Urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remote

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you become a urologist? What do you know/think about the field??

Members don't see this ad.

Urology is something I want to give serious consideration to when the time comes. I really like the mix of clinical medicine and surgery.

Only thing I don't like is that the residency is supposedly super long. And looking at dicks all day is probably a little weird for a while.

It's a competitive field. I myself probably wouldn't go for it, but I know a few people that have and they love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've shadowed in urology, and from my perspective I think it would take someone with a firm grip on their emotions. Most of the patients I saw had some form of cancer, and dropping the news all day was emotionally exhausting.

Urology is something I want to give serious consideration to when the time comes. I really like the mix of clinical medicine and surgery.

Only thing I don't like is that the residency is supposedly super long. And looking at dicks all day is probably a little weird for a while.

Long and hard. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I can do it. Performing surgery on the penis will likely give me that weird cringey ticklish feeling in my pants.

Competition is stiff. I'm not saying you need to be a gunner, but a flaccid student may not beat out other students applying to urology residencies.

Other than that, you probably get pissed on a lot more than you get pissed off on the job. You'll probably also deal with a lot of dicks during residency, although you won't encounter as many *******s and douchebags.

Just make sure to do some urology research in medical school and you'll have a third leg up on others.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm only a pre-med, but it's my first choice as of right now. I really haven't heard a single negative thing from any of the faculty I've talked to about it.

I'm only a pre-med, but it's my first choice as of right now. I really haven't heard a single negative thing from any of the faculty I've talked to about it.

First choice? Wow.

Regardless of all the great opportunities, I probably could not do it for my career.

First choice? Wow.

Why not? Good balance between surgery/clinic/research, well-paying, and relatively lifestyle friendly (when compared to other surgical sub-specialties). All the attendings I know are super chill and happily married. Sounds pretty good to me.

Why not? Good balance between surgery/clinic/research, well-paying, and relatively lifestyle friendly (when compared to other surgical sub-specialties). All the attendings I know are super chill and happily married. Sounds pretty good to me.

You mean aside from the obvious reason?

Members don't see this ad :)
Competition is stiff. I'm not saying you need to be a gunner, but a flaccid student may not beat out other students applying to urology residencies.

Other than that, you probably get pissed on a lot more than you get pissed off on the job. You'll probably also deal with a lot of dicks during residency, although you won't encounter as many *******s and douchebags.

Just make sure to do some urology research in medical school and you'll have a third leg up on others.

I see what you did there. Quality.

It's a 5 year residency; that's really not that long

I don't know about Urology....I though it was a very competitive residency?Plus, people flip-flop on what they want to be all the tine anyway.

I don't think I can do it. Performing surgery on the penis will likely give me that weird cringey ticklish feeling in my pants.

It's called an erection, and it's perfectly normal. Your weewee just wants to say hello.

It's called an erection, and it's perfectly normal. Your weewee just wants to say hello.
Wait, so urologists get erections while performing penis surgeries? What a sick group of doctors. Definitely not gonna be a urologist now....

Horrible lifestyle during residency, great lifestyle during practice supposedly. If I wanted to do a procedure-heavy specialty, urology would probably be one of my top picks.

Great specialty for people who have the "surgical personality" but want to have control over their lifestyle. Tons of variety (kidney, bladder, prostate, & genital cancers, incontinence for both M&F, congenital abnormalities, trauma/ reconstruction, kidney stones, BPH, myriad of men's health issues, etc...), and the general urologist who does a little bit of everything is alive and in-demand, which is something that can't really be said for other surgical specialties like ortho or gsurg.

If you're still worried about being a "penis doctor" past age 30, then you'll probably also take offense to the stereotypes facing other specialties in the hospital (gsurg = butt pus, ent = snot docs, ortho = dumb people, IM = do-nothings or "fleas," etc...). Urologists are highly respected in the hospital, because their work is esoteric and GU complaints are extremely common (1/5 of all primary care chief complaints). More icing on the cake is that their professional society (AUA) is actually a legit group/lobby of urologists who keep the specialty moving forward. You can expect urology to be an excellent career choice for the foreseeable future.

That being said, residency is brutal (comparable to gsurg at the top residencies) and getting a spot is very competitive. Need a lot of networking, research, and great numbers. I personally think it's one of the best kept secrets in medicine, but what do I know?

Reactions: 1 users
Great specialty for people who have the "surgical personality" but want to have control over their lifestyle. Tons of variety (kidney, bladder, prostate, & genital cancers, incontinence for both M&F, congenital abnormalities, trauma/ reconstruction, kidney stones, BPH, myriad of men's health issues, etc...), and the general urologist who does a little bit of everything is alive and in-demand, which is something that can't really be said for other surgical specialties like ortho or gsurg.

If you're still worried about being a "penis doctor" past age 30, then you'll probably also take offense to the stereotypes facing other specialties in the hospital (gsurg = butt pus, ent = snot docs, ortho = dumb people, IM = do-nothings or "fleas," etc...). Urologists are highly respected in the hospital, because their work is esoteric and GU complaints are extremely common (1/5 of all primary care chief complaints). More icing on the cake is that their professional society (AUA) is actually a legit group/lobby of urologists who keep the specialty moving forward. You can expect urology to be an excellent career choice for the foreseeable future.

That being said, residency is brutal (comparable to gsurg at the top residencies) and getting a spot is very competitive. Need a lot of networking, research, and great numbers. I personally think it's one of the best kept secrets in medicine, but what do I know?

:thumbup: Thanks for the post. :D

A urologist can be a physician who specializes in diseases of the urinary tract and this male reproductive system. This may include diseases affecting this bladder, urethra, ureters, kidneys, along with adrenal glands, along with the epididymis, penis, prostate, seminal vesicles along with testes specifically in men.

Urology is commonly considered to be a surgical specialty. There are lots of different procedures that urologists perform, such is the scope of urology being a field.

In 2013, there were an estimated 9, 500 urologists in the united states. This number has also been projected to fall to 7, 500 by 2020. It is regarded as being an aging specialty; in 2012, 44% of urologists were aged above 55, 18% were above 65, along with 8% were aged over 70. There are a lot of urologists in orlando and just for example http://www.orlandourologistmd.com/ is one of them.

What is urology?
Urology, the study of conditions of the urinary tract and male reproductive system, is a broad field. Although it is generally classified as a surgical specialty, urologists require knowledge of other specialties such as gynecology and internal medicine due to the wide variety of clinical problems that they have to deal with.

Urologist qualifications
To become a urologist in the US, candidates will graduate from an approved medical school and complete a urology residency program that takes a minimum of 5 years to complete, accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).

When to see a urologist
Patients are advised to seek the advice of a urologist if they experience any problems affecting their urinary system. Male patients should also contact a urologist regarding problems with their reproductive system, annual prostate health checks or if they wish to have a vasectomy.

It actually does list urologists: #8 on the right side
Ah, thanks. Kinda hard to find for some reason, thus the "seem to..." in my post. @allantois posted a graph with specialties against income and GOP affiliation, in another thread. The positive correlation with income and GOP contribution was fairly strong.

I'm uncomfortable around any other peewee's other than my future husbands.