USC interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't know the model number...but i bought it from UOP's online student store...just go to their site & click on student store...then look for the CA-board typodont (NOT the Restorative Board typodont)...they also sell extra teeth...but if u haven't already bought a typodont, then maybe u should consider getting the columbia typo...UCLA & USC use it for their pre-clinical classes...as for the kilgore...i'm assuming UOP uses it....another point to consider is that the it's also used in the CA-state licensing exam...good luck ;)

Members don't see this ad.

hey,
is everyone getting both high speed and slow speed handpiece??or only hiigh speed??pls lemme know...also, pl suggest some cheap deals on handpieces...thanks

does anyone know from where we can rent the instruments and hand piece for the USC exam.its too expensive to buy the equipment.please let me know asap

Members don't see this ad :)
can anybody tell me that from where should i buy low speed handpiece(its expensive than high speed handpiece).

USC mentions Columbia Typodont SMPVR 860. Is Columbia Typodont SMPVR 861/862 compatible?

thx

Yes it is but it should be equilibirated.
I also have a question. Should we put plaster on typodont before going to usc or we will put plaster on typodont thr only. PLz reply

QUOTE=goodluck_77;4289068]USC mentions Columbia Typodont SMPVR 860. Is Columbia Typodont SMPVR 861/862 compatible?

thx[/QUOTE]

what is equilibirated ?
how did u get urs done?pls let me know...

thanx

does anyone know what kind of survey questions are going to be asked for usc interview.

I can rent high speed handpiece and slow speed handpiece for interviews cause that suff is way too expensive to buy.
Let me know ASAp who wants it. I have limited quantities.Mail at [email protected]

hey helpfuldoc...check ur pm please.
thanks.
asg

Ur typodont shouuld have all teeth in contact and there should be in proper occlusion

what is equilibirated ?
how did u get urs done?pls let me know...

thanx

After a while, tonight I had a chance to surf on this incredible web forum. I am first year ASPID student at USC. for those of you who got USC interview, wish you the best and would be glad to answer any lingering question you may have. Last year I have been through all this! Just fight on and be patient!!

Members don't see this ad :)
can you shed some light on wht PBL is ,few examples pls and can you tell us wht they expect in the interview ,wht practicle exercises did you have last year.since they are no individual interview how do they assess the applicants in a group,wht do they look for.pls share your experiences from last year.Thanks.

After a while, tonight I had a chance to surf on this incredible web forum. I am first year ASPID student at USC. for those of you who got USC interview, wish you the best and would be glad to answer any lingering question you may have. Last year I have been through all this! Just fight on and be patient!!

im looking for a roommate for 27th oct..if anyone is arriving early like me n wants to share accomodation,pls pm me..

I am waiting for my visa, if I get it before the 29, then I will probably look for a room in LA, if anyone wants a room mate let me know.

Cheers~

What is all the fuss about the group interview! does anyone know anyhting about it?

I've got lots of PM's about dexterity test and PBL interview. I rather to reply them on forum. about practical exam, last year they gave us 4 preparations to do in 4 hours. they were 3/4 crown on upper first molar, cl II on upper premolar, PFM on lower premolar and cl III on lower central incisor. somebody asked about measurments of PFM prep. This is what USC teaches: Occlusal reduction: 1.7-2.5 (optimum is 2mm) axial reduction on buccal is 1.3 and on lingual is .65 mm. margin design is shoulder on buccal and shoulder bevel or chamfer on lingual. if you are comfortable with shoulder bevel, it's preferred cause USC likes it alot more than chamfer. regarding 3/4 crown should you prep proximal grooves or proximal boxes? it's all about presence and extension of cavity. if they said there is no cavity on proximals go for grooves but if they said like there is a 2 mm cavity on mesial then definitely go for box. last year many of candidates were screwed up by not knowing this fact:( same thing applies for cl III preparation. if they dont mention that cavity passed thru the proximal contact dont go beyond the contact point and dont include the labial surface.
Hey guys, there is no reason to be stressed out. I'm serious. it's very straight and hassle free. generally speaking if you dont make major mistakes like nicking the adjacent tooth or having undercut on casting preparations or not having undercut on cl II..... you'll be in for sure.
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO GOT LOW STATS, IF YOU PROVIDE DESCENT PREPS YOU WILL MAKE IT BECAUSE DEXTERITY TEST VALUES A LOT MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE FOR USC SO BE HOPEFUL:thumbup:
oh somebody asked about retentive grooves on cl II....yes definitely you should put retentive grooves on axiaobuccal and axiolingual lineangles on buccal and lingual walls not on axial wall. it has AT LEAST .5mm depth at the bottom of the box and is getting less as it goes up and fades out a little upper than above pulpoaxial lineangle. make undercut on anywall except the dovetail and axial wall.
about PBL.... it's very important too. they'll give you a non dental case and your facilitator is not dentist.here is how it goes: you read the case and list all facts which are mentioned directly in the case then based on those facts you supposed to come up with some nice ideas and then address you learning needs which you sould look them up. BEING SO TALKATIVE OR SO QUIET WILL GRADE YOU DOWN. dont say bull... and junk ideas.RESPECT EACH OTHER AND DONT INTERRUPT THEM. talk to each other not to facilitator. dont ask anything about the case from your facilitator because this is against the soul of PBL. and even it's nice if you throw a question regarding the case. the philosophy of PBL is discuss (not to compete) and share yor information and ask your questions and then finally recognize your learning needs. for those of you who scheduled for the afternoon it's a great advantage to get the papers from other candidates (if they dont mind:laugh:)after morning sessions(cases are usually repeatetive) and read it and think about good ideas.....
any specific question, feel free to ask.
GOOD LUCK everybody!

hi
the class 2 prep is for amalgam or for composite ?
what are the differences between the 2 preps for both .

In PBL is mainly dicussing amoung ourselves , and the facilitator will judge us or we discuss it with the facilitator ?

hi perfectdent,
thanks very much for your valuable information ,can u give an example of non dental case for pbl,jus to get some idea.and when you say box in 3/4 crown preparatin do you mean proximal box similar to MOD or boxes only on proximal sides with out occlusal extention.

Thanks perfectdentist, very useful information you have given.

hi Perfectdent,
thank you,you have been extremely helpful about what to expect.Where there any issues about typhodonts on the day?As in what if someone gets stuck with the typo?

hi
the class 2 prep is for amalgam or for composite ?
what are the differences between the 2 preps for both .

In PBL is mainly dicussing amoung ourselves , and the facilitator will judge us or we discuss it with the facilitator ?

Cl II prep is for amalgam and it's design is totally different than cl III.don't mixed them up!
In PBL you discuss the case just with your teammates not with the facilitator. his/her role is just watching and evaluate your performance.

hi perfectdent,
thanks very much for your valuable information ,can u give an example of non dental case for pbl,jus to get some idea.and when you say box in 3/4 crown preparatin do you mean proximal box similar to MOD or boxes only on proximal sides with out occlusal extention.

as an example for PBL case our case last year was about a man who got food poisoning and you supposed to find out what was the possible reason based on the facts and information which were provided.
Yes 3/4 crown with box looks like an MOD Onlay (of course not completely).

hi Perfectdent,
thank you,you have been extremely helpful about what to expect.Where there any issues about typhodonts on the day?As in what if someone gets stuck with the typo?

There is nothing specific about typodont that I can mention. just make sure it is nicely equilibrated. in case if something unexpectedly happened during the exam session, ask one of the proctors to make a note on your grading sheet about the existing problem.

Hi Cavity 79,

They admit 32 people every year. as I said before the dexterity test weighs a lot for USC. If you mess it up, you will be out no matter how good are your stats.

hey perfectdent,

where do v get our typodont equilibrated??time is running out n i dunno where n how to get it equilibrated..pls advice

hey perfectdent,

where do v get our typodont equilibrated??time is running out n i dunno where n how to get it equilibrated..pls advice

I don't know what to say..... if you buy a brand new typodont from manufacturer they will equilibrate it for free and you just have to pay S&H. as you said time is runnin' out and this doesn't seem a good idea. if you live in california, come to school and find a senior student or prosth grad student and ask them to do it for you. If typodont is brand new and intact,its equilibration is easy. another option is call Dr. Duggan's institute and ask for it. possibly his representative will be accessible on exam site and he probably sells typodonts( I'm not sure, call them up!). if you know the concept of equilibration you can do it on your own and save a lot of money:thumbup:
wish you the best!

hey perfectdent,

As far as I known, you can order directly from the USC Bookstore sending by fax the itmes/instruments you would need to buy, and give them your address to shipping you.:D
I ordered only the items I needed:)
Good luck:luck:

Thanks perfectdent for finding the time n patience to ans our queries.

hi perfect dentist ,
thanks for all your very valuable information .
could you please tell what are the particular details we have to bear in mind while doing 3/4 crown .

how far do we extend proximally , which bur to use to make grooves , do we bevel the occlusal surface and where .
thanks

Hi Cavity 79,

They admit 32 people every year. as I said before the dexterity test weighs a lot for USC. If you mess it up, you will be out no matter how good are your stats.

Thanks perfectdent for ur quick response..I really appreciate it.....
sincerely
cavity79

Hi perfectdent,
Thanks for the all information. But i still confuse abt 3/4 preparation with proximal box.can u give some more details abt it like if caries is on one side..then should we make box only that side like class2 inlay.
One more que. .. in my typodont i got some scratches in interdental plastic(which resembles gingiva). Would it matter or i should buy new one.

as an example for PBL case our case last year was about a man who got food poisoning and you supposed to find out what was the possible reason based on the facts and information which were provided.
Yes 3/4 crown with box looks like an MOD Onlay (of course not completely).

Thanks perfectdent for your valuable information:)

Hi perfectdent,
Thanks for the all information. But i still confuse abt 3/4 preparation with proximal box.can u give some more details abt it like if caries is on one side..then should we make box only that side like class2 inlay.
One more que. .. in my typodont i got some scratches in interdental plastic(which resembles gingiva). Would it matter or i should buy new one.

hi
even if caries is on one side,proximal box is made on both mesial and distal sides

hi perfect dentist ,
thanks for all your very valuable information .
could you please tell what are the particular details we have to bear in mind while doing 3/4 crown .

how far do we extend proximally , which bur to use to make grooves , do we bevel the occlusal surface and where .
thanks
Hi,
Regarding 3/4 crown : occlusal reduction 1-1.7 mm(optimum is 1.5) axial reduction .65mm clearance from adjacent tooth: .25 on esthetic areas like mesial of #5 and .75mm on non-esthetic areas. You can use bur 170-L to prep the grooves but this is not the only one... any tapered fissure with proper diameter is ok...... if you prep an upper tooth place a HORIZONTAL bevel on buccal cusp tips. if it's a lower tooth put a regular bevel on the margin of your offset. proper width of bevel is .5- 0.8 mm
its very important that your margin be consistent all around your preparation.

Hi perfectdent,

There is a contraversy about your question, in a conservative look, placing a box in an area caries does not exist is unacceptable however your prep looks ugly, anyway those of us who placed box on both sides were ok last year so....

if the scratches are light, it's fine but if they are deep you can simply change it's gum which I beleive is about $25.

hey perfectdent,
few more doubts..hope u can help
1) class 3 and class 5 preps for composite, we have to do the bevelled conventional prep right? can u pls list the dimensions.
2) in class 2 amalgam, if caries is only on 1 prox surface, do u have to include the opposite pit in the occlusal outline form?

waitin for ur reply..thanks

thanks, for patiently answering our ques nd doubts...
could you pls explain a little abt 'offsets' ... which preps will need offsets? and how do we go abt tht...
i m totally confused abt this offset....is it the same as 'occlusal shoulder'??

pls can somebody clarify??

Hi Perfectdent,

Thanks for all your support.

In test , they will give us conditions and we have to decide what prep we should make or they will just tell us - make 3/4,PFM.

Thanks.

Hi Perfectdent,
Could you please let us know how about the width of the gingival plan of the box in cl II prep. 1.0 or 1.5 is perfect?
Thanks for your kindness.
Validity

hi perfectdent,,thanx a lot for all ur help..well i have one small doubt regarding offset and occlusal shoulder,,i thought offset is only for maxillary molars and for mandibular its occlusal shoulder when we r doing 3/4's and mod onlays.....plzzz help

thanx a lot again...

i even want to know if we r asked to make boxes for 3/4,,do we have to make only box or extend it as mod 3/4....

i even want to know if we r asked to make boxes for 3/4,,do we have to make only box or extend it as mod 3/4....
as far as I know,If we are asked to prepare boxes then we just have to prepare boxes...no need to extend it as MOD.

hey perfectdent,

r v allowed to use matrix bands to protect the adjacent teeth in the exam???????

I am a reapplicant to USC. I thought one of the preps last year was 7/8, it was 3/4? For PFM, is shoulder in facial and chamfer in lingual for all teeth, right? Please correct me if I am wrong. And for class II is it always necessary the retentions on the proximal box?

Thanks in advance!!!

hey perfectdent,

r v allowed to use matrix bands to protect the adjacent teeth in the exam???????

Hi rachna!

Unfortunally you are not allowed to use matrix.

hey perfectdent,
few more doubts..hope u can help
1) class 3 and class 5 preps for composite, we have to do the bevelled conventional prep right? can u pls list the dimensions.
2) in class 2 amalgam, if caries is only on 1 prox surface, do u have to include the opposite pit in the occlusal outline form?

waitin for ur reply..thanks

Hi,
1) for ideal classIII with lingual approach you should place a 0.5 mm bevel all around cavosurface area except the contact area. For CL V,it depends, ideally you place a 0.5mm bevel on gingival cavosurface and a very wide bevel(at least 1 mm) on occlusal cavosurface.and if the cavity is very close to CEJ you are not supposed to place bevel on gingival area at all. The dimensions of an ideal Cl III : Incisogingivally it starts right gingival to contact area and goes towards the embrasure until you get 0.5 clearance from adjacent tooth. It's mesiodistal dimension is not certain but the accepted range is about 1.2 to 1.5 mm(theoretically you supposed to pass the DEJ so it's all about the thickness of enamel on that specific area). depth of the cavity increases as you move from center of the tooth towards the proximal. the maximum depth is the area thet you supposed to get 0-0.2 buccal clearance from the adjacent tooth.

2) for lower molars and upper premolars yes, but for lower premolars and upper molars no.

thanks, for patiently answering our ques nd doubts...
could you pls explain a little abt 'offsets' ... which preps will need offsets? and how do we go abt tht...
i m totally confused abt this offset....is it the same as 'occlusal shoulder'??

pls can somebody clarify??

Hi,
The rason of placing offset is just to reinforce the metal on that specific area. you place offset on 3/4 and 7/8 gold preparations. On lower teeth instead of offset you've got a buccal shoulder.

Hi Perfectdent,

Thanks for all your support.

In test , they will give us conditions and we have to decide what prep we should make or they will just tell us - make 3/4,PFM.

Thanks.

Hi,

yes,they make up a case and you supposed to change the ideal design of the prep according to that case(usually for just one prep).