US/EU double resident, US premed, seeking to practice in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WmPet77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a junior pre-medical student at a US university. I moved to the US 15 years ago from an EU country and now have a double citizenship. I am very interested in having a life and a medical career in an English-friendly European country, and was wondering how I might go about doing this. Should I get my medical degree here and then make the move, or is there an affordable way to get a postgraduate medical education in the EU (UK?)?

Also, can I expect to benefit from my EU citizenship (in terms of tuition, job placement, etc) if I have not resided in the EU since 1997?

Any advise or direction is much appreciated. This is a bit of an odd case, and I really haven't found anything useful online.

Members don't see this ad.

jkg

Last edited:
If you can get into Medical School in the UK you should be able to practice in the UK after graduation. UK medical school is quite difficult to get and because you are not a EU resident, only citizen you are classed as an International fee payer, meaning you have to pay higher tuition fees. However, i believe once you graduate you can apply as a EU citizen so you shouldn't suffer discrimination when applying for postgraduate medical jobs.

If you do medical education in the US, you will have to write PLAB i think to get to the UK, but it shouldn't be too difficult because a US education is a good one, a lot of countries will want it.
I don't know why you want to practice in Europe but know that Europe has lower working hours, but also lower pay. Doctors in Europe make around 100k-150k US dollars a year but won't work more than 50 hours a week for sure, most maybe around 40. Certainly there is a much smaller gap between specialties in terms of pay.

I would choose US medical school because you might change your mind and going to the UK then trying to come back is more difficult than going to the US and then trying to go to the UK. USMLE is a much bigger hassle than PLAB.