in allo admissions.

I believe that US News has collected some data on some schools specifying GPA and MCAT for minority students vs. non-minority students. I don't have a current subscription to the US News data so I can't double check that, but that's probably as close as you'll get to see what the GPA and MCAT for these students is on a school-by-school basis.

There are a lot of posts by me in the provided thread, so saying you read "the post" is not very specific.

Based on the publicly released data from AAMC, it is impossible to remove certain schools from the data to create new graphs. I would think that a 3.3 GPA and 25 MCAT would be very uncompetitive in allo admissions.

I believe that US News has collected some data on some schools specifying GPA and MCAT for minority students vs. non-minority students. I don't have a current subscription to the US News data so I can't double check that, but that's probably as close as you'll get to see what the GPA and MCAT for these students is on a school-by-school basis.

I have a subscription, I don't think they let you see GPA/MCAT for minority vs non-minority. They show # applied, interviewed, accepted, matriculated though for each.

Meharry, Morehouse, and Howard all have median MCAT=26,27 GPA ~3.5 nowadays . Comparable to DO schools. If you need proof just look at this years MSAR.

Hell no.

From 2008/2009 MSAR,

The schools in Puerto Rico have median MCAT scores in the 21-23 range.

My friend (An URM AA) was able to get into Indiana and University of Louisville with a 3.4 GPA and 29 MCAT. His stats are somewhat lower than the average stats of both schools. He applied the previous year with the same GPA and 24 MCAT and he did not get any luck because did not want to go to the HBCU and DO schools....I guess if you are URM and want to get into the non HBCU/Puerto Rican schools, you probably will need close to a 3.5 GPA and 27+ MCAT.

Last edited:
My friend (An URM AA) was able to get into Indiana and University of Louisville with a 3.4 GPA and 29 MCAT. His stats are somewhat lower than the average stats of both schools. He applied the previous year with the same GPA and 24 MCAT and he did not get any luck because did not want to go to the HBCU and DO schools....I guess if you are URM and want to get into the non HBCU/Puerto Rican schools, you probably will need close to a 3.5 GPA and 27+ MCAT.

Concur. At least a low 60s LizzyM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile