USC Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am finding the pressure too hard.. I still haven't got ant information about how to prepare for the practical exam. I dont kno if theres any place like dugans in ny..so guys how r u preparing for crown peps??coz a compressor is very costly..i hav left it all to god

Members don't see this ad.

I am finding the pressure too hard.. I still haven't got ant information about how to prepare for the practical exam. I dont kno if theres any place like dugans in ny..so guys how r u preparing for crown peps??coz a compressor is very costly..i hav left it all to god

Hi there im in the same boat. I am very tensed...leave it to god..my prep is too too bad

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you toothfairy

Benny- day of bench exam you can wear whatever you want. I would suggest dressing in layers so that if you are hot/cold you can take the layers off/on accordingly.

Alident- they will NOT tell you to do a 7/8 crown. they will give you a case scenario and ask you to use your best judgement. For wax pattern they give you a block of wax and dimentions for a tooth (last time it was #8) and ask you to carve it out of the wax block. for RPD Design they want you to take a red/blue pencil and make a design on PAPER (Not not not A MODEL). kind of like a design you would give to your lab technician if you made an rpd for a patient. last time it was Class II modification I i believe .
as for cavity prep, again, they give you a scenario so you ahve to use your best judgement!

heres a hint- like trintrin said....DONT BOTHER buying ALL the instruments they ahve listed, it will cost you literally $3000 ....just use what you have and take your OWN TYPODONT and instruments. USC will NOT give you anything.

Hope all this helps!

Good luck to all of you guys who got invitation but the question is, dose the time come to say hard luck to those who didn't get one, dose the USC done with invitations? or there is still hope!!! Please, anyone know any information share it with us! :cool:

Drivory...I believe that by oct 1st,they will get confirmed response from candidates who will not be attending the interview due to their acceptances elsewhere.They have mentioned that at that time,they will give chance to wait listed candidates.so don't lose hope:thumbup:

Drivory...I believe that by oct 1st,they will get confirmed response from candidates who will not be attending the interview due to their acceptances elsewhere.They have mentioned that at that time,they will give chance to wait listed candidates.so don't lose hope:thumbup:

Thank you rose82, I appreciate it.

Does anyone know what kind of typodont we should bring for the exam ? it should be Columbia or any other typodont?

Does anyone know what kind of typodont we should bring for the exam ? it should be Columbia or any other typodont?

So far, they have been asking for Columbia typodont.

hey dentiqueen, did you get any email from USC for required instruments? I didn't get anything after interview invitation. pls do reply

So far, they have been asking for Columbia typodont.

hey dentiqueen, did you get any email from USC for required instruments? I didn't get anything after interview invitation. pls do reply

No I have not received any list as of yet. I think they should send it out to us by next week when they send the second list out. Good luck with the interview. R u from LA area?

Thnx dentiqueen for your reply,

If anyone in LA got the mail from usc regarding the instruments please share it here cause other people will get the letter later and It's hard to buy the stuff in a short time , Thnx

hey guys, i never prepared a 3/4 or 7/8 crown in dental school before but is there a standard step-by-step procedure? or are there variations?

for example, does the 7/8 crown universally require an occlusal offset and facial bevel for maxillary posteriors?

any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case scenarios do we just do the cutting or filling is also required??
not sure if enough time will be available to do all the preps and fillings too?
why do uni's remain so discrete about their preps?? I am so nervous and scared.

Can you guys who are invited for interviews at USC please post your scores and stats.. Thank you

hey dentiqueen, thank you for your reply and i am not in LA area.

No I have not received any list as of yet. I think they should send it out to us by next week when they send the second list out. Good luck with the interview. R u from LA area?

If on second day, PBL is dental related or they provide any topic?

No filling is required (as of last year).... just preps... time provided was also enough...

In case scenarios do we just do the cutting or filling is also required??
not sure if enough time will be available to do all the preps and fillings too?
why do uni's remain so discrete about their preps?? I am so nervous and scared.

Topic is not dental related.... it is random just to check your communication skills and team work abilities....

If on second day, PBL is dental related or they provide any topic?

Hey Frens

Please tell me the name of wax for carving practice? Where can I get that? How we can practice for RPD exercise. I don know what I will do in practical exam. PLease replysoonnnn

Thanx

has anyone got the link for payment of fees from USC.?..plz reply soon..
thanks

Guys,

Is it true we can hold the typodont in the hand while doing our preps in the exam?

this is my first interview call...n m super tensed..!! i dono wa all to prepare?? for tooth preparations can we hold the diphos in hand?? is it true ?? are they supposed to be done on a manikin? indirect vision 2 for upp??
what about wax carving ?? will we get the dimensions and the pictures 2?? ive never practiced it and neither can i carve a tooth without a picture of it in front ?? well that be allowed??? what teeth ?? can someone suggest some good book? or some online video for it??

RPD designs?? how to prepare?? and what ??

PLZZZZZZ HELP....
thanks

I got the email from Lauren regarding the equipment we need for the practical exam , anyone knows from the list what we need to bring exactly? And how can we order the materials?

well even i have the same question, what all do we actually need from the list!!!!

Also from the list can some one tell whether we need a boley gauge??? Also it says we need a Highspeed handpiece - Traditional POL, whats this traditional POL??? i know that i have a 4 hole High speed handpiece....it also says we need a handpiece adapter with it, whats this adapter???

please, any help will be much appreciated!!!

just received a email from USC. they have mentioned long list of instruments that cost about 2600$. so do we need to purchase all those??????plz help

just received a email from USC. they have mentioned long list of instruments that cost about 2600$. so do we need to purchase all those??????plz help
One most important thing is handpiece which is with 4 hole attachment so this will cost around $500..now if we want to use both slow and fast then $1000..otherwise try finding if someone can give it to you on rent..
This application process has drilled a hole in my pocket...Not sure what to buy and what to leave..

Hey Frens

Please tell me the name of wax for carving practice? Where can I get that? How we can practice for RPD exercise. I don know what I will do in practical exam. PLease replysoonnnn

Thanx
You should read an RPD text. The book by Kroll is actually good and easy to understand. Know your major and minor connectors, what clasps to use when, indirect retainers (where indicated). Know what color pencil(blue/red) to use where. It's not too bad.

One most important thing is handpiece which is with 4 hole attachment so this will cost around $500..now if we want to use both slow and fast then $1000..otherwise try finding if someone can give it to you on rent..
This application process has drilled a hole in my pocket...Not sure what to buy and what to leave..
If you know current students try to get from them. Otherwise get instruments you are comfortable using. Eg- Cl 2 if you use 330, 56, 57 just take those. You may not need 167 L, 1//4 round and so on. Or for full gold crown of you use 856-016, 856-012 and fine diamonds just take those. Just what you were practicing with.

Hi
If u could explain as to where what color pencils blue or red are used?Thanks
You should read an RPD text. The book by Kroll is actually good and easy to understand. Know your major and minor connectors, what clasps to use when, indirect retainers (where indicated). Know what color pencil(blue/red) to use where. It's not too bad.

hey usc graduates,

is there any place nearby Usc from where we can rent the instruments for the bench exam.Please do reply.

Thanks.....

what do you guys think are the must-buy instruments?

are the hatchets and angle formers necessary if I dont routinely use during preparations?

i'm also curious as to why we need the straight slow speed handpiece.

am i taking too much of a risk by going into the exam without bringing everything mentioned on the list?

I think we can bring instruments that we use during our practice.no need to worry about angle formers etc...
What I'm worried about is the hand piece.I don't think our 4 hole would work here..what is everybody doing about the hand piece? 500+ bucks is too much.
Also are you guys working on the wax exercise?neither do I have a carver,nor a wax block.
Please any suggestions..I'm unable to think how to prepare for this exam.

Hey Frens

Please tell me the place to buy wax blocks and carver? Don know how to prepare for the exam.

I dont think this is the evance knife but the wax blocks are the right ones. I checked from one of the previous forums. Will we be allowed to use any other carver like from this link or it jut has to be evace wax knife no 1 that loks quite different and is for 14$ on ebay.

Regarding the high speed handpiece i called the school and they said as long as it is 4 hole one it is fine. it need not be the traditional pol type which is nothing but it refers to one type of head of the headpiece. I got mine directly from the company for 489$ that is better than the midwest company that the USC book store is offering.
I dont think this is the evance knife but the wax blocks are the right ones. I checked from one of the previous forums. Will we be allowed to use any other carver like from this link or it jut has to be evace wax knife no 1 that loks quite different and is for 14$ on ebay.

wow! so any 4 hole handpiece is ok? is that for both high speed and low speed handpieces? may i ask you where you got yours?

is anyone bringing the entire slow speed handpiece system? i really don't want to spend all that money. :scared: i also noticed that slow speed burs weren't on the list so will we really use the slow speed system?

Regarding the high speed handpiece i called the school and they said as long as it is 4 hole one it is fine. it need not be the traditional pol type which is nothing but it refers to one type of head of the headpiece. I got mine directly from the company for 489$ that is better than the midwest company that the USC book store is offering.

some of the NEW 4 hole handpieces on ebay are only $30-40! why is there such a huge price difference? i can buy 15 of those handpieces with $500!!!

some of the NEW 4 hole handpieces on ebay are only $30-40! why is there such a huge price difference? i can buy 15 of those handpieces with $500!!!
that are made in china don't buy that that are very low quality

I got mine from china and it works very well.I just called the store and asked them if getting the adaptor alone is fine if I have a 4 hole hand piece.he said it's perfectly ok.what I'm thinking is,just in case it doesn't work,there is no option to buy the hand piece then as the store closes on our exam day.The guy confirmed it twice though that any 4 hole should work with their hand piece and not just fibreoptic.
Can anyone confirm if anyone has gone this way?

@lalamode....some burs fit into both high and slow...but if you can manage with high speed alone..I don't see why we need slow speed.I'm not going to buy the slow speed one.

god this is all confusing....

@ rose82, since u have a 4 hole high speed handpiece why would u need a adapter for that , shouldn't it fit directly to the connector with those grey tubings??? i have a 4 hole handpiece, but m confused abt this adapter...i thought the adapter is required for those who have 2 or 3 hole handpiece to convert it to 4 hole....isn't it???

please someone throw some light....

Beats me...I thought the adaptor was to connect any hand piece to THEIR tubing.someone told me that sometimes some hand pieces don't fit in their equipment.
now that you said it,I'm confused as well.please someone who attended last years exam,shed some light on this...

i agree with dental genius... if we have the 4 hole handpiece, why would we need an adapter? The tubing should connect directly with a 4-hole handpiece.

so i'm guessing the high speed handpiece (Tradition POL) on the equipment list is a 2,3-hole handpiece which needs an adapter.

what do you guys think??

i agree with dental genius... if we have the 4 hole handpiece, why would we need an adapter? The tubing should connect directly with a 4-hole handpiece.

so i'm guessing the high speed handpiece (Tradition POL) on the equipment list is a 2,3-hole handpiece which needs an adapter.

what do you guys think??

That is exactly what i was thinking, they r giving a 2-3 hole handpiece on the list and that is why mentioned about the adapter too. I feel we can call the USC store and confirm that the handpiece they r giving is 2-3 hole....

All new chairs and simulation labs come with 2-3 four hole tubings which are universal. I stronglyfeel that our 4 hole handpiece will fit directly with it. We would need a adapter only for slow speed, in case one intends to use....

Also i have a question, matrix band is not on the list. Can some one tell whether we are allowed to use matrix band or not and also would we require a boley gauge...???

Thanks to alll...

That is exactly what i was thinking, they r giving a 2-3 hole handpiece on the list and that is why mentioned about the adapter too. I feel we can call the USC store and confirm that the handpiece they r giving is 2-3 hole....

All new chairs and simulation labs come with 2-3 four hole tubings which are universal. I stronglyfeel that our 4 hole handpiece will fit directly with it. We would need a adapter only for slow speed, in case one intends to use....

Also i have a question, matrix band is not on the list. Can some one tell whether we are allowed to use matrix band or not and also would we require a boley gauge...???

Thanks to alll...
hi ,
a regular 4- hole handpiece will work in usc and you are not allowed to use matrix bands. 2 or 3 hole handpieces are slow speed in case you need them for making retentive grooves in class 2 otherwise a regular 4- hole will be sufficient.

Not allowed to use Matrix bands?? Thats going to be tough,can we atleast use wedges,sis?

Hey Sandrad

Thank you so much for replying my question. It is stressful time for everyone. But helping each other is really good. I have a four hole handpiece and I bought it for 275. If anyone interested I can tell you the address of place.

Thanx