USC or NYU?

EntireTree

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got accepted to both schools but I have no idea which to choose for premed.
Disregard the tuition factor. I know they're both expensive as hell but I can afford the tuition of both schools, so I'm just looking at the schools themselves.

I'm very familiar with New York and lived most of my life in the east coast. If I go to NYU, I can build upon connections there since there's a **** ton of hospitals and medical centers in New York, and I know many friends living there who can help me along the way. Personally, I dislike the city of New York, but I feel like I'll perform better academically and have a higher chance of success for med-school if I go to NYU.

Despite this, I feel like I'll be happier in USC. The campus and student life seems more fun, everything seems much more relaxed, and its an overall higher ranked school. I used to live in LA when I was very young, yet I still remember how much I loved it. Yet, I have zero clue on USC's pre-med educational curriculum and how well it fares, especially on how it compares to NYU's. If someone can fill in the holes for me on how good USC's academics are, that'd be great.

But yeah, which school has the better premed program or is right for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Serious question, USC (University of Southern California) or USC (University of South Carolina)?

Members don't see this ad :)
USC's surrounding area isn't great, but SoCal as a general culture is awesome. Go there if you feel you'll be happier and more relaxed. Both will have resources for premeds (research, nearby clinical stuff) and they both graduate ~300 medical applicants each year. "Educational curriculum" doesn't really vary that much between schools like this - you're going to be in giant impersonal lectures for a year each of Chem, Bio, Orgo, Physics and have to survive weedout against a good student body at both schools. If finances aren't a concern at all, go for USC.

Oh this is for premed? Go to the one you enjoy the most. You'll thank yourself 4 years from now.

Went to nyu for undergrad, it was the typical large school premed experience. Tons of students, grading wasn't optimal and advising was average. Go where you'll be happiest - you never know you might not want to do medicine in the future. Best of luck

You will not "make connections" at the "sh** ton" of hospitals in NYC by going to NYU. You are a premed. Nobody cares about premeds.

Just go wherever you feel more comfortable and where family/friends are closest.

That and wherever is cheaper.

Why you are considering two of the most expensive schools in the country, I have no idea...

You will not "make connections" at the "sh** ton" of hospitals in NYC by going to NYU. You are a premed. Nobody cares about premeds.

Not entirely true. By being in NYC, you're opening up hundreds of doors to volunteer opportunities you may not be able to find at USC, at least not in the same wide range/diversity of choices. While these volunteer opportunities likely will not get your foot in the door nor your name in anyone's mind–also not necessarily true; I volunteered at an ED for 3 years and got to see many residents graduate and come on, and am on great terms with several PGY-3 and 4s and will definitely keep in touch with them as I further my own medical education–they will definitely help your application.